Thread: paper bag drying

smok'in a dubie is offline Registered

Question paper bag drying

This might sound odd, but in all my reading I'm still not sure how to dry my bud in a paper bag.
    Do you put the entire plant in the bag?
    Do you trim all the leaves, and then put just the buds in the bag?
    Do you punch holes in the bag?
    Do the trichs stick to the bag?
    Perhaps someone can point be to a sticky or other post where this was explained in detail.
    My first lady just started to stink up the place, her hairs are turning brown and I have seen a few amber trichs, so I guess it's getting close.

Thanks

kdspecial is offline Registered+
    I've herd people talk about drying this way. But I have yet to see anyone do it or hear how they did it. I wouold also like to know.

kd
    Puff, Puff Pass......... with music from www.SoMuchSoul.com

BOYZNUS is offline Registered+
    I CUT THE PLANT

I TRIM THE PLANT

I HANG THE WHOLE PLANT FOR 2 DAYS

I CUT THE BUDS OFF OF THE STEMS

I PUT THE BUDS IN A PAPER BAG, A FEW LAYERS DEEP, AND CLOSE THE BAG

I OPEN THE BAG EVERY FEW HOURS FOR THE FIRST 3 DAYS. LET EM BREATH FOR A FEW HOURS

I THEN PUT THEM ALL IN A ZIP-LOCK BAGGIE, AND LET THE MOISTURE COME OUT A BIT. LET IT BREATH FOR A LITTLE BIT EACH DAY

AFTER 3-4 DAYS,, IT'S READY TO SMOKE
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

canuck grower is offline Registered+
    Ok this is not the same thing, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it.

Can you hang the buds a little longer than 2 days and then go straight to ziplocks?
    First grow, bagseed, smells like mango 250W HPS cab 7 girls harvested, ~6 oz yielded

Second grow, 2x Northern Lights 250W HPS closet around 2oz yielded

10x Satori and 8x God's Treat in a perpetual(ish) SOG!

On Thai stick:
    Quote Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    Don't forget, smoking this stuff made a whole generation think that the Doors were talented.

BOYZNUS is offline Registered+
    I DO THOSE NUMBER OF DAYS TO REMOVE THE STEM ASAP, WHICH ALLOWS MORE EVEN DRYING FASTER
    Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

scough is offline Registered

Red face

What i've read everywhere, and what I'm just starting to do as well, is this: Chop the plant and hang it upside down in a cool DARK place with decent air circulation. then anywhere from a few days to a week or so, the buds should be dry enough to start curing. To see if the buds are dry enough, you should be able to bend a branch that the buds are on and it should snap. Mine took about a week.....then get some Mason jars (something airtight and glass preferably) and put only the buds inside, filling it up about 3/4 full giving it room to breath. Over the first 5 days or so, open the jars up twice a day allowing them to exchange bad air for fresh air. the second week, you only need to open them once a day to begin with......then everyother, and so on.........after 2 weeks, they are ready to smoke!.....BUT, the longer you cure, the better the buds become (as far as taste and smell). Its almost like aging wine so to speak...............anyways, this is what i picked up after doing some light reading...............and here's a pic of my bud just before going into the jars.......Strawberry cough.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paper bag drying-p2130612.jpg  

Racerx is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by scough View Post
    What i've read everywhere, and what I'm just starting to do as well, is this: Chop the plant and hang it upside down in a cool DARK place with decent air circulation. then anywhere from a few days to a week or so, the buds should be dry enough to start curing. To see if the buds are dry enough, you should be able to bend a branch that the buds are on and it should snap. Mine took about a week.....then get some Mason jars (something airtight and glass preferably) and put only the buds inside, filling it up about 3/4 full giving it room to breath. Over the first 5 days or so, open the jars up twice a day allowing them to exchange bad air for fresh air. the second week, you only need to open them once a day to begin with......then everyother, and so on.........after 2 weeks, they are ready to smoke!.....BUT, the longer you cure, the better the buds become (as far as taste and smell). Its almost like aging wine so to speak...............anyways, this is what i picked up after doing some light reading...............and here's a pic of my bud just before going into the jars.......Strawberry cough.....
    booyah! couldn't have said it better myself. the less your bud gets handled and the less it touches other bud, the more potent it will be. THC degrades very quickly when the trichromes are ruptured (from contact).

divestoned Guest
    the paper bag is more intended for the curing part of the deal.

razzapiggy is offline Registered+
    I am interested to hear what other people do as well. I am a week and a half from being done with my first grow. For now the plant is hang them upside down in a dark room with got air circulation for 4-5 days to get the initial drying under my belt. Then I am torn between doing jars, or bags. I am yielding at least a pound, so I'm guessing I would need a lot of paper bags (maybe twenty?) to spread the bud out into. Or would jars work better..what ya guys think? Anyhow, I was going to cure from there for another 2 weeks ... sneaking a taste here and there to see how it's coming along.
    Let the good times roll!!

divestoned Guest
    no need to spread the bud to thin a couple bags will do its dry by then so mold is not a prob.the bag is designed to absorb any excess moisture anyhow...your looking to "marinade" it very similar to steak

Dive

bejay is offline Registered+
    while there is several ways of drying bud if your interested in the bag method this is how ive always done it, after cutting the plant, manicure and remove the buds and then place buds straight in to a paper bag and open the bag atleast once a day to allow them to breath then reclose the bag and continue to do this until its dry enough to smoke, so take samples occasionaly might only take a few days could take longer like up to a week once it is dry then I strip the buds off the stem and put them straight into a ziplock and your done.
    the main difference that I see from what others have posted is I dont hang mine for a couple of days.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Wink

....I tried the hanging the plants up for 2 weeks..(prefered) and laying weed on screens..(not so good)...and a few in paper bags..(don't like it)..

...but into jars after drying is the way to go...plastic is not an oxygen barrier..ps.. less air in jar is better..don't pack it..just loosely to the top..

..oxygen(air)-light-heat...degrades THC..store jars in cool, dry place..enjoy....

MadHatter79 is offline Registered+
    I cut the plant at the base, seperate the larger limbs, cut off as many leaves as I can before my arms gets numb, and then leave everything hanging upside for two days somewhere dark. Then I do another rough manicure, taking most the suger leaves off. I put the bud in paper bags, but only enough to fill the bottom, so their are a lot of bags. I shove them in a cubby, open, for three days, shaking them every now and then. I transfer all the bags to jars, and crack the lids once a day for 6 hours or so. Any further manicuring can be done while transfering the bags to jars, but the sugar leaves that are left, even the big ones, should be curled up by now, protecting all the hairs. That's how I do it so far...

Duke420 is offline Registered+
    my big plants, I hang for 1-2 weeks till they snap. the smaller ones or some tops, I hang upside down in paper lunch bags with fishing like and tie them off to a wall.

Then I break them up and place in Glass jars (80%) full, and open (burp)them a couple times a day. the whole process takes about a month.

Stay away from plastic, the crystals like to stick to them.

2 cents