Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a Cheap and Easy way to make CO2??

dougefresh is offline Registered+

Question Whats a Cheap and Easy way to make CO2??

what up everyone..hope evryones good today.. I have another queston ofcourse..what is a cheap and easy way to make my own co2 and have it spraying/dispersing over 8 plants?anyone know??

dusto2k3 is offline Registered+
    yeast and sugar water.
    "I might be an idiot, but I'm not stupid." - Self

"man who goes to bed with ichy bum wakes up with smelly finger" - xxxhazexxx

Dr.Hashman is offline Registered+
    Grow Marijuana FAQ, Cannabis cultivation - marijuana growing tips & photos
    That is a easy way to make CO2. Basically anything with yeast and sugar (toast helps).

I have a 2 liter soda bottle that I fill up to where it curves inwards with warm water, dissolve a cup of sugar in it, wait for it to cool down to room temp, then put some crumpled up burnt toast (half a slice or so) and then I put 1/2 tablespoon of yeast in there. Then I got the cap and made a small hole with a knife in the top so I could barely get some 1/4" aquarium tubing in, put some sealent on it. Measure out how much tubing you want, cut it, then take the tube outside, light then end you just cut on fire for a few seconds then use some pliers to clamp down the molten plastic to create a end cap. Then make holes the size of the end of a pen where the tube goes over each plant and screw it all together and you are done!
    In Soviet Russia, Marijuana grows YOU!

crazyhorse is offline Registered
    Nice work Hash ! you described the easy co2 tank, it works well for me. Its good to shake the shit out of the bottle everytime you go past it. Keeps the yeast active and give the plant even boost of co2

rev
    rev is offline Registered+

Monitor?

Do you f*%! around w/ a monitor if yer to go at on the fast, cheap simple route? Or does a 2 liter bottle have an ideal sq footage it'll supply co2 for?

rev
    rev is offline Registered+
    Btw I make bread and beer, and am thinking of piping co2 into my grw room from that. Am I going to end up with bread bud? mmm pot beer...

Seriously tho, sterility issues perhsps?

MrGreenFingaz is offline Registered+
    just sit in your grow room all day taking deep breaths.

dougefresh is offline Registered+
    with the sugar, yeast method i used 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 teasepoon of yeast in a 2 liter bottle is that okay? also instead of drilling a whole in the cap and puting my tubing their, i drilledto holes right underneath the cap and put two different tubes threw it will the co2 come out okay wiht two tubes? i did it this way because i plan on taping each tube to the brim of each pot (2 pots i guess) so the co2 flows right underneath it and up

Tomthehippie is offline Registered+

remember that the yeast will die if they are cold so the temps must be lukewarm where the yeast bottle is situated. so behind the fan next to a light or something does the trick. also ive heard that if you dont have HPS or MH lights co2 isnt very useful since the plant cant absorb it without having alot of light absorbtion.

Chronic Chrissy is offline Registered+
    I do yeast and sug method in ketchup bottles and hang them from rope from the ceiling of the room. The rope lets me cap them and shake them when ever I find the time.
    Charlie Charlie Over And Out

My New Grow Log Noobs take a look at everything that can go wrong here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-problems.html

My Avatar is for my Puppies. In loving memory of Angel and MJ whose lives were cut far too short just for doing their job far too well. They are deeply loved, mourned and missed. I will love you guys always and forever.

The guy at the hydro store wanted me to buy some CO2 tablets but I thought they were too expensive, I'll try out some when I get some money.

greenman:D is offline Registered+
    easyest way is to fill a bowl with baking soda , and have a slow dripper of vinigar into the bowl

If CO2 is heavier than air, how is it in our atmosphere? Just wondering. The Baking soda bowl and vinager made me wonder that.

Subzone is offline Registered
    co2 cans for bb guns work great pop one or two open a day clean and easy

Bushy old grower used this idea and I am sure you have seen his nugs . I personal bought a tank .

Goodluck

greenman:D is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Hashman View Post
    If CO2 is heavier than air, how is it in our atmosphere? Just wondering. The Baking soda bowl and vinager made me wonder that.
    Air is made up of oxygen and co2 , we breath in oxygen and breath out co2, plants and trees breath in co2 and breath out oxygen its a cycle. plants let 80% of there oxygen out though the roots of a night.I dont water during dark hours at all.

Humboldt215 is offline Registered+
    in college, many many yrs ago, I had a 1kw and 400kw both with china hat domes, I made my co2 by taking yeast/sugar/water in 1 gallon triple rinsed plastic milk jugs, went to the pet store got some fish pump line and T's. simply made a small hole in the plastic top of the milk jug and sealed it with hot glue or something similar, ran the line to the TOP of the china hat (reflector) pointing down so the co2 would be forced thru the line, up and down over the hood to fall over the plants.

simple maintenance was every other day (i believe) dumped out 1/2 the water and added fresh luke warm with more sugar.

not sure how effective it was.. but it did make co2!
    got a beer, got a joint?

I often engage in role playing games or activities in which certain scenarios are played out.
    Any discussion of activities which could be considered illegal by either Federal or State laws
    are purely fictional and should be regarded as such by all website participants and observers

I think I will just get my pellet gun and shoot my plants up everyday with air lol. Pah pah pah! PaH pAh pAH! Imagine what my neighbors would think lol.

JackdaWack is offline Registered+
    u know what thats actually a pretty good question i never reeally thought about, if our green house gas is co2 then h0ow the hell does it get up there? that is that co2 is pretty heavy compared to other gases, good observation on thinking... just to let every one know that u should have your c02 preduced at canopy level so it falls down, fans and exhaust may make this close to impossible tho, at least for me the c02 owould be in and out faster then u could say....
    I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that your not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin

We don't have rights, it's just that simple.

The best way to accomplish anything is through education.

Smoke WEEED

I wish I had some nice cash-money to spend on a tank. I would just put my fans on a timer then 3 times a day the fans would shut off for an hour and the CO2 would then be released for 15 mins and soak in for 45 mins. Now all I have is a timer to put the fans on and a DIY (do-it-yourself) CO2 setup.

Lozt is offline Registered+
    This is wahat U need...
    1 culligan jug (empty half the water)
    I cork larger enough to fill the hole on top
    4 ft of 3/8 hose ( you can use fuel injestion line for instance go to a part source tell em u need 3/8 heater hose)
    also a copper stoper also from part source and a gear clamp
    1 jar of DRY active yeast
    5kg bag of sugar
    I heat bad like the one u use for seedlings

step 1. remove half the water from the culligan jug
    step 2. add 1.5 jg of sugar and 10 table spoons of dry active yeast In to the culligan jug and shake to mix.
    step 3. get a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill a hole though the center of the cork
    step 4. drill tiney holes all arround and up and down the 3/8 hose
    step 5. fit the 3/hose in the 1/2 inch hole you drilled in the cork or rubber stopper
    step 6. Seal with silicone
    step 7. use the gear clamp and the brass stopperto plug the other end of the hose so now the only place cot can escape from is from the tiny holes u have drilled.
    step 8. Place ther heating pad under the culligan jug with the yeast sugar mix in it. The heat will speed the natural fermentation process and the bi product of the fermintation process is co2

Change solution every 10 - 14 days

Scarlet Sky is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by JackdaWack View Post
    u know what thats actually a pretty good question i never reeally thought about, if our green house gas is co2 then h0ow the hell does it get up there?
    a lot of people (including new channels) confuse co2 with co.
    carbon dioxide=what you breath out, what plants like.
    carbon monoxide= poison, green house gas, car exhaust, global warming
    Quote Originally Posted by OniEhtRedrum781 View Post
    Hahaha, that's classic, You're like the Lizard Pimp!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymirize View Post
    Sex is fantastic. I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenFog View Post
    We should only blow smoke...into the air...not up eachothers' butts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nochowderforyou View Post
    Like that saying goes, "arguing over the interent is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win, you are still a retard"

Tokudai is offline Registered+
    Copied from Flora Hydroponics

FERMENTATION METHOD OF CO2 ENRICHMENT:

Sugar is converted into ethyl alcohol and CO2 when it ferments due to the action of yeast. In this method, the following ingredients and equipment are needed:

1. Suitably sized container, plastic or glass

2. Sugar, common or invert

3. Yeast, brewers or bourgelais wine yeast

4. Yeast nutrient

5. Sealant, cellophane, tape or lid

6. 1/4 plastic tubing

7. 1/4 shutoff valve

8. Balloon

9. Starter jar or bottle

A pound of sugar will ferment into approximately half a pound of ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) and half a pound of CO2. One pound of CO2 makes 8.7 cubic feet of CO2 gas at normal atmospheric conditions. In our standard 8 X 8' X 8' grow room, you will need to generate 512 cu. ft. X .0013 (1300 PPM CO2) = 0.66 cubic feet of CO2 every four hours. It takes time for the yeast to ferment sugar, so the size of container you should use in determined by dividing the cubic feet of growing area (512 Cu. ft.) by 32 = 16 gallons.

A convenient container to use here would be a plastic kitchen garbage can. These are inexpensive and easily obtainable.

To determine how much sugar we need for six weeks of operation or until fermentation ceases, the following calculations are necessary: From the above paragraph, we need 0.66 cu. ft. of CO2 every four hours. If one pound of CO2 makes 8.7 cu. ft. of CO2, we will need 0.08 lbs. of sugar, but because every one pound of sugar only makes 1/2 lb. of CO2, we must double the amount of sugar needed, i.e. 0.08 X 2 = 0.16 lbs. of sugar every four hours. Since there are six four-hour periods in a 24 hour day, the amount of sugar we need is 0.16 x 6 or 0.96 lbs. of sugar per day.

If we round this off to one pound of sugar per day, we will need 42 lbs. of sugar in six weeks. We must consider that only 80 to 90% of the sugar will be completely converted in this length of time, therefore, we should actually use about 48 lbs. of sugar in six weeks.

The sugar solution to start with is 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. per gallon. You can use hot water to start with, as sugar dissolves faster in it than in cold water. You must let it cool to 80-90 degrees F before adding yeast to it or the yeast will be killed. Start with the fermenting container only half-full as you will be adding an extra gallon per week for 6 weeks. Begin with eight gallons per week and 24 lbs. of sugar.

To start the solution fermenting, you will want to make a "starter batch" of sugar water, yeast and yeast nutrient. To do this, use a coke or beer bottle (approx. one pint), dissolve 1/4 lb. of sugar in 10 oz. of warm water (approx. 3/4 full), add a pinch of yeast and two pinches of yeast nutrient to this sugar mixture. Place a balloon on the bottle and set in warm location, 80 to 90 degrees F, for one to two days or until the balloon expands and small bubbles are visible in the solution.

After the starter solution has begun fermenting vigorously, it is added to the main fermentation tank at the same temperature already mentioned. After a day or so, to see that the system is working properly and that CO2 is being generated, close the valve to the supply tube and, if the unit is sealed properly, the balloon should expand in a short period of time. To regulate the amount of CO2 being delivered to the plants, open the valve until the balloon is only half the size of full expansion.

The CO2 supply tube with in-line valve should have a 2" loop in it half full of water to serve as an air-lock. This loop can be held in place with tape on the side of the fermentation tank. The open end of this tube can either be positioned in front of a circulating fan or run through "T" fittings to make additional tubes, the ends of which can be positioned above your plants. Remember, CO2 is heavier than air and it will flow downwards.

Once per week, undo a corner of the Saran Wrap and add an extra gallon of sugar solution and yeast nutrient, then reseal the top with tape. Use three lbs. of sugar and one teaspoon of nutrient per gallon.

After the last gallon is added, after six weeks of operation, let fermentation continue until the balloon goes down and no more bubbles are visible in the "U" tube. When this point has been reached, taste the solution. If is it sweet, fermentation is not complete and a new starter batch should be made and added to the tank. More yeast nutrient should also be used. If the solution is dry (not sweet) like wine, fermentation has stopped and the alcohol content has killed the yeast. At this point, it's time to clean your tank and start a new batch.

The fermentation process is quite good for generating CO2 and relatively inexpensive. Regular or invert (corn) sugar is inexpensive and available. You may have to purchase invert sugar at a wine supply store. This method of generating CO2 will cost approximately 50 to 60 cents per day.

To save money on extra yeast, you can either take out approximately a gallon of fermenting liquid and save for the next batch, or start a second system identical to the first and alternate themóclean and replenish one, then three weeks later, clean and replenish the second.

Seems like it would be rather easy to scale down using this technique, especially since the room dimensions and rate of conversion are given.
    We CAN stamp out Glaucoma in our lifetime

I think we have every form of yeast type CO2 making methods on here. Does anyone notice a big difference when they add their ghetto CO2 makers to the room?

Tomthehippie is offline Registered+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast