Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPS VS. MH

genuinestoner is offline Registered+

Exclamation HPS VS. MH

Hello, thought i would start a new thread with a question? Is (MH) absolutely necessary for flowering? I read that HPS will do the same as (MH)
    And if i purchased a MH bulb at the depot and put it in the hps ballast will it work? I don't want to buy it if it doesn't work, or will i have to buy the ballast "just" for MH.
    Thanks for any advice from anyone.

Sensi Super Skunk is offline Registered+
    The only time to use an MH lamp is during the vegetative stage. An HPS is better suited for the flowering stage because it contains the right kelvin temperature for when a cannabis plant is flowering, making the all important THC. If you were to to buy an MH/HPS conversion lamp, then you could use both a regular MH or HPS bulb. But if not, putting a regular MH into an HPS lamp wouldn't work, unless it was an MH-conversion bulb made to work in an HPS lamp.
    Let a person walk alone with few wishes, committing no wrong, like an elephant in the forest

SPLIFFBUILDER is offline Registered+
    hi genuinestoner,if your gonna only use one lamp use the hps,you can veg with no prob's at all,happy growing..spliffbuilder.
    This bloke said to me,you have'nt got a clue,bout the damage that smokin green can do to you,I tried to see thing's from his point of view,but i could'nt fit my head up his arsehole too!!

MedicalMarijuana is offline Registered
    Using an Mh for veg stage would help your moms produce more leaf mass to cut more clones. I believe that hps is the best

dude0 is offline Registered+
    ---. ignore this post.. sorry i dont know shit, lol

MajorBuds is offline Registered
    HPS=Fluffy flowers and buds that dry too quickly and crumble to dust when dried.

Metal Halide=COMPACT flowering and buds,better tasting product. More weight yield.

TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE.

Torog is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorBuds
    HPS=Fluffy flowers and buds that dry too quickly and crumble to dust when dried.

Metal Halide=COMPACT flowering and buds,better tasting product. More weight yield.

TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE.
    Howdy MajorBuds,

I'm gonna do just that,I have a 1kwatt mh,that I will be using from start to finish..I've been worried that I need to add some red spectrum during flowering..I hope that what you say-is true !

Have a good one !

llamaman666 is offline Registered+

TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE.
    backwards? yea
    MH is for veging, and makes you get cotton candy buds the size of popcorn. HPS=BIG DENSE buds
    oh, and with some strains it don't matter, youll always get fairly fluffy shit, like with pure sativas
    If I die before I wake, Heaven or Hell, I'll still bake.

I hate political lies

If Alaska was devided in to two, Texas would be the third largest state

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?eoj

kuri is offline Registered+

TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE.
    hi there, i've never heard of that before. not that i don't believe you. can you tell me where you got this info from...maybe a website that says this> i just want to get second and third opinions. opinions are good.

KanMan is offline Registered+
    Either MH or HPS can be used from start to finish.
    MH produces less yield (flowering cycle) and more thrichomes when compared to a HPS.
    HPS produces more yield (flowering cycle) and less thrichomes when compared to a MH.

Good Kannabis Growing!

llamaman666 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by KanMan
    Either MH or HPS can be used from start to finish.
    MH produces less yield (flowering cycle) and more thrichomes when compared to a HPS.
    HPS produces more yield (flowering cycle) and less thrichomes when compared to a MH.

Good Kannabis Growing!
    show me a link! I disagree with this, I find no difference in potency whatsoever with the two, just yield
    If I die before I wake, Heaven or Hell, I'll still bake.

I hate political lies

If Alaska was devided in to two, Texas would be the third largest state

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?eoj

Lightbulb

The Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green:

All strains vary in THC levels and quanities or pecentages. The difference between THC levels and THC quanities is that THC levels are genetically determined: they cannot be influenced by the grower. THC quanities, on the other hand, are related to bud mass and how much resin can be collected from that bud mass. By way of example: some bud may only contain 20 percent THC, with a THC level of 5. The same plant grown under better conditions could produce 70 percent THC, with a THC level of 5. The level is genetic. The quanities 20 percent and 70 percent are under the grower's control.
    I know for a fact that metal halides are designed mainly to encourage leaf and stem growth. High pressured sodiums are designed to promote flowering. With that being said, high pressured sodiums will encourage your plant to produce more resin (trichomes), and peak your plant's potency to it's maximum. But, if KanMan was correct, then my theory for his statement would be that the mh produces a higher THC quanity, but the hps helps the plant achieve it's maximum THC level. Fact is, that in reality, an hps improves yeildage, helps cannabis produce more resin (trichomes), and helps the plant to achieve it's maximum THC level, better than an mh.
    Last edited by Sensi Super Skunk; Mar-14-2005 at 18:05.
    Let a person walk alone with few wishes, committing no wrong, like an elephant in the forest

You are welcome to go along with the standard thought that HPS is the way to go.
    SanClem stated the case for halides over and over and over to you all; ie; that halide has more USEABLE light for the plants. I have confirmed SanClems assertions by using both types side by side. "Flowers" are NOT what you are trying to grow, BUDS are! Flowers are NOT buds! Buds are VEGATIVE growth.
    THC amount is product of genetics, not the type of light used.

BagWeedBob is offline Registered
    use both. it doesnt hurt a thing.

Lightbulb

You are welcome to go along with the standard thought that HPS is the way to go.
    SanClem stated the case for halides over and over and over to you all; ie; that halide has more USEABLE light for the plants. I have confirmed SanClems assertions by using both types side by side. "Flowers" are NOT what you are trying to grow, BUDS are! Flowers are NOT buds! Buds are VEGATIVE growth.
    I think you meant THC level is a factor of genetics. THC level and percentage are two different things.

Question

Howdy MajorBuds,

I would like to believe sanclem,because all I have at this time,is a 1kwatt mh. It seems that I should add some hps during flowering..the question I have-is how many watts of hps,would make a difference..when run side by side with a 1kwatt mh ?

Have a good one...

Try 1000W Halide with 400 sodium. You'll see the bud difference in yield, taste,buzz favoring the plants nearest the halide.
    SanClem is a guru. His main point is that halides have more USABLE light for plants and that they grow more weight and much tighter buds. He has MUCH data from his own tests to prove it. Ever see his plants grown JUST with flourescents???(BLUE spectrum).
    Halide is the way to go, much more pleasant to work under also. ALWAYS use extream caution with halides..they are VERY delicate. Use gloves when handling halides,do not put undue pressure on them. Sodiums you can almost throw against wall and it won't break.

Question Too much light ?

Try 1000W Halide with 400 sodium. You'll see the bud difference in yield, taste,buzz favoring the plants nearest the halide.
    SanClem is a guru. His main point is that halides have more USABLE light for plants and that they grow more weight and much tighter buds. He has MUCH data from his own tests to prove it. Ever see his plants grown JUST with flourescents???(BLUE spectrum).
    Halide is the way to go, much more pleasant to work under also. ALWAYS use extream caution with halides..they are VERY delicate. Use gloves when handling halides,do not put undue pressure on them. Sodiums you can almost throw against wall and it won't break.
    Howdy MajorBuds,

Yup..I know sanclem from Marihemp, and I would like to see some of his grow pics..do ya reckon a search at Marihemp,will yield some ?

I have approxiamately 16 - 18 square feet,that I will be using to grow 4 plants in ,and if I divide 1000 watts by the square footage,that means that I'll have 62.5 watts per square foot,right ? If I add another 400 watts to that,it would jump up to 87.5 wpsf,isn't that too much light ? I'm worried that the 62.5,is too much..?

Yup..I wear soft,clean latex gloves,when handling the mh bulb..I didn't know that they were more fragile than hps..learn something new-every day !

Have a good one...

genuinestoner is offline Registered+
    Hi i now have the mh and my next grow i will use. What i got was MH with a built-in ballast. I didn't realize ballast's were so heavy, plus i have to hang and adust the height. Shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by genuinestoner
    Hi i now have the mh and my next grow i will use. What i got was MH with a built-in ballast. I didn't realize ballast's were so heavy, plus i have to hang and adust the height. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Howdy genuinestoner,

10-4 on the heavy ballasts..the one I have for my 1kwatt mh,weighs 40 pounds ! It does sit on the floor..thank goodness !

Have a good one...

Zandor is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Torog
    Howdy MajorBuds,
    I have approxiamately 16 - 18 square feet,that I will be using to grow 4 plants in ,and if I divide 1000 watts by the square footage,that means that I'll have 62.5 watts per square foot,right ? If I add another 400 watts to that,it would jump up to 87.5 wpsf,isn't that too much light ? I'm worried that the 62.5,is too much..?

As long as you can deal with the heat at the top of your plants then more is better. With more light you can use Co2 and the plant will absorbe it even better. Just monitor the heat at the top of your plants with a remote temprature probe so you get a reading with the door closed.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zandor
    As long as you can deal with the heat at the top of your plants then more is better. With more light you can use Co2 and the plant will absorbe it even better. Just monitor the heat at the top of your plants with a remote temprature probe so you get a reading with the door closed.

Peace
    Howdy Zandor,

Thanx for the advice..I'll do just that,I have a digital thermometer with a remote probe,it also gives humidity readings as well. I'm wondering if a 5 gal bucket with yeast,will yield enough co2 to make a difference ? Thanx

Have a good one....

Some say it does and any extra co2 is better then none. I used dry Ice for about a year before I could afford tanks, regulators and controllers to monitor the PPM level.

Peace

smokejaguar is offline Registered+
    Cool range vs warm range; blue vs red ; MH vs HPS;,, all this is fine tuning.As far as plants are concerned its all about ,The amount of lumens, and for how many hours.You can use any of these lights exclusively and produce excellent bud.Everything else is personal oppinion, not necessarilly substantiated by fact.-usdi Agaluga

Quote Originally Posted by smokejaguar
    Cool range vs warm range; blue vs red ; MH vs HPS;,, all this is fine tuning.As far as plants are concerned its all about ,The amount of lumens, and for how many hours.You can use any of these lights exclusively and produce excellent bud.Everything else is personal oppinion, not necessarilly substantiated by fact.-usdi Agaluga
    Dude are trying to say the color of the light does not matter and there is no scientific evidence to prove it does? Dude put down the crack pipe man it's doing bad stuff to you man.

That debate was settled over 20 years ago and light spectrum does have a profound effect on plant production.

If that is not what you are saying I apologies; but that is what it sounds like.
    Peace
    Zandor

If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast