Thread: 20 GAL POT???

fsunoles is offline Registered+

20 GAL POT???

Can you grow a plant in a 20 gallon pot? I just purchased 5 big ol pots that I will (you know!). Just wanted to know if it was possibile.I have 2x1000 watt lamps as well.So light shouldn't be an issue with the pot size. Thanks for any suggestions

khronik is offline Registered+
    I grow in 18-gallon rubbermaid storage containers, and I'm having great results. Multiple plants in one pot is definitely possible too. The only problem is that initially your light has to be spread out to cover so many plants. You can always transplant from smaller containers though.

I would prefer 5-gallon pots (in fact, I use 3-gallon pots, space limited) ... plenty big enough to grow some real 'trees', but still maneuverable, for ease in growing ... I may start 2-3 seedlings in a single pot, but I thin out all but the best one, not usually a good idea to let them root together ...

psteve is offline Registered+
    15's work for me. It depends how big you want to grow them, and how tall your ceiling is.

I hope it is a huge difference in yield because if I can achieve the same yield in 3 to 5 gallon pot I would rather do that I'm just trying to cut the number of plants down and not loose my yield. I hope this works. Thanks for help peace

Big pots are not for everyone, especially indoors. Most people max out at about 7 gallons with standard HID hoods and 8 ft. ceilings.
    Outdoors, the sky is literally the limit. I've seen 55 gallon drums used.
    Last edited by psteve; Aug-14-2007 at 00:17.

jamstigator is offline Registered+
    I've had no probs getting 5' bushes with 4-gallon pots. I don't want to go any bigger than that, personally. I occasionally substitute a 3-gallon or 5-gallon pot, and don't see much difference. I'm trying a SOG experiment currently, using 1/2-gallon pots, and sheesh, plants are still getting pretty large, about 3.5' tall. They have to be watered at least every day in those little pots, which kinda sucks. Thinking I'll go back to ScroG, as it's just easier to deal with.

Never tried a 20-gallon pot, but indoors I wouldn't see the point, as I don't need any 10' monsters. Don't even have 10' ceilings. Heh.
    "Before you consider one an enemy, first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, if he *is* an enemy, you're a mile ahead, and you have his shoes."

igot4cheep is offline Registered+
    20 gallon pot. Well that is 15 gallons better than me. You must have a rely big place.

I have seen photos of a couple big breeder's rooms, where they had their 'pet plants' in big 15-20 gallon pots, but they were experimental 'mother' plants, the breeder had kept going for 10 years, or more ... pretty hard for an indoor 4-5 month old plant to get rootbound in a 3-5 gallon pot ...

Storm Crow is offline Registered+
    I grow in 19 gallon rubbermaid tubs (Walmart - $4). I put one or two plants in each one. Works fine.- Granny
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Crow View Post
    I grow in 19 gallon rubbermaid tubs (Walmart - $4). I put one or two plants in each one. Works fine.- Granny
    Indoors or out?

That is crazy! what kind of yields were these people getting from these huge pots? I'm happy with a smooth 1.5oz honestly

kdspecial is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by jamstigator View Post
    . I'm trying a SOG experiment currently, using 1/2-gallon pots, and sheesh, plants are still getting pretty large, about 3.5' tall. They have to be watered at least every day in those little pots, which kinda sucks. Thinking I'll go back to ScroG, as it's just easier to deal with
    Any Logs of this Jam? I would love t see it... as I grow in really small pots as well..
    kd
    Puff, Puff Pass......... with music from www.SoMuchSoul.com

jamstigator is offline Registered+
    No logs, but here's a pic of my 24-plant (AK-48) SOG experiment. I have six more in another cabinet, which are 20 days further along, and somewhat taller. Clearly, it's working okay, just a pain because the plants suck those little pots dry so quickly. I see why they call it 'sea of green', looks like a sea of green is slowly filling up my cabinet. These 24 are on day 22 of flower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 GAL POT???-sog_001.jpg  
    Last edited by jamstigator; Aug-15-2007 at 06:31.
    "Before you consider one an enemy, first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, if he *is* an enemy, you're a mile ahead, and you have his shoes."

kdspecial is offline Registered+
    That is very similar to my little setup. Only I have 6 cuz I don't have much room. Its funny to see how well they grow even in small small pots eh?

I needed to make it easy to get the plants in and out of my Box, TO make the Gurl happy about the dirt and dust that kept flying all over the place... So I modifyed 6 pots to fit into a cloning tray which fits just about right in my Box. Im trying this grow in Coco so far its looking pretty decent...

I should definitly look into using square pots next time around. I think I could fit 8 with Squares. BUt would have to be carful becasue water run off would leak right out of the tray. b/c its so full

nice looking plant duder..

kd
    Puff, Puff Pass......... with music from www.SoMuchSoul.com

Indoors. The closet and the tubs are both 2 feet wide. Three of the tubs fit in there nicely. I can do my 6 "legal" mature plants in there. A small grow cabinet holds clones, seedlings and a reveging plant. (My hubby also is Cali legal", so we can have 6 mature plants and up to 12 immature plants.)- Granny

ProGroWannabe is offline Registered+
    The downsides to such big pots are:
    1. You have to be able to buy and then throw all that soil away.
    2. Moving the "pots" around is a b*tch.
    3. I didn't see a huge increase in yield.

So, for me and my 9gal waste cans as pots...not again....I'm going back to smaller pots....prolly 2 gallon if that.
    It takes brains and balls to succeed in life. Some have way too much of one and not enough of the other!

Sorry to hear that how much of increase in yield did u get?

khronik is offline Registered+
    The one nice thing about using huge pots is that it can mitigate stress on the plant, especially heat stress. If your grow area is already stress-free, and you water your plants enough, you probably won't notice the benefits as much.

Quote Originally Posted by khronik View Post
    The one nice thing about using huge pots is that it can mitigate stress on the plant, especially heat stress. If your grow area is already stress-free, and you water your plants enough, you probably won't notice the benefits as much.
    Exactly.
    Bigger yield is not the only reason to use bigger pots.
    More soil allows more chelation of minerals, which creates a natural buffer for the fertilizers, so you are less likely to get nutrient burn. And you get more room for root growth, which means more steady and even nutrient absorbtion.
    A plant in a 15 gallon pot will uptake the same amount of nutrients as one in a 7 gallon pot, but it takes it more evenly and naturally in the #15. The #15 should have less fluctuation in nutrient levels, meaning less stress on the plant.
    Plus the extra room for root growth adds stability.

Throw that soil away???? Heck no! I have use and reuse the soil! The worms take care of it and I just add a little blood meal, manure, epsom, molasses, and kelp to it for the most part. I also hit it up with beneficial fungi. The plants grow fine! My grow is inside, as I said, and the carpet makes it easy to move the tubs. (Clean up is a drag, but I use a shower curtain as a drop cloth.) I sit down and use my legs to push the tubs around. (I'm 60, so don't tell me you kids can't manage moving tubs!). I may look funny, but it works! Well, there is more than one way to grow your pot. The main thing is that we grow our own! - Granny

Deepsuthern is offline Registered+
    i've used 2gal. buckets with miracle grow potting soil and it seemed to work just fine..however psteve is right.. the bigger the pot size the less stress on the plant and more area for root growth... the best way for growth is too simulate the outdoors of a preferred area indoors inside a small confined area