Cannabis.com

Thread: When to FIM? Flower?

BetterThanBeer is offline Registered+

When to FIM? Flower?

Hello all. My plants are almost 7 weeks into the vegetative phase and are roughly a foot or so tall. I was wondering if it is too late to try to FIM the plant and secondly how much longer should I leave them in veg before beginning flowering? Ignore the droopy leaves, the cabinet was hot as one fan burnt out, it has been replaced and they are happy again. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When to FIM? Flower?-plant1.jpg   When to FIM? Flower?-plant1top.jpg  

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Megatron is offline Registered+
    FIM them now, wait about 2 weeks and flower. You should really wait about 4 weeks after FIMing to flower, but it wont hurt that bad to do it in 2. After 12 inches a plant, grown from seed, is mature enough to flower. They will get about 36 inches tall when done depending on the strain if you flower around 12 inches tall. If you FIM you will more than likely get a larger harvest. Are you using flos? or HIDs? laterz..
    "Knowledge is Power"

"I am the very disease you pretend to be"

Also when you flower hit them one more time with a good amount of grow nutes, then start in on the flowering nutes after that. i.e. the day you switch to 12/12 hit feed them a good dose of grow formula, and from that point on use the flowering formula as they will start needing less Nitrogen and more Phosphorus. laterz, and hope this helps.
    "Knowledge is Power"

Yes, it helps, thank you. I will FIM, or give my best shot at it tonight. I can give them 4 weeks if needed after doing so, but if it wont make much difference then I will just flower in 2. I am using 5 flouros and 4 cfls. Thank you for the tip on nutes. I am using fox farm grow big and also have their flowering nutes. I will switch after a good watering the day of 12/12 like you stated. Is there any reason I should avoid FIMing all together and either just leave it alone or just plain top it? My other plant is slightly smaller, but bushier. I attached my set up so you can see what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When to FIM? Flower?-mysetup.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanBeer View Post
    Yes, it helps, thank you. I will FIM, or give my best shot at it tonight. I can give them 4 weeks if needed after doing so, but if it wont make much difference then I will just flower in 2. I am using 5 flouros and 4 cfls. Thank you for the tip on nutes. I am using fox farm grow big and also have their flowering nutes. I will switch after a good watering the day of 12/12 like you stated. Is there any reason I should avoid FIMing all together and either just leave it alone or just plain top it? My other plant is slightly smaller, but bushier. I attached my set up so you can see what I mean.
    I would FIM, wait the 4 weeks, then flower. You wont regret it! I have included a 5 second drawing on MS paint that I made to show you where to cut in order to FIM correctly. I hope its not too crappy to make sense. laterz..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Knowledge is Power"

Well dammit its hard to read.... The first line says FIM'ing, and the second line says Normal topping. Its really easy to get it right. You just cut the main growth inhibitor in half, rather than cutting it all the way off. laterz..
    "Knowledge is Power"

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I will give it a shot. Will it make a noticeable difference in yield or do you think I would be better off leaving it be and just beginning flowering now as it will slow vertical growth? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right, this is my first attempt.

2broke2smoke is offline Registered+
    I would be careful of a plant being 1 foot tall being ready for flower. The indicator of sexual maturity of the MJ plant is when the branches stagger, when the plant is not sexually mature the branches are directly opposite one another. From what I can see from your picture your plant is not ready for flower. The branches are not staggering.

2b2s

So that should leave me plenty of time to FIM the plant then huh. Maybe I should just go ahead and do that since it is not ready anyway. Thoughts?

2broke2smoke is offline Registered+
    I have always fimmed at the 7th internode, but that has always been driven by my height space concerns.

2b2s

Chronisseur is offline Registered+
    Dont forget the V-shaped cut!

Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanBeer View Post
    Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I will give it a shot. Will it make a noticeable difference in yield or do you think I would be better off leaving it be and just beginning flowering now as it will slow vertical growth? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do it right, this is my first attempt.
    Yes it will make a difference in yield, and it is worth it. I would do it now, now is actually the perfect time for FIM'ing. Your plant will be at the perfect maturity level to flower, after it has healed from the FIM'ing. Let me know how it goes.laterz..
    "Knowledge is Power"

Thanks all. I will use Megatron's drawing and cut in a "V" shape. I will keep you posted on progress. I appreciate all your help Megatron.

NP, laterz man...
    "Knowledge is Power"