Cannabis.com

Thread: What temp turns a plant purple?

redsunknight is offline Registered+

What temp turns a plant purple?

I've been reading around the forums and I noticed something about when a plant gets too cold it goes into shock and starts to turn purple. And I was wondering at what low temperatures do plants start to do that?

I really don't care about what color my weed is, as long as it gets me stoned I'm happy. But when people see purple weed they instantly think that its some super dank shiet, hopefully my weed will be dank regardless but it would also be cool to have a few purple plants

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

my outdoor Willie Nelson has turned purple on one side in the last few days, my friend's Willie Nelson is largely purple, but he lives a thousand feet higher than I do, cooler there by a few degrees ... it has only gotten down to about 48 at night here ... when purpling, the plants Ive seen changed color, but didn't display any signs of 'shock' ... regardless, it seems to have little effect on potency ... I haven't smoked any 'crippling' purple bud yet ...

Gundari is offline Registered+
    Im pretty sure you can cause a plant to turn purple with certain types of nitrogen in your ferts as well...but i could be wrong, i just rolled out of bed.
    You can always look back, but you can never change the past.

TheShastaCoMan is offline Registered
    you can get your plant to turn purple by putting ice in the pot ,especially if it is outdoors and your ha ving colder nights.

purple weed is no stronger than green weed.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheShastaCoMan View Post
    purple weed is no stronger than green weed.
    but, it makes for a fine hustle...there's a new sucker born every minute

cLo420 is offline Registered

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post
    but, it makes for a fine hustle...there's a new sucker born every minute

thats sooo true!!!

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    Now for a valid answer.....below 50 in the roots.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

oturbojoeo4o is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder View Post

headshake is offline Registered+
    keep in mind there must be the underlying genetics to allow for a plant to turn purple, no matter what the environment.

-shake
    "happy trees"

troubleshooting form

"some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

"But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

TheShastaCoMan is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by WashougalWonder View Post
    exactly, i was going to post that also.

if you have a plant thats prone to purpling in cooler temps and your growing in a climate that doesnt get that cold, you can take a bag of ice and pour some in the pot during lights out. also reduce the daytime temps in your grow room to below 55 degrees. in a couple of days youll notice your plants turning, and once they start they dont stop.

GetThisOrDie is offline Registered+
    Dont forget what shake said...

They have to be able to turn purple before you can get purple. (genetics)

Ive seen a thread on a different forum where someone stressed their plants to death trying to get purple buds but didnt have purple in the genetics.

DISCLAIMER: everything I post and say are lies. I am simply roleplaying. All photos were found on the internet and/or fake!! I do not grow or use anything illegal.

headshake is offline Registered+
    it's not all about cool temps guys. killa12345 on these boards has been working with some purple strains, wrecked homicide and death by purple, both of which turn purple with grow room temps into the 80s. i've seen this first hand.

-shake
    "happy trees"

troubleshooting form

"some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

"But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    Of course, and that goes without saying on my part, you said it, why repeat it. If I disagree, believe me I will pounce. The initial question what temp initiated the color. I either am very long winded or curt and short in my answers.
    Last edited by WashougalWonder; Sep-25-2010 at 07:25.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

jtingler is offline Registered+
    couldn't you just mix red and blue food coloring and add it to the water (works fro celery)

drudown11 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by headshake View Post
    keep in mind there must be the underlying genetics to allow for a plant to turn purple, no matter what the environment.

-shake

Whoever created this universe left marijuana as a gift to the earth, im just being grateful.

GROWxMOREx420 is offline Registered+
    Good genetics will give you purple weed at normal temps....