Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to CFL growing

HateHeaven is offline Registered+

Question New to CFL growing

I recently found out about compact fluorescent growing. I had a few questions if anyone could help me out

At the moment I have two 42watts with 2700 lumens each in homemade growbox, and was wondering when it would be necessary to get a few more. The box is around 3 feet tall and about 1 x 1.7 feet.

Also my plants are about 4 days old and I wanted some opinions on how they look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to CFL growing-12-12-07_2033.jpg  

Atkeni is offline Registered+
    Looking very sexy

i think the conventional wisdom is 2500 lumens sq/ft minimum for a full plant, so you'll probably be fine for the next couple of weeks with what you have- once they hit 6-8 inches tall, you'll want to switch for sure.

The strain is Super Silver Haze. How many more lights do you think I should add when they are bigger? Think I could get away with 4 more, so I would end up with six 42watt CFL's

Balkey is offline Registered+
    As far as I know, higher Kelvins is better for Veg, Lower Kelvins better for flower. Different light spectrum's. Either way, your plants will grow, just not to the potential especially using CFLs.

I could be wrong about the Kelvins, so don't quote me on it, but I believe I am right. But lumens isn't the only important thing when using CFL's. I have a CFL grow going right now and they seem to like my higher kelvin rating (6500k). Your cfls should be 2 or so inches away from your plant, literally.

Pictures of your grow box would help as well to determine how effective your 2 42watters are. As well as pictures, one would probably say your plants are far too deep in the cups too. Although your probably going to transplant sometime to larger pots, I hope, you should let the soil sit for a day or 2 to let it settle down, or water it thoroughly to allow the soil to settle down. Before you add the seeds or plants, once it is settled, add more soil so the top of the soil is much closer to the top of the rim of the container.
    Is it just me or does my lighter walk off constantly?

The soil seemed to go down a bit. It was fairly close to the rim, but I suppose it could have been loose when i planted the seed.

Here is a picture of the space I am working with at the moment. I am in the process of making a better looking box for the flowering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to CFL growing-12-13-07_0413.jpg  

Well, the one CFL is correct (on its side) but the other one hanging is wrong, well, not as efficient. CFL's emit most of its light from the side so the one hanging isn't as efficient then the one on its side. Looks like your playing checkers with these babies!!! haha.

BUT, either those are a higher kelvin rating bulbs or an all spectrum bulb, which is what you want for Veg, although I could be wrong, do some research on it, I have found conflicting results on which Kelvin rating is better but for the most part it looks like you have it right.

Whats your kelvin rating? I would guess in the 4-6500k range.

Alright, well I will try and figure out a way to make the one that is hanging sit like the other one. Hahaha, the checker board was to insure that the bottom was flat. The box I was working with wasn't very flat. But as for Kelvin rating, I looked online and couldn't find a thing. The boxes they came in only had watts and lumen output. I couldn't find a single thing on if it was 6500k or 2700k. I know the bulbs have 2700 lumens, that has nothing to do with 2700k, right?

If your hanging the one bulb by its cord because you are running out of room, you can go to lowes or HD, they sell stand alone light bulb sockets. And might allow you to mount that second bulb on its side like the other one. ALSO, as the plants grow, will you be able to adjust the lights heights?

I can raise both very easily. I was thinking within the next couple weeks to look for an adapter that allows you to plug in two CFL's into one socket.

yeah lumens and Kelvins are different things. Lumens from my knowledge is the amount of light output for the bulb and Kelvins is the light spectrum or color of light.

Yeah, Lowes or HD or any hardware store or lighting store would have Y adapters for sockets.

Well, CFL's are CFL's, light is light, no matter what Kelvin rating you have they will grow weed, but one doe sit better than the other. From my knowledge, until someone steers me another way, the lower Kelvin rating such as 2700K is for flowering. The higher kelvin rating such as 6500k is for Veg.

This is my setup, all homemade. 10 cfls. 27watters. I have since been using the Daylight bulbs 6500K for Veg and my week old babies seem to enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to CFL growing-picture-002.jpg   New to CFL growing-yeah-son-001.jpg  

Nice setup
    how many plants do you have on Veg right now?

5 plants. When I get the right pots, Should be able to fit 8 8inch pots in there. Most likely not enough light for 8 plants, but am growing lowryder2 and I might modify it to get some cfls on the side of the tub. Most likely upgrade the 27watter to 42watters like you, but will have heat problems then, which will require more modification. GRRRR

how many weeks are you in so far? If you can post some pictures of your plants, I'm curious.

AND you def. could add a couple more cfls to your room. More light usually doesn't hurt, just make sure they aren't too close to the plants. I keep mine 2 or so inches away from the top of the plants.

Yeah, I should be getting a few of those Y socket adapters and was thinking four 42watt CFL's.
    Do you think that would be good for 2-3 plants?

Aight, heres the 5 plants, pic1 is everything thats under my tub.

pic 2 is the 7day old baby. A little blurry but the best I can do with this shit camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to CFL growing-1week-001.jpg   New to CFL growing-1week-002.jpg  

Like I said more light is better, but maybe you could have maybe 4 42watters on top and a couple 27watter on the side or something.

I made the mistake just like you did for not putting enough soil in, but you live and you learn, I know what to do now.
    Last edited by Balkey; Dec-13-2007 at 06:14.

Yeah, I'm using a cellphone camera at the moment, so mine isn't much better. But it doesn't look like your plants are much farther ahead of mine. Do you have a grow journal so I can stay updated

Yeah, ill be getting a few more CFL's very very soon. I'll update on here when possible.

No, I haven't created a log yet. I wanted to get about a month in and be certain I will succeed in growing first before I showed the women off. Some of mine were planted at different times like the ones in the cup, they are only about 4 days old or so. The one in the middle is 7 days, and one on the right is 7 days (had a problem getting a thin layer of seed coat off its cotyledons. So, except for the middle one, the majority of mine had trouble with its seeds.....stunting its growth a tad bit.

I've made sure to keep the lights as close as possible to avoid stretching.
    Last edited by Balkey; Dec-13-2007 at 06:20.

Well I wish the best of luck to you and to see yours flower into beautiful buds

I'll keep ya updated if something happens, so you can possibly avoid the same problem if I have any. By the way, I'm using Fox Farms Ocean forest 60-70% and 30-40% perlite. Just a FYI, watering with 6.3-7.0ph water, and NO nuts. I want to learn how to grow without nuts first. Soil contains some bat guano and shit like that so I should be all right. Adios amigos.

I'm using the same soil, I got it from a friend.
    well I'm off to sleep. Take care, and I will see you around

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast