Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phototron

gotmudatv is offline Registered+

phototron

long time reader first time writer...blah. I just had my first day with first set up it is great see in pictures but my friend gave me this thing and now i dont know what to do? what is going to work better? my thing is stelth (as you can see)(or do you) but i can make this thing "blend in" with the room. but i have no idea how to use this like it was made so any help will do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phototron-dscn0049.jpg   phototron-dscn0050.jpg   phototron-dscn0051.jpg  

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+

What a crazy looking contraption! I'm certainly no Phototron expert, but judging from your pictures, I have concluded with 100% certainty that you're going to need a flux capacitor before that time-machine will ever fly. It's simply not feasible to travel time without one.

If you don't want to take my word for it, you can purchase a complete set of operating instructions here: Pyraponic Industries

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

just from what i have been reading the regular instructions will not work but it is a nice start.

but is it worth it?

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmudatv View Post
    just from what i have been reading the regular instructions will not work but it is a nice start.

but is it worth it?
    I honestly don't know anything about that thing, bro. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be much harder than plugging it in, and watching it go... but if it's not even doing that, then I'm at a loss. I personally wouldn't bother using one, unless I was actually wanting to grow flowers with it. I need much more area than that thing would allow... but for one plant, it seems like it might work. Give this thread some time, if anyone has ever used one, they'll chime in and tell ya about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

thank you for trying... see in my grow box i only have about 36 inches so the phototron is taller... but the more i look the more i dont know.
    like my box? i keep it from my roommate he would tell EVERYONE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phototron-dscn0051.jpg   phototron-dscn0054.jpg   phototron-dscn0053.jpg  

phototron-dscn0055.jpg   phototron-01092008-166.jpg  

trynagethigh is offline Registered+
    damn i could see myself converting that thing into a vertical scrog setup with a vertical 400 cooltube. im gettin a woody over here thinkin about it ...LOL.
    "PARANOIA is just reality on a finer scale"

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

"I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead"

"Why dont you try using your head for more than a fuckin hatrack!"

"Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!"

"Stupid" is Universal

dejayou30 is offline Registered+
    I have read in a lot of places that the phototron sucks for growing herb. Never experienced it personally though.
    The above post is fictional and should in no way be taken as truth.

If I were to grow cannabis, I would only do so to supply myself and my close friends. Doing this would take myself and my friends out of harms way by knowing the source of our cannabis, as well as take hundreds of thousands of dollars off the black market annually. It would also lower the demand of black market cannabis, and would ultimately help keep cannabis out of the hands of minors.

klup is offline Registered+
    i remember seeing that in HT and thinking it was a rip, but for free its nice. maybe make it a veg/ starter chamber and then move to your stealth for flower.

haha nice shoes btw

it is my friends dads he used it in the 80's. is there a u bulb that will kick it up a notch?

My thing is i keep douting my new box it is my first one to build and my first time to grow. and one more my lighting right now is 18/6 is that ok for my rubbermaid?

I will post new pic atleast once a week so keep looking.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Times have vhanged since the 80s. My friends are running a new version of the phototron but the old school one is pretty primitive. Definitely a collectors item and will be worth a fortune someday so dont go cutting holes in it.
    That closet is a fire hazard. Don't grow in there with all the clothes. You need to do some rearranging.
    A phototron WOULD, with some adapting, make a very nice base for a plexiglass reptile tank- the critters would stay warm and the PT itself looks like an aquarium base anyway, and noises and cords are expected.

dsm711 is offline Registered+
    I used a Phototron for about 10+ years while my kids were young and I had no room for a real grow. I only flowered the plants once in it. It took alot of time and the buds were small although asskicking. What I did with the other grows was to just smoke the growing shoots from female plants. The shoots were just as potent as what I could buy however nothing beats the taste of real bud. It's quite time consumming because you need to prune contantly and watering is a chore. You grow 6 plants which become little bushes, very thick little bushes. There's a whole methodoligy for pruning. I would prune enough every day for about 4-5 joints and let it dry overnight on top of the machine. I was almost never out of pot.
    I would suggest going to Pyraponic Industries -- Still the Original. Still the Best. and ordering the kit which contains the spagnum moss and nutrients. I would also order 3 extra bottle of nutrient which will last you through one grow, about 6-8 months. It will also include a full set of instructions.
    Now that I have a real grow room I would never go back but still use the phototron for germination and occasionally keep a mother in there. They do grow like crazy in there.
    One thing is to make sure you use the highest quality Indica that you can find for best results.
    Good luck
    DSM711

That closet is a fire hazard. Don't grow in there with all the clothes. You need to do some rearranging..
    so do i need to take it out or just move anything that is within a 3 foot area? I think i could move it next to my bed on the wall and my roommate wont think anything of it but the closet makes me feel safer. (roommate will not care that it is there but he would tell everyone just trying to be "cool" and with the first rule of growing "dont tell anyone" I just want to do it right )

so keep telling everything that i am doing wrong I am a student ready to learn

dsm711 is offline Registered+
    Oh FYI,
    It's not very stealthy, just small. It's still a "beacon" of light. Even with the reflective panels closed. You also should replace the bulbs. I replaced them every grow and there was a noticable difference
    (Old model with U-34w $5.99 at Home Depot.)
    I also had problems with Mold/mildew when I had it in enclosed closet. Needs good ventilation.

I'd dedicate the whole closet to your grow then. Go to walmart and get one of those $15 portable clothes rack thingys on casters for your garb. Then you can just roll the whole thing in front of your closet door. =extra stealth, extra noise dampening, extra light shading, extra easy for you to pick out your outfit for the next day during particularly uninteresting sexual encounters...

dragonrider is offline Registered+
    Hahahahahaha! This thing brings back strange and bizarre memories!

I have no advice to give you, but I worked for Pyraponics making phototrons about 20 years ago, and that was the worst job I ever had in my life! The owner, Mario something, was absolutely the worst boss ever. When something went wrong he would have everyonw into a conference room to be yelled at and threatened for a half hour. He liked to sit at the head of the table in his running shorts and threaten our jobs while two women, one anorexically skinny and one morbidly obese, stroked his legs and back! No joke! It was surreal!

They would sit on either side of him at the head of the table and lean in toward him and rub their hands on him while he told us what shitty workers we were! It was so strange that I almost didn't mind being insulted for a half hour just so I could watch the freakshow! I always imagined they went off afterwards for the worst, most-disturbing three-way ever!

Hahahahaha! Thanks for reminding me of that!
    Last edited by dragonrider; Feb-11-2008 at 13:59.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm711 View Post
    Oh FYI,
    It's not very stealthy, just small. It's still a "beacon" of light. Even with the reflective panels closed. You also should replace the bulbs. I replaced them every grow and there was a noticable difference
    (Old model with U-34w $5.99 at Home Depot.)
    I also had problems with Mold/mildew when I had it in enclosed closet. Needs good ventilation.
    Yes, it is a beacon when turned on. It's like a very bright lantern with a plant inside. I thought it looked pretty cool back then, sort of decorative like an aquarium. It's not very stealthy!

They were very expensive back in the 80's so my friend used the phototron as inspiriation to make a "garbotron" --- huge reflective galvanized iron garbage can with lights inside and a computer fan to ventilate it. It still wasn't very stealthy and not very practical, but he grew some decent weed in there.

... extra easy for you to pick out your outfit for the next day during particularly uninteresting sexual encounters...
    That time is more productively spent on the grocery list!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    He liked to sit at the head of the table in his running shorts and threaten our jobs while two women, one anorexically skinny and one morbidly obese, stroked his legs and back! No joke! It was surreal!
    They would sit on either side of him at the head of the table and lean in toward him and rub their hands on him while he told us what shitty workers we were! It was so strange that I almost didn't mind being insulted for a half hour just so I could watch the freakshow! I always imagined they went off afterwards for the worst, most-disturbing three-way ever!
    Makes me think of that scene in Goldmember where we first meet Foxy Cleopatra... I wish I could find a better still that's a full screen shot. Damn. Dragonrider that's freaking hysterical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phototron-austin_powers_in_goldmember_large_still_9.jpg  

Makes me think of that scene in Goldmember where we first meet Foxy Cleopatra... I wish I could find a better still that's a full screen shot. Damn. Dragonrider that's freaking hysterical.
    Gawd, it was wierd.

Mario was big believer in turnover, so at least one person would be fired every week. And he would use the term "turn over" to describe firing someone. So a typical session with Mario would invovle something like this, "Last week a customer called to complain that the three green clips were not included in his kit. I expect enerything to be in the kit. If an employee fails to put anything in the kit, that employee will be turned over." *stroking, fondling, rubbing*

There was a guy in charge of the manufacturing floor who used to have these twisted pep talks during lunch. He always mentioned that Mario had access to a sportfishing boat, and he would take us all fishing in a week or two if everything was going well. Then at some point in the week he'd say something about how Mario wasn't happy about how things were going, so no fishing this week, but maybe in another week if things pick up.

I could just see Mario as the captain of this boat, "I expect you to catch fish. Any employee who does not catch fish will be turned overboard." *stroking, fondling, rubbing*

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    If an employee fails to put anything in the kit, that employee will be turned over." *stroking, fondling, rubbing*
    Yes because we all know the genitals are underneath...

Yes because we all know the genitals are underneath...
    Yikes! I guess I was in even greater danger than I thought!

Mario actually reminded me a little bit of some kind of organized crime figure. I said before he yelled and threatened us, but really he didn't actually yell. It was more of a menacing kind of intimidation that you don't see much out here in California. I had this idea he was sent out by some East Coast crime family to set up an operation in CA. But of course Pyraponics didn't really fly under the radar, so that can't be it.

This was just a summer job for me, so I could take it or leave it, and after about 3 weeks I went to sell Margaritas at SeaWorld. I just remember seeing the ad in the paper and thinking, "No way! Pyraponics is hiring! I see that Phototron thing in High Times all the time! It'll be so cool!" No. Not cool. It was probably the same summer some of my friends got a job at the carwash. "It's gonna be just like the song!" No. Not like the song.

twoguysupnorth is offline Registered+
    i imagine you could use it, a mother plant would be excelent in there. (i think cause i never have used a phototron) for flowering though you wouldnt want the panels to allow light in. i think i really would use it as a novelty for other types of plants. reading my first high times in the 80's this sure brings back some memories/wishes of growing. the natural resource class was donated about a dozen of those things at that time by the police after a bust. as you can imagine all the students fingers were itching to do a project with them, but it never happened while i was there. lol, a bunch of teenagers drooling over a stack of phototrons, priceless.
    aint she pretty?

look what i just got ..... some new toys

any tips for these in a rubbermaid box

one is kush the other is orange mango
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phototron-dscn0028.jpg  

SWEET.
    If I were you I would do a test run first with crappy bagseeds up to the point where they are ready for the first transplant and feeding- about 3 weeks. this will save you making noob mistakes on the good ones. It happens; I killed my share of plants too, lol. Orange mango sounds like a DREAM.

sorry to ask basic qestion but my soil that i have is miracle gro orchid potting mix the numbers i see are 0.10-0.02-0.05 it would be nice to use this but if not i can get off my ass and get somthing better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast