Cannabis.com

Thread: HOW LONG DO CARBON FILTERS LAST?

smileibiza is offline Registered+

HOW LONG DO CARBON FILTERS LAST?

I have a 3000m3 extractor with the coresponding carbon filter which has been running 24/7 for 3 years without smells.
    How often is it recomendable to change it?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

BobBong is offline Registered+
    You remember that sweet carbon smell you got when the Filter was new??

That's what you're looking for.. chances are if the filter has been running 24/7 for 3 years it's long past due for a changing.

There's no exact life span on Carbon Filters because the usage can vary so much.. some run it 24/7, some run it only when the lights are on...

Either way, think back to that sweet carbon smell that you got when the filter was new... When you don't smell that anymore.. it's probably time to change it.
    As we live...a life of ease. Everyone of us...has all we need. Sky of Blue...and Sea of Green. In our Yellow Submarine.
    Bob's CannabisButter Recipe!
    Everything in Moderation...

grey1223 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by smileibiza View Post
    I have a 3000m3 extractor with the coresponding carbon filter which has been running 24/7 for 3 years without smells.
    Life of filter will vary greatly depending how how many watts your using and the amount of time your filter is used. Most manufacturers says 18 to 24 months. Like you, mine runs 24/7 and has been going for 4.5 years.

Mine empties into my attic and no smell yet.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    If you aren't smelling any weed smells, you have no reason to swap it out.

To answer this, you need to know a little about how the filter works. Filters are full of activated carbon, which binds to organic molecules and prevents them leaving the surface of the filter and hitting the receptors in your nose. The places where this may occur on a molecular level are called BINDING SITES. There are only a limited number of these contained in the filter, and the number depends on the MASS of carbon and the PARTICLE SIZE of the bits of activated charcoal in the filter. When all these binding sites have an organic molecule stuck to them, the filter is useless.

Lifespan depends on number of plants, how aromatic the strains are that you run, and what your temps are; all these factors compared to the MASS OF ACTIVATED CARBON contained in the filter determine the life.

A smaller filter (=less exposed active sites/ surface area of carbon) won't last as long under the same conditions as a larger one that can physically bind a larger mass of aromatic molecules.

If you have someone you can trust who does not live there, have them be your 'nose' since you may be unable to smell weed smells in your home because you are used to them.

Let your nose be your guide! Hope that helps some.

normaly no smell but sometimes friends can smell it outside on cutting and trimming days and day when it very cloudy closed day with little wind.

Time to change I think

Yup! Time to change! That's what friends are for!

xcrispi is offline Registered+
    I've also noticed mine didn't last near as long when doing hydro compared to soil grows . Carbon gets loaded w/ moisture so the filter can't do it's job .
    Peace
    Crispi

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by grey1223 View Post
    Mine empties into my attic and no smell yet.
    So, have all these folks 'never used one' and not know what they're talking about, either?

smileibiza:

Sorry about that. Mine is smaller, I'm pretty sure... but still runs almost constantly. I usually begin to notice it losing effectiveness after about 1.5-2 years. But it goes back to working like a charm when the carbon is replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clandestine View Post
    So, have all these folks 'never used one' and not know what they're talking about, either?

smileibiza:

Sorry about that. Mine is smaller, I'm pretty sure... but still runs almost constantly. I usually begin to notice it losing effectiveness after about 1.5-2 years. But it goes back to working like a charm when the carbon is replaced.
    Wish I knew what you meant but it appears other's experience mirror the statement I made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrispi View Post
    I've also noticed mine didn't last near as long when doing hydro compared to soil grows . Carbon gets loaded w/ moisture so the filter can't do it's job .
    Peace
    Crispi
    Yeah, high humidity is tougher on filter. Try to keep it below 60%.

Quote Originally Posted by smileibiza View Post
    I'm sorry I can't remember the name right now but when you replace the carbon be sure it's the 'good' stuff. It comes from a mine in Austrailia. There are different grades of activated carbon. The best will have the most surface area.I suspect some of us may be using inferior carbon and thus your filter life will be shortened. Since I can't remember the name I will say that Price is a good indicator of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by grey1223 View Post
    Wish I knew what you meant but it appears other's experience mirror the statement I made in the first place.
    You wish you knew... sure.
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

Wink

if i change the carbon can I use the old carbon for barbecues in the summer?

I see a flame war about to begin and I am warning anyone interested in participating in it that it would not be a good idea. Unless there is BBQ sauce and ribs involved, and someone gets an apron that says 'top chef' as a prize...

I see a flame war about to begin and I am warning anyone interested in participating in it that it would not be a good idea. Unless there is BBQ sauce and ribs involved, and someone gets an apron that says 'top chef' as a prize...
    Word. Dually noted.

but would the carbon burn?