Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Nutramist fogger?

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+

Should I get a Nutramist fogger?

I've always wanted to try fogging, since it is the absolute best way to give your roots oxygen. The results are supposed to surpass common aeroponics and NFT. I'm ready to re-do my spray system, since that's not really aeroponics, and it gets plugged up. Upon researching pump sizes and what all is required for true misting, I'm better off buying a fogger. I guess the new thing is to combine fogging with NFT, but due to power outages I'm considering combining it with a shallow res for the last 2 inches roots.

Has anyone compared the cheapo ultrasonic foggers to the Nutramist foggers? Do they get plugged up, are they hard to clean, do they need special "non-chunky" nutrients? Any comments regarding true fogging for a method of feeding would be much appreciated. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it.

Nutramist Ultrasonic Foggers For Hydroponics, Horticulture, Propagation, Foliar Feeding, Greenhouse And Grow Room Humidification An Pesticide Application:

thanks
    PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

Wow, talk about the popularity of the fog feed technique. The boards and this thread are going crazy.

Well even if I'm the only one, I'm about ready to take the plunge dad gummit. I've been saying for years that the key to huge healthy plants is plenty of oxygen in the rhizome. You'll see, you'll all be sorry. No wait, I didn't mean that. Please somebody stop me. I'm just about to order a single head fog module and get serious about this. I've found that the cheapo ones for fountain effects and stuff do not do the job as well. The whole point of FFT AKA Fog Feed Technique is to make a dry fog, which is water droplets under 5 micron. The bigger the droplet the less readily it is uptook (uptaken?) and larger droplets are really just like spraying. The cheapo ones make droplets from 10-50 micron, and are not designed to shatter nutrients.

NUTRAMIST Single Head Fog Module @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM

I love talking to myself.

xcrispi is offline Registered+
    I'm still watchin Opie .
    Crispi

Keep the dream alive and stuff. More coming soon hopefully. Maybe a fogging log.

GreenDestiny is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts View Post
    Keep the dream alive and stuff. More coming soon hopefully. Maybe a fogging log.
    That'd be awesome, I've never seen a grow log for that method.... yet
    "There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion." - 12 Monkeys.
    The hemp plant is our perfect symbiote! Down with capitalism, materialism, fascism, war, and superficialness! Long live the biosphere! *Proud offspring of a draft dodger*

my new little babies

oldmac is offline Registered+
    Hey Opie;

I checked out the Nutramist Fogger,and was not too impressed once I saw it in person. It is based on a pond fogger, and you could build a better one yourself, and a lot cheaper.

I'm currently building a frankenfogger machine called "Fogfognugen" because it will use two types of fog. 1) dry ultra-sonic fog produced by a Frapaplas Fogger and 2) a wet fog produced using impengment mister nozzles and a 150psi pump.

You can check out my build and see other experimenters of fog at:
    Fogponics Online.

Check out page 58 of the new High Times, named Fogponics and the Dominaero machine they make, the best new growing technique.

PS: I also have a picture of the TI Smartlamp over there.
    Last edited by oldmac; Aug-02-2008 at 03:06.

joedirte is offline Registered+
    that link you posted said the nutramist fogger is $25. why go for the cheepo version? how much cheaper do they get? or how much can they cost.

if this has applications in cloning, that might be interesting (or atleast a good way to get off the ground.)

hey. if you dont do this, i might give it a shot.
    -joe

Quote Originally Posted by joedirte View Post

hey. if you dont do this, i might give it a shot.
    Oh I'm doing it. The fog generators are supposed to be here in 2 days, and I lay awake all night thinking about design.

I've been doing some reading that these fog generators add a bunch of heat to the reservoir. My initial plan was to have 2 reservoirs, and the fogger in the one with the plants. Now I may actually build a small unit like the $300 nutramist models, thinking that the separate reservoir like they have might solve the heat issue. I don't think the fog will remain hot once it travels through the hose up to the plants, but if anyone has input on this I would certainly appreciate it. It would be much easier to simply put the fogger in with the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post
    I'm currently building a frankenfogger machine called "Fogfognugen" because it will use two types of fog. 1) dry ultra-sonic fog produced by a Frapaplas Fogger and 2) a wet fog produced using impengment mister nozzles and a 150psi pump.
    Thanks for dropping by.

Perhaps you could help me on the 2 types of fog though. How often are you planning on running the nozzles? It kinda seems like they would wash down the roots, thus defeating the purpose of the dry fog. I would expect no real improvement in the amount of fine root hairs you would normally get with dry fog, and I thought wet fogs produced roughly the same results as spraying. The whole point of fogging is to produce 5 micron droplets so that the roots get loads of air with their food and drink.

Also my understanding about misting and pumps is that for a true mist (something like 50 micron droplets) you'll need a 1000 psi, not 150. That and clogging is why I gave it up.

I'm new to fog research, so please correct me where I'm wrong.

You can check out my build and see other experimenters of fog at:
    Fogponics Online.
    Well I'd love to see it, but even after finding your thread and signing up so I can see the pictures, they won't let me see them. After thanking me for logging in, I get taken to a page that tells me I'm not logged in.

Any chance you could post some photos here? Or even links to photos?

Fogponics Online.
    Check out page 58 of the new High Times, named Fogponics and the Dominaero machine they make, the best new growing technique.
    I feel like an idiot today, but I can't figure out how to work the High Times site. Even after searching and getting a link to the article you talk about, it just takes me to the list of this year's issues.

Or were you talking about a physical copy of High Times? The nearest one is 2 hours of driving at 13 mpg, and mail is out of the question.

Dad gummit, we need those photos, STAT!

Here's some darn nice rooting using fogponics:

Picasa Web Albums - Jesse - root progress...

Here's some darn nice rooting using fogponics:

Picasa Web Albums - Jesse - root progress...
    I wonder how fast -n- hairy cuttings / clones get compared to these seed sprouts ? A homemade fog cloner might be in our near future here .
    Crispi

Not sure but that guy said it was a tomato seed. I learned in medical marijuana class that if you have talk about conditions for plants but don't want to say the M word, then talk about tomatoes, since they have very similar needs and desires.

I'm thinking I might just drop a unit in my cheapo aero cloner, but not turn it on until some roots begin to show. Still worried about heat though. I'm not going to spend $450 on an aquarium chiller for my cheapo cloner, which already works pretty well.

anbesol is offline Registered+
    OPie, im still waiting on your log. come on bro. im so excited to see this
    *Disclaimer: I do not know anything about Cannabis and Cannabis Growing. Anything Said is Made up Fiction and All images Posted are available freely on the internet. This is a Public Computer. This Forum Is used as a Fantasy World and anything said is not true about myself or anyone i know*

NYC Diesel&Hypnoberry-http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ypnoberry.html
    NYC Diesel- http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ty-diesel.html

That's no shit Opie ,
    I never thought of the heat involved .
    I have a lil cloner like yours BTW , Reaper pirated your design , and I stole it from him . Works good even for popin seeds .
    Crispi

Weezard is online now Registered+

Mahalo, OY!

Wow, talk about the popularity of the fog feed technique. The boards and this thread are going crazy.

Well even if I'm the only one, I'm about ready to take the plunge dad gummit. I've been saying for years that the key to huge healthy plants is plenty of oxygen in the rhizome. You'll see, you'll all be sorry. No wait, I didn't mean that. Please somebody stop me. I'm just about to order a single head fog module and get serious about this. I've found that the cheapo ones for fountain effects and stuff do not do the job as well. The whole point of FFT AKA Fog Feed Technique is to make a dry fog, which is water droplets under 5 micron. The bigger the droplet the less readily it is uptook (uptaken?) and larger droplets are really just like spraying. The cheapo ones make droplets from 10-50 micron, and are not designed to shatter nutrients.

NUTRAMIST Single Head Fog Module @ FUTUREGARDEN.COM

I love talking to myself.

5 microns, 'ey?
    Who knew?
    I was just about to yank a fogger from my koi pond.
    You just saved me time and trouble.

You jus' keep talkin to yourself, brah.
    Good t'ings comin' from dat!

A hi ha,
    Weezard
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya

Opie;

Sorry to hear abt the trouble gettting into fogponics, I'll post some pics here for you and others. Give the other a try again tho, I'll let John the webmaster know.
    BTW the pics above you show in blackstar collars labeled Jesse, is JesseJames who owns Fogponics. (NebulaWest)

Most of the inexpensive foggers are based on "pond foggers" which is fine. Just make sure you get the bouy with it; it is designed to take the ultra-sonic head and float in water. It is the easiest way to keep the water level correct for the head. Also you really need to go to 3-head or more to fill most good size grow chambers, unless you go individual 1-head unit per single plant grow bucket.

Let me introduce you to a frankenfogger machine known as "Fogfognugen"

Uses two types of fog:

1)ultra-sonic dry fog from a Frapaplas Fogger from Plastique Frapa inc
    cost is $629 canadian, duty free NAFTA, be prepared to give fed ID # or personnel SS#, you lucky americans.

2)Bete Nozzles PJ-12 impingement nozzle with .012 orifice beatin against a pin size obstruction

I calculate the Frapa running abt 10mins every 1/2 hr, and the pressure misters 3-5 seconds (depending on system pressurization time) every 1/2 hr.

Here are a few pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-004.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-005.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-high-pressure-system-001.jpg  

Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-high-pressure-system-002.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-high-pressure-system-003.jpg  

Here's some pics of the plastic.
    2- 4'X4' grow trays and lids. 138 plant site each side 276 Total.

Mister nozzles are plumbed in the lid, fog thru large pvc pipe.
    note the cool "root gurards" for fog inlet....oldmac's root spa!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-fogfognugen-plastic-004.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-fogfognugen-plastic-001.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-fogfognugen-008.jpg  

Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-fogfognugen-005.jpg   Should I get a Nutramist fogger?-fogfognugen-010.jpg  

Thanks for dropping by.

Perhaps you could help me on the 2 types of fog though. How often are you planning on running the nozzles? It kinda seems like they would wash down the roots, thus defeating the purpose of the dry fog. I would expect no real improvement in the amount of fine root hairs you would normally get with dry fog, and I thought wet fogs produced roughly the same results as spraying. The whole point of fogging is to produce 5 micron droplets so that the roots get loads of air with their food and drink.

Also my understanding about misting and pumps is that for a true mist (something like 50 micron droplets) you'll need a 1000 psi, not 150. That and clogging is why I gave it up.

I'm new to fog research, so please correct me where I'm wrong.
    Just realized I did not cover this all.
    The reason for two systems is redundancy. High value crop, why take chances? Either system will keep plants going, so if one system goes tits up, no panic.
    I've seen, in person, demonstrations of both sytems before. The original Frapa fogger was designed in Isreal (where I saw It) and was later made under parternship with Canadian plastics mfg. It's a true 5micron or less fog.
    Ain't cheap.
    Mister Nozzle's like Bete, produce "some" sub-5 micron, but the majority of the fog or mist is 5-50 micron. Natural fog is said to be abt 30 (your micron's my vary)

You said it above Opie: The fine delicate roots love oxygenated moisture (and even co2) but there are also larger/longer tap roots that like drinking water. Figure give them a drink of wet fog.

As to clogs, first if you use a pond fogger, change the transducers right away. Second be very carefull with what you use.(no olivia's!)
    I'm pushing things with the nozzles I'm using, orifice is just .012. Key here is good filtration before pump...I'm using a 5 micron sediment filter. BTW, these brass nozzle's are probably overkill, they cost 13.50 each in a lot of 36. I'm using 8per tray, 16per fogfognugen, and I will be building two. Also, I'll be running very light nutrient solutions, abt 20% and I plan to utilize more foliar feeding (for various reasons).

The proposed schedule is Frapa fogger 10 mins on (@10min after the hour and 1/2 hr) every 30 mins. 24 hrs a day, don't want roots to dry out during dark period, even if they are not feeding.
    Mister nozzles 3-5 seconds every half hour(on the hour and 1/2 hr) on photocell=only when lights are on. Photocell in cycle timer syncs with other timer, when lights come on.

So for example start at 7:00pm lights come on, first event is mister pump for 3-5sec. !0 mins later Frapa starts, runs 10mins and stops. 7:30 mister pump, 10 mins later etc etc.

Here's a place with various size foggers, maybe give you some ideas. Those small size room humidifer's are not too expensive and could hold promise. Plus they have pond foggers up the wazoo. Mainland Mart factory outlet and wholesale supplier

Wow Opie you are right. Everyone jumping in at the same time. hehe

I love talking to myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and you got me doing it now.

You know, maybe you should have started it in "Advance Tech".....

........I know I would have seen it sooner.

Yeah, let's keep the good ideas alive.
    Last edited by oldmac; Aug-05-2008 at 15:54.

Weezard is online now Registered+
    Wow!

Dude!

Wow!

Weeze
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya

d4twamp is offline Registered+
    They say your not crazy if you talk to yourself; it's when you start answering back when you need to start to worry... lol... I guess I need to start to worry cuz I'm always answering my own rambles..

I too am interested in fogponics Haven't lost sleep over it like you Opie but I know what you mean ... My brain is always running about projects I'd love to get goin in the CULTIVATION STATION.. I'll definitly be subscribing to this thread...

Thanx for your posts too Opie, I've learned alot by lurking as you and the usual suspects help others in their adventures in this great hobby... After being a dirty boi I think h20 is the way 2 gro, indoors at least...although I'd like to try hydro outdoor from seed some day go for size..
    But fogponics is definitly the future, And I'd love to bear witness to the revolution...

Later D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast