Cannabis.com

Thread: Too much light??

PapayaTwins is offline Registered

Too much light??

I know from the plants' perspective, there's no such thing as too much light. But from a safety stand-point, is a 1000-watt metal halide or tungsten light too bright/hot for a 16 ft square closet? Don't wanna burn down the house, but I also wanna provide enough light for the gals to bloom. What do you think?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

anbesol is offline Registered+
    WAYYYY TO MUCH LIGHT! at the most get a 400 watt.

Also, if you dont want to burn the house down, get one of these....BetterGrow Hydro Online - Flame Defender Automatic Extinguisher
    *Disclaimer: I do not know anything about Cannabis and Cannabis Growing. Anything Said is Made up Fiction and All images Posted are available freely on the internet. This is a Public Computer. This Forum Is used as a Fantasy World and anything said is not true about myself or anyone i know*

NYC Diesel&Hypnoberry-http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ypnoberry.html
    NYC Diesel- http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ty-diesel.html

lampost is offline Registered+

I strongly disagree

Quote Originally Posted by anbesol View Post
    WAYYYY TO MUCH LIGHT! at the most get a 400 watt.

Also, if you dont want to burn the house down, get one of these....BetterGrow Hydro Online - Flame Defender Automatic Extinguisher
    If you can keep the temps down, then there's no problem with a 1000W. You'll definitely need to go air-cooled, but if you have means to vent the air then go for it. You'll yield A LOT more and if you're gonna do it.... go big man!!!

I've seen a 1000W in a 4x5' room and it works great with an air-cooled hood and a nice fan..... cost you an extra $100. You can get some great 6" fans for about $100.... check out HTG. The $25 inline may even work for you if conditions are right.

The more light the better!

Quote Originally Posted by PapayaTwins View Post
    I know from the plants' perspective, there's no such thing as too much light.
    Kinda wrong. There is a point of diminishing returns. But actually it's not necessarily the light that's the killer...it's the humidity levels and heat stress that does ya in. Ever seen a plant that's sun bleached?
    But from a safety stand-point, is a 1000-watt metal halide or tungsten light too bright/hot for a 16 ft square closet? Don't wanna burn down the house, but I also wanna provide enough light for the gals to bloom. What do you think?
    Overkill. A 400w should be fine. (in that particular closet space)

Light-proofing and ventilation will be your major concerns.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Jan-27-2010 at 07:59.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    I light bleached these two puppies with a 400 CMH bulb...too close......during week #3 flowering

it gets worse and doesn't recover...(lesson learned.....)..the buds grew more for awhile...then stopped growing...fan leaves white on top, but still green underneath?

8 weeks old now...chopped & drying...I'm not hopeful...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Too much light??-week-3-light-bleaching-001.jpg  
    Last edited by Dutch Pimp; Jan-27-2010 at 09:10.

anbesol is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post
    I light bleached these two puppies with a 400 CMH bulb...too close......during week #3 flowering

it gets worse and doesn't recover...(lesson learned.....)..the buds grew more for awhile...then stopped growing...fan leaves white on top, but still green underneath?

8 weeks old now...chopped & drying...I'm not hopeful...
    Fuck man, I had that same problem my last grow with my 400 watt. Not letting it happen again so I started LST to keep the heat at a min.
    *Disclaimer: I do not know anything about Cannabis and Cannabis Growing. Anything Said is Made up Fiction and All images Posted are available freely on the internet. This is a Public Computer. This Forum Is used as a Fantasy World and anything said is not true about myself or anyone i know*

NYC Diesel&Hypnoberry-http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ypnoberry.html
    NYC Diesel- http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ty-diesel.html

Weezard is offline Registered+

Cool A plant's perspective.

I know from the plants' perspective, there's no such thing as too much light.

Not so, my friend.
    At around 70K Lux, the leaves will get thicker as the thylakoids roll over to shed the excess light.

Anything north of 91k Lux will halt growth.
    After that, bleaching and permanent damage.
    Here's yet another hint that anything more than enough, is too much.

But from a safety stand-point, is a 1000-watt metal halide or tungsten light too bright/hot for a 16 ft square closet? Don't wanna burn down the house, but I also wanna provide enough light for the gals to bloom. What do you think?
    We have to use a screen near the equator to keep our gals from getting sunburned.
    On a clear day, we hit 92k.!
    They all "siesta" at noon.
    So do I.

Aloha,
    Weezard
    Everyt'ing: http://cannabis.com/growing/index.html
    Plants do things for a reason..they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny. - Weedhound

"You have the ability to move 1000 times faster than your plant, but that doesn't mean that you should." - Emilya