Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Small buds !?

mrmuffler is offline Registered+

Very Small buds !?

Ok so im probable sure i can answer this question my self but i figured it was time to turn to people with real experience.

Basically this is my first try at growing and my girl is around 2' tall with many branchs, problem is is that the buds are Very small, almost as though they are not there !

This grow started with 70 watts of light from Flurecent tubes and has now gone on to CFL's only a total of 5 producing arouns 8k lumens (i know not enough) i have them setup so 3 are on the sides and 2 on top. For this grow i used some Nutrients but i cant say for sure not enough, even though the plant grew strong but bud production is almost nothing.

Ill try get some pictures up tonight but im pretty sure its a little late im about 8+ weeks into flower.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

crf70rider is offline Registered+
    well im about 15 and i use cfls i got bud idk your prblem....wats your lite schedule at 12/12 or wat ??? i need more info !! you need some fox farms tiger bloom or some flora nova for some boost in soil idk really more info please

sarah louise is offline Registered+
    Flowering requires more light than vegging... can't say more without pics and more info.
    Typing does not equal activism.

Im running 5 cfls. 150watts equivalent, i have 2 over the plant and 3 from all sides, temp is 70 humidity is kept around 23%, they get water every 3 days and little nutrients. I will take pics and post them up

I understand you all need more info but what exactly are you looking

canni13is is offline Registered+
    looking for pictures

Here you go ! Their room is covered in Mylar i removed them for the photos !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very Small buds !?-img_0043.jpg   Very Small buds !?-img_0042.jpg   Very Small buds !?-img_0041.jpg  

Last edited by mrmuffler; Feb-27-2010 at 18:29.

????

They look great. Whats the prob?

IM in my 9th week of flower and the size is not moving at all, im unsure if i need to add nutrients or what !?
    Im looking around at everyone elses plants and at the same time im at they have a Lot more bud ... My plant really has almost nothing in terms of bud about 3 or 4 grams wet i would say

GetThisOrDie is offline Registered+
    How close are your lights to the plant?? CFLs need to be as close as possible... like 2-4" away from the plant. Not enough light could probably produce the mini buds. The plant looks healthy just baby buds.

Im not sure if the reason they are small is because i have lights on all side and not just all above the plant.

They are about 1"-1.5" from the top and the others are about the same.

IM at 8k lumens total.

I forgot to mention the main cola was topped and when i did it, it ended up dying. and then the rest just continued to grow!

also growth on the rest of the stems is very slow almost nothing, they all have Huge white hairs but No bud at all!?
    Last edited by mrmuffler; Feb-27-2010 at 20:26.

stra8outtaWeed is offline Registered+
    i would have to say that you are providing enough light to make them grow but not enough for budding....plants don't see lumens...they only need a few colors form the light spectrum to grow! Are your CFL's in the warm color range i.e. 2500k?

Quote Originally Posted by stra8outtaWeed View Post
    i would have to say that you are providing enough light to make them grow but not enough for budding....plants don't see lumens...they only need a few colors form the light spectrum to grow! Are your CFL's in the warm color range i.e. 2500k?
    Im running 4400k- 5000k ...

I read all over that lumen are very important for plants to bud !?

those "big white hairs" are the buds. Your grow is just really slow cause your not providing it with the correct spectrums and enough lumens. they will eventually get bigger and bigger. But at this rate...... might be done at 16 weeks 17 weeks. Id advise getting more and the correct lighting to your plants.

Well what color temp would you recommend? I want w/e light temp to give me the best growing power, Should i add bloom nutrients?

for flowering its recommended warm, so 2700k. And of course you can add blooming nutes. Just make sure you know what and how before you start just adding stuff.

krisk1227 is offline Registered+
    Home depot sell a cfl that is 2600k 150 watt with high lumens. it is a big cfl get several with splitters might help. Plus no one ask what size pots they are in . If roots are root bound there will be minimal bud growth as well. they look ok other wise

Quote Originally Posted by mrmuffler View Post
    Im running 4400k- 5000k ...

I read all over that lumen are very important for plants to bud !?

Lumens and Lux are measurements of how bright a light source appears to the human eye. Since the human eye is most sensitive to colors plants don't need, and least sensitive to colors plants prefer, Lumens can't be used to accurately compare the plant growing capability grow lights.
    If a grow light manufacturer rates his grow light output in Lumens they are only telling you how bright it will appear to you and light your room, not how well it will grow your plants. The most accurate unit of measurement for comparing plant lighting is the micro Einstein, which measures how many photons of light strike an area per second.

But, while this is a much better way to estimate a lamp's plant growing ability than Lumens or Lux, it is still very difficult to directly compare two different types of grow lights. All grow lights except the LEDs grow lights emit large amounts of light plants don't use very efficiently, so including that light output in a light's plant growing measurement is misleading.

Last edited by stra8outtaWeed; Feb-28-2010 at 05:44.

cigarettes42 is offline Registered+
    honestly your problem isnt the temp of your light. plants can grow in any kind of spectrum. its just that each color produces differently. old schoolers use to grow with 4ft cool white florescent bulbs. i noticed you didnt fill any ts form. that would help. but noticed your purple stems. that could be caused by a cold grow room. if the room is to cold it will hinder its growth.

Bucket Ebb/Flow GDP - Sensi grow/bloom w/ff water soluables.

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...dy-purple.html

Thanks everyone for all the GREAT help so far, really glad i joined the site !

Wow first off you all def know what your talking about you hit everything on the head that i thought the problems was

Ok so im going to start by going to the store and buying some 2700 spectrum lights , I have already replaced 2 lights and im going to add a few more.

As per Bloom nutrients is there something @ homedepot or walmart ect i could buy and what would be recommended ?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarettes42 View Post
    honestly your problem isnt the temp of your light. plants can grow in any kind of spectrum. its just that each color produces differently. old schoolers use to grow with 4ft cool white florescent bulbs. i noticed you didnt fill any ts form. that would help. but noticed your purple stems. that could be caused by a cold grow room. if the room is to cold it will hinder its growth.
    You really know your stuff! I ended up with about 4 cold nights over the past couple of weeks and i didnt adjust my heat accordingly. Now it has been fixed with new heating system.
    But do you think thats the reason why it has not grown in the last month ?

Im going to throw this out there! So the other night i was thinking why not add a reptile heating pad under the plant on a dimmer and set it to about 60-70 would that work at all ?

Thanks again all !

Quote Originally Posted by stra8outtaWeed View Post
    Lumens and Lux are measurements of how bright a light source appears to the human eye. Since the human eye is most sensitive to colors plants don't need, and least sensitive to colors plants prefer, Lumens can't be used to accurately compare the plant growing capability grow lights.
    If a grow light manufacturer rates his grow light output in Lumens they are only telling you how bright it will appear to you and light your room, not how well it will grow your plants. The most accurate unit of measurement for comparing plant lighting is the micro Einstein, which measures how many photons of light strike an area per second.

But, while this is a much better way to estimate a lamp's plant growing ability than Lumens or Lux, it is still very difficult to directly compare two different types of grow lights. All grow lights except the LEDs grow lights emit large amounts of light plants don't use very efficiently, so including that light output in a light's plant growing measurement is misleading.

Very cool ! Thanks for all the info!

no plants will not grow in any spectrum of light!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarettes42 View Post
    i will agree that room temps could be a factor...but if you check the wavelengths of light that are used for a plant to make photosynthesis you cannot grow under any spectrum of light!!!! MJ happens to be a very hearty type of plant that can be grown under poor lighting....the better your light source the better product you will produce!

your welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmuffler View Post
    Very cool ! Thanks for all the info!
    gotta give credit to personified...i copied and pasted the lumens explanation from a thread of his!

your next grow will be better!
    Last edited by stra8outtaWeed; Feb-28-2010 at 09:29.

LetsSeeYa is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by krisk1227 View Post
    Home depot sell a cfl that is 2600k 150 watt with high lumens. it is a big cfl get several with splitters might help. Plus no one ask what size pots they are in . If roots are root bound there will be minimal bud growth as well. they look ok other wise
    Yeppers id like to know what size pot you have them in, because it sounds like you need a re-pot. My smallest plant in the smallest pot has the smallest buds. But, everything looked small to me with this being my 1st indoor grow. I am used to outdoor growing though. Nutes will help but start out with a low dose. At the same time if you are root bound the nutes arnt going to help ya. The plants look very nice to bad your having a problem.

Good luck

''If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you'll add 8 to 24 years to your life.''
    'Jack Herer

This site is Great everyone on here so willing to help

Now as per pot she is in a 10 gallon so i know she has pleanty of room to grow.

Im going to rebuild her room and get more new lights for the next grow. I plan on growing about 2 plants under 6 300w cfls that they sell at homedepot. They are HUGE!

and possible some 150s running all sides, i want to make sure the new plants have better yeilds! I honestly think ill be luck to get 1/4 O from this plant ..

So if there is really not much more to be done with this lady should i harvest her and start again or let her keep growing ? also would it be bad to take one of the buds to see what type(sat/ind) of plant she is ?

Also what nutrients should i use on the next one ? I would like it if i could buy them local?

This plant isnt done yet, not even close. I dont see any signs that the buds are even starting to mature ( amber pistols etc etc). Its slow growing thats all. If you harvest her now all you will have is a bunch of undeveloped buds that will prolly just give you a headache. She looks very normal but given you have told us how old she is means she is just very slow at flowering. Give her time and she will grow more and more. My thought is she isnt getting enough light. i mean she is in a 10 gallon pot, and looks very healthy and green. Seems that light is your only area that needs improvement IMHO.
    Last edited by canni13is; Feb-28-2010 at 15:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast