Cannabis.com

Thread: 3 vs. 5 Gallon Buckets

bigsby is offline Banned

Arrow 3 vs. 5 Gallon Buckets

I have 3 gallon pots but I'm wondering whether I should move up to 5 gallon pots. I know the rule of thumb, 1 gallon per foot. I can get by with 3 foot plants although I would like to get to 4 feet. I can't go much bigger than that. Medium is soil. Style is ScrOG.

I'm moving from being an outdoor farmer to indoor so even 4 feet seems small but I'll just grow a few more plants indoors to make up for it. I guess my question is, can I grow a decent 4 foot plant in a 3 gallon bucket or do I need to step up to 5 gallons? I already have my pots so my preference is to stay at 3 gallons if possible.

Your experience appreciated.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+
    From seed I'd be prepared to use 4 or 5 gals, with clones you should be able to get away with 3 gals. More root space = more growth above soil
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010

bigsby is offline Banned
    Don't you deal in liters? :0

Yeah, more roots = bigger canopy. That is what prompted my rethink on 3 gallons. I'll be doing a seed run to start and then clones adding an occasional new strain from time to time. Starting with AK48 and Pink Grapefruit plus I have a mix pack that includes Hawaiian Snow, Super Silver Haze, Lemon Skunk, White Rhino, and Big Bang. I'll be adding these lines in over time.
    Last edited by bigsby; Jul-01-2010 at 08:07.

GetThisOrDie is offline Registered+
    I can definitely see the difference having more root space in the 5g compared to the 3g.

My 3g plants tend to be shorter single cola plants but when I use the 5g giving them alot of room they explode with side growth during the stretch.

You will be able to get away with the 4ft in a 3g... ive done it before but your yield will go down. It will go up if you switch to a 5g.

DISCLAIMER: everything I post and say are lies. I am simply roleplaying. All photos were found on the internet and/or fake!! I do not grow or use anything illegal.

bigsby is offline Banned
    Yeah this seems to be the consensus from what I've been reading. I like my 3 gallon buckets. They fit the space nicely. I need to get two more buckets so I'll make those 5s and then compare.

stra8outtaWeed is offline Registered+
    just look for squares as you can utilize your space better with either size you choose.

bigsby is offline Banned
    Here is a related question. Can anyone comment on the benefits of a taller but more narrow bucket vs. a wider but shorter bucket? Both being 5 gallons. I guess the question is, do the plants prefer to spread their roots wide vs. deep? I'm thinking wider is preferable but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by bigsby; Jul-01-2010 at 09:48.

bigsby is offline Banned
    Yeah I have squares in the starter and 1 gallon sizes but not the bigger sizes where it really counts I guess...

My clones and mothers will be in squares in a small tent so I gain the space efficiencies there.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Cool IMO

a lot of female plants?...3 gallon...a few female plants?..5 gallon

I sex the plants before the final transplant......and I don't transplant males...DOH!..
    Last edited by Dutch Pimp; Jul-01-2010 at 10:17.

bigsby is offline Banned
    Can you explain the logic here? I'll be flowering 6 - 8 max.

TheChameleon is offline Registered+
    My current grow is in 3 gallon pots and I go by a basic rule for all my plants vegetables etc... 1 sq ft rule... My 3 gallon pots are 11 3/4" wide by 12"...

it's how you grow and genetics that really determine yield ... My girls need stakes to hold up the colas...
    For Sale
    One Used Violin