Cannabis.com

Thread: When do i swtich to Vegetative State?

twitterthis is offline Registered

When do i swtich to Vegetative State?

Alright so I just started growing about a week and a half ago. I started with a long pot and I recently moved the plants into individual solo cups with holes in the bottom. I have about 18 plants or so. They are under florescent lights and they are now growing their second set of leaves as you can see in the pictures I attached.

When do i swtich to Vegetative State?-photo.jpgWhen do i swtich to Vegetative State?-photo-1-.jpgWhen do i swtich to Vegetative State?-photo-2-.jpg

So I'm wondering: When do I switch the lighting to 18/6. They have been on 24 hour light since they were planted.... So like a week and a half.

thanks!
    Last edited by twitterthis; Feb-08-2012 at 17:52.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Bluenote is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by twitterthis View Post
    Alright so I just started growing about a week and a half ago. I started with a long pot and I recently moved the plants into individual solo cups with holes in the bottom. I have about 18 plants or so. They are under florescent lights and they are now growing their second set of leaves as you can see in the pictures I attached.

[So I'm wondering: When do I switch the lighting to 18/6. They have been on 24 hour light since they were planted.... So like a week and a half.

thanks!
    Any time , I personally only keep seedlings on 24 until about that size , and clones go to 18/6 or 17/7 as soon as they get transplanted. Keep vegging under the fluoros for a whole , don't be hammering those seedlings with an HID for a couple more weeks.

Are you utilising T5s or T8s? And what spectrum do you have in the units?

i think im using t8's. there are 2 light bulbs thats screw into it. like this:

http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/images/fluore36.jpg

and i planned on switching to 18/6 after theyve been growing for 2 weeks.

i think im using t8's. there are 2 light bulbs thats screw into it. like this:

http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/images/fluore36.jpg

and i planned on switching to 18/6 after theyve been growing for 2 weeks.

No matter , that fixture could be either , in the future try to get T5s , start paying attention to the spectrum of bulbs in those fixtures when you buy them , it's important both from a production ( growth) standpoint and also health factors.

You'll hear a lot of different crap about veg and all the new wave lights etc, at this juncture utilise the KISS principle and just get things down solidly.

Look I;m not going to bust your chops , I'll just point out that you might not wish to make the mistake most beginners make...........this is ****supposed to be FUN**** , don't over complicate everuthing from the begining so that it becomes much more a pain in your ass than FUN , that one factor causes a lot of folks to give up.

At it's most basic analysis.............this is a WEED , a very tough weed , and more than one individual ( me included) has had a few that we " killed with kindness"............

Patience is rewarded , and develop a bullshit detector as far as most retail stuff connected with this , take *everything* a given seed company says with a grain of salt , and don't get me started on the pirates and bullshit artists you're gonna find in " hydro stores" peddling the latest 40-'eleventy part " SySteM For BEEEGGBudSzzz".

Plan ahead for your next round and the one beyond that , get your ducks in a row as far as cloning your next bunch as soon as this round is large enough to cut from. , perhaps select one to keep as a mother. And with what's going on in the legal sense you'd best put some seed away in a safe place **** at a different location than your grow**** , that way you have some possibility of staring over should something horrendous occur. **protect your genetics*** , all the fancy ass equipment in the world makes ZERO difference if you don't have something to start with.

DeeDouble is offline Registered
    You are in veg cycle mate. 24 or 18/6 is good enough for ur veg cycle.

Alright thanks. How long do I keep it in the veg state?

Alright thanks. How long do I keep it in the veg state?

Until it reaches the height you want to flip it at , keep in mind stretch factors so you don't run out of vertical space in flower , as an example a double bred Afghan I keep will only stretch about .5 to 1 , meaning that if you kicked it over at 18 inches it would gain 9 inches or so in height during flowering , on the other habd a Landrace Thai that I keep for my head will stretch 3 to 1 , kicj it at 18 inches and you'll finish at nearly six feet.

In addition...as a general rule...bigger plant bigger harvest , this however does require additional veg time , and then there is of course the added factor of some strains being notoriously slow as regards veg time , I cut the Purple Urkle from my library for that exact reason , my White Rhino is slow in veg too but make up for it in yield and just pure knockdown potency.

Measure those puppies now , let 'em grow to 15-20 inches and kick 'em over. If you give us a strain we could give you a better idea of veg time perhaps , pardon if you did and I missed it.
    Last edited by Bluenote; Feb-09-2012 at 22:58.