Thread: small yield

puro is offline Registered

small yield

Hi All, Just finished my first grow with afgan kush auto, they all seemed to do well with few problems , took a little longer than I thought and finished with small buds and low yield!! after cutting I checked the roots which were small about the size of a fist....what am I doing wrong and can you suggest a different plant, I was thinking of going with non auto so that I can clone......Help please

bobjob4u is offline Registered+
    I have grown this strain and i averaged 40-50 grams per plant. Good soil is important for good root production. Also ample lightning. It is normal for a beginner to only get 15-30 grams per plant.There are larger yielding auto's.

thanks for your reply, was growing under 4 36w flows, just the best I had around with 16/8 light cycle?? prob got about what you said 10/15g...would I be better with cfls if so how many?? any help gratefully received....do you think I should stick to auto until I get the hang of it (what are the better autos), just thought clones would speed it up a bit and save keep having to get seeds... thanks again

Increase light cycle to 20/4. If you are gonna use cfl look for those big cfl at lowes or home depot they are 2700k(great for flowering) and 300 watt equivalent.Think they are 65 watt actual. Number of light's depends on size of grow space and number of plants. I like no less then 50 watts a square foot. Also adding a 70 watt or 150 watt hps with the cfl would make a big difference. For years i used 3 -70watt hps with cfl's. When you increase lighting and your skills you yields will also increase!! here is a Afghan kush ryder done by a seasoned grower in optimal conditions small yield-imag0546zd.jpg
    Last edited by bobjob4u; Mar-23-2012 at 05:30.

ThePinkJina is offline Registered+
    You can also buy those 70 watt HPS flood lights from Lowe's or Home Depot.. about $70 to $100, CFL's will definitely give you more lumens. Try an online store like Amazon or eBay. They have really good deals on 600w HID systems.

Best of luck next time!!

70 watt hps are 34.95 at lowes. i bought one 2 weeks ago. Those big cfl's are around 15 bucks a piece.

Hi all and thanks for your help, going to have another go growing. I am going to reduce the space to about a m2 so will try the cfls im a bit worried about the heat from hps ???.
    Im not in the US so getting what I need is a real pain!!! can you suggest a good auto with hi yield for me to try?? (wish my ryder looked like the pic)
    Another problem I had was masking the smell and tips??

Hi all and thanks for your help, going to have another go growing. I am going to reduce the space to about a m2 so will try the cfls im a bit worried about the heat from hps ???.
    Im not in the US so getting what I need is a real pain!!! can you suggest a good auto with hi yield for me to try?? (wish my ryder looked like the pic)
    Another problem I had was masking the smell and tips??

check out auto seed co at the attitude I believe they have some auto they suggested had a low smell factor for those where smell was a concern. Samsara thunder bloody mary was a small but stout plant that produced ample bud medium smell.If smell is a factor then i would choose strain according to that factor most yields are similiar.

What do you think about this cfl any good??
    300w dual Spectrum CFL grow light lamp for Hydroponics
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; Mar-26-2012 at 10:36. Reason: killed store link - Posting links to sites that sell goods & services is prohibited, as per Board Rules..

Those would be fine if you are gonna go cfl all the way. A great choice. How many plants are you gonna grow. I myself would go with one of those bulbs per 2 plants. So if you are gonna do 4 i would use 2 of those 300 watt cfl.I believe in the most light i can use.sometimes i go a little overboard! I believe you said you were growing in one square meter? correct. Also here is the link to Auto seeds auto #1 it is advertised as a good plant for small grows and with the lowest oudor of all autos!
    cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/Auto Seeds Auto #1 Feminised
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; Mar-26-2012 at 10:43. Reason: killed store link - Posting links to sites that sell goods & services is prohibited, as per Board Rules..

Yea I think I will try with a square metre and see how that goes, how many plants and lights do you think is best for that space??, I think I have sorted the smell problem so I am going to go for the best producer..I started my last in peat pots and think they restricted the roots do you normally plant direct into the large pot??
    do you think light was my main problem??.
    Thanks again for your help..

PS do I need the duel spectrum cfl or will another type be OK???

Ok first thing I germinate my seeds in a wet clothe in a warm place. Then i put them into those red plastic party cups.Now i have done it several ways.I have used peat pellets. After you swell the pellet with water, take a razor blade and slice the webbing/netting on the bottom of the pellet.This will allow the roots to grow through with no restriction.Then i place it into the cup that is fill 2/3 of the way with potting mix.Fill in around peat pellet then place germinated seed in peat after it germinates.The reason i done this was cause the potting mix i was using had nutes in it, it was my only option at the time.it aloud seedling some time to mature before hitting the potting soil. I now just buy peat and fill the complete cup with peat then transplant to larger container at 2/3 weeks or first sign of flowering.I use 3 different grow space. They are all roughly around a square meter each. Depending on strain i can do up to 6 plants. Now with the larger auto strains you are looking at about 4. I have done 4 sweet seeds S.A.D. under 400 hps and yielded about 6 ounces. I would go for 2 full spectrum lights and buy a five pack of the seeds of your choice.I have good luck with sweet seeds and royal queen seeds. both 100% germination to date!

Thanks for all your advise, I have a few seeds (Samples) so I am going to try again with these and see if I do better, these cfls are giving me stress... I can get hold of 32w cfl which I think gives about 150w so X4 should be enough but I cant see what type of light it gives off, I am making up a 1m reflector from aluminium to house the cfls so this should help( I will post a pic asap, so you can tell me what you think!!!) think this is the best option as running costs are a factor... but I have to increase the yield or I might as well give up...