Post By piecemasta
Post By bigsby
My Ultimate Indoor Grow Room Setup
What is your experience level?
· Approximately 4 years. All indoors with soil on a much smaller scale.
.1) Type and wattage of lights? For cloning I had a 2’ T-5 fluorescent fixture, for veg I use either an air-cooled 250w and/or 400w XXXL fixture, and for flowering I use 2 1000w air-cooled XXXL fixtures in series.
.2) Distance from tops? Depending on maturity, approximately 12” for veg and down to18” for flower or further, again depending on maturity and overall health.
.3) Reflector type? 3-6” XXXL’s and one 250w Sunburst fixture
.4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply? I have the room fairly well sealed. There are two 20”x30” air filters, one for each room. At first I had some fairly fine ones but had to get some others that were less restrictive since I am utilizing passive air intakes.
.5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan? I have a 400cfm centrifugal fan in the flowering room pulling air through this filter and over 2 1000w bulbs which are all connected in series. The thermometer in the FL room has been reading a high of around 78-82 degrees and under the 1000w bulbs at plant level has been reading about 4 degrees hotter. For the veg room I have a 240cfm Panasonic WhisperLine fan to cool my 400w MH bulb and a 120cfm Panasonic WhisperLine fan exhausting both the carbon filter for this room and the 250w Sunburst fixture. The WhisperLine fans are virtually silent!! Highly recommended. Where as the 400cfm Hydrofarm centrifugal fan is LOUD especially blowing through that flex ducting. I am considering buying insulated ducting and wrapping the centrifugal fan with fiberglass insulation or something! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!?
.6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule? For clones, 24 hours of the bluish colored t5’s. For veg 18 hours on with a 250w and 400w MH. For flower, 12 hours on with two 1000w HPS. Most of my bulbs are the least expensive ones I can find new on Amazon.
.7) Specific brand and type of soil, (coco, peat based soilless...) and anything you've added to it. PRO-MIX HP MYCORRHIZAE (my first grow using this brand). Saw this stuff at the store and figured to give it a shot. I don’t pre-mix anything before potting but I probably should. I recently purchased some Espoma Garden Lime and Ironite Mineral Supplement 1-0-1 from HomeDepot. My run-off ph was at 5.8 last I checked. My plants appear to exhibiting some forms of deficiencies. I sprinkled both products onto the top of each pot and then drenched each pot until I saw run-off roughly 2 days ago. Any tips when growing with this type of medium?
I use to use fox farm happy frog, but for the price and quantity of the pro-mix I decided to give it a shot.
.8 Size of container. Clones in 1in. rockwool, from there into one quart sized containers, from there into 1 gallon square containers and lastly into 5 gallon buckets.
.9) Did you use peat pucks (or similar) to root clones or germinate seedlings? I used rookwool for the first time and presoaked the cuttings in Dip n’ Grow rooting hormone. I foliar sprayed with RO water for the first 5 days and then just kept the cubes wet. Within 12 days when I went to pot them, nearly every single cutting had roots showing. Best success yet!!
Your nutrients and water:
10) Source of water? For the most part tap with a ppm of 500 and ph of 7.5 :/ Occasionally I will go fill up my 5gallon jugs with RO water from those water machines outside of grocery stores. I was considering buying an RO system but can’t bare to get 1 gallon out of every 10 or so. I’m sure my plants would greatly appreciate it though. I purchased one of those Big Blue 20” filter housing and a 20 to 1 gradient micron filter that I have yet to install. I’m not to confident this will do anything to help my tap water.
11) Method of checking water ph. Hanna combo meter!!
12) Method of adjusting water ph. If I’m lazy I will water straight from the hose when water is required. I hope that adding the addition Hydrated lime the other day will help make any adjustments in the soil. Usually I use vinegar to bring plain water down but usually once nutrients is all mixed it is around 6.5 ph.
13) Specific brand and N-P-K ratio for each bottle. List dosages (quantity per gallon) and current feeding schedule. Botanicare (Pure Blend Grow, Liquid Karma, Silica Blast, Seaplex, Hydroplex, Pure Blend Original Bloom), Humboldt Nutrients (Deuce Deuce, Honey, and Ginormous). Heavy 16 (Bloom A&B and their Prime Additive).
14) How often are you watering between feedings, and how much per watering? Usually two to three times. I water/feed whenever I notice/feel that the weight of the container is feeling light, but never to the point to where the soil pulls away from the container.
15) Any additives or tea's? I rarely make tea’s but when I do I use Ancient Forests, molasses and seaplex.
16) Are your ph levels stable, or do they fluctuate? I don’t monitor the run-off frequently enough to answer this accurately.
17) What is your ingoing water's ph? ...your runoff ph? Tap 7.5, tap + vinegar = down to 6.6, and for nutrients solution the supplements bring it down without the vinegar.
18 Do you foliar feed? If so, with what, how often, and at what time do you spray? Rarely, but I would like to incorporate it into my schedule. I recently purchased neem oil by Dyna Grow to help prevent spider mites and powdery mildew.
19) Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
20) What size of closet, room or hut? Total size 10’x12’ (veg 5x10 and flower room 7’x10’)
21) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? ...With lights off? When on, low 80’s/ humidity 50%. When off, around 70 degrees/ humidity 60%.
22) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom? Just the occasional fungus gnat. Fortunately that’s all! Using yellow sticky traps helped catch any flyers. Have not seen any since. I also purchased one of those Hot Shot repellant strips on the exterior of the room. I spray with neem oil occasionally to help prevent any undesired infestations.
23) What strain are you growing? DJ Shorts Blueberry, Pure Kush, True OG (all of which I’ve grown twice before). I recently purchased several clones of Sour Kush, Madman OG, Oaksterdam OG, Abusive OG, Gods Gift, and Mandarin OG. I am trying to find which ones grow best for my setup.
24) From seeds or clones? Clones
25) Is this an autoflower strain? Not to my knowledge.
Last thought: In order to make disposal/ collection of water run-off more efficient I have created a dual 5 gallon bucket setup with the lower bucket using a bulkhead fitting with a 1/2” hose barb. All the bucket drain lines will feed into a central collection center that is further fed to a drain. Since the bulkhead fitting is in the side of the bucket and is fairly large it leaves about an inch of residual water in the lower collection bucket. Is that a concern leaving residual water sitting in the bottom on each collection bucket?
Did I forget to mention anything...
I have included some picture of several leaves showing signs of deficiency. Any ideas of what they might be?
Thanks in advance for any constructive insights/advice
Last edited by Burnt Toast; Oct-16-2012 at 18:45.
Reason: killed store link - Posting commercial/store links is prohibited in these forums, as per Board Rules..
here are some additional photos of several leaves showing some sort of deficiency. any ideas of what they might be?
P.S. this garden is operated by multiple growers who have legal documents from legitimate doctors permitting them to do so.
Last edited by piecemasta; Oct-16-2012 at 14:47.
Anyone who has any constructive input please feel free to chime in with your experiences. My goal is posting this information was to get constructive insight from experienced cannabis growers as a way to discover new techniques to improve the quality of medicine for this gardens patients.
Looking like a magnesium deficiency, at least the one with the rust spots. Some unsulfered molasses will help with that but be aware that it acts as a nutrient boost so best not to use in combination with regular feeding. Add it to a plain water round at 1 tp / gallon.
Very nice looking setup. I'm jealous!
i had plants that had that rust on them bought a bottle of cal/mag all good now
Here's some of my most recent pics of the garden.
I've been meaning to be more thorough with keeping this thread updated. I just repotted the next generation into several 2 gallon pots vegging under a 400w mh. I need to LST/train them before their few main shoots get too tall. I should be harvesting in a week or two so I can use the cages after I put my main ladies to rest and begin drying/curing. I also have changed the layout of my lights and bucket setup which I will also include in the coming photos.
been kind of busy lately but wanted to share some photo updates
winner! very tasty lookin!
Tags for this Thread