Thread: do i need to keep the fan on 24/7?

red662 is offline Banned

Cool do i need to keep the fan on 24/7?

reason im askin cause its gettin cooler especially in ireland, and keepin the fan on with the lights off @ night, wont it make it even colder and wont that b bad 4 the plants?
    peace
    p.s they r still only early in veg if thats any help...

MyMindIsGlowing is offline Registered+
    The plants function best in moderate temperatures - between 60 and 85 degrees. Temperatures below 50 degrees slow growth in most varieties of marijuana. When the temperature drops below 40 degrees, the plants may experience some damage and require about 24 hours to resume growth. Low nighttime temperatures may delay or prevent bud maturation. Some equatorial varieties stop growth after a few 40-degree nights.

A fan is not needed at night but does have a use, stronger stems. Some growers turn their fans off at night to allow the stems to heal but I know some growers who leave their fans on 24/7 without any problems. If your temperature does not drop below 64 or so, I wouldn't worry about it. Marijuana enjoys a 15-degree drop in temperature at night, according to some articles I have read.

A heater may be in your future if temperatures are an issue now.
    Last edited by MyMindIsGlowing; Aug-01-2005 at 08:21.

Marc Benson is offline Registered+
    A fan helps to make the plant stronger from the wind blowing over it. Also helps to keep the air circulating which is important to plants. They need fresh air. If you don't have a heat problem you could shut if off for periods of time each day with I would think no adverse effects.

My one question though would be why are you turning the lights off if they're in early veg when the large majority of 'experts' suggest 24/7 lighting is best?

red662 is offline Banned

Question

well i have started veg @ 18/6 which also seems 2 b up tere with the 24/7 method.
    i dont know which is better, what i do know is i have my timer set from 6am to 12 pm and between them 6 hours off dark the irish temp is droppin rapidly, although its very rainy so i suppose that cloud cover keeps the heat from droppin 2 far down.
    would it b a prob 2 stop the fan 4 them six hours off darkness ?
    and what bout the 18/6 24/7 dillemma which is better r r they both ok?

red662 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benson
    A fan helps to make the plant stronger from the wind blowing over it. Also helps to keep the air circulating which is important to plants. They need fresh air. If you don't have a heat problem you could shut if off for periods of time each day with I would think no adverse effects.

My one question though would be why are you turning the lights off if they're in early veg when the large majority of 'experts' suggest 24/7 lighting is best?
    do u think i should change 2 24/7 4 the early veg? in ur humble opion?

I think that is arguable, some experts also say that 16/8 allows the plants to rest. The only purpose that 24 hours of light serves is that the plant will grow faster and shorten the over all vegetative growth stage. 24 hours of light does not give the plant any resting time. The world works in perfect harmony and there are reasons for nighttime, IMO God gave all life nighttime so we can rest and recover. 24 hours of light is just rushing things and using more electricity then you need to,IMO

you don't need a fan on 24/7. Turn it off for 6 or 8 hours, it wont hurt anything if you are worried about it.

red662 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMindIsGlowing
    you don't need a fan on 24/7. Turn it off for 6 or 8 hours, it wont hurt anything if you are worried about it.
    i am worried because irish weather is very unpredictible, could b snowin tomorrow and a heatwave the nxt nightmare on the brain thinkin how to over come,im thinkin im gonna have 2 insulate and wack up some drywall in my grow room with the winter comin. and ill start knockin the fan off @ lights out cause nighttime is the worst i cant check 2 see how cold it is,im a lazy bastard and dont wanna b gettin up in the am every night 2 check weather conditions temp and all that so ill go with the fan off @ night time.
    ill take a few pics off the veg stage set up and see what u think. the grow room is very large so iv made movable walls with mylar on so i can adjust as needed(as the plants get bigger i can redirect as needed)
    things look grand and if anythin they look as they should,(touch wood)ill take a few pics when i check in later c what yall thin off the progress.

A small bathroom heater will allow you to keep your grow room temperature from ever falling below your desired setting, "60 degrees" keeping you from getting up in the middle of the night and worrying if your plants are freezing. J The heater will not stay on if the temperature goes above your desired temperature setting. "Built-in thermostat"
    Last edited by MyMindIsGlowing; Aug-01-2005 at 09:03.

By the way, it's the 1st of August. You are having cold weather issues?

Never been to Ireland except for a stop on the way back from Iraq but we couldn't leave the airport.
    Get out and vote campaign? We vote in 11 states to legalize Medical Marijuana only to have our dictators SPIT in our face. Democracy in America is only a word so that we look good to the world until the day comes that America Governs the world with an Iron Fist!

red662 is offline Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MyMindIsGlowing
    By the way, it's the 1st of August. You are having cold weather issues?

Never been to Ireland except for a stop on the way back from Iraq but we couldn't leave the airport.
    we have weather probs all year round lol, sieriously mid summer could b feelin like mid winter and the rain,jesus lovely place shit weather and so unpredictible, it was cold and rainin this morn now the sun is out tonght it will b round 10-15 cel so its up and down, i might think about some heater r somethin along them lines....

red662 is offline Banned
    havin said all that usually our weather picks up this month weather rain r sun its still very warm toward the mid 2 end off the month and early sept, first 2 weeks, so its really aft that period im gonna have big probs. its a shed cinderblokes, corrugated iron roof and the window is boarded ovr with 1inch plyboard. so theres no insulation and the size is @ least 10 feet long 6 foot high and 6 wide, iv sectioned off my grow area down 2 1 1/2 meter long.with no insulation ill need 2 look at other ideas a convection heater?.

So many people have been super successful with 24/0 light that it's hard to argue that it doesn't work. But I've never seen a comparison between the growth of 18/6 and 24/0 so hard to say for sure.

Also if you're worried about the temp dropping too low, then the lights being on all the time is going to generate some heat which in turn will keep it warmer in the room than if they're off. Just a thought.

9ski9 is offline Registered+
    I'm using 18/6 for this grow. I used 24/0 for my first, but am going with Harddon's suggestion. Stress can cause a plant to become male. Not getting any break from light can stress plants. If there's even a fair chance that it's true, then I'm sure not risking two months of growing.

It just seems to make sense to reduce every possible risk of them growing balls.

9ski9,

So did you get all males when you used 24/0? I did but it was only two plants. So it might have been just the odds weren't in my favor.

9ski9,

So did you get all males when you used 24/0? I did but it was only two plants. So it might have been just the odds weren't in my favor.
    10 plants gave me five females when I did 24/0. I have 12 plants in my second grow and sure would like to have eight females this time. I'm shooting for one pound.

Keep us informed! Like to know the outcome. How far along are they?

Keep us informed! Like to know the outcome. How far along are they?
    Sorry for the hijack, red...

My best girl can be followed here:

Hardonna update...

Born 7/21/05, I'm doing weekly updates and she's 5x the size she was three days ago. I managed a little over an ounce from my first grow...this will be 1 pound.

red662 is offline Banned

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 9ski9
    Sorry for the hijack, red...

My best girl can be followed here:

Hardonna update...

Born 7/21/05, I'm doing weekly updates and she's 5x the size she was three days ago. I managed a little over an ounce from my first grow...this will be 1 pound.
    right thats it ur banned 4 highjackin my thread lol.
    peace