Thread: how far should 1000 watt light be from.. planst in flowerinhg stage

loud is offline Registered+

how far should 1000 watt light be from.. planst in flowerinhg stage

okay im in floweriing stage about 5 days into ;it they look good i got it about 10 inches from tallest on 1000 watt hps bulb they looking nice and green is this too close ive had my had there for a FEW MINUTES DIDNT GET VERY HOT???
    [img=http://www.maryjanesgarden.com/images/bubble_gum_marijuana.jpg]

dankness42o is offline Registered
    i wouldnt use a hps light but thats me too hot but i would back it up alittle more you dont want to burn up your babies

HPS for flowering am i correct.. than why wouldnt u use HPS'?

Marc Benson is offline Registered+
    Probably 99% of the people that have been doing this (indoor) for awhile use hps for flowering. Reason? It's the best at this point in time. Use it and the closer you can get it without it burning your plants the better.

Zandor is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by loud
    HPS for flowering am i correct.. than why wouldnt u use HPS'?
    You are correct HPS is for flowering. You can also veg with HPS if you have one of the enhanced spectrum bulbs like Hortilux.

You can get the light as close as NOT to burn your plants. Use a good indoor/outdoor thermometer and monitor the temperature at the top of the canopy. That will tell you how close you can get your 1000w light.

Good is 16-18" from the top and normal is more like 18-24"
    Peace
    Zandor

If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Zandor
    You are correct HPS is for flowering. You can also veg with HPS if you have one of the enhanced spectrum bulbs like Hortilux.

You can get the light as close as NOT to burn your plants. Use a good indoor/outdoor thermometer and monitor the temperature at the top of the canopy. That will tell you how close you can get your 1000w light.

Good is 16-18" from the top and normal is more like 18-24"

okay thANK YOU... been 5 days into flowering and we looking great thanks a bunch and the temp at the topof plants is.. 72 deegrees....

Quote Originally Posted by loud
    okay thANK YOU... been 5 days into flowering and we looking great thanks a bunch and the temp at the topof plants is.. 72 deegrees....
    Perfect temperature.

What is your 24 hour swing like then?
    Peace
    Zandor

Quote Originally Posted by Zandor

What is your 24 hour swing like then?

what u mean?

latewood is offline Banned
    wow that is great temps...mine were pretty good, but my AC unit is on the Fritz...
    I fighti9n' high eighties, but I've got the fansss going. Just watch them with that 1000w hps! Great light, but if you get it too close and don't watch them, brother, you will get in trouble fast...Use this as a rule of thumb; When you get comfortable and you think you got it just right, go check them. just kidding, not really though.
    have a good grow and good luck...

The swing is the High and the Low temperature over a 24 hour period.
    Peace
    Zandor

mikeandjenherbals is offline Registered+
    if your light is at 10 inches above plants they will not stretch much if at all, i usually have 1000 wt hortilux 5ft10 to 6 ft off the ground, on veg cycle you can really see the difference it makes, lite closer ,the structure of the plant will be compact, then raise your lite a foot and watch where the next node comes in, ive posted a few pics in adv. tech. forum, dont burn them till its in a paper

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandjenherbals
    if your light is at 10 inches above plants they will not stretch much if at all, i usually have 1000 wt hortilux 5ft10 to 6 ft off the ground, on veg cycle you can really see the difference it makes, lite closer ,the structure of the plant will be compact, then raise your lite a foot and watch where the next node comes in, ive posted a few pics in adv. tech. forum, dont burn them till its in a paper
    At 6 feet away you are giving up all your lumens dude. FYI

Lumens is a mathematical formula that measures the bulbs intensity at 1 foot. The color or type of bulb is not calculated in the formula I=L/Dē
    Lumens received are a measured in watts-per-square foot or foot-candles. Calculating foot-candles or lux is a more accurate way to estimate the amount of light plants receive. This still only measures how much light you plants have available but not how much your plants use.
    Light diminishes exponentially fast!
    The closer your plants are to the light the more lumens they receive the better they will grow, as long as the heat from the light does not burn the foliage.
    Peace
    Zandor