Cannabis.com

Thread: green light

amstron is offline Registered+

green light

could someone give me a scientific reason why green light effects plants during dark hours of flowering, as the plant cannot photosynthesise under this spectrum. This is just a matter of interest as the rule of thumb is no light during flowering, even green light. But if photosynthesis doesn't occur under green light then how can it effect the plant?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Atom Bong is offline Registered+
    Its still hitting the plant with A spectrum of light which is throwing it off, this is just an educated guess....

mountainman is offline Registered+
    I've had a similar question. Been wondering if there is a spectrum of light that won't throw the plants off. It'd make things easier, but I don't really wanna experiment unless I'm sure ;-)

Powder Puff is offline Registered+
    There is some green spectrum light that won't effect the photosytesis.. I'm just not sure wich one it is.. lol
    Peace

I don't grow cannabis, or condone to the growing of anything illegal.. The pictures I post here are pictures I've found on the internet. Don't take anything I say about growing seriously, because It's purly fictional.

...After all, you do catch more flies with a bucket of crap than with a teaspoon of honey!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobBong
    I'm Bob's liar..i mean.. lawyer...
    Quote Originally Posted by wainui420 - In chat
    i tried unsuccessful to grow indoor

i had a false fire alarm go off and the fire brigade went thro house whil i was out

GrowinGreen23 is offline Registered+
    when you see a green light it's all giving off the green color in the spectrum, green chlorophyl is used to attract all the other pigments except green

this is what i think
    What I am saying is purely fictional. Please be clear that I do not condone people breaking the law! I do not grow anything I say I do and any pictures posted are found on the internet only. Thank You!

karmaxul is offline Banned
    Plants use yellow light and blue light. Mix the two together and get green.

a pure green wavelength at 562 Nanometers should not effect growth.

The sun produces 58.3% yellow light
    36.3% blue light
    and 5.3% red light

Average them out and get almost green to are eyes but no green wavelenghts. Green is the balance or middle of the rainbow.

5.3% x 723.18(red nm) = 38.32
    36.3% x 508.7(blue nm) = 184.6
    58.3% x 616.0(yellow nm) = 359.1
    .....................................______

582.1 Nm = 5153.6 K (3,000,000/Nm(582.1 in pure light spectrum)=K(5153.6))
    Also the suns degree K

Hope this helps

busteruk7 is offline Registered+
    i have read that green light does nothing to plants but are not sure if it will throw the plant off balance in the dark cycle
    why would you want a light in the dark cycle anyway?
    if its to mess about with them doing what eva the only light that does not affect a plant is uv light (black light)
    hope this helps
    growing in my house attic with a 200w envirolite and a 600w hps( out of site out of mind)
    my white rhino log-----------------my lowryder log-----------------my cali orange grow
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time.

snow owl is offline Registered+
    A green bulb in the grow room for emergencies during dark period, but accessing grow room will risk other spectrum light penetrating upon entry. Better off doing everything when lights are on and not concerning yourself with the green light theory.

BlueDragonSmoke is offline Registered+
    so a 55k bulb is close to the suns spectrum?

Bluefunk is offline Registered+
    Green light does nothing to plants - Plants absorb light through chlorophyll, chlorophyll appears green IE green light is reflected back at you and the other wavelengths are absorbed! However, plants do possess other photosynthetic pigments other than chlorophyll which could absorb in the green spectrum easily.

Bluefunk is offline Registered+
    Also karmaxul that percentage doesnt account for the non-visible spectrum.. please quote your source.

FERMENTATION is offline Registered+
    Karmaxul: Where did you get those figures? They don't jive with any of the research a few of us have been doing for a few LED grows that are starting up over the next year. We are looking at 640-660nm and 430-470nm this is essentially red and blue. There will be other wavelengths involved but that is about it for the visible spectrum. The central part of the (human) visible spectrum is the least sensitive to plants (green and yellow.) Mind you I know that not all plants are the same and some are more sensitive to other colors, but we are talking about cannabis.

I could be wrong but I don't think so. I have been researching this specifically for a few months now. If you can point me to some resource material that contradicts what I'm saying, please do.

amstron: unless you are using a light with a very "tight" nanometer range like an LED your light will bleed into other wavelengths. Incandescent bulbs are no good for plant night-lights.

FERMENT. Now, damnit.

karmaxul is offline Banned
    They are codes I wrote, sorry I am the source

The nonvisible spectrum can be converted into what it would be in the visible spectrum with codesand directly coincides with the visible at certain color ranges. For instance UV-B produces growth and if converted to where it would be on the pure light spectrum for our gravity it would be around 5150K which is the sun.

amstron is offline Registered+
    thanks, just to get it straight, im not planning on using a green light as im pretty happy not going into my grow room during dark hours, it was just a matter of interest

Zandor is offline Registered+
    I have 25w true green bulb lights in all my flower rooms. They have no affect on the plants what so ever. I don't go into my flower room with the light on I run COČ and can't. I can only do my plant maintenance in the dark period. For me it's been this way for many years.

A green filter is not correct it must be a true green bulb.

The plant will not see the color green.
    Peace
    Zandor

If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

alchemiser is offline Registered+
    Green light's quite safe to use on the girls at night
    PLEASE please please make sure it is a green light emitter not just a geen filter over a bulb!

BukDatAss is offline Registered+
    WoW thats good to know
    Ambience have a seance in the garden of Eve
    I'm a God, a gardener, a guardian of trees -Canibus

ShastaCoMan is offline Banned
    ive used green lights in my flowering rooms for years, and have never had any ill effects from them whatsoever on the plants. the way i see it, alot more knowlegable people than me (such as jeorge) say its OK, so as far as im concerned its OK. people like jeorge cervantes have been doing this ALOT longer than probably any two of us put together, and doing it all over the world, doing the research and KNOW whats what, so why would you even think about "second guessing" them?

if your worried about it, get yourself 1 25w party bulb and use it for emergencies only

thepaan is offline Registered+
    Photosynthesis doesn't cease under pure green light - the rate is simply extremely slow. Additionally, there are literally hundereds of known accessory pigments in plants which have no known function other than support as antennas. This study which I read recently shows that a species of green algae responds well to green and red light (around 520 and 660 nm respectively) for resetting the circadian clock (the perception of day and night periods). So, while I believe a green light will have little if any noticeable effect on your cannabis, I believe that any light will have some effect.

bioguy is offline Registered+

Green LED on environmental controler

I have an evc-2 greenhouse controller and it has 8 green LED lights. I am worried they will effect my plants but it sounds like they won't (according to Zandor). Am I safe?