Thread: Easy Homemade Hydroponic System

postmandave is offline Registered+

Easy Homemade Hydroponic System

heres another D.I.Y project , might be of use to some one,ythe postman

Things you need (Pictures are in order)

1. Rubbermaid Tub (I use a 20 Gallon)
    2. 2-3 Fish Air stones
    3. Air Pump
    4. Black Air Hoses (the one in the pic is clear but try and get black)
    5. Net Pots
    6. Growing Medium
    7. This is what your final product should look like.

1. What you need to do is cut holes in the lid of the Rubbermaid container to fit your net pots in.
    2. Then run the air hose from the air pump into the bottom of the Rubbermaid container and plug them into the air stones.
    3. To check to see if your air stones are producing enough Oxygen fill the container up with water. Then put the lid on and start the pump. Come back in a few minutes and see if water has splashed through the holes and collected water on the top of the lid.more in next post, the postman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-rubbermaid-container.jpg   Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-airstones.jpg   Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-air-pump.jpg  

Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-air-hoses.jpg   Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-net-pots-1-.bmp  
    i appoligise before hand about my spelling and grammar and for the inconsistincy of my posts but when the pain gets bad the morphine comes out and the confusion starts

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Hydroponics making complete
    Here are the other two pics. Growing medium and the final product, the postman.
    i dont use rockwool i spread the rootball over one layer of hydrotron. it workng so well for me but yes you can drop the rockwool cube in as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-growing-medium.jpg   Easy Homemade Hydroponic System-final-product.jpg  
    i appoligise before hand about my spelling and grammar and for the inconsistincy of my posts but when the pain gets bad the morphine comes out and the confusion starts

latewood is offline Banned
    why use promix? you don't need it. since you have to nute, hydroton alone would be less expensive, but just as efficient.

I love pro-mix, but I would use it in container plantings.

Nice job on the DWC set-up. jmho, lw

hydroton would have been first choice but ,he used what was lying around but yes latewood , hydroton,would be better, the postman

mobay is offline Registered+
    man watch out for that hydro, it aint nothing to be played with, when you start you wont be able to stop.

but i was taught by a good mate from a far of land that is a master with hydro,he taught me enough to help this dude put this together, cant remember the dudes name , rick summit, funny guy ,lol. the postman.

you got it right...you just won't be satisfied...it's addictive...

Punani Jack is offline Registered
    Can someone please elaborate a little more about this grow method please?

It seems simple enough. I have a feeling though that I am missing something. Are you using the airstones to oxyginate the water or for the purpose of making bubbles so water splashes on the roots or "pot" of the plant? In the case of the latter then surely you must neede quite a powerfull air pump to create enough water agitation. Well it must be powerfull compared to my aquarium air pumps anyway...

I think this is the route I may take with my grow. So any additional info would be great. And Im dropping around $500 on ligting so I am serious!

BlueDragonSmoke is offline Registered+
    This is the method I use...but I use 2 $30 air pumps for a fish tank with 2 air stones connected to each pump.....it is to splash on net pots and cause humidity under lid for root system....but in my method I didnt use net pots ....im poor in all so I used disposable plastic cups and I put 6 cups together and drilled holes in all at one time...lol and I didnt use Hydroton either...member i am poor...lol I used lava rock 20lb $2.49..bring them home smack the bag with a hammer a few times cause I thought they was a little big...lol and wash them ...no soap ...test the water you r using then soak the lava rock in the same water over night and test ph again to see if the rosks you got are ph nuteral... any way this is about the cheapest way to grow and it REALLY works well....I do 4-6 plants every time I grow depending on the good clones I have and no problems ... or even with that set up add a little water pump and some drippers on a timer and you have best of both worlds ....(drip/bubble) WOW watch them grow...lol hope this helped some

dion is offline Registered+
    folks like me really appreciate threads like this... thank you PMD that seems like an affordable and effective manner of growing.

bluedragonsmoke, cool deal letting other grow mediums be thrown out there.

I haven't really figured out about how much this whole setup costs to build, but i know i can do independant research to figure it out.

thanks again for all the help spelling it out for those of us who cant spell
    (and in translation that means for those of us who have no idea what in the fuck is going on with hydroponics)

thanks
    Dion

Quote Originally Posted by Punani Jack
    Can someone please elaborate a little more about this grow method please?

It seems simple enough. I have a feeling though that I am missing something. Are you using the airstones to oxyginate the water or for the purpose of making bubbles so water splashes on the roots or "pot" of the plant? In the case of the latter then surely you must neede quite a powerfull air pump to create enough water agitation. Well it must be powerfull compared to my aquarium air pumps anyway...

I think this is the route I may take with my grow. So any additional info would be great. And Im dropping around $500 on ligting so I am serious!
    a standard aquarium pump is all you need for a 5 gallon bucket or a 8-10 gallon tub.
    If you go with a big, let's say 33 gallon tub you will need a double airpump with 2 airstones instead of 1...Some dwc growers will use a dbl airpump with 2 t's, and put 4 of the .88 airstones in bottom...I have also seen where a guy at OG used 4-4" airstones off a dbl pump with 2 t's, his results were fantastic.

I started and still grow with this method, among others...last go 'round I grew a nice sexy orange skunk tree that provided me with 6-7 ounces after drying...good luck
    Last edited by latewood; Apr-09-2006 at 11:01.

6-7 oz ? lol What you do lose a oz and you still looking ...lol...=))

Zandor is offline Registered+
    Support the underside of the rubbermaid tub it will cave in after a short amount of time. You can build a frame with PVC to support it and that would help. fyi.
    Peace
    Zandor

If you go cheap you grow cheap. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonSmoke
    This is the method I use...but I use 2 $30 air pumps for a fish tank with 2 air stones connected to each pump.....it is to splash on net pots and cause humidity under lid for root system....but in my method I didnt use net pots ....im poor in all so I used disposable plastic cups and I put 6 cups together and drilled holes in all at one time...lol and I didnt use Hydroton either...member i am poor...lol I used lava rock 20lb $2.49..bring them home smack the bag with a hammer a few times cause I thought they was a little big...lol and wash them ...no soap ...test the water you r using then soak the lava rock in the same water over night and test ph again to see if the rosks you got are ph nuteral... any way this is about the cheapest way to grow and it REALLY works well....I do 4-6 plants every time I grow depending on the good clones I have and no problems ... or even with that set up add a little water pump and some drippers on a timer and you have best of both worlds ....(drip/bubble) WOW watch them grow...lol hope this helped some
    this is a great method.
    I do this also...as far as the lava rocks, great stuff. and suggesting breaking them up is good advice.

another note on cheap rock grow medium...pea gravel was the 1st, hydro grow medium and is still used in certain areas, today. You can use any Inert rock/substance, Including a variety of 5-6 at wally's.
    the difference is, some are heavier than others and harder for the roots to move, but they work...Other choice such as lava rock are lighter and retain more moisture.

that is why the market of large perlite, hydroton, coco*, and others is growing, with new products all the time.
    * I learned something new yesterday. coco is treated like soil; In respect to nutrients and PH...didn't know that. lw

turtle420 is offline Banned
    I've got to ask...

POSTMANDAVE:
    How the heck do you make your pictures so "perfect"??

They have the white background... nothing around them... Jesus! It's like a catalogue or something!

Nice work buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonSmoke
    6-7 oz ? lol What you do lose a oz and you still looking ...lol...=))
    very funny. The reason for the variance is, because I don't really ever weigh everything(don't care) and I smoked a shitload 2-3 ounces I estimate...For some reason I had cause to weigh 1/4lb??? LOL

Turtle. White mylar on a cloning table. I wish it was me that took them but it was some dude that does pics for a living. the flash on the cam reflects of the mylar and then he messes about with them on his computer and they come out like that. Cool though innit. Wait to you see the ones that I'm putting on ebay for me and mobay grow boxes and clone boxes. They will be real pro. We have both decided to try and beat all these rip of grow boxes by making boxes with superior products fitted and at affordable prices .Yeah we will be doing it to make money but not to rip people off like most of these grow box suppliers do .The Postman.
    Last edited by postmandave; Apr-09-2006 at 16:45.

Everything is high now days ....it sucks....plus your plants wont know a difference what you use ....lol

seattle420 is offline Banned
    this is a great hydro sytem it uses the space perfectly!

busteruk7 is offline Registered+
    nice thred postman
    you come up with some really good ideas i think i will be attempting this one someday as i have always wanted to do hydro
    cheers postman
    growing in my house attic with a 200w envirolite and a 600w hps( out of site out of mind)
    my white rhino log-----------------my lowryder log-----------------my cali orange grow
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time.

wildchick is offline Registered+

POSTMAN DAVE???????????

This is the same system we have put together from another site we seen, we would love to talk to you about how you went about your grow with this unit and the steps and amount of water vs nukes and lighting that it took u to use it correctly to grow, this is our first attempt and have became addicted already , just need a little advice from a user of this type system?? Is there anyway we can e-mail you and trade info. for us two crazy chicks in need of info.

Jamie

Any time. Sorry but i have been away for a while but im back now and it would be a pleasure to help you out give me a shout . postmanpat@ and we can have a chat.the postman.

wildchick is offline Registered+

Need light advice on this type of setup

We was going to start out with two of these setup's and put 5 plants in each setup and was needing to know if a dual 400 watt mh/hps setup system would be enough for two of these setup's sat side by side??

Jamie

bongerstonerd00d is offline Registered+

Lighting

Before you buy 2 400 watters, why not one 1000 watt HPS? You get basically a 400 watt light for 200 more watts and almost triple the lumens. 400 watt = 55K lumens, 1000 watt = 145K lumens. Lumens = big budz. By the way, nice efficent setup, Postman. I am going to construct two fo those for moms, and I had already thought of the PVC inner frame before Zandor mentioned here. Should you want to build one, here is the a link that has all the fittings you will need.
    http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-suppliers.htm

They got all kinds of kewl fittings for us to play with.

b0nger
    If you cannot smoke it or eat it, why grow it ?

Wow ... I'm considering this for my next grow now ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast