Cannabis.com

Thread: 400w HPS vs. 600w

Backpacker420 is offline Registered+

Lightbulb 400w HPS vs. 600w

If I'm gonna have a grow room approx. 4W x 4L x 6H, and perhaps 2-4 plants, would a 400w or 600w HPS be better?

I don't wanna buy a 400w and then always be wondering if I should have gotten the 600w...
    Tune in, turn on and drop out

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Twentyinches is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker420 View Post
    I don't wanna buy a 400w and then always be wondering if I should have gotten the 600w...
    imo I would go with the 600. someone might say the 400, which in the end you will be wondering if you got the right one like you said. Sooo...
    Last edited by Twentyinches; Feb-13-2008 at 21:08.
    All posts and pictures by Twentyinches are totally fictional and have been derived from magazines and publications on the web.
    -you know ur going through a dry spell when ur smokin goo-
    *stoners get the munchies- drunks get the punchies*
    ...do i seem alright to you?

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    A 1000W HID would be perfect for that size room, as long as you can keep things well ventilated and cool. But if you're leaning between the 400 and the 600, I'd go with the 600 too. That's like an extra 15,000 lumens or so, and the plants will take as much light as they can get. Remember to spend about as much on ventilation as you would on your light, which will alleviate a lot of problems right off the bat. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

What would be the price difference per month between a 600w and 1000w HPS?

What would be the price difference per month between a 600w and 1000w HPS?
    It's impossible for me to generalize cost with any accuracy because I don't know what you're paying per kilowatt hour. The amount used will also fluctuate when you cut back from a 24/0 or 18/6 photoperiod to a 12/12. And, on top of all that, you have the option of going with an energy efficient digital ballast, which has been getting all sorts of raves because of how much power they're supposed to save over the standard core/coil magnetic style ballasts. The magnetic ballast aren't as efficient as their digital counterparts, and many actually pull more power than the bulb is giving off. Digital is much more efficient, and saves you money on your electric bill.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. There's not going to be too much of an increase between the 600 and the 1000, but if you've never grown with HIDs before, it may seem pretty significant. For a 1000W standard magnetic system, look to spend anywhere from $5-15 extra per week on your power bill... which, again, may be higher or lower depending on where you live.
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

keeko is offline Registered+
    If I'm gonna have a grow room approx. 4W x 4L x 6H, and perhaps 2-4 plants, would a 400w or 600w HPS be better?

lights are one thing but ventilation is another.........a 600 will work but only if you have the needed ventilation.

Mr. C. I like how you said 'sorry i couldnt be more help'.....to me that was so much more help than he asked....rep for ya
    " knowledge is not power, knowledge is potential power"

"those who follow the herd step in SHIT"

keeko is offline Registered+
    sorry mr. cland. i must spead more rep before giving it to you.....next time
    " knowledge is not power, knowledge is potential power"

"those who follow the herd step in SHIT"

Quote Originally Posted by keeko View Post
    sorry mr. cland. i must spead more rep before giving it to you.....next time
    No problem at all Keeko, I appreciate the gesture.

OK well I definitely appreciate your input Mr. Clandestine but I think for practicality I will stick with the 600w for now. But as I become more experienced and have a larger 'crop' then I will look into selling my 600w and investing in a 1000w.

OK well I definitely appreciate your input Mr. Clandestine but I think for practicality I will stick with the 600w for now. But as I become more experienced and have a larger 'crop' then I will look into selling my 600w and investing in a 1000w.
    Understandable, my friend. You'll still be able to grow some killer crops with the 600W system. I hope you don't think I was trying to downplay its effectiveness. Just remember to be mindful of your temps and you should get some amazing results! Best of luck to ya.

Twentyinches is offline Registered+
    who says you have to sell the 600 to get a 1000k? some ppl would rather have 2 600's then a single 1000. you can cover the area a little bit better, just add to it!?

If you get a switchable ballast then you can use it for vege or flower. (i say switchable because those damn conversion bulbs cost an arm)
    Last edited by Twentyinches; Feb-14-2008 at 16:36.
    All posts and pictures by Twentyinches are totally fictional and have been derived from magazines and publications on the web.
    -you know ur going through a dry spell when ur smokin goo-
    *stoners get the munchies- drunks get the punchies*
    ...do i seem alright to you?

Forwhat420 is offline Registered+
    How much off of a 600 watt sog? If environment dialed in how many would you do?
    YEA

brussels is offline Registered+
    When using HID's, I always attempt to have 50watt per sqft. <Optimal lighting in every grow publication I've read> Your 16 sq. ft in that case could certainly use 800w. Two 400w lights cost almost as much as one 600w. The 600's are disproportionately expensive for some reason.

I've always liked the 400w lights as you can hang them somewhat closer to your plant canopy, getting the most out of your lighting. Light deminishes very quickly, and every inch helps.

Is it nessary to follow a 50w/sqft rule? No. If going with less light will you have optimal growth and yield? No. It's a lession I've learned with somewhat disappointing yields in the past...B

Revanche21 is offline Registered+
    just want to remind you that the 600 watt HPS is the most efficient HPS vs the 150, 250, 400, 1000

hatch is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by brussels View Post
    When using HID's, I always attempt to have 50watt per sqft. <Optimal lighting in every grow publication I've read> Your 16 sq. ft in that case could certainly use 800w. Two 400w lights cost almost as much as one 600w. The 600's are disproportionately expensive for some reason.

I've always liked the 400w lights as you can hang them somewhat closer to your plant canopy, getting the most out of your lighting. Light deminishes very quickly, and every inch helps.

Is it nessary to follow a 50w/sqft rule? No. If going with less light will you have optimal growth and yield? No. It's a lession I've learned with somewhat disappointing yields in the past...B
    Just My 2 Cent's.~~~~But I would agree with this set-up. I run 1000w. HID,Those Bitches, Yes They throw awesome lum's, Along with Alot of Heat!!!!!~~~~~~I have to move alot of air just to keep the Grow Room's in the mid-80's, I also use light mover, Sometime's in the middle of Summer, when it 100+ outside, I wish I had A Bunch of 400w.

Good Luck on your decision!!!!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/hydroponi...tch-style.html If You want to see My Aeroponic's System.

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...tch-style.html If You want to see some Bad Ass Trich. Shot's.

http://boards.cannabis.com/closet-ca...tch-style.htmlIf You want to see My Grow Chamber's.

http://boards.cannabis.com/153927-da...-08-hatch.htmlMy Latest Grow.

gbf4ever is offline Registered+
    I'd go with the 600w over the 400 or the 1000. 600w will be sufficient lighting for a few grows, and you can always add another 600w when you can afford it/decide you need it. I use 600 watters, and with an aircooled hood with a decent exhaust fan I don't have problems controlling heat. With my hoods around 8" from the canopy temps at the canopy are at a very comfortable 78-79 degrees.
    Last edited by gbf4ever; Jun-09-2008 at 00:22.

oliwog is offline Registered+
    id jus go with the 600 watt its nearly twice the lumens for only 200 more watts they have the highest output per wattage when compared to 400watt or 1000watt hps
    if your grow area is small the get yaself a good extraction fan i had a rvk100 the smaller cheaper version (175m3) in a realtively small area and it worked fine, i did have the same for intake to though.

the 400 watt does produce less heat and it is noticeable differance so if you cant use an extraction fan the stick with the 400 as you may get some slight heat probs
    high everyone!!

Narf! is offline Registered+
    I have a 150 a 250 a 400 and a 600w thats digital. No use for the 250 or 400 now. Go a size bigger at least. the 600 is sweet. The 150 will veg 4 plants in 5gal buckets, nicely. Gonna try to push 6 girls under the 600 for a good yield.

JeffersonBud is offline Registered+
    600 bump
    "Religion is the opiate of the people" - Karl Marx

I would go with two 400w lights. (actually, that's exactly what I've got) Perfect for 12 - 3 gallon pots, or 8 - 5 gallon.

With two lights, you have more flexibility than a single source of light. If it gets too hot on summer days, can stagger the timers. (first one on for 6 hours, second one on the following 6 hours)
    In case of mechanical or bulb failure, you still have one working light so photoperiod doesn't get messed-up waiting for the UPS guy to deliver your replacement bulb.
    If 1/2 the plants are sativa, and the other half indica, you have the flexibility to handle the difference in height without having to stack phone books and cinder blocks. (if the lights are on a chain or otherwise adjustable)

Having at least two points of light, rocks.