Thread: "side" lighting

kshchrn831 is offline Registered+

"side" lighting

Hello! I just want to ask,
    - is it important that the sides of the plants get alot of light as well as the top?

I have heard that just a light above the plants is all they need, but I have also heard, the more light the better.

I am wanting to grow in a enclosed box, and during veg I want to put T5 2ft x4 bulbs on top and along the sides of the box, a couple of 4footers going vertical on the sides to keep the entire side of the plant lit up.

Would this be worth it or a waste of time/money? Thanks!

DaMasterKush is offline Registered
    I just tried this myself.... I had a few Shop lights left over from a different set up... I set them up on the sides standing vertically..... I'll report any findings when I see them.

kshchrn831 is offline Registered+
    sweet! if you have grown before, maybe you will be able to notice a diffence from comparing.

FlyGuyOU is offline Registered+
    side lighting can and does help. it provides light to the branches under the main canopy, allowing them to maximize their potential. this is one reason why vertical lighting helps with bigger yields.
    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson

http://boards.cannabis.com/hydroponi...rst-hydro.html

Redheads
    not warheads, blondes not bombs, we're talking about brunettes not fighter jets! When will the governments realize its got to be funky sexy ladies?

hanayama is offline Registered+
    ditto to flyguys comment

think about it, in nature, the sun hits the plant at different points throughout the day.

itll make them nice and full and bushy, instead of just growing straight up.

i did it last grow and it definatly seemed to help.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-gr...ow-around.html
    "Second Grow Around"
    http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-gr...vest-time.html
    Harvest Time!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" ~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    "Growing weed...it's purpose driven."

Mississippi Steve is offline Registered+
    check out what I use... it worked for some plants that were over 6' tall trees.
    Mississippi Steve's first total indoor grow
    READ MY LIPS!!!
    WEED, SCHOOLS AND/OR CARS DON'T MIX!!!

Don't put yourself in a position where somebody has to *DO* something about it in the first place!!

Pacifism is a luxury paid for by warriors.

http://boards.cannabis.com/cannabis-...c-blue-f2.html

MonkeyBone is offline Registered+
    I'll even use some cfls on the floor pointing up besides of having some on the sides and the top...360 degrees lights!

XmaxxX is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBone View Post
    I'll even use some cfls on the floor pointing up besides of having some on the sides and the top...360 degrees lights!
    CFLS on the floor pointing up is a waste of money/time since the leaves absorb light only through the side that is facing up.

FlyGuyOU is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaxxX View Post
    CFLS on the floor pointing up is a waste of money/time since the leaves absorb light only through the side that is facing up.

Not true. Plants absorb light any and everywhere they are green. all be it with different efficiencies
    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson

http://boards.cannabis.com/hydroponi...rst-hydro.html

Redheads
    not warheads, blondes not bombs, we're talking about brunettes not fighter jets! When will the governments realize its got to be funky sexy ladies?

MonkeyBone is offline Registered+
    IT DOES help A LOT!

Top lights can't get to these lower branches but side lights do!

But now they're aren't on the floor anymore, they are suspended like my top lights but they are lower, same level as the lower branches!
    Everything said or shown here by me are pure dream material. Yes. It is only a dream in which I participate. You can do anything you want in a dream, except for dreaming about something in a dream, then you're lost and can't find your way back. Back to where?

JaySin is offline Registered+
    Glad I found this thread. I planned on putting T12s on the sides of my closet for better complete lighting, so now I definitely will. I'd imagine it will help a lot because of how close the plants will be to the wall, preventing even more or the light from the top from getting down to the lower branches.
    Any law against what I do on this forum would be impeding on my right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness. So unfortunately, I'm forced to play the role of a cannabis grower instead of actually participate in the hobby. (All pictures are pulled from the internet and knowledge is only portrayed as personal experience without ever having any actual experience)