Cannabis.com



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Does flowering under CFLs take longer?

  1. #1
    Man1fesT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-17-2008
    Posts
    23

    Does flowering under CFLs take longer?

    I am 7 weeks into flowering using CFLs and this strain is supposed to take 6-8 weeks, however the ladies don't appear (to the naked eye) to be anywhere near being done.

    I am wondering, does it takes longer for the flower phase to complete under CFLs than it does under an HPS or the Sun?
    Does the estimated "6-8" week flowering account for any usable type of light? Or a specific light?

    Thanks.

  2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds


    Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds


    Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

     

    Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

    Medical Marijuana Directory


  3. #2
    Man1fesT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-17-2008
    Posts
    23
    ...Anyone?

  4. #3
    spfcm17 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    May-18-2009
    Posts
    14
    I am also curious to see the answer to this question, as I haven't noticed (I could be blind) any threads that tell you to switch lighting, or that any lighting is necessarily better than others.

  5. #4
    crabbyback's Avatar
    crabbyback is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-05-2008
    Posts
    259

    pictures would help

    I don't use CFLs myself, but I don't remember reading that things take longer to finish under them.

    There are numerous things that could make your plants go longer than you think they should. And, even in stable genetics, individual plants are just that, individuals.

    So, maybe if you posted a picture and some information about the plant(s), someone could make a diagnosis?
    cb
    If you don't run, you rust. - Tom Petty
    “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need”, a scheme to enslave the able to the unable. - Ayn Rand

  6. #5
    Italiano715's Avatar
    Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-25-2008
    Posts
    1,271
    Factors including long time finishers are:


    1. Heat
    2. How much lighting
    3. How close the lights are
    4. PH going in and out
    5. Feeding schedule (how often give nutes)
    6. Type of CFL lights
    7. How many CFL light (lumen output)
    8. and so on and so forth

    You can't just base that a paper says it takes 6-8 weeks and go by that, because like above there are tons of factors that make a plant take longer and depending on how bad the situation it may not even get bigger, it may just mature rather than fill in. Heat will do that especially if not tended to correctly!
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington


    "A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach."

    L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

    Live~Laugh~Love


  7. #6
    Man1fesT is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-17-2008
    Posts
    23
    I know many different factors can have an impact on the outcome of your crop but hypothetically, if two different crops with virtually identical environments except one has a 400w HPS and the other has equal wattage of CFL's, would the crop under the CFL's take longer to mature?

  8. #7
    BlewBerry's Avatar
    BlewBerry is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-01-2008
    Posts
    55
    I dont think that light will effect your flowering time...every other factor it will though. i.e. potency, taste, yield
    Last edited by BlewBerry; Jul-31-2009 at 05:54.

  9. #8
    Italiano715's Avatar
    Italiano715 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-25-2008
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Man1fesT View Post
    I know many different factors can have an impact on the outcome of your crop but hypothetically, if two different crops with virtually identical environments except one has a 400w HPS and the other has equal wattage of CFL's, would the crop under the CFL's take longer to mature?
    When using CFL's it doesn't have the same lumen output as a HPS, so you would virtually have to use more wattage from the CFL's.

    Basically 250W of CFLs is not the same as 250W HPS...The HPS has a lot more lumen output then the CFLs, plus the HPS penetrates further into the canopy usually resulting in bigger buds, I.E. all other conditions are met.
    "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it every where."
    - George Washington


    "A dope fiend refers to the reefer butt as a roach, because, it resembles a cockroach."

    L. Ron Bumquist: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

    Live~Laugh~Love


  10. #9
    nomadinexile is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jun-09-2008
    Posts
    7
    Lumen output is only part of the story. Is the hps air cooled? That glass takes out 10%+. Do you have your one light 3 feet above the highest part of your unkept canopy? (I Don't mean you, just hypothetical )
    You get were I am going though right? I think equal would come out fairly equal if you do a banging job!

    To the original poster: If you have everything dialed in, and are efficiently using 10000 lumens per square foot, you shouldn't have a longer harvest period. That would assume shorties or SCROG though. Otherwise, the plant will get weird if you let them get very tall or very far away from bulb.
    2"-4" max. Oh, that's a lot of Cfl's per square foot though. 7 23 watters of the "bright white" I just saw would be 105000 lumens. That's a lot of bulbs in a small spot. So realistically, you will probably use less, and it will take a little longer. But with time, ingenuity, and good venting, you could do it. imo

    Quote Originally Posted by Italiano715 View Post
    When using CFL's it doesn't have the same lumen output as a HPS, so you would virtually have to use more wattage from the CFL's.

    Basically 250W of CFLs is not the same as 250W HPS...The HPS has a lot more lumen output then the CFLs, plus the HPS penetrates further into the canopy usually resulting in bigger buds, I.E. all other conditions are met.

  11. #10
    MonkeyBone's Avatar
    MonkeyBone is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-28-2008
    Posts
    550
    On my previous grow I had 18-20 light bulbs (CFL) that produced about 30 000 lumens on 2 plants. Took 3 months of flowering.
    Everything said or shown here by me are pure dream material. Yes. It is only a dream in which I participate. You can do anything you want in a dream, except for dreaming about something in a dream, then you're lost and can't find your way back. Back to where?



  12. #11
    pokesmot247's Avatar
    pokesmot247 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Aug-16-2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBone View Post
    On my previous grow I had 18-20 light bulbs (CFL) that produced about 30 000 lumens on 2 plants. Took 3 months of flowering.
    Wow, that\'s pretty crazy! 3 months? I\'m using 12 CFLs as it is and it looks like I\'m a few weeks away. Hopefully my grow isn\'t extended like yours....I wanna smoke these suckers already! Heh.

  13. #12
    Creeper34 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jun-30-2009
    Posts
    8
    ahh! im thinking about growing 2 ladies under 8 23 watters and all this talk of 3 months of flowering is nottt what i want to hear!

  14. #13
    bigtopsfinn's Avatar
    bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-28-2008
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper34 View Post
    ahh! im thinking about growing 2 ladies under 8 23 watters and all this talk of 3 months of flowering is nottt what i want to hear!
    Get a 250-400w hps and proper ventilation instead, you'll be glad you did
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

    Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010

  15. #14
    Creeper34 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jun-30-2009
    Posts
    8
    i just did some math and i think using the 8 lights i was thinking about using i will only get like 14,000 lumens? if my grow room is approx. 3' x 3' is that even enough? i read just a few posts up that you need 10,000 per square foot? this is making my head spin. ive done stuff outdoors before and you dont really gotta worry about lumens hahaha this indoor grow will be my first attempt at it.

    SORRY FOR STEALING THE THREAD!

  16. #15
    bigtopsfinn's Avatar
    bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug-28-2008
    Posts
    1,596
    Hehe the thread's a year old, don't think anyone will mind

    For a 3 x 3 space, go with a 400w hps. If you have the money and means for the ventilation, a 600w would be even better. But either way you go you'll be spending about as much on the ventilation as the lighting. It might seem like a big investment at first, but if all goes well you're looking at .5 grams per watt and up.

    EDIT: Forgot to add, shoot for 5000+ lumens per square foot, and you're good
    Last edited by bigtopsfinn; Aug-23-2010 at 07:27.
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

    Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010

  17. #16
    headshake's Avatar
    headshake is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-12-2008
    Posts
    3,766
    keep in mind that the finishing times given by seed boutiques are the EARLIEST a strain is considered done. this is not the most optimum time to harvest. as always, use the indications given to you by the plant as when to harvest, not words on a website.


    -shake
    "happy trees"

    troubleshooting form

    "some of my sweets be tight and some of my sweets be fucked up, but all of my sweets gon' blow so killa smoke gets sucked up..." -Bun B

    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."
    -Deceleration of Independence

  18. #17
    eastender is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Sep-08-2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Man1fesT View Post
    I am 7 weeks into flowering using CFLs and this strain is supposed to take 6-8 weeks, however the ladies don't appear (to the naked eye) to be anywhere near being done.

    I am wondering, does it takes longer for the flower phase to complete under CFLs than it does under an HPS or the Sun?
    Does the estimated "6-8" week flowering account for any usable type of light? Or a specific light?

    Thanks.
    What strains are you growing? I currently use 1x 250W HO CFL per sq foot totalling 8ft and have always finished flowering within a week of the stated finishing times, also what is your light schedule?

  19. #18
    doeboy742 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-25-2010
    Posts
    36
    Plus, different cannabis has different flowering lengths. From 8 to 12 weeks depending on strain. So it might not be your lights. So you can't say that the cfl made it take that long. That's your own opinion. I use cfl's for veg and flower, and have not ever have a problem with my 8 week flower. To each his own.

  20. #19
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    bump a PISS_ANT post,

    Started to get snarky, after all he's never had problems.
    Keep it civil please, gentlemen. -StinkyAttic

  21. #20
    doeboy742 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep-25-2010
    Posts
    36

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post
    bump a PISS_ANT post,

    Started to get snarky, after all he's never had problems.
    You show a great level of maturity, This is the 4th or 5th post i have you wasted time out of your day, just to show everyone onine how sad your life is. Dont worry man theres somone out there for you still, dont give up mann. I feel your pain, your old, lonley with nothing to do all day besides make negitive posts. Some how i think you like me more than a male is supposed to like another male. Im starting to think that you love me. Thats kinda sad mannn.... What are you gonna just live life bitter till its your roll call? Come on harass somone else. All because i said that people on here dont like to help people. Your just proving my point. you must be 13 becase your acting like your still in high school. Like i said before, ill take my 2 months of knowlede over your 25 years of bullshitt. You grow shwag level meds. Your a bum. And a bitter old fart

    Sorry to the owner of this thread, This oldmac guy has no respect for others.

    And thats why i call you better. Do you smell moth balls?????

  22. #21
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by doeboy742 View Post
    You show a great level of maturity, This is the 4th or 5th post i have you wasted time out of your day, just to show everyone onine how sad your life is. Dont worry man theres somone out there for you still, dont give up mann. I feel your pain, your old, lonley with nothing to do all day besides make negitive posts. Some how i think you like me more than a male is supposed to like another male. Im starting to think that you love me. Thats kinda sad mannn.... What are you gonna just live life bitter till its your roll call? Come on harass somone else. All because i said that people on here dont like to help people. Your just proving my point. you must be 13 becase your acting like your still in high school. Like i said before, ill take my 2 months of knowlede over your 25 years of bullshitt. You grow shwag level meds. Your a bum. And a bitter old fart

    Sorry to the owner of this thread, This oldmac guy has no respect for others.

    And thats why i call you better. Do you smell moth balls?????
    Hey DoeBoy742,

    The OP probably doesn't mind.....the threads over a year old, you stupid little PISS-Ant.

    BTW I have plenty of respect for others, but when some litte PISS-ANT is not going to show me respect, well then you going to pay the price.

    Harass someone else?.....I don't think so, I think I'll make harassing you my life's work now, MY little stupid PISS-ANT.
    OM
    Keep it civil please, gentlemen. -StinkyAttic

  23. #22
    tinytoon's Avatar
    tinytoon is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-20-2008
    Posts
    2,107
    Hey Doeboy you asked for it with your comment back in the "fed up" thread. Why you even bothered I have no clue. What do you have the right to be fed up about?? How many grows are under your belt?? 2 people responded directly to the post you made and you prob didnt even read what we had to say, instead tuck your tail and run. We are not chasing you down we just would like to see if your gonna come back and finish what your comment started.
    Last edited by tinytoon; Dec-03-2010 at 17:23.
    If you have something productive to say by all means speak up, if not then please close the hole under your nose.
    Grow in Progress - Forced into retirement, advise only. ........................................ maybe
    All pictures are either computer generated or "found" on the web.

  24. #23
    tinytoon's Avatar
    tinytoon is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-20-2008
    Posts
    2,107
    Doeboy I dont imagine you would have any problems with cfl's for both veg and flower since your first grow didnt start until 9/30/10! So exactly how much first hand knowledge are you speaking from??
    If you have something productive to say by all means speak up, if not then please close the hole under your nose.
    Grow in Progress - Forced into retirement, advise only. ........................................ maybe
    All pictures are either computer generated or "found" on the web.

  25. #24
    oldmac's Avatar
    oldmac is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-24-2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Why thank you Tiny, for joining the Troll Patrol.

    I'm not going to permit someone to come in my house, in this case cancom, and insult me or others and have them think they can get away with it. So far his responces have been insults abt my age, homophobic remarks, and other childish BS.

    Since there has been no hatefull responce since my last bump,
    I will not mention him, here or now.
    OM
    Keep it civil please, gentlemen. -StinkyAttic

  26. #25
    RAINHAZE is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep-13-2009
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmac View Post
    Why thank you Tiny, for joining the Troll Patrol.

    I'm not going to permit someone to come in my house, in this case cancom, and insult me or others and have them think they can get away with it. So far his responces have been insults abt my age, homophobic remarks, and other childish BS.

    Since there has been no hatefull responce since my last bump,
    I will not mention him, here or now.
    OM
    Count me in also! This twit deffinetly needs to learn some manners. I had a slight incident myself where he tried to give a ˝ assed excuse for talking to someone else like crap. I cant stand when someone takes the time and courage to ask a question, and get knocked down by some moron who is obviously trying to make their selves look smarter than they actualy are.
    Its about time we stand up against the assholes in the world!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •