Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice in bong ...bad?

brad1028 is offline Registered+

Ice in bong ...bad?

I have a friend who told me that his friend got a lung infection from smoking with ice in the roor too much. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything like this or if anyone thought smoking with ice was bad for your lungs. I am talking about taking multiple bong rip session, 5+ times a day. My glass bong has ice catchers, and I don't bother putting ice in it all the time, but it sounds possible that doing that frequently cold be worse. So am I just really high and being paranoid, or do you think there is some truth to this?

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

Loathsome is offline Registered+
    Well, I'm not a doctor but I can tell you that I've smoked my bong with ice many, many times and I'm still fine. I think you must just be paranoid
    With my weed, I smoke everyday
    If I'm not high, the hate will escape
    I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
    Weed is my life, weed is my love
    So pass the bong, pack up the bowl
    A blunt to hit, a fat joint to roll...

doomie62 is offline Registered+
    if i put ice in my bong i dont cough as hard as i do without it, maybe its something else that coused him to get the lung infection. i dont think ice would cause it all it does is cool the smoke.. but who knows.....

RhinoGrowUK is offline Banned
    Paranoid ! I only use ice WHEN ive got a bad throat cos it cools the smoke down. Tell your mate to tell his mate to stop blaming the Herb !

Reefer Rogue is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by brad1028 View Post
    I have a friend who told me that his friend got a lung infection from smoking with ice in the roor too much. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything like this or if anyone thought smoking with ice was bad for your lungs. I am talking about taking multiple bong rip session, 5+ times a day. My glass bong has ice catchers, and I don't bother putting ice in it all the time, but it sounds possible that doing that frequently cold be worse. So am I just really high and being paranoid, or do you think there is some truth to this?
    Absolute bullshit. Ice away.
    PEACE

'Why should one be judged by the colour of their skin, instead of the qualities they show from deep within?' - Peter Tosh

If they dont instantly know what you are talking about just walk away.
    Kraloth:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/recreatio...rger-then.html

Metaphor is offline Registered+
    he probably got a lung infection because his weed was sprayed with something like raid or windex not because of ice. H2fuckinO cant infect you.

dankus maximus is offline Registered+
    or he didnt change his bongwater often enough. People dont get it, warm standing water at room tempurature with decaying organic matter in it? to some peoepl that spells "leave it in for a couple days" but to me that spells bacteria and mold. ive heard of the pneumonia myth with ice in bongs, and there may be some truth to it. Either way i prefer hto water bongs, its soothing, thick, and its a well known fact that steam is good fo rthe resperatory system.
    A friend in need is a friend indeed.....BUT A FRIEND WITH WEED IS BETTER!

imitator is offline Registered+
    No, ice will not cause an infection. Something else caused the infection, and the ice just happened to be there to be blamed.

Ive used ice in my bongs for a couple years now without any problems, and it makes the smoke alot smoother when you hit it.
    "This is the ghost of normal everday assumptions which declares that the ultimate purpose of life, which is to keep alive, is impossible, but that this is the ultimate purpose of life anyway, so that great minds struggle to cure diseases so that people may live longer, but only "mad-men" ask why. One lives longer in order that he may live longer. There is no other purpose. That is what the ghost says."
    - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence.

The Dude Of Life is offline Registered+
    You people are spreading misinformation, ice CAN cause an infection, if your lungs build up too much moisture inside of the air sacs (when you breathe in with ice in the chamber you breathe water vapor) you can contract infections or pneumonia. You just need alot of it, thats probably why your friend got the infection because he was smoking wiht ice a heinous amount of times, that can wreak havoc on your lungs.
    Which basically means that most casual users of ice will not contract infections, but it is certainly possible with prolonged use.
    EDIT: I am not a doctor, this is just from things that i have read in the past.
    Last edited by The Dude Of Life; Oct-14-2007 at 22:00.
    Let my inspiration flow
    In token rhyme, suggesting rhythm

imitator is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude Of Life View Post
    You people are spreading misinformation, ice CAN cause an infection, if your lungs build up too much moisture inside of the air sacs (when you breathe in with ice in the chamber you breathe water vapor) you can contract infections or pneumonia. You just need alot of it, thats probably why your friend got the infection because he was smoking wiht ice a heinous amount of times, that can wreak havoc on your lungs.
    Which basically means that most casual users of ice will not contract infections, but it is certainly possible with prolonged use.
    EDIT: I am not a doctor, this is just from things that i have read in the past.
    Nothing against you man, but Id need to see some documentation on that before Id believe it at all.

I smoke every day with a bong with ice in it, and have never had a problem once. Its just as likely that the person inhaled something else, and it was just a coincidence that he had ice in his bong too.

Its just too unlikely that the ice was the actual cause. At best, Id say its possible it was a catalyst involved with the actual problem and helped enable it, but the ice itself just doesnt seem like the culprit.
    "This is the ghost of normal everday assumptions which declares that the ultimate purpose of life, which is to keep alive, is impossible, but that this is the ultimate purpose of life anyway, so that great minds struggle to cure diseases so that people may live longer, but only "mad-men" ask why. One lives longer in order that he may live longer. There is no other purpose. That is what the ghost says."
    - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence.

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude Of Life View Post
    You people are spreading misinformation, ice CAN cause an infection, if your lungs build up too much moisture inside of the air sacs (when you breathe in with ice in the chamber you breathe water vapor)
    ok so....

ice in chamber = breathe in water vapor

but

water in chamber = not breathing in water vapor?

wtf??? i do not understand.
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.

ubermoose is offline Registered
    If ice/water vapor caused lung infections then you would get them from showers, saunas, swimming, being outside in cold weather or fog, living near the sea and living in some countries.

Ofcourse too much moisture in your lungs can cause problems, its called drowning...

The Dude Of Life is offline Registered+
    Eh my bad i guess i cant find where i read that so maybe im wrong...
    Google it or osmething thats what i tried.
    Let my inspiration flow
    In token rhyme, suggesting rhythm

brad1028 is offline Registered+
    seems like parents always want to make their kids dress appropriate for the cold saying the will catch a cold or pneumonia. i know that water isn't infecting anyone...i meant the basic principal behind the cold air/weather getting you sick, inhaling all that cold air is what i thought could be bad, not the actual h2o. as far as that goes i know ice cubes are the same as water in the bottom of the bong.

i agree though , not to worry about it, i've never had problems smoking with ice
    Last edited by brad1028; Oct-16-2007 at 06:28.

nolanfortwenty is offline Registered+
    ice=water
    water in bong
    i think youll be fine

i put ice in my bong all the time, its the best becuz it makes the smoke more smooth, and not as harsh, so it doesnt make u cough! its even better if u let the ice melt a bit so, that the ice starts to drip!

TheGreenBuddy is offline Registered+
    i just started using ice in my bong...makes the smoke cool...very chilll...lol...to smoke.

mad_clown is offline Registered
    Smoke with ice everyday its fine

CaptinCronic is offline Registered

Lightbulb IT IS BAD O NO

Ok i found out why it is Bad to have ice in a bong.

-The water vapor attaches with all the smoke and tar and whatnot, therefore making it thicker/stickier so the TAR sits more in the lungs and may become trapped.

-Accualy smoking a bong is not the greatest because of this, but is still ok

-Ice is a lil different because it is frozen and some molecule shit happens, so when hot smoke lifts that vapor stuff off it does some shit thats not good,

-Water makes Bad stuff stay in lungs because it binds with bad shit

Hope ya'll fellowed that

FlyinPolynesian is offline Registered+
    Ice is good, But SNOW is the Best.....

The snow acts as a natural filter!!
    Hahai Ka 'Oia'i'o a me maluhia a Ola
    My First Grow and Log.....My GnarTard Grow log

DogtowN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinCronic View Post
    Ok i found out why it is Bad to have ice in a bong.

-Ice is a lil different because it is frozen and some molecule shit happens, so when hot smoke lifts that vapor stuff off it does some shit thats not good,
    I'm not good with technical terms. This clears things up.
    Last edited by DogtowN; Jan-05-2011 at 18:02.

thehobbit is offline Registered
    Two good possibilities are:

1) Your friend didn't change his bongwater. As someone else noted above, bongwater is, well, very nasty. Warm water with decaying biomatter is an excellent way to encourage bacterial growth. Change the water often. The more often, the better.

2) If the ice wasn't from an ice bag in a grocery store, the ice itself may have been unsafe. Most tapwater will be safe, unless it's from a well and isn't properly filtered. More importantly, those ice cube trays you make ice cubes with can grow mold and bacteria, especially if you use something other than water in them (making ice cubes from juice or coffee, for instance). If you don't wash ice trays regularly, they can get pretty gross. If your friend's ice cube trays were dirty, this may be the problem.

shottee is offline Registered
    This is what i've heard:

Bacteria grows in the ice which is evaporated and directly absorbed through your lungs (as thehobbit mentioned).

Homebuild is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by shottee View Post
    This is what i've heard:

Bacteria grows in the ice which is evaporated and directly absorbed through your lungs (as thehobbit mentioned).

So, If the problem is bacteria in the ice, wouldn't drinking an iced beverage do the same type of thing?

Purple Daddy is offline Registered+
    WOW, interesting stuff here. An infection in the lung can be caused by two things either a bacterial infection or a virul infection, either of which can be picked up just about anywhere, even sharing a bong!

Someone here said bacteria forms in ice? Ice will prevent the forming of bacteria but if it was already contaminated you're out of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast