Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Glass Bowl

daren420c is offline Registered

Cleaning Glass Bowl

I was just wondering what is the best way to remove resin from a glass bowl? I've heard soaking it in rubbing alcohol and scraping with a toothpick or the like, but honestly I have no idea if that will cause it to break or not. I really appreciate the help

rebgirl420 is offline Registered+
    What you need:

*Rubbing alcohol
    *Pipe Cleaners
    *Q-Tip

Soak the q-tip or pipe cleaner in the rubbing alcohol and begin to scrub the resin from your bowl/bong/whatever. Soaking your bowl/bong/whatever first in rubbing alcohol is good too.

The resin will begin to break down once the rubbing alcohol hits it and then you just scrub away until it's clean. Then rinse off your bowl/bong/whatever with water.

Done.

It's perfectly safe, unlike the boiling method. Your bowl/bong/whatever isnt going to break with this method.
    Vote for me to be Miss High Times 2011!
    http://misshightimes.com/users/rebgirl420

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like, victory. Someday this war's gonna end.."

- Kilgore (Apocalypse Now)

Xavina is here! August 22nd, 2010!
    4 1/2 Years Here and Counting

Kryptonite24 is offline Registered+
    ^^she pretty much said it all^^
    salt helps to cause it doesnt dissolve in the alcohol so it acts like a scrubber. woot!!!
    "I know you dont smoke weed i know this, but im getting you high today" -Smokey

Thiele is offline Registered
    Apart from what has already been said I would also use salt. It is a very good non-harmful abrasive. As far as the rubbing alcohol goes get the highest percent possible. (everclear works wonders)

40oz is offline Registered+
    just combine a bunch of salt and rubbing alcohol in your bong and swosh it around for 5-10mins until clean. Its that easy.

"If you have only two alternatives, then choose the third."

Euphoric7 is offline Registered+
    I can never seem to full clean out the area around the bowl in the inside.
    Everything I post is 100% fictional and used purely for entertainment purposes.
    <I really appreciate good rep. >

Barney Trouble is offline Registered+
    i put it in with the dishes

Metaphor is offline Registered+
    soak it in an soloution composed of efferdent and water for 30 minutes then you can wipe it clean with any number of things. I usualy use a swiss army knife.

silverspring07 is offline Registered+
    I just did it tonight...soaked it in hot water & dish soap for an hour & then used a Q tip and all of the resin I could reach easily came off. The rest of it (under the bowl) can be reached with a pipe cleaner.

MadSativa is offline Registered+
    I have heard efferdint and alcohol work good infact that 420 cleaner stuff looks just like it. I just use the method reb described. And what breaks your glass is hitting it hard enough on a harder surface than itself will brake it. Also temerature differance. an example is dont put ice and freazing water in part of your bong and hot steaming water in another part. the extrem temp differance could casue a stress crack, it could come apart like a broken toy, or it could be just fine. Ice and freazing water or hot steamy water but not both at the same time. personaly I dont realy see the point in hot water bongin anyway but people like it.

Rhea0Reefer is offline Registered
    Nail polish remover! w/ acetone

afterwards wash it well to get the chemicals off

its works!!!

if its inside of your bowl- get an old pot boil water nail polish and some white vinegar-- submerge the bowl and you can see chips of resin come off

taraxrist is offline Registered
    Alcohol and the salt treatment works fairly well.

Warm your alcohol in the microwave for about 30 seconds, pour into your bowl/bong and then pour some salt in and swish it around.

Should do fine. ^_^

TheMetal1 is offline Registered+

Go...

To a headshop and buy Formula 420. I admit, there are better (cheaper) ways to clean a pipe... but that stuff will at least show you HOW clean you can get your pipe. I didn't clean one of my bowls for a couple of years. I bought some of that stuff and in about 10 minutes I saw what the pipe looked like when I first bought it!

You can also get a feel for the consistency and ingredients of Formula 420 and then make it yourself with some alcohol, salt, and citrus juice.

Have fun and Happy Cleaning
    nosce te ipsum....

Tox
    Tox is offline Registered+
    Put a cup of water in the microwave and get it boiling then drop your pipe in the cup for about 5 minutes. THe cup will start looking like a fucked up cup of coffee... your pipe should be clean if not grab a cu tip and clean it more but hot water really does the trick. THen you have to get a few paper towels and use them to strain the resing from the water in the cup if you want to keep your resin...

Tox
    Tox is offline Registered+
    but if you just want to clean the bowl itself just get it hot and wipe it out with some tissue...

trancefusion5 is offline Registered+
    Yeah go with the rubbing alcohol and salt. Let it sit in the alcohol for a few hours and then throw in the salt and shake it up good. The salt helps to get the stuff out where q-tips dont reach.
    Donít waive you rights with your flag...

Got Kottonmouth?

legalEYESit is offline Banned

Lightbulb Boil in a POT 5-10 Min

Don't use a good POT but you can boil them in water and they get 90% clean if not even better w/o alcohol Just use a POT that you don't care about...
    Last edited by legalEYESit; Aug-15-2008 at 02:54.

RobPA is offline Registered+
    Try and not take the advice of anyone who tells you to put your glass in ANY type of hot water. Taking your glass from hot/warm water to cold or cool water will give it a bigger chance of shattering. I personally use Isopropyl Alcohol (100%) and COOKING SALT because the grains are a little bigger. I also have a spcial tool called the original BUDDY, its like the thing they use to clean fishtanks. Its a Magnet that has little scrubbers on one side and you drop it into your bong and can scrub the inside from the outside. I do this while the alcohol is still in the water portion of the bong. Works great! Just dont use the hot water method, its way to much of a risk especially if your workin' with an expensive piece.

fmccoy21 is offline Registered

PLEASE HELP 911!

I just boiled my bowl and don't know what to do! I don't want it to break and I know it could from reading about boiling bowls here! It's currently in the water it boiled in. PLEASE help so my bowl doesn't break! asap!

Cleaning?

Why waste the time on cleaning when you can just buy a new one, unless you're attached to your old one. Did you know that you can make your own, check it out.

TheMetal1 is offline Registered+

eh...

Quote Originally Posted by fmccoy21 View Post
    I just boiled my bowl and don't know what to do! I don't want it to break and I know it could from reading about boiling bowls here! It's currently in the water it boiled in. PLEASE help so my bowl doesn't break! asap!
    I'm guessing you already dealt with your problem sooo.....

For anyone else that has this same situation... it's probably best to turn off the stove and leave the pan where it is (moving it around could give the pipe that little smack it needed to crack in half). Let the water cool down to about room temperature... THEN remove your bowl from the pan. The biggest threat to glass isn't particularly extreme hot or extreme cold... it's the rapid transition between the two that can cause fractures.
    nosce te ipsum....

DopeSoap is offline Registered
    I just starting using a new glass pipe cleaner called Pur Sterile and it works
    great. None of that nasty smell or taste you get with rubbing alcohol or Formula 420. I know you can get it in most head shops in California, but they also have a website

PUR STERILE - Cleaning Glass Pipe -- Pipe Bongs -- Hand Blown Glass Pipes -- Custom Glass Pipes -- Glass Pipe Cleaner.

where you can pick some up. Its super cheap and
    easy. I think it was like $5 for 2 cleanings!

Hope it helps!

dziendobry4 is offline Registered+
    what i usually do is run it under hot water, which will get rid of a lot of gunk, then let it sit overnight in cup or bag of rubbing alcohol, then do the hot water again, then use some more rubbing alcohol + salt (the salt works as an abrasive) and swish it around the pipe (make sure to cover the mouthpiece/bowl/carb). this will get rid of just about everything in there. don't bother buying any cleaning products for bowls, they're mostly just rubbing alcohol and salt
    I figure if I study high, take the test high, get high scores!

Ub3rB0ng is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeSoap View Post
    I just starting using a new glass pipe cleaner called Pur Sterile and it works
    great. None of that nasty smell or taste you get with rubbing alcohol or Formula 420. I know you can get it in most head shops in California, but they also have a website

PUR STERILE - Cleaning Glass Pipe -- Pipe Bongs -- Hand Blown Glass Pipes -- Custom Glass Pipes -- Glass Pipe Cleaner.

where you can pick some up. Its super cheap and
    easy. I think it was like $5 for 2 cleanings!

Hope it helps!
    Hrmm ive never gotten any nasty taste or smell using rubbin alcohol,silly noob thats why you clean it with water afterwards. $5 for 2 cleanings? you call that cheap.

Nancy007 is offline Registered+
    Yeah, I never got a nasty taste using the Formula 420 either. I bought a bottle of that, had it for a year now and probably have used it at least 10-15 times.
    I'm like Medusa. Every thread I touch turns to stone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast