Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Grinders=metal alloy in your lungs.

Kindbud is offline Registered+

Metal Grinders=metal alloy in your lungs.

I just wanted to do a sort of follow up on that kief grinder thread. The common spacecase metal 3 chamber grinders create mass amounts of friction when used. For all who own one, unscrew the middle chamber,and run your index finger across the main threading of the grinder. When I owned one, and did this ,a massive amount off aluminum shrapnel came off the threading . Mine was a 130$ spacecase grinder, I've seen low end 50$ kief catchers ,and can only imagine.. Not only do smoke organic buds ,but this is why I try to keep all my smoking habits as 'organic' as possible ; wood>metal. Stay stoned everybody.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal Grinders=metal alloy in your lungs.-1-equip.jpg   Metal Grinders=metal alloy in your lungs.-2.jpg  
    Breath Freely, and overgrow the world!!!.

johnnyAKABob is offline Registered+
    i have a 10 kif catcher and no metal flakes have ever come off it
    Quote Originally Posted by LIP View Post
    Weed for all, weed weed, only weed. Lots of weed. Weed everywhere. Walls of weed, paths of weed, cars of weed, packs of weed, joints of weed, bongs of weed, lots and lots of weed.

pixel is offline Registered+
    i use a plastic grinder so i don't have to worry about this luckily. i was definitely planning on buying a new steel grinder in the near future but i think i'll keep using my shitty but functional plastic one now.
    Flick your BIC Expand your mind

And when your world seems cold, you got to let your spirit take control.
    Let your soul shine,
    Its better than sunshine,
    Its better than moonshine,
    And damn sure better than rain.
    Lord now people dont mind,
    We all get this way sometimes,
    Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7PS3k2O1g

aznson01 Guest
    i dont no what ur talking about, u must have a shitty grinder or something, if that was the case it woulda been discovered a while ago... i htink u just got ripped off

duckfool is offline Registered+
    There's not a hint of metal anywhere on my grinder after much use. It must just be the one you own.

Also chances are the wood used to make your wooden grinder has been chemically treated when the wood was being dried, and to make it last longer - wetting agent, dry-aid, varnish, formaldehyde, sodium benzoate, etc.

Also, a lighter never gets hot enough to sublimate aluminum or steel. It's impossible to inhale any vapor from thier use.

Look around your house. Your cookware, parts fo the element on your stove, the element in your kettle. They are all made from steel. There is a reason for this - it is inert and under operating temperatures do not get hot enough to sublimate gaseous metal - and thats based on real life scientific application, not stoner psuedo-knowledge.
    -------------------
    Duckfool

Spreading the hate, one post at a time.

everlyj23 is offline Registered+
    very well put duckfool....and yea don't you think this news would have come out a long time ago if grinders were flaking all over the place?

my grinder's made out of lucite, which is a very very hard plastic, so i don't have to worry about this either.

ghettoBlunt is offline Registered+
    i thought i saw some in mine when i was really baked, but upon further investigation it looked like some white kief off of this dank bud i had....and how much harm would such a small amount of metal do anyway, and it wouldnt matter if you smoked it through a bong--correct?
    "you cant legislate your own morality."

Quote Originally Posted by aeonblue11 View Post
    my right nut aches. do i have cancer?

head.ease

i dont intend on being a little bitch and lying...i love marijuana to its fullest and embrace this gift daily

smoke it is offline Registered+
    ya, and Marlboro Reds=cancer in your lungs, but i still dont give a fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by kindprincess View Post
    enlightening hell, last time i saw a demon, i beat his ass and made him my bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwhore View Post
    we fly high...
    no lie...
    you know its....

JESUS!
    In the eyes of a ranger,
    The unsuspected stranger
    Had better know the truth of wrong from right,
    Cause the eyes of a ranger are upon you,
    Any wrong you do he's gonna see,
    When youre in Texas look behind you,
    Cause that's where the rangers are gonna be

You guys can choose to ignore it. I didn't get ripped off,spacecase make high end metal kief catcher/grinders. You can choose to ignore it , or simply run your index finger over the outer threading on the grinder, check it out. Later

Quote Originally Posted by duckfool View Post
    There's not a hint of metal anywhere on my grinder after much use. It must just be the one you own.

Also chances are the wood used to make your wooden grinder has been chemically treated when the wood was being dried, and to make it last longer - wetting agent, dry-aid, varnish, formaldehyde, sodium benzoate, etc.

Also, a lighter never gets hot enough to sublimate aluminum or steel. It's impossible to inhale any vapor from thier use.

Look around your house. Your cookware, parts fo the element on your stove, the element in your kettle. They are all made from steel. There is a reason for this - it is inert and under operating temperatures do not get hot enough to sublimate gaseous metal - and thats based on real life scientific application, not stoner psuedo-knowledge.
    Wow, ok.. First off all HARDENED steel made for stovetops is a completely different material /SUBJECT ! I'm not trying to start an arguement here. Secondly I don't think nirvana seed company would use formaldehyde or dryaid in their wood ! Man are you just trying to argue? The friction caused by the grinding causes aluminum to flake... Run your finger on the outer side of any HIGH END quality kief collector/grinder,and notice the shiny glimmers of shrapnel. Who knows ,maybe it was just the one I bought ...

khoa is offline Registered+
    what about metal pipes

duckfool is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindbud View Post
    Wow, ok.. First off all HARDENED steel made for stovetops is a completely different material /SUBJECT !
    They aren't made from hardened steel, just your run of the mill untempered mild steel. But anyway, I'm not just trying to argue, I just think its something really silly to worry about.

Secondly I don't think nirvana seed company would use formaldehyde or dryaid in their wood !
    Nirvana seeds don't prepare the wood they use to make thier grinders. In fact, chances are they don't even make the grinders, but rather have them made by someone else and then branded with thier logo.

Run your finger on the outer side of any HIGH END quality kief collector/grinder,and notice the shiny glimmers of shrapnel.
    Just did. Nothing!

There should be enough clearance inbetween the parts that move past eachother for that not to happen. If your grinder is doing this, maybe you should xchange it, or try a different one.
    Last edited by duckfool; Dec-11-2006 at 00:03.
    -------------------
    Duckfool

Spreading the hate, one post at a time.

S.P.Q.R. is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by khoa View Post
    what about metal pipes
    What about them? He's not saying metal's particularly bad to smoke with.. he's just saying his grinder might be getting metal flakes into his bud.
    If I can't smoke and swear, I'm fucked!

"Let them hate me, as long as they fear me!" -
    Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus

BobBong is offline Registered+
    What about filters? screens? the pot itself? water in a bong?

There's a lot of things that will stop these few "shavings" from getting into your mouth let alone , lungs.
    As we live...a life of ease. Everyone of us...has all we need. Sky of Blue...and Sea of Green. In our Yellow Submarine.
    Bob's CannabisButter Recipe!
    Everything in Moderation...

suhl is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by duckfool View Post

this sounds about right. i think if people were inhaling all those metal flakes then we would have weed related health problems which would be highly publicized. if the guy that made this thread wants to present some actual proof, as in cases of people using metal grinders, preferably more than one since thousands and thousands of people use them, having additional lung problems
    caught a beer in a brown paper sack two dollars away from the rent

partcleguy is offline Registered+
    I've had the same problem. First time I saw it, I threw away my grinder (a cheap aluminum grinder). Having aluminum shavings in your lungs is no laughing matter. You can look up the material safety sheet, but it can lead to some bad problems over time. Its not worth debating if its for personal health. You gotta think long term here, people. We all know we're going to be smoking weed for years and years

nikweiser is offline Registered+
    130$ for a grinder?

. Swisher Sweets. .

Uproot the Propaganda, not the plant.

Protect your secrets with silence

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    wooden ones rock the shit, or a plastic one. Simple is best, fuck it, a coffee grinder.... no efffort lol!

khoa is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.Q.R. View Post
    What about them? He's not saying metal's particularly bad to smoke with.. he's just saying his grinder might be getting metal flakes into his bud.
    i was trying to get at the point that aluminum would not be able to vaporize at such a low temperature. So it would stay solid, if it gets sucked through the bowl before you dump out the ash, it would probably get stuck in the resin before it entered your mouth. Even if it entered your lungs, these visible flakes are probably big enough that your cilia will eventually brush them out.
    that's my logic at least.

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by khoa View Post
    i was trying to get at the point that aluminum would not be able to vaporize at such a low temperature. So it would stay solid, if it gets sucked through the bowl before you dump out the ash, it would probably get stuck in the resin before it entered your mouth. Even if it entered your lungs, these visible flakes are probably big enough that your cilia will eventually brush them out.
    that's my logic at least.
    I for one think you are 100% right. It's NOTHING to worry about, and as someone said up there ^, if you metal grinder is making THAT much friction, it cant be top end... I have a grass leaf metal grinder and it works perfectly, i love it, and best of all, NO shavings...

www.grassleaf.com

Quote Originally Posted by BobBong View Post
    What about filters? screens? the pot itself? water in a bong?

There's a lot of things that will stop these few "shavings" from getting into your mouth let alone , lungs.
    man..sarcasm is awesome.. this is cannabis.com for you.. just tried to make a post. ok guys. do what you want .

everlyj23 is offline Registered+
    are you crying

420purplehaze420 is offline Registered+
    $130 for a potentially cancerous grinder? I have a coffee grinder that cost me 7 bucks 2 years ago, nothing but fresh tasty weed coming out of that thing, go to the appliance section at wal-mart, they'll get you hooked up.

If I seen metal shavings in my grinder id chuck it to, for what its worth.
    No stupid disclaimer here...Im proud I smoke cannabis

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+

Question

...sorry..I am a noob on this subject....why do you grind your weed into dust?..

...seems unnatural to me...??...from a J point of view...old school smoker...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast