Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Thunder Trimmer

kully is offline Registered+

Rolling Thunder Trimmer

Check this animal out

http://www.rollingthundermachine.com/

Heres a video of it in action

http://www.urbangrower.com/UG_S15_rolling_thunder.html

"Retail Price of Machine and collector - $14,500 Canadian ** Dealer May Sell for less"

i dont think i need one of these quite yet

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

buzz62 is offline Registered

Rolling Thunder Machine

Maybe you need a little buddy
    The Little Buddy Personal Power Leaf Trimmer
    (Shameles Promotion)

humboldtlocal is offline Registered+

rolling thunder sucks

I have seen it in action and the barrel warps because it is welded. Then your leaf wont reach the blades. It is poorly designed. The only trimmer that really works and is actually worth the money is the Tumbleweed. It is also called the Samurai.
    YouTube - Samurai Power Trimmer
    I have seen this machine do 8 lbs of purple in an hour.
    The local dealer in Humboldt is Trim Scene Solutions 707-223-3873 They are the local experts on these machines. They can get you anyone you want but they only recommend the Tumbleweed. They have seen them all and this is the one they recommend and rent out.

Phukovsky is offline Registered

The Twister

The Rolling Thunder basically looks like a knockoff of the Tumbleweed/Samurai. I'm with the company that manufactures The Twister Machine, so I just wanted to throw it out there as an alternative to the other leaf trimming machines.
    Rolling Thunder Trimmer-belt-side-final.jpgRolling Thunder Trimmer-machine-vac-final.jpg
    We think our trimmer is better built and more reliable than any leaf trimmer on the market. Here's a video that shows what it can do. If you guys have any questions, let me know here or on our site. Thx.

weedshooter is offline Registered
    these trimmers are all pretty epic. i didn't realize they existed, but i guess it makes sense. are there other uses for these trimmers other than trimming meds?

Not sure about the others, but the Twister is designed for meds

Quote Originally Posted by Phukovsky View Post
    The Rolling Thunder basically looks like a knockoff of the Tumbleweed/Samurai. I'm with the company that manufactures The Twister Machine, so I just wanted to throw it out there as an alternative to the other leaf trimming machines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt side final.jpg 
Views:	5304 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	219358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	machine with vac final.jpg 
Views:	8162 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	219359
    We think our trimmer is better built and more reliable than any leaf trimmer on the market. Here's a video that shows what it can do. If you guys have any questions, let me know here or on our site. Thx.
    The Twister is pretty awesome. I am getting one and selling my Tumbleweed. They have really designed a much better machine. The Tumbleweed works okay till your blades get dull and then it doesn't work at all. The Twister has self sharpening blades that will never go dull.

Markass is offline Registered+
    I've always enjoyed trimming cannabis..it's a very peaceful activity to do..without a machine
    Pictures and information posted under this username are duplicated, and should in no way be taken seriously, as it is only a joke.(period)

Ron Paul is freedom

"If Tyranny and Oppression Come to this Land, it Will be in the Guise of Fighting a Foreign Enemy" - James Madison

"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

allinat420 is offline Registered
    Take it from someone with personal experience..someone who has dropped 15k...the twister just like the rests of those beasts is pure junk.

Waste of money.

Save your money and save your buds the termoil.

Your harvests will be heavier and higher quality if you dont get lazy.

I could go on and on..but just take my word...there are a couple company manufacturers hyping these things on the forums..and they all suck.

Cool

If anyone wants to buy used twister trimmer CT110 (latest version) cheap by the way message me.

I got it in store right now trying to sell on consignment.

Worthless junk.

But if anyone really wants one contact me first for one used only a few times.

You need to be really huge 100s of acres type to put all the work into your crop and then run it through this at the end just to be lazy.

You will see all bud bits in collection ben when your done.

And you will still need to do bunches of finish work on your buds to make them look descent and club worthy..doesnt save that much time.

Good for canada guys where trim quality doesnt seem to matter...leave those beasts in canada...

Plus promote american economy by giving good ole american boys trim work.
    Last edited by allinat420; Aug-16-2009 at 14:08.

What did you pay for your machine? Where did you buy it? What do you want for it? Did you follow the instructions posted on the Twisters blog about how to get the best results from the machine? I know that if I feed the Tumbleweed too fast the trim job is very poor. Also if If I don't big leaf enough before it goes in, I end up having to do a lot of cleanup after it comes through. I would not reccomend this kind of machine for any one with a small grow. There is a learning curve with these kinds of machines and I was very frustrated the first time I used it too. It has it's limits and yes, you won't trim 10lbs per hour unless you have BC Bud that can look like shit. But we are able to get 2-3 lbs per hour with 4 people big leafing and get it to look as good as hand trimmed. Of course it needs a little clean up after it is dry but we are talking about a couple minutes to clean up a lb vs a whole day. What do you want for your machine? I am not able to send private messages.

You will see all bud bits in collection ben when your done.

What do you mean by this comment? Are you talking about in the collection bag on the vacuum? It really shreds the shake up but I don't think I am losing any buds into there because the machine trims a lot smaller buds than most hand trimmers would bother with. That seems to be one of the things it does best on is the very small buds.

greensticks is offline Registered
    What store is it in? How much? I already own a thunder and want a second machine. Would be happy to take it off your hands for cheap. Took me awhile to figure it out, but now I will never go back.

Where? How much?

And what comes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by greensticks View Post
    What store is it in? How much? I already own a thunder and want a second machine. Would be happy to take it off your hands for cheap. Took me awhile to figure it out, but now I will never go back.

Where? How much?
    How do you like your Rolling Thunder? Do you have one of the old blue ones or the new red one? I have been using a Tumbleweed for a while and I am getting a Twister in a couple weeks. It also took me a while to get used to the new process but like you said, You can never go back.

i don't understand why you guys can't send me a private message if your really interested in buying my machine...get your messaging ability banned somehow? If your interested in my twister message me with an offer 12k or higher and i will consider it. Greensticks where did you come from all of a sudden?

The problem I had is when you research one of these large rotary trimmers on the web you cant get any honest feedback..and the feedback you do get on these forums seems to come from those who make the machines or those who sell them.

So thats how i ended up buying a machine based on forum hype that did not live up to expectations...all these machines...rolling thunder, samurai, twister, centurion, green machine, etc all seem to have copied the same design. THe problem is the design eats the nodes off the buds and tumbles the buds around thousands of times destroying crystals and does not even deliver a nice finished product. Imagine sticking your buds in a large rock tumbler...and let them circle around that for a few minutes banging around the cylinder. The collector bag on the vacum assembly is where i found bud bits..as well as along side the blades and on the floor under the machine. Its obvious this machine is not good for strains with nodes....like humboltlocal said...good for large grows...and probably outdoor.

And the claims that all the big growers in humbolt etc is using these rotary machines is BS...these machines have been around for years and i bet not many people on these boards have ever seen one..you see trim pros everywhere..and everyone knows that trimpros do a mediocre job..but atleast they dont cost 15k. I think it would be fair if only people who have bought and used these machines review them on these forums..otherwise we obv get a biased review. I think its obv that most of the reviewers on the various forums out there are selling the machines...they are building a web presence..but when is high times or some reputable reviewer going to review one of these? Why havent we seen a write up if the machine is so revolutionary and has been around 3 years? If the only thing you can dig up when you research is forum hype...you can fall into a twisted and turning trap...and come out mangled.
    Last edited by allinat420; Aug-17-2009 at 02:49.

Quote Originally Posted by allinat420 View Post
    Greensticks where did you come from all of a sudden?
    No offence Bro, but you joined the same day I did and your post total isn't that substantial.

I don't usually frequent the forums but I was interested in this topic. I tried to pm you but it keeps giving me a error that I needed to fill in the body of the message (which I did of course). Your right, this style can trim the nodes sometimes on certain strains but I am not too concerned with that. I have had hand trimmers who were more abusive. I am seriously interested in buying it. What area is it in and what comes with it?

Humboldt local.... I have the Red Thunder and it is working good now. I had several problems with it in the beginning but they fixed them for me. I am scared to touch any of the adjustments now that it is working.

What kinds of problems have you had with the Rolling Thunder? I had heard of the earlier machines barrels warping.
    I don't know where to go to send a private message. I thought I didn't have enough posts to send a PM. That is how it is on other forums.
    I agree that you would have to have a strain with lots of nodes sticking out to get your buds that hacked. I have run a lot of purple through the machine with great results but it is a very round, uniform strain with a high calyx to leaf ratio. The best info there is on how to run your trim machine is on the Twisters blog.
    Tips on How Best to Use a Leaf Trimming Machine|The Twister Blog
    By following those instructions we have had very good results. Before we read that we had a hard time with the machine. Some of the mistakes we were making were, harvesting and letting the weed sit around for hours before running it through the machine and running the weed through the machine too quick.
    These machines are not a miracle cure for trimmers but with a little clean up after it is dry you cant tell the difference between hand trimmed and machine. The only way I have done any damage to any of the weed I have run through is by spraying too much pam on the blades and having a little get on some of the buds.
    No offense to anyone on this forum but it seems to be made up of a lot of small growers and people just getting their feet wet. All of the forums seem this way. How many big growers actually post their shit on here. I know many growers here in Humboldt that are using these machines and most of them don't own a computer and would never look at or post on a site like this if they did. The big timers are working not surfing the web.
    Like I said before these machines are not for small timers. But plenty of people do have the demand for this. Any one that has ever run a big trim party knows that it is not a party at all.

I too can not pm. I tried to follow some users profiles outside the forum to send them a message but it would not work. Maybe someone can shed some light.

If it works better for you "allinat420", PM me and we can talk.

One other thing...... If you hate the machine so much....why are you bad mouthing it and then trying to sell it. Not much of a sales pitch!

As for my thunder problems.... It came to us making a loud racket. Got it fixed. Then we took it apart to clean it and the noise came back. We tried adjusting it but it was a pain so we had it fixed again. I know what you are talking about with the blue machines. A friend had one and it was brutal. Well, it worked to some degree but had some major design flaws. Its kind of like a Pinto compared to some of the new ones.

[QUOTE= Its kind of like a Pinto compared to some of the new ones.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about the Tumbleweed after seeing the Twister in my buddys store. I felt like I was looking at a Ferrari and I was driving a prius.

allinat420,

Sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with your Twister leaf trimmer. One of the most common responses we get from retailers/end-users is that the Twister is definitely NOT like all the other 'rotary trimmers' out there. We spent considerable time developing and testing it to ensure that the Twister wasn't 'junk' but very high quality. So it's unfortunate that you haven't had a very positive experience using it. We invite you to call (1-888-254-3204) or email (info@thetwistermachine.com) us so that we can try to assist you in getting it to work properly - because I can assure you that, while you're right to state that the Twister isn't for everybody, the general consensus among our customers is that this thing really does work well.

Also, I agree with you that it would be great if more end-users posted in forums with their opinions (good or bad) about the Twister (or any of the other trimmers). You're right: these types of machines have been around for a few years now, and acceptance has been a little slower than one would have hoped (likely due to the higher cost). With more people discussing them publicly and trading information about what works and what doesn't, everyone will benefit. So thanks for speaking out, and hopefully we'll hear from you soon.

Hey Phukovsky,
    That is pretty cool of you to come on here and offer this guy help. You don't see many manufacturers stepping up like that. I have seen tons of threads on forums with people bashing the TrimPros but you never see a manufacturer offering any advice or help. So did this guy call you to get some advice?

Thanks for the reply,

The only problem is i tried calling the number 3x before i bought and after i bought and no one picked up..I also sent one email and never got reply. You guys really sound nice now..problem is i already went pubic with my grievance...really sorry..esp since you guys seem to be relying on forum activity for all your business.... Has any one out there had experience with once of these rotary machines they can share? It seems unbelievable to me that only one guy seems to be posting the same review on alot of these cannibus sites...where are all the end users? Humboltlocal said first the samurai and lately the twister is being used all over humbolt...Dont they got internet in those parts?

We could discuss here if you could identify problem..but i think fundamental design is flawed.

All these have a giant lawnmower blade..and i believe The twiser trimmer uses a toro lawnmower blade (literally)...and it runs across a grate with a powerful suction created by an off the shelf dust collector. All these rotary trimmers have this same fundamental design. Thats why there are so many immitators..it can be literally built in a garage. Have you seen the quality out of china lately? I really regret i didnt wait for china to reproduce one of these...because if canada company can do it for 15k china company can do it for 2k...truth. Obv there is no copyright on this design.

But i am wondering if the design is that good to start with. When i open the plastic collection bag from the duct collector apparatus the debris is mostly bud and just a little leaf...this thing shaves a lot of bud when it does its thing. The buds are run through what looks like a giant rock tumbler and they are shaved to a cylinder shape...whether they naturally were meant to look that way or not. The problem with that is that even if it is shaving a pound off a 10 pound run..that means the trim is costing just in loss more than its worth. And its not like the thing is just stick the plant in laborless which you could expect for 15k...it does take a lot of labor, to buck and process the plant, to run it through and then do a manual clean up run. This thing is not automatic..the twister website recommends an ideal setup to be 6 guys.

For example, this thing does not shave down the stems for you..and any stem you leave comes off looking mangled where it is totally obvious to any end user that this thing was not cut by hand.

So after you consider all the hours you need to just use this machine..and the fact you are losing a lot of finished product through the process..i have come to the conclusion that i am better off doing by hand every time. Even if i have to churn through a hellish job just with me and 2 guys...according to twister website it takes 6 guys to operate twister in ideal situation..i cant come up with 6 guys anyway.

And thats why i am selling the machine..i know there is no adjustment thats going to fix the fact that i am getting a ton of bud bits in my collection back..in short this thing is hacking the F**k out of my precious buds.

These machines look amazing to watch on you tube...and i fear that is what the original design was meant to do. They really do have a lot of wow factor.

I believe the twister guys have perfected the design as much as it can be perfected..the problem is in the loss of material and the loss of quality simply isnt worth it. Why put all the time into making a good procuct only to get lazy at end..it doesnt make sense.

Best advice i can give is wait for someone to produce this thing in china..end user price 2k....
    Last edited by allinat420; Aug-20-2009 at 01:27.

Can you tell me what store it is in so I can possibly go see it to buy it? And what comes with it? I was hoping to make this happen asap.

allinat420,

I'll break my response into two parts, because it seems that (a) you have legitimate questions/criticisms regarding the design of rotary trimmers themselves, and (b) you've purchased a Twister and are unhappy with the product/service you have received. I'll respond to the latter first:

We manufacture the Twister and distribute it to retail hydroponic shops across North America. We do not sell to the end-user; never have, never will. So I can only assume that you bought your Twister from one of the four retailers listed on our web site. Seeing as though you tried to contact us for information before/after your purchase, it would appear that the retailer was not very helpful in providing you with information during your purchase. That is unfortunate, as we provide all our retailers with full instruction and information regarding the Twister's operation. Did you contact the retailer after your purchase to voice your concern? Did the store offer you any help? If not, we would appreciate it if you could PM (or email) the retailer's name (or the machine's serial number) so that we can ensure future customers have a better experience.

Speaking of customer experience/service, as stated, we don't sell to the end-user and so typically our retailers handle all customer inquiries. When an end-user does contact us, we determine which retailer is best able to help that customer and then send him there. As we have a fully staffed office, while not impossible, it is unusual that we missed your four phone calls and one email. If this is indeed the case, we apologize for the lapse in service and, once again, we invite you to call or email so that we may try to rectify the situation as best we can.

Regarding forums and where our business comes from: we do not sell to the end-user and thus do not spend much time on forums (As an aside: The vast majority of people who purchase and use the Twister are medium to large scale growers who do not frequent forums either - possibly due to paranoia or the fact that they have their system dialed in and do not need forum advice. The majority of people who need or use our trimmer will not advertise such. Yet I can tell you that we are seeing a trend in repeat customers who are buying additional machines without ever seeing our website.). The majority of our business currently comes from offline marketing strategies (I don't know of too many hydroponics store owners who have the time or desire to hang out in forums). With that being said, it would be foolish of us to neglect entirely the discussions going on about trimmers in general, and the Twister in particular. As stated previously, we feel we have a quality product that we believe in 100% - and so when someone such as yourself voices a concern, we want to address it as best we can (If the manufacturer of a product I was unhappy with chimed in and offered to help every time I made a forum post, I'd be thrilled ).

Lastly, were you able to sell your machine? If you're not interested in getting further advice from us or your retailer, then we'd certainly be interested in buying the machine back. You said it's only been used a couple times? I assume then that it's still in near perfect condition? Some of our retailers have orders that they're currently having a hard time filling and so I'm sure we can find a good home for your trimmer. Once again, I invite you to email/call/PM us, and we can work out a deal to take it off your hands.

Now, hopefully I can address some of your concerns.

You sound like you are the first person you know to acquire this style of trimmer. That can make it hard to overcome all the new techniques you have to learn. Especially, when you don't have the support of friends with similar trimmers or access to vast amounts of online content (This is, in part, why we try to equip our retailers with as much knowledge as possible). It can take a few runs to get your system worked out and to get a feel for how to best operate it. There are many variables such as strain, indoor or outdoor, size of plant, health of plant, location and temperature of job site, experience of trimmers/buckers etc. It makes it difficult to provide a user's guide for all these conditions (all of which have a solution). But forums like this are a great place for people to share these experiences and tips.

The ideal amount of people for maximum speed and quality is 6. However, the entire process can be done with one person and often is by some of our customers. You can buck and drop it straight into the hopper doing the whole process yourself. The reason 6 people is ideal is because 4 good quality buckers are needed to keep pace with the machine. Less than that and the machine is not going to be at maximum output. This is ideal for people with very large jobs. For smaller jobs, less people is perfectly fine. You can reduce this number to 4 if you buck directly into the machine and do not have a person on the output doing quality control.

As for the blade, you are correct in stating that our blade is similar to a high end lawnmower blade as you can see on the pictures from our website. However, our blade is neither a Toro blade nor a blade used in any lawnmowers (No offense to Toro, because they do make some great high end products). Our blades were designed for the Twister to give the closest cut possible while ensuring long life and sharpness.

In regards to your concerns that the machine shaves a lot of bud off, well, this is the first time we have had this complaint - and frankly we're almost pleasantly surprised to hear it. In the beginning, the complaint was always that power trimmers did not cut close enough. We have worked very hard getting the Twister tolerances as precise as possible, allowing for the closest cut possible. This close shave can be lengthened by an adjustment at either end of the tumbler. In regards to you seeing bud pieces in the vacuum bag, we must say, this sounds very odd and is also a complaint that we've never had before. These pieces must be are very, very small. We are going to assume you must have a strain with very long nodes smaller in width than 1/4 inch (tumbler opening size). We can see this being a possible problem and we believe we have a solution if you would like to discuss it through private email (info@TheTwisterMachine.com). We are aware that our machine has not been tested with every possible strain on the market but many, many have been tested. Certain growing conditions can also have an effect on producing long nodes.

We will post a link at the bottom of this message to a you tube video showing the small size of bud the Twister will trim (these are dried). As you will see they are much smaller than a penny. This is one of the many benefits our customers rave about. These are typically buds that are low on the plant or receive small amounts of light and can be somewhat airy. These tiny buds are very often overlooked or not trimmed by hand because of the time involved. The Twister will plow through these in seconds. These tiny buds quickly add up and help to recover the cost of the machine by themselves.

You mentioned before that the machine is loud and you tube videos you saw had music playing to cover up the sound. As you know, the machine itself is actually very quiet but we have no intention of trying to hide the fact the vacuum is loud. Regardless, we did not create those videos, so we can't speak to them. However, there are many clever ways our customers who are concerned with noise from the vacuum have covered it up. We can offer ideas for this too if you like.

As for the stems, this is another area we wish we had the opportunity to give you some advice. It takes a few runs but you will discover what size stems the machine will trim and won't. Typically large top flowers will not have their stems trimmed properly by the machine because they tend to roll lengthwise down the tumbler. That is why many end users cut those flowers from the stem with scissors instead of bucking them by hand and then feeding them into the machine. Some of our customers do all the bucking with scissors to ensure they have very short perfect stems. This is not typically necessary but many people have the experience with scissors that is easily transferable. If it took you 45 snips of scissors to trim an average flower (just a example) and only one snip with scissors to cut the flower off the stem and drop it in the machine, it is still 44 snips quicker if you choose to use scissors while bucking. And 44 snips less than it would take by hand. Multiply this by a few thousand and it quickly adds up.

We can assure you that the Twister was not built out of a garage (although we agree that there are some trimmers available that look like they were). In the end, each consumer has the option of buying what they feel matches them the best. You happened to pick the Bentley of trimmers and good on you. We are disappointed you had a less than perfect experience and hope that one day you give it a second chance.

Like I said above, feel free to email us and we would be more than happy to get you on the path to efficient quality trimming.

YouTube - Tiny medical marijuana buds

We have some videos planned that also may give you some insight. I will see if they can film the whole process including a shot of inside the collection bag in one take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast