Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By stinkyattic
  • 1 Post By Markass
  • 1 Post By Haywriedpoet
  • 1 Post By ButchieYost2001

Thread: Identifying a strain by bud or plant pics

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor

Identifying a strain by bud or plant pics

'Can someone identify this?' is an almost daily question here and I'd like to give some info about strain ID.

It's very difficult to even GUESS what strain something is by a picture, and nearly impossible to get it right. Beware anyone who claims they can look at a picture of a plant or bud and say confidently that is 'fire ass purple haze dro yo'. It just can't be done.

Bud ID:
    This is the hardest of all. Frankly, most buds look like... buds!!! Bricked weed is COMPLETELY impossible to ID, and the strains that are run on a large scale in tropical brick producing areas are just not going to be readily available to the public as seed, and may not even bear a name at all. Non- bricked weed is also impossible to ID; while sometimes it's easy to say what it ISN'T, saying what it IS is jsut not going to happen! Knowing color, flavor, structure, and effect can sometimes narrow down the possibilities, but that's as far as it goes.

Plant ID:
    While there are some strains that grow in very distinctive ways, like ducksfoot, Aussie Bastard Hemp, OGK 'abusive', Soma's Rock Bud and Lavender, Maple Leafed Indica, and a very short list of others, most plants are impossible to identify beyond saying 'that plant has an indica-leaning structure' or 'that looks like a landrace sativa'. To even get to the point where you can say this, the plant must be solidly vegging, at least a month old. Even then, there's little point.

So FYI before you post a thread asking to ID a strain by a blurry picture of some crumbled buds... don't be so hung up on strain names. Be happy that you have some nice cannabis to smoke and enjoy!

tlranger, Aliens and ILgrower420 like this.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

angry nomad is offline Registered+
    Everyone wants to say they have headdies. I just scored a bag from someone new, and the buds didn't look like what I am used to. I thought it was dirt weed. I think it's outdoor or soil grown. Anyway, it's some pretty dank shit for the price.
    A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for legalization. Ron Paul 2008 for President of the U.S!

wickerbill is offline Registered+

Well said

Thanks for pointing out what is obvious to most experienced growers/users. I for one am fed up with so called "experts" who know by smell,taste, or sight what strain, or (my favorite) what combination of strains make up the current stash. A rose by any other name will smell as sweet so is the same for good bud

Weedhound is offline Registered+
    wicker.....you cannot tell which five types of mj make up a bud by looking at it??

PS...Love the fire ass purple haze dro yo.....
    Haze(y) Grow Log:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-grow-log.html

"Your deeds show your character."-StinkyAttic

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    When you see someone saying "yeah, that's purple haze" or "Thats white widow man!" you know they have NO idea what they're talking about. Most of them have probably never even grown, let alone had any of the strains they THINK they have.

KickYoAss is offline Registered+
    Yeah, it seems like no matter which of my homegrown strains, that I show to this one guy, is always the same exact strain his buddy's guy grows once in a while. Not only is it impossible, but it's insulting to humanity. His jaw drops, and he says the name of it, and I want to punch him in the mouth.
    All information posted by user "KickYoAss" is purely fictional, and is not to be taken seriously.

hoghuntr76 is offline Registered+
    there are so many different strains of cannabis out there I dont even know why people (unless you grew it) try to give it a name.. this guy I know always calls and says he got all these exotic strains when all I see around town is the same ole' stuff. But it is kind of amusing to hear all about all these so called strains he smokes.. hahaha

Markass is offline Registered+
    I'm glad this was finally posted...I give it a 10
    Shovelhandle likes this.
    Pictures and information posted under this username are duplicated, and should in no way be taken seriously, as it is only a joke.(period)

Ron Paul is freedom

"If Tyranny and Oppression Come to this Land, it Will be in the Guise of Fighting a Foreign Enemy" - James Madison

"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

ganjzilla is offline Registered+
    thank you stinky this was a well needed sticky...im soooo tired of seeing these thigns and then those of us who actually know a thing or two about cannabis have to explain to these people thats damn near impossible for us to tell them
    "I take 3 L's to the head-love,live,life..and im dead" -Lil Wayne

“Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Robert Nesta Marley

You got it Light it, lets raise our spliffs in the air and let us join as one Cannabis Nation,where all smokers can be free to live our lives without interference.Activism is the key, every person counts... - Me ]

thecreator is offline Registered+
    It is and I love your disposition on the subject matter. I haven't grown much but i hope to change that in the near future. I'd love to be among the smoking elite if you catch my drift......One love Mates!
    Cannabis reveals a gateway unto the soul taking you on a spiritual venture through your very core. Your existence is often challenged and emerging out of the dark wood unscathed and in current mindset says you want to be here to a certain extent. So lets make the best of it and try to master the world around us, as ever changing as it may be.

bluntmaster430 is offline Registered+
    i agree. it is REALLY hard to tell just by a pic. its even hard for me to tell when im holding it and smokin it
    An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.....
    V.A.

Everything picture and description i have posted has been taken from another source. No information posted by this user or IP address is of my own work. thanks

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...other-4-a.html

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-may-20-a.html

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ite-widow.html

MVP
    MVP is offline Registered+

fire ass purple haze dro yo X super skunk

Ever see that fire ass purple haze dro yo X super skunk?

Check it out, its pretty distinctive, even to an untrained eye:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Identifying a strain by bud or plant pics-skunk.jpg  

hreskofreight4 is offline Registered+
    amen stinky

sam111 is offline Banned
    i have a question for the experts what strain would you recomend for a sea of green cultivation

smokenss is offline Registered+
    mvp: thats a good one.
    if i were to buy seed witch strain would b best for ainti-enzity ? (cant spell)

Haywriedpoet is offline Registered
    a whole 1/8 to someone who ID's this strain!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...dCrystalHD.jpg
    rudolfskis likes this.

OahuLocal is offline Registered+
    Oh Oh is it grand daddy purps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    Dude, don't call sweet innocent mary jane your bitch. It's the other way around.

hippygirl420 is offline Registered+
    for the anti-anxiety you want strawberry cough very nice shaped buds with the essense of orange and pink hues

hippygirl420 is offline Registered+
    as far as the sea of green method i would definetly use a indica, one that you know only grows about 2 or three feet max. ive heard top 44 and lowrider make a good sog but i dont know about the poetency. my next switch is going sog and ive got blueberry and bubblegum. good luck

ButchieYost2001 is offline Registered+

Talking Strain?!?!?

I have no idea what I am growing.... i was given 2 ugly, mal-nurished clones and went from there. unless this is a full time job for you, who cares about the name, its a "hobby". Im glad just to watch the wonders of nature happen in my closet!!
    Geek likes this.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    This thread is getting way off topic. I'm gonna go ahead and lock it.
    If you have strain questions or grow Qs, take them over to the cultivation section.
    Thanks.