Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Social Anxiety Disorder

  1. #1
    LazySmoking420's Avatar
    LazySmoking420 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-17-2006
    Posts
    849

    Social Anxiety Disorder

    "Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged and criticized by others. Many people are uneasy with shyness in others, especially in cultures which value individuality and taking charge."

    This disorder has pleged my entire adolescence and early adulthood life, Being the shy guy..has really effected my soical life, obviously. Relationships, are what make life worth living... and it really kills you when you cant shake this anxiety. When I'm with my few good friends(life-long buddies), family. I'm super outgoing and social. But when you put me in an unknown group of people, or around females...I shut off. I want the relationship with the person but it becomes a forced thing...It cant just come "natural" because of my anxiety. "Why is your friend so quite?"... I see men walking around with beautiful girlfriends.. I want that..kind of relationship so badly you can taste it... but to get that you gotta speak up. The anxiety has a hold around my balls and wont let go...It just wont.. People say man, Just get over it and lighten up...as if social anxiety disorder was a light switch that one could turn on and off. If I could I would...it's not that easy.

    This of course has lead to some major depression, Which has lead to alcohol to numb the pain.. alcohol-depression go hand in hand... I've been down some dark roads with that evil tonic. I'm just know getting off the souce and trying to face my problems head on.

    Sorry for the post, Just had to get some stuff off my chest. Now it's time to face the world...either they accept or reject me, I can only be me...

    Good day.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, Gets rid of the pain of being a MAN".
    -Samuel Johnson

  2. #2
    Caduceo is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-01-2007
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by LazySmoking420 View Post
    "Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged and criticized by others. Many people are uneasy with shyness in others, especially in cultures which value individuality and taking charge."

    This disorder has pleged my entire adolescence and early adulthood life, Being the shy guy..has really effected my soical life, obviously. Relationships, are what make life worth living... and it really kills you when you cant shake this anxiety. When I'm with my few good friends(life-long buddies), family. I'm super outgoing and social. But when you put me in an unknown group of people, or around females...I shut off. I want the relationship with the person but it becomes a forced thing...It cant just come "natural" because of my anxiety. "Why is your friend so quite?"... I see men walking around with beautiful girlfriends.. I want that..kind of relationship so badly you can taste it... but to get that you gotta speak up. The anxiety has a hold around my balls and wont let go...It just wont.. People say man, Just get over it and lighten up...as if social anxiety disorder was a light switch that one could turn on and off. If I could I would...it's not that easy.

    This of course has lead to some major depression, Which has lead to alcohol to numb the pain.. alcohol-depression go hand in hand... I've been down some dark roads with that evil tonic. I'm just know getting off the souce and trying to face my problems head on.

    Sorry for the post, Just had to get some stuff off my chest. Now it's time to face the world...either they accept or reject me, I can only be me...

    Good day.

    I am like that if I am not high enough. I am 60% hard of hearing, which makes it hard to hear people coming from behind me or from the side, obviously. Anyways my stepdad would always make a mission of catching me whacking off. when he did he'd throw me in my room and gut every last bit of anything that could be possibly entertaining, and keep me there for about 3 months at a time. I would come out only for hours of manual labor. I had no friends and I still don't have any, but with weed I can get through social situations happily.
    cannabis is truly transformative and its helping me forget that horrible thing and a whole host of others. I am only 21 still, hopefully lots of life ahead of me

    oh, the reason for this post is that I suffer from a similiar malady, just for different reasons.

  3. #3
    mrdevious's Avatar
    mrdevious is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-31-2004
    Posts
    2,907
    You pretty much described me in a nutshell lazysmoking420, or at least how I was. I know how it is, you feel like if you reveal anything personal about yourself, especially romantic feelings for someone, you're opening up a vulnerable wound and preparing for the person to pour salt in it.

    I have (recently) about 80% gotten over my SAD, and I believe you can too. Believe me, mine was just as bad. I lived 4 years in total social reclusion with no friends, and while I could be myself around my old time friends from out of town, I was terrified of meeting new people or having a conversation. I think a large part of it is that is not having that natural social instinct, knowing how to make chit-chat. There's also the fear of saying the wrong thing, I would often say one thing then repeat it in my head a hundred times, thinking of all the different ways I could and should have said it.

    The reason I did get over it, the reason you can get over it too, is the following.

    1. I forced myself to go with my friends to social events, with strangers, and go through the intense discomfort and resist the urge to run out the door and go somewhere alone. Practice practice practice, it's all about conditioning the mind.

    2. Keep your breathing in mind, and keep the breaths slow and deep.

    3. Socialize with new people mixed with your familiar group, so all the talking doesn't fall on your shoulders.

    4. This is the biggest one, the one that totally changed my social outlook and feelings. I finally decided to socialize after taking some of that special bud. You know, the bud that's just so wonderful you're in a state of ecstasy. The one where you just wanna eat Mango's Doughnuts Mandarines and Apples. Don't make it a habbit, just use this special bud as a tool once or twice. You'll finally get that perspective on socializing where you can relax.
    The Bahm likes this.
    "Nirvana is the extinction of self" - Buddha

  4. #4
    Polymirize's Avatar
    Polymirize is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-24-2005
    Posts
    1,162
    Part of the bias in society I suppose. Someday we'll rise up and overthrow those tyrannical extroverts.
    If you claim to have never seen swag that's probably because you're smoking it.

  5. #5
    Headin2KONA is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-23-2007
    Posts
    24

    !

    I honestly used to have the same problem..during high school..but I believe it to be nothing more than lack of conditioning of the mind..as MrDevious said...if you take yourself away from the social pressures of life for too long, or never delve too deeply into it in the first place..you'll be untrained and anxiety will spark....you can get over it though, but first you need to build self confidence..once you've established that just put yourself in as many akward situations as you can...what I did was get a job as a waiter at a restaurant..I thought there was no way I could do it but for me it only took 2 tables before I was comfortable...it happened that quickly...

    so for the rambling but to recap..
    1) get comfortable with yourself (through working out..whatever)
    2) put yourself around people and get used to how it is

    You wonder why you're comfortable around your family and no one else..it's cause you've been with your family your whole life..it's all conditioning
    The Bahm likes this.

  6. #6
    M1K3's Avatar
    M1K3 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-05-2007
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymirize View Post
    Part of the bias in society I suppose. Someday we'll rise up and overthrow those tyrannical extroverts.
    And one day the meek shall inherit the earth.

  7. #7
    MegaOctane12's Avatar
    MegaOctane12 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-03-2006
    Posts
    725
    Some intelligent insights and some very simplistic, logical, advice. Its ironic because the last place anyone would look for such understanding on a topic like this would be a drugs forum, I mean I belong to a social anxiety website and so many people there get it so wrong, and I come here and eveything you need to get over social anxiety and the core mechanics behind it are right up there in the posts above.

    Like already mentioned, getting over social anxiety requires repetition of neutral, realistic, rational information which creates new neural pathways in the brain. CBT for those that don't know is just a form of conditioning yourself to think differently and inturn effects behaviour and the way you feel, it dosen't change who you are however, if anything it enables you to be who you are more freely around people without limitation. What it does is lessen irrational thoughts, teaches you to react to what's actually there, and not listen to totally irrational fear.

    Also, I've never taken estacy but I sure as hell want to try it

  8. #8
    MegaOctane12's Avatar
    MegaOctane12 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr-03-2006
    Posts
    725
    I've just realised I can't say that on these boards so delete the last part if you need to, my bad

  9. #9
    Trip06's Avatar
    Trip06 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug-11-2006
    Posts
    861
    If anybody dosent get a lot of social contact there going to be off. I was a loner as a kid so I pretty much stuck to myself. Now being older (21) Im still quiet but socialable. Things that sucked when I was young, when people like baby you or are afraid your a nut. It is just a matter of getting over ones self but embarassing when people do that to you.

  10. #10
    The Colonel's Avatar
    The Colonel is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-30-2006
    Posts
    866
    "there will come a time when everybody who is lonely will be free to sing and dance and love"

  11. #11
    Antihero867's Avatar
    Antihero867 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct-23-2006
    Posts
    165
    Dude i used to have that same problem. And i really feel for you. But recentley i have been turning my life completly around and its because of one thing. The Secret! It has completly changed my life. The secret is a book about the law of attraction. And it has been made into the DVD. Ive seen the DVD and want to read the book. Its verry good. Its kinda a tough concept to swollow at first but when you stick to it you will eventually get it. You can check out their web site at Law of Attraction :: The Secret :: Official Web Site of The Secret Movie, And It will change your life if you are willing to accept it. Or you can read a book called "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles. This is the book that the secret was based off of. Try it out dude. If you stick to it i guarentee success. But you have to stick to it. And it takes time.
    The Bahm and Growrefcheck like this.
    "Prohibition cannot be enforced for the simple reason that the majority of American People do not want it enforced and are resiting its enforcement! That means so, the orderly thing to do, under our form of government, is to abolish a law which cannot be enforced. A law in which the people of the country do not want enforced!"

    -Fiorello La Guardia (former Mayer of New York) 1937.

    "Legalization Now, Legalization Tomorrow, and Legalization Forever!"
    -Clifford Thornton


  12. #12
    affasd is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2006
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdevious View Post
    You pretty much described me in a nutshell lazysmoking420, or at least how I was. I know how it is, you feel like if you reveal anything personal about yourself, especially romantic feelings for someone, you're opening up a vulnerable wound and preparing for the person to pour salt in it.

    I have (recently) about 80% gotten over my SAD, and I believe you can too. Believe me, mine was just as bad. I lived 4 years in total social reclusion with no friends, and while I could be myself around my old time friends from out of town, I was terrified of meeting new people or having a conversation. I think a large part of it is that is not having that natural social instinct, knowing how to make chit-chat. There's also the fear of saying the wrong thing, I would often say one thing then repeat it in my head a hundred times, thinking of all the different ways I could and should have said it.

    The reason I did get over it, the reason you can get over it too, is the following.

    1. I forced myself to go with my friends to social events, with strangers, and go through the intense discomfort and resist the urge to run out the door and go somewhere alone. Practice practice practice, it's all about conditioning the mind.

    2. Keep your breathing in mind, and keep the breaths slow and deep.

    3. Socialize with new people mixed with your familiar group, so all the talking doesn't fall on your shoulders.

    4. This is the biggest one, the one that totally changed my social outlook and feelings. I finally decided to socialize after taking some of that special bud. You know, the bud that's just so wonderful you're in a state of ecstasy. The one where you just wanna eat Mango's Doughnuts Mandarines and Apples. Don't make it a habbit, just use this special bud as a tool once or twice. You'll finally get that perspective on socializing where you can relax.
    man i have the same problems as you and i can say i completely agree with mrdevious about the "special bud". it seriously is a great tool for people like us with bad social anciety, it will really help you open up. Many therapists in the 80s when this bud was first being harvested realized how valuable tool it was for this, but once again the government had to fuck it up. Seriously man you just need to get some of this bud and go out with your close friends and go to a nice concert, preferably a jam band cause all the people are very friendly there and everyons happy and just enjoying the music, i guarantee you youll have a great time and meet a bunch of new friends, and then youll realize how easy it really is...at least that helped for me......and i still have social anxiety but since the first time i tried it i have slowly but surely getting better at social situations and metting new people

    ....
    ... ...

    smoke weed all day

  13. #13
    jdmarcus59's Avatar
    jdmarcus59 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-20-2007
    Posts
    563

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by LazySmoking420 View Post
    "Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged and criticized by others. Many people are uneasy with shyness in others, especially in cultures which value individuality and taking charge."

    This disorder has pleged my entire adolescence and early adulthood life, Being the shy guy..has really effected my soical life, obviously. Relationships, are what make life worth living... and it really kills you when you cant shake this anxiety. When I'm with my few good friends(life-long buddies), family. I'm super outgoing and social. But when you put me in an unknown group of people, or around females...I shut off. I want the relationship with the person but it becomes a forced thing...It cant just come "natural" because of my anxiety. "Why is your friend so quite?"... I see men walking around with beautiful girlfriends.. I want that..kind of relationship so badly you can taste it... but to get that you gotta speak up. The anxiety has a hold around my balls and wont let go...It just wont.. People say man, Just get over it and lighten up...as if social anxiety disorder was a light switch that one could turn on and off. If I could I would...it's not that easy.

    This of course has lead to some major depression, Which has lead to alcohol to numb the pain.. alcohol-depression go hand in hand... I've been down some dark roads with that evil tonic. I'm just know getting off the souce and trying to face my problems head on.

    Sorry for the post, Just had to get some stuff off my chest. Now it's time to face the world...either they accept or reject me, I can only be me...

    Good day.
    I would rather be hated for who I,AM.then loved for who I,am not

  14. #14
    mrdevious's Avatar
    mrdevious is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-31-2004
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmarcus59 View Post
    I would rather be hated for who I,AM.then loved for who I,am not
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "Nirvana is the extinction of self" - Buddha

  15. #15
    Trip06's Avatar
    Trip06 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug-11-2006
    Posts
    861
    Oh and If you do extasy to become more socailable and open, keep in mind your pupils will be diolated, you'll be acting like a fairy, and people will know your on something. -from experience.

  16. #16
    mrdevious's Avatar
    mrdevious is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-31-2004
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip06 View Post
    Oh and If you do extasy to become more socailable and open, keep in mind your pupils will be diolated, you'll be acting like a fairy, and people will know your on something. -from experience.
    SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!


    (rules man)
    "Nirvana is the extinction of self" - Buddha

  17. #17
    bmxrider4450 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    May-08-2007
    Posts
    33
    what is a good strain to smoke for anxiety?

  18. #18
    experiencetalking is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Nov-25-2007
    Posts
    1

    You are not alone

    Quote Originally Posted by LazySmoking420 View Post
    "Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged and criticized by others. Many people are uneasy with shyness in others, especially in cultures which value individuality and taking charge."

    This disorder has pleged my entire adolescence and early adulthood life, Being the shy guy..has really effected my soical life, obviously. Relationships, are what make life worth living... and it really kills you when you cant shake this anxiety. When I'm with my few good friends(life-long buddies), family. I'm super outgoing and social. But when you put me in an unknown group of people, or around females...I shut off. I want the relationship with the person but it becomes a forced thing...It cant just come "natural" because of my anxiety. "Why is your friend so quite?"... I see men walking around with beautiful girlfriends.. I want that..kind of relationship so badly you can taste it... but to get that you gotta speak up. The anxiety has a hold around my balls and wont let go...It just wont.. People say man, Just get over it and lighten up...as if social anxiety disorder was a light switch that one could turn on and off. If I could I would...it's not that easy.

    This of course has lead to some major depression, Which has lead to alcohol to numb the pain.. alcohol-depression go hand in hand... I've been down some dark roads with that evil tonic. I'm just know getting off the souce and trying to face my problems head on.

    Sorry for the post, Just had to get some stuff off my chest. Now it's time to face the world...either they accept or reject me, I can only be me...

    Good day.
    Dear user,

    I understand where you are coming from. I hold the same anxiety. Social anxiety disorder. Many people do not understand why we with this avoid eye contact, lower ourselves, change character to assimilate, become that which we deep inside are not. We consider ourselves to be misunderstood, mis-interpreted characters who "creep" out others around us. The truth is, these are false ideas that we hold in our mind. I remember smoking marijuana and believing that the gift of insight was given to me, when in actual fact, they trully were in depth fantasies of what was not reality. No character goes so far as to dissect exactly what we sociophobes can. Disect and analyse to the point of exhaustion, yet, they are not true. The are internal ideations conjoured up by the paranoia that eats away at us. Grants us nothing but the loss of sleep, the desire to become reclusive, and the denial of the people that love us, and want nothing more than for us to be happy with ourselves. I wish all the best to those suffering with this. That they may seek the help they deserve, and finally be at piece with themselves. Please, if you have this disorder, do not smoke marijuana. It will only worsen the disorder. Peace and love,
    George
    The Bahm likes this.

  19. #19
    Innominate is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-21-2007
    Posts
    513
    It is not easy to get along with animals. People are ruthless, you have every reason to fear, but you have every opportunity to step through it.

    Don't believe you're obligated to fully-interact with society. It doesn't have to be a necessity if others believe so.

  20. #20
    whatdahell? is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Nov-24-2007
    Posts
    7
    i found the best way to deal with social anxiety disorder is to force yourself to into the "awkward" experiences and they will gradually get easier. i know because I had a huge problem with public speaking, and after about 3 years i have gotten over it. its not easy, and i have experienced relapses but it can be cured without prescripiton drugs or therapy

  21. #21
    Nailhead's Avatar
    Nailhead is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec-26-2006
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdevious View Post
    There's also the fear of saying the wrong thing, I would often say one thing then repeat it in my head a hundred times, thinking of all the different ways I could and should have said it.
    I do that too, and that scene in "Harold and Kumar" at the beginning with the guy thinking about talking to that girl in the elevator....oh my god that was probably the funniest scene from any movie for me because that's how I am every day lol

    I find this thread interesting because I have noticed that lately I have become more and more closed off to relationships. I've always been a quiet person, but lately I've been feeling more and more disconnected with my friends and family, and I know it isn't healthy. Shit, if it weren't for the internet I don't know what I would do in my free time lol

    I obviously can't speak as a success story, but I do think the best treatment is to force yourself into going out and spending time with friends or family, and if you don't have any friends, push yourself to talk to others despite how awkward it might feel.

    What I keep thinking about is the end result, I don't want to become that quiet 50 year old that lives by himself and his only life is when he leaves for work....basically that is me now only I'm still young so I just don't want to be close to death and at this same point! Just the thought of that is enough to push me to go for those awkward moments. It's weird because I want to say "don't worry about what others think about you", but I know that is of no help at all because I really don't care what anybody thinks about me, but I still have this problem. Perhaps it is a more sub-conscious issue that therapy could help, well, I'm sure of it, but I'm more afraid of calling a shrink than calling an old friend so I doubt I will ever seek professional help.

  22. #22
    expirator is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jan-25-2010
    Posts
    3

    THANK YOU ALL

    "Social anxiety disorder, also called social phobia, is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an excessive and unreasonable fear of social situations. Anxiety (intense nervousness) and self-consciousness arise from a fear of being closely watched, judged and criticized by others. Many people are uneasy with shyness in others, especially in cultures which value individuality and taking charge."

    This disorder has pleged my entire adolescence and early adulthood life, Being the shy guy..has really effected my soical life, obviously. Relationships, are what make life worth living... and it really kills you when you cant shake this anxiety. When I'm with my few good friends(life-long buddies), family. I'm super outgoing and social. But when you put me in an unknown group of people, or around females...I shut off. I want the relationship with the person but it becomes a forced thing...It cant just come "natural" because of my anxiety. "Why is your friend so quite?"... I see men walking around with beautiful girlfriends.. I want that..kind of relationship so badly you can taste it... but to get that you gotta speak up. The anxiety has a hold around my balls and wont let go...It just wont.. People say man, Just get over it and lighten up...as if social anxiety disorder was a light switch that one could turn on and off. If I could I would...it's not that easy.

    This of course has lead to some major depression, Which has lead to alcohol to numb the pain.. alcohol-depression go hand in hand... I've been down some dark roads with that evil tonic. I'm just know getting off the souce and trying to face my problems head on.

    Sorry for the post, Just had to get some stuff off my chest. Now it's time to face the world...either they accept or reject me, I can only be me...

    Good day.
    Thank you for your bravery, standing up for social anxious people everywhere, including me. I have had problems being addicted to drugs and MAJOR depression. I just was about to kill myself tonight, but marijuana saved my life. I am so socially anxious that I can't even share my thoughts with my own family. I would try to hold a normal conversation with even my brother. Part of this problem lies, in my "people pleaser" mentality. Instead of connecting the idea of what they are saying to experiences I've had in my past and responding in a way that has helped me personally solve the problem, I would just nod, or give a laugh that would try to disguise the fact that I felt SOO anxious and awkward that I couldn't work up the confidence to sustain the pressure put upon me by other individuals eye gazes. Marijuana helped me sustain this pressure from their eyes and their attentions being put on me to respond with something funny, interesting, or "real", for lack of a better word. With this ability to withstand the gaze of their eyes I was able to have meaningful conversations with my friends and my family and this hot Asian girl!!!! Well anyway, I was so depressed, I was just about to take a crapload of xanax, (which I obtained by lying to a psychiatrist to get the drug and to sell it for money) take a couple shots (which with xanax synthesize with because of the synergistic effect on the gaba recepter), and say goodbye.

    MY GOD THANK YOU WEED.

    what is a good strain to smoke for anxiety?
    I know a strain, the one I am smoking now. I however did not catch the name when I bought it from my friend. So, I will ask him!!! tomorrow I will edit this part of the post with the strain name.

    4. This is the biggest one, the one that totally changed my social outlook and feelings. I finally decided to socialize after taking some of that special bud. You know, the bud that's just so wonderful you're in a state of ecstasy. The one where you just wanna eat Mango's Doughnuts Mandarines and Apples. Don't make it a habbit, just use this special bud as a tool once or twice. You'll finally get that perspective on socializing where you can relax.
    Hey mrdevious, I agree with everything that you posted up until the last number (#4). I wouldn't recommend taking Mcdonalds Dentists to Make Aquaintances. Why? because in my personal experience, it has had some even more depressing side effects than are necessary. For example, marijuana is a good substitute. It cures my social anxiety (see above) and it doesn't make me too depressed after I come down (not that I wouldn't be depressed without the weed). Taking Mcdonalds Dentists to Make Aquaintances just does not seem like the best alternative when marijuana is available. Some people may say that one is more comfortable and socially inclined when taking Mcdonalds Dentists to Make Aquaintances, but from personal experience the learned social communication patterned while taking Mcdonalds Dentists to Make Aquaintances are less memorable than those of marijuana.

    Dude i used to have that same problem. And i really feel for you. But recentley i have been turning my life completly around and its because of one thing. The Secret! It has completly changed my life. The secret is a book about the law of attraction. And it has been made into the DVD. Ive seen the DVD and want to read the book. Its verry good. Its kinda a tough concept to swollow at first but when you stick to it you will eventually get it. You can check out their web site at Law of Attraction :: The Secret :: Official Web Site of The Secret Movie, And It will change your life if you are willing to accept it. Or you can read a book called "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles. This is the book that the secret was based off of. Try it out dude. If you stick to it i guarentee success. But you have to stick to it. And it takes time.
    Thanks for the tip about the movie / book that will give me the secret to the laws of attraction. I read the wikipedia to learn a little bit about the laws of attraction and I am going to buy the dvd from amazon. From what I have read however, I have found out that the laws of attraction are believing so hard that you can get something, focusing in on that thing, imagining that you have the thing (whatever it may be), and that thing will come to you with time. This is all true in my experience as well. When I want something bad enough (which weed helps me with) then things around me seem to work for me. I no longer have to handle ALL the pressure of thinking and worrying about how to obtain the object that I want so bad. All my life I have been lying, I have been a pathological lie-r (how the FUCK do you spell that word) because I was just trying to please the people around me to fool them into thinking that I was the person that following their sentences and keeping up with the "thought train" (or the momentum of logic traveling between the participants of the social interaction). I was just trying to slough off the fact that I had no idea, NO IDEA, how to share myself with other people. I am going to order the DVD and watch it, possibly many many times, and hopefully it will expand on the information I read in the wikipedia page. Quick question to anyone who is familiar with the laws of attraction... how do multi-taskers work if one must be concentrated on what one wants to recieve. In other words how do multitaskers (if the laws of attraction are valid) get two things at once, when they can only want one reallly bad?

    LASTLY (sorry for the long post), I would like to give a big thanks to all of you guys for saving my life. You were here at just the right time, along with weed. But yea, I hope to hear back from you all!
    Last edited by expirator; Jan-25-2010 at 07:39. Reason: clarity
    Ari1 likes this.

  23. #23
    expirator is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jan-25-2010
    Posts
    3

    EDIT 2

    I guess you can't edit you post more than one time because I couldn't click edit on my last post. But that's besides the point, what I'm trying to say is I also am looking to slowly ween off of marijuana as a solution for my social anxiety. Marijuana creates memory loss and slow thinking in math related issues for me. I would like to be as clear minded as I am when I am high, when I'm not. I will follow many of your suggestions to force myself into social situations that I feel awkward in, but I don't know if I will be able to bear them when I finally get off the weed entirely. If anyone has any more suggestions, then pleaaaaase, let me know!!! Thanks!

  24. #24
    uncleweed is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2009
    Posts
    75
    Dude, I am having the same issue and it sucks, I know.

    Close relationships are hard to form and they take time, if you (or me) can't open up to people then it is a lot more difficult to spend time with them and build those bonds.

    My issues are mainly because I moved a lot as a kid (probably every year or two), so I never got around to forming those childhood bonds with people.

    Next time you are enxious, just keep telling yourself that everyone is just people, just like everyone else.... just be nice to people.

    The issue I have is that I find myself having nothing to say to people... so it's kind of hard to maintain conversation, also in new situations its hard to judge what appropriate conversation topics can be...

  25. #25
    expirator is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Jan-25-2010
    Posts
    3

    reply to uncleweed

    Thanks for the reply uncleweed,

    I agree with you. It is very soothing to know that the other people out there are feeling some of the same feelings that I am (although its hard to realize this sometimes even when I repeat that in my head) I think I will try the slow breathing technique mentioned by mrdevious

    2. Keep your breathing in mind, and keep the breaths slow and deep.
    combined with the constant injection of my vulnerable little self into awkward settings.

    I have experienced similar feelings that I have nothing to say in a conversation. It was hard to explain to people that I had nothing to say because I had nothing to say about me saying nothing but weed helped me with this one.

    I believe that you do have something to say in conversations uncleweed. Everyone has associations with what other people say. Of course you may not always have an association with everything everyone says, but you can associate to most things I find, however obscure the association. This association is what keeps conversations going for me. What worked for me here is again weed. Specifically the element of the THC to slow down my thoughts just enough to where I could vocalize what I needed to say to bounce the conversation ball back in their court. (BTW don't be scared of this conversation ball) for so long I was afraid when the ball would land in my court. I am still EXTREMELY fearful of this ball when I am sober. WEEED. 'nough said.

    Additionally, uncleweed, I believe this connects with your inability to say appropriate things at the right time. I have had this problem myself. From my experience, I have found that I say inappropriate things when my mind wonders. My mind will first stay on the conversation topic (although my attention, when I'm sober is not devoted fully to the conversation), then it will tend to wonder off. When my mind wonders off, it tends to go to "inappropriate" topics such as sex. Because I fear speaking up at the "appropriate" time, I will speak at a more inappropriate time. This more inappropriate time will be when my mind was on an inapropriate subject. Again I will recommend just slowing your mind down. If you want an appropriate topic, start with hello. Then follow the flow of the conversation, and direct your attention carefully to the "thought-train" (or the momentum of logic traveling between the participants of the social interaction. sometimes listening is more important than talking for me.

    Let me know what y'all think
    painretreat likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •