Thread: what causes red eyes

S.W.I.M. 504 is offline Registered+

what causes red eyes

what causes them? and cotton moutn?whats acutally happening on the inside?
    i have a signature

Kalmah is offline Registered+
    I'd like to know too, so I'll help keep the thread alive

cannabis campbell is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBlazed View Post
    this isnt scientific, just heresay...

some people's eyes turn red because of pressure being released from the weed (which is why it works so great for glaucoma)

about cottonmouth, i think it's just because some of your body systems slow down due to weeds effects on the CNS (this i absolutely pulled out of my ass, someone correct me please if it's wrong lol)

"If God wanted me to be quiet he would've never showed me what he does."
    "They got money for wars but they can't feed the poor."
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfsC6WrdlI

A328519 is offline Registered+
    Google?

partcleguy is offline Registered+
    Marijuana is a vasodilator which causes the blood vessels in your eyes to dilate. This basically means the blood vessels open up and become larger. I believe the red eyes are caused by being able to see so many more vessels that used to be too small to notice before smoking. The dilation is caused by the action of THC which causes the smooth muscle lining blood vessels to relax. Hope that helps

Edit: yes, dry mouth is most likely caused by stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system. This is a division of the autonomic nervous system that reacts in times of stress normally, but is artificially stimulated by the THC. You can feel your sympathetic nervous system kick in when you start to run or are scared (notice sweating, dilated pupils, etc.). One of the other things is your body stops producing so much saliva... hence dry mouth
    Last edited by partcleguy; Jul-26-2007 at 17:15.

It certainly can be, just as many other drugs such as alcohol, caffeine, and cocaine, especially if used in inappropriate ways. Below are some of the wikipedia listed effects...

Anti-emetic properties Modulation of working and short-term memory Impairment of short-term memory Enhancement of many other drug effects (including those of alcohol, ecstasy, tobacco, heroin, cocaine) Auditory or visual hallucinations at high doses in some users Paramnesia, repetitiveness and ambiguation Increased appetite (often referred to as "the munchies"), an effect of stimulation of the endocannabinoid system, which affects body weight, insulin resistance, and dyslipidemia. Increased sexual pleasure Increased awareness of sensation Increased awareness of patterns and colors Increased appreciation of music Increased mental activity, like metacognition Induced sense of novelty Initial wakefulness followed by drowsiness and lassitude ('burnt out') Introspective or meditative states of mind Gain or loss of some inhibitions Mild euphoria, feelings of general well-being Relaxation or stress reduction Mild tachycardia (Increased heart rate) Mild, temporary dry mouth (sometimes referred to as cottonmouth, pasties, or the drys (NZ)) Mild, temporary keratoconjunctivitis sicca (sometimes referred to as blood-shot eyes, dry eyes or red eye(UK)) Mild paranoia and anxiety
    Most of all: it is best for the world’s number-one killer - stress. It can safely curtail or replace Valium, Librium, alcohol, or even Prozac, for millions of Americans.

While cannabis intoxication varies with psychological set and social setting, “the most common response is a calm, mildly euphoric state in which time slows and a sensitivity to sights, sounds and touch is enhanced.”

In contrast to marijuana’s safe, therapeutic action, benzodiazephines (Valium) abuse is the number-one drug abuse problem in the country, and is responsible for more emergency room admissions in the United States than either cocaine-related problems or morphine and heroin-related admissions combined.

While tobacco constricts arteries, cannabis dilates (opens) them. Because migraine headaches are the result of artery spasms combined with over-relaxation of veins, the vascular changes cannabis causes in the covering of the brain (the meninges) usually made migraines disappear.

Evidence of vascular change caused by cannabis can be seen in the user’s red eyes, which are extensions of the brain. However, unlike most other drugs, cannabis has no apparent effect on the vascular system in general, except for a slight increased heart rate during the onset of the high.
    No website i could find actually gives a proper scientific explanation why, interesting because i dont know the actual reason myself but i would assume its simple because weed, THC trichs have chemicals in them which dehydrate you and make you have less saliva and less water around your eyes and mouth and whole body in general.

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive."

partcleguy is offline Registered+
    See my post above

A328519 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by partcleguy View Post
    Marijuana is a vasodilator which causes the blood vessels in your eyes to dilate. This basically means the blood vessels open up and become larger. I believe the red eyes are caused by being able to see so many more vessels that used to be too small to notice before smoking. The dilation is caused by the action of THC which causes the smooth muscle lining blood vessels to relax. Hope that helps

Edit: yes, dry mouth is most likely caused by stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system. This is a division of the autonomic nervous system that reacts in times of stress normally, but is artificially stimulated by the THC. You can feel your sympathetic nervous system kick in when you start to run or are scared (notice sweating, dilated pupils, etc.). One of the other things is your body stops producing so much saliva... hence dry mouth
    GG.

WHOA dam thank u guys
    i would like to say i an very high and this information HAS BLOWN MY MIND!

i will be happy to read it later when i can fully comprehend this

kifflom!
    i have a signature

Haha LMAO, thats what im like when i post a thread sometimes and too many people reply and im stoned im just like urghh... ill come back another time.

Quote Originally Posted by cannabis campbell View Post
    Haha LMAO, thats what im like when i post a thread sometimes and too many people reply and im stoned im just like urghh... ill come back another time.
    lol, its like a present that i know ill have later.
    i have a signature

TheGreenReefer is offline Registered+
    im pretty sure that red eye is caused by the smoke irretating your eyes(like how sand in your eye would make it red) thats why your eyes get way more red when your boxing it or something cause there is smoke all around you.

now for really really bloodshot eyes i dont think thats the case.
    then for dry/cotton mouth that is because there is all kinds of smoke in your mouth it just drys it out.
    and cotton mouth is caused by the dry mouth since you have no spit...

pixel is offline Registered+
    All I know isthat the more i cough, the redder my eyes become at the end of the session, so i try not to do a ton of coughing
    Flick your BIC Expand your mind

And when your world seems cold, you got to let your spirit take control.
    Let your soul shine,
    Its better than sunshine,
    Its better than moonshine,
    And damn sure better than rain.
    Lord now people dont mind,
    We all get this way sometimes,
    Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7PS3k2O1g

Jizzle Blizzle420 is offline Registered+
    This thread is informative and funny lol
    "The only thing standing in between me and total happieness is reality... and the cops."

The war on drugs is a war on me. Since when the fuck did I become Americas enemy?

STAND UP!

FakeBoobsRule is offline Smackdown Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by CrAzYcHrIs View Post
    its from dehydration, drinking a glass of water right after you smoke kills red eyes almost as well as eyedrops which are like 98% water anyway
    Sorry but A328519 put up the right answer with a quote on vasodilation.

GraziLovesMary is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel View Post
    All I know isthat the more i cough, the redder my eyes become at the end of the session, so i try not to do a ton of coughing
    Yes Ive noticed this as well, regardless of any other medical reasoning. It doesnt matter how much weed I smoke... my eyes only get red when I cough. I made the connection when I saw my friend had a popped blood vessel in his eye, when I asked him what it was from he said it was from straining too hard when takin a dump. The next time I smoked and started coughing like shit I felt that same kind of strain, and I began feeling how much my eyeballs were strained. And sho nuff my eyes were bloodshot as hell. Ive even done tests over a lengthened period of time, coughing more or less extraneously and seeing if the resulting redness of my eyes was analogous.. and it was. So even if I smoke like half an ounce of some danky dank in a few hours, as long as I dont cough, my eyes arent red. Sleepy lookin, maybe.. lol.. but not red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    Hes prolly out fighting bad guys, isnt he some sort of super cannabis ninja?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Damn, I wouldn't have expected the Weed Ninja to be so... EASY!!!

MrGuyUK is offline Registered+
    I get terrible red-eye, a spliff to myself and my eye's go extremely red. I don't even have to be that stoned. But i use Eye Brightener eye drops which sort me out. if i put them in, people just think i'm a bit tired rather than stoned (apparently my face goes a bit "droopy" when stoned.) Some red-eye will be because smoke getting in, but you can tell when you get smoke in your eyes because it's quite irritable in my experiences.

as for drymouth, i only get it if i think about it. if someone mentions it, i'll get it, but if not, i don't. I dont think it's dehydration really because that implies all you're body to be dehydrated. For me, i want a drink just to wet my mouth again, not to rehydrate. There's definately a difference between "i want a drink cz im really dehydrated and not had a drink in a while" and "i want a drink because i got dry mouth"

i hope that all made sense, it didn't make much sense to me and i wrote it and i'm not even stoned, what's with that? lol

GraziLovesMary is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGuyUK View Post
    I get terrible red-eye, a spliff to myself and my eye's go extremely red. I don't even have to be that stoned. But i use Eye Brightener eye drops which sort me out. if i put them in, people just think i'm a bit tired rather than stoned (apparently my face goes a bit "droopy" when stoned.) Some red-eye will be because smoke getting in, but you can tell when you get smoke in your eyes because it's quite irritable in my experiences.

as for drymouth, i only get it if i think about it. if someone mentions it, i'll get it, but if not, i don't. I dont think it's dehydration really because that implies all you're body to be dehydrated. For me, i want a drink just to wet my mouth again, not to rehydrate. There's definately a difference between "i want a drink cz im really dehydrated and not had a drink in a while" and "i want a drink because i got dry mouth"

i hope that all made sense, it didn't make much sense to me and i wrote it and i'm not even stoned, what's with that? lol
    It all made sense, but Ive noticed that when I smoke, a good majority of the hydration in my body immediately proceeds to my bladder. Seriously, every time I smoke, I gotta piss real bad at least once or twice within 20 minutes of smoking, and my body is more dehydrated.. and the dehydration of my body is something that took me many years and some QiGong meditation to be able to become aware of. Other than being thirsty, having headaches, dry lips, and yellow urine.. the usual signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    Hes prolly out fighting bad guys, isnt he some sort of super cannabis ninja?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Damn, I wouldn't have expected the Weed Ninja to be so... EASY!!!

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    I dont get red eyes. Never did. My eyes just get low and look almost closed. I get very big pupils too but never redeye.

imitator is offline Registered+
    I dont get red eyes when I have my contacts in. If they are out, I get red eye like no other.

I use RotoV Ice eye drops to clear up redeye though. That stuff turns your eyes pure white after it starts working, not a sign of redness anywhere.
    "This is the ghost of normal everday assumptions which declares that the ultimate purpose of life, which is to keep alive, is impossible, but that this is the ultimate purpose of life anyway, so that great minds struggle to cure diseases so that people may live longer, but only "mad-men" ask why. One lives longer in order that he may live longer. There is no other purpose. That is what the ghost says."
    - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence.