Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regaining "extended" short-term memory loss

Hajpoj is offline Registered+

Regaining "extended" short-term memory loss

After doing some extensive research, it appears short-term memory loss is the result of the presence of THC in your system and nothing to do with any physical damage to any part of your brain. And for a chronic smoker like me(5 oz of superdank in last 2 months) I have a considerable build up of THC.

I do notice the short-term memory loss, often times I will find myself someplace in my house without any idea why I'm there. Even though there was a reason for me being there....It's a very frustrating and depressing feeling. And this has gone on for some time, where I know I was completely baseline.

I didn't used to be like this, and I feel I'm violating my intellectual integrity to allow this to go on. I LOVE WEED GUYS, but as an intellectual the thought of short-term memory loss is enough to dissuade and disgust me from this stuff all-together. As such, I'm very well informed and have chosen cannabis as my sole "recreational substance" for such occasions. From what I'm understanding, I have to go off this stuff for 6-8 weeks before all the THC is out of my system and short-term memory returns to normal.

My question is, being a former chronic user(3 days since I last toked) can I continue to use cannabis twice a week per se and expect my memory to return to normal over the long term? Or is the only way to expect to use cannabis modestly again, is to quit cold turkey for 2 months?
    Last edited by Hajpoj; Nov-27-2007 at 22:33.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

TryptamineScape is offline Registered+
    I smoked every night and never have short term memory loss, on the other hand my best friend has never smoked and he forgets the dumbest shit all the time. Don't blame the weed man.
    www.myspace.com/tryptaminescape
    Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare.
    Voltaire
    Anyone using this IP, or the user name TryptamineScape is not held responsible for any of the comments made anywhere in this forum. All remarks are fictional.

worm is offline Registered+
    If you ask me, I think you're just noticing short-term memory loss because you're looking for it now and have something to blame it on. I remember learning about this in a psych class...

Have you ever learned a new word or something and then all of a sudden you start to hear or read that word more often?

Everyone can relate man, pothead or otherwise. Everyone has walked into a room at one point and then said to themselves "why the fuck did i need to come in here??"

I think (for myself at least) its because I decide to go do something and then on the way there I start thinking about other shit and my body goes on auto pilot.
    Last edited by worm; Nov-28-2007 at 10:18.

Well I suppose "every night" pales in comparison. I was high for a month straight, several times over the last 6 months. I mean, I spent the entire month high, never coming down. Wake and bake, every morning and continued all day.

One thing though, is that when I hit the gym I got this Godly runner's high so much more intense than I ever experienced. I did a little research into endorphins, that are endogenous cannabinoids, so I think my body somehow released stored up cannabinoids along with my natural ones, which resulted in a what I described.

petros is offline Registered
    I definitely notice a little bit of a stupor the morning after smoking a lot the night before. I wouldn't say I smoke a lot on a regular basis, but when I do I just find myself a little less intelligent, forgetful, etc., and sometimes it lasts the whole next day. If I just get to a relaxed high and ride it out before I go to bed, I usually don't notice it at all the next day. Maybe it's different for everyone though.

Coelho is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajpoj View Post
    One thing though, is that when I hit the gym I got this Godly runner's high so much more intense than I ever experienced. I did a little research into endorphins, that are endogenous cannabinoids, so I think my body somehow released stored up cannabinoids along with my natural ones, which resulted in a what I described.
    Well... the THC is stored in the fat of the body, so when you burn fat (during physical exercises, or fasting) the THC is released again, making you high.
    Last edited by Coelho; Nov-28-2007 at 21:34.

Jesta is offline Banned
    That used to happen to me. Then I took a break and slowed my smoking down and it stopped. Now that I started to rise up on the ammount I smoke I wonder if it will happen again.

That explains the unbelievable runner's highs I've been having, so is exercise the quick way to detox?

TryptamineScape is offline Registered+
    exercise is a good detox for any toxin.
    www.myspace.com/tryptaminescape
    Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare.
    Voltaire
    Anyone using this IP, or the user name TryptamineScape is not held responsible for any of the comments made anywhere in this forum. All remarks are fictional.

I have always experienced significant memory loss from smoking pot ... whenever I went straight for awhile, it would start returning to normal after awhile ... I went without pot for 6 years once, because of job testing ... I could actually 'feel' my thinking return to normal, after a few months ... but, it took well over a year, before I felt totally back to 'normal' ... I would add, Ive been a VERY heavy MJ smoker for a lotta years, so I may be dumber than the rest of ya

birdgirl73 is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    I've been a VERY heavy MJ smoker for a lotta years, so I may be dumber than the rest of ya
    Not a chance, my friend. Not a chance. You're one of the smartest folks I know. And one of the nicest!

I found cannabis really shot holes in my memory, too, and it lasted for up to five or six days, which was not a good thing when I was trying to finish up at my job before I quit to go back to school. It was pretty evident to me that, even if I'd wanted to, I wouldn't have been able to keep up smoking and trying to be a med student. Especially a first-year med student. The amount of memorization we had to do was incredible. My brain's muddled enough from middle age and anti-arrhythmic heart medicines. It didn't need any more challenges.

joseph1 is offline Registered
    Ey guys, Im experiencing alot of holes in my memory never been a chronic mairjuana user but ive used it on a limited bases, I forget what i do earlier during the week what I say and What people say to me I read books and i cannot recall what I have read.
    it sucks.
    i havent smoked in a good 9 months MY reasoning has come back but i cant seem to remember stuff I did about a year ago its hard to recall that aswell,

How long does it take for the short term memory to come back ONE YEAR or TWO Years can medication used to treat Attention Decifit Disorders help me recovery?

so depressed the 1 thing i got to love reuined my intelluctual ability

beachguy in thongs is offline Registered+
    There are a lot of issues in this thread and most can be cleared up by the differences between Indica and Sativa.

Spread your wings and fly... Or, have someone spread their wings and fly different weed to you.

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    damn, maybe my my green isn't all that potent... I don't experience anymore mem loss than before i started smoking, and it is not much different if i take a break either. i don't blame the weed for much at all.
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.

Th3 sand m4n is offline Registered+
    i dont ever smoke mids because it leaves you feeling so much dumber then a good sativa head high +1 Beach guy in thongs
    The sand man will put you to sleep -

Herbs529 is offline Registered+
    It never felt like it affected mine but then again different people have different effects. Most people get the munchies and want to chill, I on the other hand find I'm less hungry all the time and a lot more productive. I tend to get more energy to do things. I think it has alot to do with what your think about it and why you smoke.

DurbanStone is offline Registered+
    I know exactly what you're talking about dude. I started smoking at 15 all the way to 20, every single day, the first few days it was 3-7 times a day, but the past two or so years it was once at night. I've smoked about 15 times in the past 4 months, and my head is SO much clearer. It does suck when you forget all the time.

If it's true that a pure sativa doesn't do this to you, that's all I will smoke from now on.
    I love life.

Hempy Bucket- So easy a caveman could do it.

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    I used to get short term memory loss for the first year or two of smoking, but then after that i've had no problems. My memory is fine, and i smoke ALOT of weed everyday.

partcleguy is offline Registered+
    Well... the THC is stored in the fat of the body, so when you burn fat (during physical exercises, or fasting) the THC is released again, making you high.
    I'm almost certain the THC stored in your fat has been hydrolyzed and is in an inactive form. Burning the fat will not reactivate it. If that were true, you would get high every time you work out or break a sweat for a while. I know runners high is a relatively rare thing for most people (I've only had it twice and ive been working out for many years)...

Those chemicals that cause a runners high are endogenous opioids, not cannabinoids. The opiods are things like enkephalins, endorphins, and others...

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by partcleguy View Post
    I'm almost certain the THC stored in your fat has been hydrolyzed and is in an inactive form. Burning the fat will not reactivate it. If that were true, you would get high every time you work out or break a sweat for a while. I know runners high is a relatively rare thing for most people (I've only had it twice and ive been working out for many years)...

Those chemicals that cause a runners high are endogenous opioids, not cannabinoids. The opiods are things like enkephalins, endorphins, and others...
    You are indeed right. THC is out of the blood 2 - 4 hours after smoking, and the cannabinoids are stored in the fat cells. Or the inactive THC if you like. Releasing them wont get you high, coz none of it is active.

It's been two weeks now since I've touched it last, I swear things are starting to become much more clearer for me. I haven't had forgetful feelings of frustration for about a week now. There have been a few instances where I've felted "dazed" for a bit, usually when I'm experiencing some natural high, speeding, loud music, chocolate, sex etc.

I still seem to have to make multiple trips back inside my house whenever I want to leave, I always forget crucial things I need to take with me(things that in my own conscience, I can't possibly believe I would be that careless about). I am not that careless!!! And this single handedly had to have been the most frustrating thing that broke the camels back for me.

The last few days I've been less careless about my things, and I'm looking forward to a complete freedom over this hold that's been placed on me.

tenajtimmad is offline Banned
    its all in your head friend. ur memory is fine

I don't think so, literally forgetting things I never had any trouble with before whatsoever isn't just in my head.

When I took my first toke last thanksgiving(2006), I spent most of that year high.

I had the mindset of pot being totally harmless, that could be endlessly indulged upon. Then I started experiencing the symptoms I described and started to do some sleuthing.
    Last edited by Hajpoj; Dec-09-2007 at 23:35.

LIP
    LIP is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajpoj View Post
    I don't think so, literally forgetting things I never had any trouble with before whatsoever isn't just in my head.

When I took my first toke last thanksgiving(2006), I spent most of that year high.

I had the mindset of pot being totally harmless, that could be endlessly indulged upon. Then I started experiencing the symptoms I described and started to do some sleuthing.
    You cannot blame it ALL on the weed. That'd be a STUPID thing to do.

If it was solely the fualt of the weed, they'rd be ALOT more people saying the same thing as you.

It's YOU as well.

A good deal of it IS in your head.

Dont blame ALL your troubles on weed - thats as bad as people saying weed made them lazy - fat idiots make themselves lazy, they just use weed as an excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast