Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Marijuana and Anxiety

olliegrow is offline Registered+

Marijuana and Anxiety

Ive been smoking non stop for about 2 years because of daily stress in my life and marijuan WAS helping but a few months back it caused me to have an anxiety attack, i was just sitting, relaxing and smoking and whamm! I started to get real scared, shake, sweat and couldnt calm down. I sat like that for about 6 hours and when it didnt go away I dragged myself to the ER. My blood pressure was very high and I was trembling an my palms were sweating like crazy, I couldnt focus on anything and terrified! The doctor though it was my thyroid or some adrenal gland that was making me race, I didnt tell him about my addiction fearing some trouble so he said I had a Anxiety Attack caused by stress!!! I was given Prozac and Xanex. I went home took the pills and wanted to smoke a little to see if it would relax me....Wrong! It made my heart race all over again but it went away faster than last time. Why did this happen? Because I abused marijuana too much daily. I took the pill for a month and felt better, since then I still smoke but take it easy, sometimes my heart srtats to race and I have to take a break....Anyone else?????????

killerweed420 is offline Banned
    Are you sure the weed you got wasn't laced with something?

birdgirl73 is offline Registered
    Weed causes anxiety attacks in lots of people, Killerweed, and doesn't necessarily have to have been laced. THC does that to lots of folks, as our long history of posts about this very subject attests to. You can find that reaction listed among all standard possible negative interactions with cannabis, too, like on Erowid.

The solutions for folks who have this reaction are fairly easy choices To stop smoking weed. To only smoke when you're in a particularly cool, calm frame of mind, and even then you might still have a panicky response. Or to try and find or grow your own Indica or Indica-dominant strains for a more sedating, calming effect. Sativas tend to be worse about producing the panic/heart-racing response.
    boaz likes this.

Humm I never though of the specific strain would have something to do with it but it makes sense, because some stuff I smoke and Im high and relaxed others my hearts racing and im a little freaked out...Thanks Birdgirl

bro777 is offline Registered

anxiety

hey ollie,
    i also suffer from anxiety while smoking weed,it caused me to quit for almost a decade.
    anyway i still get the occasional anxiety attack but im finding for me cannabis is becoming a spiritual/meditational activity.
    how that affects my use is i only take between 1 to 2 hits then im done
    my attacks are seldom now and i have xanax on hand for when they do.
    also the above posts about frame of mind/strain are dead on
    i stay away from sativa and avoid haze like the plague.
    remember that our minds are so strong we can "talk" ourselves into almost anything even dying.
    so do the opposite when your not stoned think about how and why u like cannabis and how it helps others in need.also if you dont have much control over the types of weed you get trichrome color also helps you will want amber/red for a more body buzz.
    ok i hope i've helped in some small way

Thanks bro777, Im still sober today, been 2 weeks since the anxiety attack and Ive been thinking about smoking but am too scared. I believe you and know its in my head as far as the comfort level goes when smoking, sometimes I just freak out because I was thinking about it too much when I was High, also the sativas and schwag would make me feel like I was going to lose control. I love cannabis and have been using for years on a daily and now this?? I hope I can go back to it...thanks again bro777

smokestoomuch is offline Registered+
    i have serious anxiety problems matey i was on diazepan for ages while i was smoking weed i stopped those stupid pills coz i was getting addicted to them i went on them for a year and then stopped and been smoking since i was 15 and now 24. The anxiety gets so bad when i smoke that my haert beats fast, i sweat, and my stomach beats like i have a pulse in my stomach but i also have ADHD so i cant sit and relax without weed so i know exactly how u feel matey all i can say is smoke with friends who u can smoke with ( dont act like muppets) or in ur own environment dont let the anxiety take over try and keep it on an evn keel as you know u have anxiety amd the smoke gets you more anxious so try and stay in the coolest, most relaxed places friends, at home etc until your anxiety stables. its hard to explain but i keep my anxiety cool as i smoke in the rite places wiv the rite ppl.

When i have no weed i am very anxious and cant control myself its very bad!!

peace bro hope its all cool for you in the future

keep toking, keep smiling, keep burning

Well im still sober, gonna wait a full month before I start again, I'll tell everyone how I handle it when I start. It sucks but I wonder why it happened to me all of a sudden? Ive been smoing non-stop for 2 years and never a problem, just that one day a couple weeks ago I was stressed out and smoke and Wham! Heart felt like it was gonna burst, started shakeing, sweeting, blood pressure went up to about 160 and couldnt relax until I was in the ER!! They said I had a anxiety attack?? But I wonder if it was the weed or my stress level?? Thanks everyone for the feedback, keep it coming. Peace

Coelho is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by olliegrow View Post
    But I wonder if it was the weed or my stress level??
    Well... i think it was a combination of both. Sativa strains can make you anxious, or even paranoid. Im sure most newbies that freak out smoked sativa ones. So if you was already stressed, and smoked some sativa, probably the anxiety caused by the weed increased the anxiety caused by the stress and you had the anxiety attack.
    I would suggest you to smoke indica strains, as pure as possible. Indicas are relaxing and stress relieving, so it would help you.

urbals is offline Registered

anxiety

Hey, my brother has those anxiety attacks when he smokes, I dont know why I never had 'em. I think he just gets really bombed on just a little smoke. He takes cannaclear like, 5 or 10 minutes, after he smokes, he also uses visine everytime, he says it controls his anxiety attacks, hope it helps!

Dream of the iris is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by killerweed420 View Post
    Are you sure the weed you got wasn't laced with something?
    I'm so tired of seeing people say this! Just because someone had a bad trip on weed does not mean it was laced! Everyone reacts differently! Stop saying this!
    Last edited by birdgirl73; Jan-20-2008 at 21:00.

couch-potato is offline Registered+
    I suggest you take a single hit - then see what happens.
    "Syd [Barrett] was sitting there at the table, and the box of cereal was between us. And he was watching the box of cereal the way that I would watch Star Trek on television. He was seeing something I wasn't seeing. I don't know what he was on, but he could have sat there all day, staring into that cereal, and he would have been just as happy as anybody else."
    -Alice Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by NightProwler View Post
    LISTEN TO COUCH POTATO, THE MAN KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT

Well my weed wasnt laced, all the doctors Ive talked to told me that over use(chonic use) is going to have neative affect eventually. You can have too much THC in your system! Your not going to die but instead have anxiety problems because the THC and cannaboloids in yourbrain and your nervouse system are affected by everyday smoking! And thats a fact, my doctors some pro marijuana and some against it all agreed, too much of anything with have effects on you eventually. Ive smoked, high grade for ever and now i take a break every couple of days and its not a problem. I have no other medical problems or on any other medications so I know it was the chronic use of high grade marijuana, sucks to say it but I know its true...if you have the same problems take a break and you'll feel alot better...do the reasearch on the chemical found in cannabis and how they afffect your body, you'll be suprised. Respect your herb and your body and you will live a better high life!! Peace and be Safe...

dorothyleanne is offline Registered
    Hi, does anyone know why I feel scared and shit when I smoke ?

denial102 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by dorothyleanne View Post
    Hi, does anyone know why I feel scared and shit when I smoke ?
    Yes, it's likely a fight flight response usually brought on by emergent psychological (usually pre-existing) stress.. Delta9 has a significant effect on the brain and adrenaline release. If you consider it a fight flight response you will need to psychologically address the problem if you wish to continue use (don't expect someone to kill you when you walk downstairs in the dark to get milk, don't worry about noises you hear in your back garden, and if you do, try not to get hypersensitive - self control is possible - honest!).

Peace,
    Denial

denial102 is offline Registered+
    I found this article which is notably TOTALLY unrelated. A lot of you will however relate to the symptoms.. though:

Dealing With Trauma by Dr Maurice Kouguell

* Hypervigilance: being on guard all the time.
    * Intrusive imagery such as flashbacks.
    * Extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
    * Hyperactivity, restlessness.
    * Exaggerated emotional and startled reaction to noise, quick movements, etc.
    * Nightmares and night terrors.
    * Abrupt mood swings such as rage reaction, temper tantrums, shame.
    * Reduced ability to deal with stress (easily stressed out).
    * Difficulty sleeping
    * Fear of going crazy
    * Other symptoms include: panic attacks, phobias, anxiety
    * Mental blankness, or spaciness
    * Avoiding circumstances which remind one of the previous experience
    * Attraction to dangerous situations
    * Frequent anger or crying
    * Mood swings
    * Exaggerated or diminished sexual activity
    * Amnesia and forgetfulness
    * Inability to love, nurture or bond with other individuals
    * Fear of dying or having a shortened life

Peace,
    Denial

zebulon is offline Registered+
    I have the same problems as many here...if i smoke weed i get anxious...I was really thinking about quitting....but getting high is such a great thing, it helps me to deal whit many things, i NEED it, so i couldn't just stop smoking weed....

What helped me was, i realized this is only psychological, and now i enjoy smoking again...i only take 1-2 hits at one time....wait a few minutes, and if i feel the anxiety coming, i go for a walk, take a ride whit a bicycle, drink water, i keep myself busy whit something so i don't pay attention to the faster heart rate, and i KNOW this is only in my head, i will not get a heart attack, i just simply calm myself...I don't smoke that much now, so i get really baked...and i try to smoke my own grown weed, because that causes far less times anxiety, and also eating weed is good for me, or green dragon...

Ghengis Chron is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by zebulon View Post
    I have the same problems as many here...if i smoke weed i get anxious...I was really thinking about quitting....but getting high is such a great thing, it helps me to deal whit many things, i NEED it, so i couldn't just stop smoking weed....

What helped me was, i realized this is only psychological, and now i enjoy smoking again...i only take 1-2 hits at one time....wait a few minutes, and if i feel the anxiety coming, i go for a walk, take a ride whit a bicycle, drink water, i keep myself busy whit something so i don't pay attention to the faster heart rate, and i KNOW this is only in my head, i will not get a heart attack, i just simply calm myself...I don't smoke that much now, so i get really baked...and i try to smoke my own grown weed, because that causes far less times anxiety, and also eating weed is good for me, or green dragon...
    It's so great to read people experiencing the same issues I am when I smoke. It wasn't always like this for me, but beginning of the summer, I had a mental breakdown of sorts, and have been experiencing it ever since. I do have bad anxiety, however I do believe it will subside once I get some things straightened out in my life.

Before my issue, smoking weed absolutely controlled my life. I was high a majority of any given day. If I had weed, i'de wake up in the morning and have to smoke it right away. I was a complete stoner. Now, I still get high once in awhile, but it's far and in between, usually once a week.
    The remembrance of today, is the sad feelin of tomorrow
    -Bob Marley

I read somewhere, how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions - Into the Wild

StickyIcky66 is offline Registered+
    Iv come to find a brilliant system for combating this which is really logical and makes full sense(i think lol). The reason that people have anxiety attacks after weed is because there is an underlying problem which automatically gets blown up and focused on when high. Even if you are unaware of the issue, its all locked in your subconcious, and weed opens up the minds flood gates. ie the creativity blasts and what not. My way in combating this and in helping me all round in being a stronger and more in control person is MEDITATING. For anyone unfamilliar with meditating, its about delving into your sub-concious and releasing inner stresses(can be felt through body twitches) and in the same way as weed, facing your inner demons! I think being high is just an over energetic meditation, which gets u VERY deep VERY fast....sometimes TOO fast for some. It makes sense that someone with a lot of issues will eventually find it tough. This is why i believe to always have a powerful and blissful high where creativity and enlightenment happens....MEDITATE :-) Dont meditate high at first but once u feel ur grounded enough, well, its a wonderfully powerfull experience to combine the both. Just to let you know im not a very spiritual person or anything but iv been meditating for a bout a year now and as a person who was once ALWAYS anxious, ALWAYS uncomfortable and genuinely un happy in my mind....i have came to be so grounded in my mind, calm and collected....and most of all HAPPY! I kinda went off the trail here a bit lol. I just felt i had to say something. I meditate through Holosync technology. Excellent!!!

Peace,
    and happy Highs!! ;-)
    The Bahm likes this.

Coelho is offline Registered+
    ^^^^ Thats true. Very good post!

Ghengis Chron is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyIcky66 View Post
    Iv come to find a brilliant system for combating this which is really logical and makes full sense(i think lol). The reason that people have anxiety attacks after weed is because there is an underlying problem which automatically gets blown up and focused on when high. Even if you are unaware of the issue, its all locked in your subconcious, and weed opens up the minds flood gates. ie the creativity blasts and what not. My way in combating this and in helping me all round in being a stronger and more in control person is MEDITATING. For anyone unfamilliar with meditating, its about delving into your sub-concious and releasing inner stresses(can be felt through body twitches) and in the same way as weed, facing your inner demons! I think being high is just an over energetic meditation, which gets u VERY deep VERY fast....sometimes TOO fast for some. It makes sense that someone with a lot of issues will eventually find it tough. This is why i believe to always have a powerful and blissful high where creativity and enlightenment happens....MEDITATE :-) Dont meditate high at first but once u feel ur grounded enough, well, its a wonderfully powerfull experience to combine the both. Just to let you know im not a very spiritual person or anything but iv been meditating for a bout a year now and as a person who was once ALWAYS anxious, ALWAYS uncomfortable and genuinely un happy in my mind....i have came to be so grounded in my mind, calm and collected....and most of all HAPPY! I kinda went off the trail here a bit lol. I just felt i had to say something. I meditate through Holosync technology. Excellent!!!

Peace,
    and happy Highs!! ;-)
    StickyIcky....Could you send me some detailed information on the type of meditation you do? Perhaps a website or something?

My parents are big into meditation and eastern thinking, I've been interested in it, but never acted my on interest. I have also been exposed a tad with holosync technology. I got a demo CD a while ago, but it was a lot of talking instead of actual sounds and music and whatnot.

Since May of 2007 I have been extremely uncomfortable, extremely anxious, and overall unhappy. Lately it's eased up a bit, maybe because the weather is finally getting nice and the plants are growing back. Or maybe it's because I'm about to take a major step in my life which will provide a huge relief for me.

Either way, I've been meaning to delve more into eastern thinking, particulary meditation. any info would be appreciated....thanks!
    The remembrance of today, is the sad feelin of tomorrow
    -Bob Marley

I read somewhere, how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions - Into the Wild

Dreadscale is offline Registered+

Now I see it

Hi All

I just posted about this problem in the strains thread.
    I have the anxiety problem and was curious if anyone new a strain that wouldn't freak me out.

Glad I saw this thread, some good information.

THANKS
    When read carefully, these statements contain subtle nuances that,
    if not properly accounted for, make them seem far more significant than they really are.

TheSmokingMonkey is offline Registered+
    1. Anxiety is a common side-effect of cannabis
    2. Try smoking less often and less weed
    3. Careful with your strains (if possible)
    4. Work on cognitive behavioral therapy approaches to anxiety; they may help in such a situation.
    5. Careful mixing with other drugs (caffeine, notably)

I get a little freaked out sometimes but I'm good at self-soothing.
    My husband cannot smoke because he is anxiety-prone as it is and weed just makes it worse.
    The fools are at the bottom of it all.

StickyIcky66 is offline Registered+
    @Ghengis.....Yes i think the Holosync technology is INCREDIBLE to say the least. Iv gotten through alot of my own demons from it. The talking your refering to is just the introduction which bill harris reads at the begining. Once you actually purchase (or torrent) its just the binural beat sounds which are relaxing. Before starting i was very sceptical at this new age stuff but IT WORKS!!! It sends your brainwaves into phazes like delta. This opens your subconcious(forcefully) and u confront your stresses HEAD ON!! Just to let you know it isnt always very easy dragging up past emotions and can be tough at times....they call it upheval (sp?), the incredible thing about it is once you let it out its PERMENANTLY released and doesnt return. The program lasts years if u choose to complete. Im only really on the second stage but iv already got through shit and have changed alot in my mind. Anyways....best of luck if u choose it....its basically Meditation on speed! More info on Holosync: Centerpointe Research Institute: The Most Powerful Personal Growth, Meditation and Mind Development Tool on the Planet

@DreadScale.......I hear Strawberry cough is a particular strain in combating anxiety!

essencevfx is offline Registered+
    Strange to hear you all say this. I have Anxiety/Hypercondriaism/Panic ect.

I have been taking Celexa for a few years , wich was helping. I have been a 'lite' toker for years, but recently have introduced it more as a medicine for my anxiety.

Not doctor perscribed, but I know when i feel better . Good smoke makes me feel better. I still am taking the Celexa. But the smoke brings back the 'focus and thought' the celexa trys to take away. Puts me in a good place ...Plus gets me a good night sleep.

Pot dosent cause panic attacks, our brains do. Its a cataclismic reaction to fear. We have an unreasonable fear , our body actually changes its chemistry to compensate. This increases axiety reaction, wich makes us more stressed out, and the cycle repeates , ect = panic attack.

Spend a bit of time looking over the wealth of info on the web about panic/anxiety...you can empower yourself and not have to worry about the smoke, just enjoy it

Check out

We Worry: A Blog for the Anxious
    or
    Panic Attacks, Anxiety Disorders, Treatment, Forums, Blog

peace
    J.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast