Cannabis.com

Thread: Burn more calories while high?

Euphoric7 is offline Registered+

Burn more calories while high?

If you do cardio-vascular exercises (like running) while high, will it burn more calories? Or is heart-exercise like this even safe while high?

Thanks!
    Everything I post is 100% fictional and used purely for entertainment purposes.
    <I really appreciate good rep. >

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    The amount of calories one burns is directly correlated to the person's heart rate. If weed makes your heart rate increase, the rate at which the body consumes energy would also increase in theory, but nothing significant.

I have known runners that would smoke while on a jog and be fine. Prolly not the best idea if not conditioned though...

Personally heavy physical activity is a buzzkill

peace
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.

StickyfingahZ is offline Registered+
    Heavy work outs are a buzzkill,but smoke afterwords and you feel just awesome!
    ~If No Fit,Put Spit~

Thanks for the help!

birdgirl73 is offline Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious fellow View Post
    The amount of calories one burns is directly correlated to the person's heart rate. If weed makes your heart rate increase, the rate at which the body consumes energy would also increase in theory, but nothing significant.
    Sorry, but the amount of calories a body burns is directly correlated to that person's metabolic rate, not his heart rate.

Cardiovascular exercise, by working the large muscle groups and getting the heart muscle pumping, helps burn calories by building more muscle tissue, which is metabolically more active than fat, and by its contribution to increasing the rate at which the body uses calories. That's the metabolic rate. You can read more about it here.

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Physical activity

TheSmokingMonkey is offline Registered+
    Birdgirl - thanks for answering the original question.

I'd also like to say that weed can raise AND lower blood pressure depending on the person and time frame and it also increases heart rate in a lot of people - thus making exercise a really BAD idea unless it's LIGHT exercise (walking, golf) and you're in moderately good shape.

Out of shape people should exercise sober.
    The fools are at the bottom of it all.

rvinay is offline Registered

Burning Calori

Now this is not a scientific explanation in the strictest sense; however, this is how I understand the process.

Fat "synthesis" or the creation of fat in the body can only happen if there is a caloric surplus in the body.

Basically if you eat more than you expend then you can gain fat.

As far as I understand, that's pretty much the end all be all of the entire equation.

If you burn 2000 calories in a day, and you eat all 2000 calories right before you go to bed, then you still won't gain any fat. Because in that situation the total calorie excess = 0. Where would the energy possibly come from to generate any fat tissue?

Burning Calories

daihashi is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by rvinay View Post
    Now this is not a scientific explanation in the strictest sense; however, this is how I understand the process.

Fat "synthesis" or the creation of fat in the body can only happen if there is a caloric surplus in the body.

Basically if you eat more than you expend then you can gain fat.

As far as I understand, that's pretty much the end all be all of the entire equation.

If you burn 2000 calories in a day, and you eat all 2000 calories right before you go to bed, then you still won't gain any fat. Because in that situation the total calorie excess = 0. Where would the energy possibly come from to generate any fat tissue?

Burning Calories
    The likelyhood that you are going to eat the exact amount of calories needed to end up with a Zero balance is highly unlikely.

A rough calculation for the amount of calories needed to come close to hitting that would be your total LBM * 12.5 calories = total daily caloric intake.

To get your LBM you would want to use something like the 9 site parillo fomula to get your body fat% and figure out your LBM (lean body mass).

So for a person with 150lb's of LBM their total caloric intake needed would be 1875 calories.

Now then with that said this is all just an estimate. There are many other things to factor in. One of those things being that not all calories are created equal.

1. Protein: Each gram of protein is worth 4 calories. Protein is critical for muscle synthesis and repair/growth of the muscle tissue. In addition diets that are high in Protein generally force the body to expend more energy because it is not easily converted into usuable sugars or energy like carbohydrates or fats. As a bonus your metabollic rate will generally increase due to an increase in muscle mass (if you are physically active, and these returns do diminish until eventually they plateau and your metabolic rate just evens out.)

2. Carbohydrates: Equally important for muscle mass, which in turn effects your metabolism. Carbohydrates are also worth 4 calories per gram of carbs. Unlike protein, carbohydrates are easily converted into sugar. Which if eaten in excess will be stored in the liver as glycogen, or in your body as fat stores. Without carbohydrates our minds would be hazy and we would be generally lethargic. It is worth noting that not all carbs are created equal. Candy Bars, sodas, and processed pastas and breads etc etc... are by far the worst carb that you can put into your body because of their GI ranking which I will discuss later. The best carbs are green leafy vegetables due to their high fiber content. Fiber helps to mobilize fat that is absorbed through the digestive tract. In addition to this fiber cannot be broken down by the human body and thus does not count to your overall caloric intake (just the fiber..not the actual carbs). It is because of our inability to break down fiber that we can get full on greens. A bonus if you are on a calorie deficient diet.

3. Fats: Fats are very important to the human body. Each gram of fat is worth 9 calories; While it is an essential portion of our diet it is very easy to get carried away... especially with the wrong kinds of fat. Omega-3 fatty acids have been proven to increase metabolic rates. One of the most common places to get Omega-3 Fats are eggs!! Another place is from flaxseed or flaxseed oil. To give an example generally you generally only need about two tablespoons of flaxseed oil a day. Which equals roughly about 28-30 grams of fat. It doesn't take much. You don't want to get fats from things like transfats (fast food, canned food.. tv dinners.. etc etc), saturated fats etc etc.. You want omega fats, monounsaturated fats and poly unsaturated fats.

The GI, aka Glycemic Index, This is important in relation to sugars and carbohydrates. You want to pay attention to where certain things lie on the GI. For instance I believe Maltodextrin is the highest at 110, followed by dextrose (common table sugar) at 100. The reason why this is important is due to the insulin-spike factor. While insulin spikes are not always a bad thing, when occuring on a frequent basis your body does not get a chance to recover. In addition the higher an item ranks on the GI the faster your body is able to convert this fuel into energy. the downside is that your body only uses what it needs at the time since the conversion happens so quickly (think about a sugar high). When this happens the sugars or carbs not used are quickly stored in the liver and fat stores.

There are times however when an insulin spike is desired. These times are usually immediatley after a hard workout. After working out your body is in a catabolic state; meaning that it is breaking down your body (usually muscle tissue) in order to preserve as much of your weight as possible. This can be stopped by drinking something high on the GI such as a beverage that his high in Maltodextrose (about 50-100g or so). Your body is able to quickly use this as energy and stop your body from breaking down. By doing so you are able to increase your metabolism by preserving as much muscle mass as possible.

Further benefits of drinking something like this would be the release of the hormone of IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor 1) which in turn stimulates the production of GH (growth hormone). Growth hormone is responsible for muscle growth and general repair of your body. Your body releases GH once every 90 minutes of sleep during the last phase of sleep (REM) where our brains release a D-wave signal which stimulates GH production. So you can see why getting 8 hours of sleep a night is important. This gives you a bit over 5 cycles of REM/D-wave sleep which stimulates GH.

However as with anything please keep in mind that if you take anything in excess or not enough it will be bad for your body. The above was just information about how there are more factors at hand than just caloric intake.

I can honestly go on and on about this forever but I'm going to cut this short. I doubt the majority of the board even has any interest in this. I'll be glad if anyone even reads all of this.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

Check out my Mothering Log!!!

daihashi is offline Registered+
    I should also note that if you're 400lbs with a 30% of body fat eating about 5k calories a day and you reduce this to 4500 calories.. naturally you will lose some weight. That's just how it works, but my post above was how the body works in the strictest sense.

It's also worth noting that you generally don't want to eat below 1500-1800 calories a day.

Also eating smaller portions multiple times a day allows your body to take only what it needs for that time frame, resulting in less of that being stored as fat.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

Check out my Mothering Log!!!

Patient is offline Registered

Running on THC

I've been using cannabis cooking oil lately and have been very pleased with the results. Here's what I do:

I place an ounce of cannabis cooking oil (which has about a half gram of ground dispensary Master Kush untrimmed cooked into it) into my running bottle (which has a 22 oz. capacity). I then put a table spoon of gatorade mix on top of it (trying to get the oil to saturate with the gatorade). I put in ice cubes to the top of the bottle and fill the remainder with cold water.
    I usually take a half ounce shot of the oil, chase it with some more water and head out running asap. Yes, the shot doesn't taste great: but what shot ever tasted great?

You begin your run unaffected by the medicine, so if there's something wrong with you (like an injury), you can feel it, but 20 minutes into your run the first shot will become effective and it will help alleviate minor aches and pains that might arise during the run. Your running motion mixes up the drink (even though the water and the oil don't mix), and as you run, you continually re-fill the bottle (don't pour anything out) which stretches the dosage.

I've run up to 17 miles at a time on this recipe.
    The oil in the gatorade should have 240 calories and the half shot adds another 120 calories. The grand total is 360 calories, but on a 17 mile run I burn something like 1,900 calories, so the mix is a win-win.

Contrary to what others have written, I haven't found this to be a buzz kill at all. My medicine is still effective even after I've done a two hour run, walked a mile home and showered, etc.

Plus, it's just amazing how much further you can run (particularly with an iphone) when it's not as painful and boring. So I highly recommend this. It's healthy and helps counteract the harmful stereotype of marijuana patients who are unproductive and lazy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

caveat: don't engage in any exercise program without consulting a physician, yadda yadda. Only do exercises that you're familiar with because I'm assuming that the analgesic effects of the thc might make you slightly less aware of injuries that might get worse if you continue.

If this is bad for me and I'm missing something, please someone chime in.

jessejames12345 is offline Registered+
    A lot of great information here in this thread. Thanks all for sharing

JaySin is offline Registered+
    I like to exercise after smoking. It's never made it difficult for the activity I choose. I just throw on my MP3 player and do whatever it is I want to do. Just make sure you've been drinking a lot of fluid as well as have some on hand. Because smoking then exercising makes dry mouth about 5 times worse then smoking or exercise by itself. At least that's what I've experienced. After hydrating and getting rid of the initial dry mouth, it's all relaxing again.
    Any law against what I do on this forum would be impeding on my right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness. So unfortunately, I'm forced to play the role of a cannabis grower instead of actually participate in the hobby. (All pictures are pulled from the internet and knowledge is only portrayed as personal experience without ever having any actual experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Patient View Post
    I've been using cannabis cooking oil lately and have been very pleased with the results. Here's what I do:

I place an ounce of cannabis cooking oil (which has about a half gram of ground dispensary Master Kush untrimmed cooked into it) into my running bottle (which has a 22 oz. capacity). I then put a table spoon of gatorade mix on top of it (trying to get the oil to saturate with the gatorade). I put in ice cubes to the top of the bottle and fill the remainder with cold water.
    I usually take a half ounce shot of the oil, chase it with some more water and head out running asap. Yes, the shot doesn't taste great: but what shot ever tasted great?

You begin your run unaffected by the medicine, so if there's something wrong with you (like an injury), you can feel it, but 20 minutes into your run the first shot will become effective and it will help alleviate minor aches and pains that might arise during the run. Your running motion mixes up the drink (even though the water and the oil don't mix), and as you run, you continually re-fill the bottle (don't pour anything out) which stretches the dosage.

I've run up to 17 miles at a time on this recipe.
    The oil in the gatorade should have 240 calories and the half shot adds another 120 calories. The grand total is 360 calories, but on a 17 mile run I burn something like 1,900 calories, so the mix is a win-win.

Contrary to what others have written, I haven't found this to be a buzz kill at all. My medicine is still effective even after I've done a two hour run, walked a mile home and showered, etc.

Plus, it's just amazing how much further you can run (particularly with an iphone) when it's not as painful and boring. So I highly recommend this. It's healthy and helps counteract the harmful stereotype of marijuana patients who are unproductive and lazy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

caveat: don't engage in any exercise program without consulting a physician, yadda yadda. Only do exercises that you're familiar with because I'm assuming that the analgesic effects of the thc might make you slightly less aware of injuries that might get worse if you continue.

If this is bad for me and I'm missing something, please someone chime in.
    You must have a really nice endorphin-high after that .

NaughtyDreadz is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient View Post
    i disagree... the post was great, but being lazy and unproductive is totally wrong!

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl73 View Post
    Sorry, but the amount of calories a body burns is directly correlated to that person's metabolic rate, not his heart rate.

Cardiovascular exercise, by working the large muscle groups and getting the heart muscle pumping, helps burn calories by building more muscle tissue, which is metabolically more active than fat, and by its contribution to increasing the rate at which the body uses calories. That's the metabolic rate. You can read more about it here.
    Of course, of course. Basal metabolism is the largest determinant of caloric usage and usually burns more calories than any activity we engage in.

However, I was assuming the person asking the question was aware of this and was inquiring beyond just basal metabolism.

Personally, cannabis makes me want to eat and sleep, repeat cycle, definitely outweighing the slight increase in heart rate's effects on caloric usage.

cannabis is helping me try to gain weight ; )

Patient, that must be some killer bud to keep you high for a 17 miles run, perhaps endorphins and cannabinoids potentiate each other's effects!
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.