Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Negative effects on metabolism?

  1. #1
    REALDope.'s Avatar
    REALDope. is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-26-2007
    Posts
    22

    Question Negative effects on metabolism?

    My friend told me the other day that herb slows down the metabolism. is this true? Personally it does not effect how i feel about herb because i just see it as a positive thing, but i am really curious if hes right or full of shit to stop me from burning.
    Peace.

  2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds



    Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

     

    Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

    Medical Marijuana Directory


  3. #2
    MotleyCrue0226 is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun-07-2008
    Posts
    31
    he is def wrong i have been a skinny herb smoker for 2yrs. it just makes you hungry, if you already have a slow metabolism and eat allot that is a bad combo

  4. #3
    StickyfingahZ's Avatar
    StickyfingahZ is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-15-2007
    Posts
    942
    I was big before smoking,still the same.lol
    ~If No Fit,Put Spit~

  5. #4
    JeffersonBud's Avatar
    JeffersonBud is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar-18-2008
    Posts
    405
    Remember that in medical use they use Herb to stimulate appetite.
    "Religion is the opiate of the people" - Karl Marx

  6. #5
    thcbongman's Avatar
    thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-19-2004
    Posts
    5,122
    It's the opposite. It speeds metabolism.
    Happiness only real when shared

  7. #6
    REALDope.'s Avatar
    REALDope. is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-26-2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by thcbongman View Post
    It's the opposite. It speeds metabolism.
    Thanks! Thought it was crap talk. haha.

  8. #7
    birdgirl73's Avatar
    birdgirl73 is offline Registered
    Join Date
    Apr-20-2006
    Posts
    6,396
    Hold on there. Let's get this on the record correctly. Cannabis neither speeds nor slows the metabolic rate. Metabolic rate has nothing to do with what people smoke. It has to do with lots of other factors like muscle mass, caloric intake and expenditure, percentage of body fat, thyroid function, age, etc. Cannabis may affect caloric intake and appetite, and it certainly can affect cardiovascular function, but there's no evidence it has a direct effect one way or another on the basal or resting metabolic rates.

    You can read some basic information about metabolic rate, which is what people mean when they say "metabolism," here:
    Basal metabolic rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #8
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl73 View Post
    Hold on there. Let's get this on the record correctly. Cannabis neither speeds nor slows the metabolic rate. Metabolic rate has nothing to do with what people smoke. It has to do with lots of other factors like muscle mass, caloric intake and expenditure, percentage of body fat, thyroid function, age, etc. Cannabis may affect caloric intake and appetite, and it certainly can affect cardiovascular function, but there's no evidence it has a direct effect one way or another on the basal or resting metabolic rates.

    You can read some basic information about metabolic rate, which is what people mean when they say "metabolism," here:
    Basal metabolic rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you.. no offense to anyone here but like alot of people who are anti-marijuana... people who use cannabis can create false information that is just ludicrous.

    Marijuana has no effect on your metabolism for good or bad... however it does effect you in several other ways:

    Cardiovascular..
    heart and lungs
    Lowers Testosterone and raises estrogen: This is slight but could prove problematic for any male who is suffering from low testosterone
    Testicular Shrinkage Can reduce testicle size.. in addition to lowering sperm count
    Short Term Memory Can reduce your ability to retain information in your short term memory. Usually this is only the case during intoxication; however with enough smoking it is possible to leave yourself in a haze even after intoxication wears off... still effecting your short term memory.


    and a few other things..

    In reality cannabis is not that harmful and risks are even further reduced through vaporizing or even cooking with it.

    If you gain weight it is probably more likely to getting the munchies as opposed to a slowing metabolism.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

  10. #9
    Sir Bliss's Avatar
    Sir Bliss is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan-26-2007
    Posts
    633
    It really lowers testosterone? That's strange because I'm always 10x hornier when I smoke. Not right when I smoke, but when the high starts wearing off. Hmp...

    And testicle shrinkage ...

  11. #10
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bliss View Post
    It really lowers testosterone? That's strange because I'm always 10x hornier when I smoke. Not right when I smoke, but when the high starts wearing off. Hmp...

    And testicle shrinkage ...


    Keep in mind that these are both very slight. It's just something to consider if you know you have low testosterone or other conditions that may be aggrevated by smoking.

    And while hormones can increase libido... an increased libido is not always a sign of elevated testosterone.

    I get a bit aroused when I smoke also; but I smoke several times a day so it doesn't effect me as much as when I first started smoking.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

  12. #11
    REALDope.'s Avatar
    REALDope. is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-26-2007
    Posts
    22
    Even though i made this thread i'm equally interested in this nut shrinkage and testosterone lowerage. Kinda freaked the shits outta me. And i thought i was the only horny stoner. haha. As i light my spliff i say this one goes out to the ladies... literally.

  13. #12
    REALDope.'s Avatar
    REALDope. is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-26-2007
    Posts
    22
    And big thanks for providing the metabolism info!

  14. #13
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by REALDope. View Post
    And big thanks for providing the metabolism info!
    If you're currently a healthy male then you have nothing to worry about. Besides the effects are not permanent. Your testosterone will rise from the slight... slight drop that occurs through smoking as the THC leaves your body.

    It's almost a negligible amount but I felt the need to voice it for anyone that already suffers from low testosterone.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

  15. #14
    REALDope.'s Avatar
    REALDope. is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul-26-2007
    Posts
    22
    I'm a bboy (breakdancer) so I'm not buggin' a bout weight issues. Damn, mad props. You make that ask jeezes kat seem like a panzy. haha.
    Peace.

  16. #15
    thcbongman's Avatar
    thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-19-2004
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl73 View Post
    Hold on there. Let's get this on the record correctly. Cannabis neither speeds nor slows the metabolic rate. Metabolic rate has nothing to do with what people smoke. It has to do with lots of other factors like muscle mass, caloric intake and expenditure, percentage of body fat, thyroid function, age, etc. Cannabis may affect caloric intake and appetite, and it certainly can affect cardiovascular function, but there's no evidence it has a direct effect one way or another on the basal or resting metabolic rates.

    You can read some basic information about metabolic rate, which is what people mean when they say "metabolism," here:
    Basal metabolic rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'll have to disagree. The act of smoking increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system. Therefore when you smoke cannabis, tobacco etc. you increase your metabolism. Not significant by any means, but temporarily for a little bit.
    Happiness only real when shared

  17. #16
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by thcbongman View Post
    I'll have to disagree. The act of smoking increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system. Therefore when you smoke cannabis, tobacco etc. you increase your metabolism. Not significant by any means, but temporarily for a little bit.
    Taken from nova Institute: THC-Limits for Food PART 2 Section 5


    5.1 Genetic material and cell metabolism
    5.1.1 Cell studies

    Cannabis smoke can exert mutagenic activity as a result of carcinogens (benzpyrenes, nitrosamines). This was established in the Ames test. THC itself is not mutagenic (WHO 1997). THC may reduce the synthesis of DNA, RNA and proteins and modulate the normal cell cycle. To obtain those effects, however, very high doses were required in cell studies. Hence, in a study by Tahir et al. (1992) microtubules and microfilaments in PC12 cells, which are vital for cell division, were disrupted in a dose-dependent manner following treatment with 10-30 mM (micromol) THC.
    5.1.2 Studies with Cannabis users

    Studies with Cannabis users did not establish any increase in chromosomal breaks (Matsuyama et al. 1976, Matsuyama and Fu 1981, Cruickshank 1976, Cohen 1976). Thus, after 72 days of marijuana smoking, no increase in chromosomal breaks was found when compared to the breakage rate preceding administration.

    Joergensen et al. (1991) evaluated the genotoxicity of Cannabis smoking by application of the sister-chromatid exchange (SCE) test, a sensitive tool for the discovery of genotoxic agents. They compared 22 tobacco smokers and 22 persons that smoked tobacco and marijuana. The smoking of tobacco in itself enhanced the SCE level significantly by 18.5% compared to non-smoking controls. The addition of marijuana did not further affect this level. Based on this observation the authors concluded that Cannabis smoke could not be considered genotoxic.
    5.1.3 Conclusion

    THC in doses used by marijuana smokers is neither mutagenic nor carcinogenic and it does not affect cell metabolism, either. The NOAEL ranges above concentrations relevant for the human consumption situation.

    5.3.4 Glucose metabolism

    Fifty years ago, in a study with 62 volunteers, it was already demonstrated that Cannabis does not have any significant influence on glucose metabolism (Allentuck 1944). In another study, marijuana did not produce any relevant effects on glucose metabolism after 1 to 3 days of fasting. The glucose tolerance was not affected by marijuana (Permutt et al. 1976). However, in one other study a high THC dose (6 mg intravenous) influenced the glucose tolerance test scores in some probands (Hollister and Raven 1976).
    Marijuana is actually a CNS depressant not stimulant.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

  18. #17
    thcbongman's Avatar
    thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-19-2004
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by daihashi View Post
    Taken from nova Institute: THC-Limits for Food PART 2 Section 5




    Marijuana is actually a CNS depressant not stimulant.
    None the less, it stated that cannabis smoke can exert mutagenic activity as a result of carcinogens. I think that would qualify as the "act of smoking."
    Happiness only real when shared

  19. #18
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by thcbongman View Post
    None the less, it stated that cannabis smoke can exert mutagenic activity as a result of carcinogens. I think that would qualify as the "act of smoking."

    Well I don't think I can argue that. No one would argue that. Smoking is exactly what they're talking about.

    It's not the act of smoking persay but rather what is the uptake in your lungs. Meaning it's not the carcinogen uptake but rather THC vs Nicotine.

    Nicotine is what increases energy expenditure as it is a stimulant. THC is a CNS depressant. This is why Marijuana can help many MS patients with nerve pain. Myelin becomes damaged in MS patients and chronic nerve pain can be developed. Because marijuana is a CNS depressant it numbs some of these exposed nerves helping to dull the pain.

    Just to make sure I'm not off the mark about the Nicotine being the factor and not the actual act of smoking can you show me where you got this from:

    "The act of smoking increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system."

    Because if I use that in a google search every hit that matches seems to indicate they are referring to smoking of Tobacco or cigarettes; which has nicotine in it.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

  20. #19
    thcbongman's Avatar
    thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-19-2004
    Posts
    5,122
    Ah, I see your point. I concede!
    Happiness only real when shared

  21. #20
    DrSpoof's Avatar
    DrSpoof is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb-21-2008
    Posts
    160
    i used to get the munches big time... was never overweight but had me a decent little belly. eventually i got over my need to eat when high and i find that it actually helps me control my hunger even when im not stoned.

    after all, if you can will yourself not to eat when stoned, you can will yourself not to eat anytime lol.

    DrSpiggity

  22. #21
    daihashi's Avatar
    daihashi is offline Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov-21-2007
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpoof View Post
    i used to get the munches big time... was never overweight but had me a decent little belly. eventually i got over my need to eat when high and i find that it actually helps me control my hunger even when im not stoned.

    after all, if you can will yourself not to eat when stoned, you can will yourself not to eat anytime lol.

    DrSpiggity
    Yes!

    My munchies also curved off over time. Now when I'm stoned I don't feel the need to eat a bunch of stuff.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not know how to grow/cultivate cannabis. All posts made by me are fictitious in the form of role playing a cannabis cultivator.

    The act of role playing is acting out a story/game. In this case I am participating in a Role playing game, or an RPG, of Cannabis growers.

    None of this is Real and I reitterate I have no expierence with growing or using cannabis.

    Check out my New and Improved Grow Log!!!

    Check out my Mothering Log!!!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •