Thread: Smoking after fillings

KingsBlend420 is offline Registered+

Smoking after fillings

Hey everyone...I figured this was the best place to post this.

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow and Wednesday to get multiple tiny cavities in between my teeth taken care of. They are all going to be teeth colored fillings (porcelain or whatever) and not silver fillings. I'm wondering if it is safe to smoke after getting cavities filled. I most likely won't be smoking till Friday, but is that too soon? I wouldn't want the cavities to fall out, get stained, etc...

Thanks for the help..
    GOT BLUNT?

datPiff is offline Registered
    I don't think it's too big of a deal. I mean they let you eat pretty much like a half hour after and that's exposure to any number of different attacks. While smoking isn't that bad for your teeth it's not great but I wouldn't worry. Smoking after you get teeth pulled like your wisdom teeth is another story, however, due to the negative pressure building up in your mouth as you pull and the possibility of dry sockets which are nasty painful; then again I smoked the day I had mine pulled and lived to tell.

Stay high

killerweed420 is offline Banned
    I smoked last month the same day I had a molar removed. I figured with the big warning letter they gave me about smoking I'd be dead in 5 minutes. Still kicking though.lol

birdgirl73 is offline Registered
    With fillings, Kingsblend, smoking afterward ought not to be too big a problem. Oral surgery or tooth extractions are another matter because those cut into the gums and leave open sockets and/or wounds that need to granulize and heal over, which happens at the capillary level. Smoking can interfere with that process because it impedes capillary mending and circulation, thus slowing healing and increasing the risk of infection if, for instance, a patient got a dry socket. But in the case of fillings, they're just basically drilling out decayed tooth and then filling in the indentation with the composite resin. You won't have open mouth wounds that are needing to seal over. If you do--or if you have such involved cavity cleanout that it causes any gum bleeding or soreness--you would probably want to go easy on the smoking for a day or two, yes. But if they're fairly simple fillings that don't damage the integrity of your gums, you'll probably be just fine to smoke a bit of grass if you want to. You won't likely be smoking enough that you stain the composite resin bonding. That normally takes a bit of time.

Good luck with your dental adventures! Sounds like you're going to have a pretty smile!!