Cannabis.com

Thread: Cannabis Weakens the Immune System

SmokiNomad is offline Registered+

Cannabis Weakens the Immune System

Is this a myth? Has anyone experienced this? It's plausible to me that smoking it would, but eating, vaping, or drinking would not do that at all. It seems like more government propaganda bullshit.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

I'm not a doctor, or a medical research scientist, but from my own personal experiences, and what I've seen, Yes ... as far as being more susceptible to colds, minor sinus infections, Yes, definitely ... every useful medication has side effects, and this is extremely minor, in my opinion, and well worth the trade-off ... (I also doubt it could be a serious threat to the Immune System, or they wouldn't be recommending it to AIDS patients, too)

elskeetro is offline Registered+
    It's hard to say. I smoke every day and i am rarely sick. maybe once every three years. and i NEVER go to the doctor, i NEVER eat right, and i hardly exercise.

skeet.

spiked666killer is offline Registered+
    I really don't think this is true at all, I don't get that sick really, Exept in the winter time, Though its just the common cold. But if I am sick and I do smoke. I actually think that it helps more then it does bad. Because it seams to brake up the flem and stuff, Wich is why after I'm done smoking.. I'm constantly blowing my nose or hacking the crap out.
    If the people dont have a revolution every ten years, Against the government. They will take over like wolfs -Thomas Jefferson

"Now consider this, We havnt had a revolution in nearly 40 years"

http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...log-one-3.html - - - - -First Grow Log

I do not condone to the personal use, Or Cultivation Of marijuana. Every thing I post is fictional, And or a figment of your imagination.

MadSativa is offline Registered+
    sounds like more bullshit to me, I smoke every day for over fifteen years , and knock on wood I am rarly sick

AllforMe is offline Registered+
    I say yes at times....however indirectly. As much as I hate to admit it, my smoking and staying in shape are at a constant war. Do I want to work out, then prepare a healthy meal, or do I wanna get a pizza, smoke a bong and watch the game or play xbox. Yes I know I would have that conflict without the herb, but smoking just makes it alot easier to be ok with your decision..guilt free. So while I have maintained a good diet and excercise regiment while still smoking daily in the past, as I get older I find it harder to do so. Which reminds me. I need to hit up the bowflex softball starts in a couple months!! And when your lifestyle becomes sedentary, and diet poor, your immune system takes a hit, which may be due to ones propensity to smoke rather than work out! The munchies do NOT help either!
    Oh and I do want to add that everyone is different. I do know alot of regular tokers who live very active and healthy lifstyles. Weed just amplifies one's own tendency to be lazy is all!!
    Last edited by AllforMe; Feb-22-2009 at 12:39.

Markass is offline Registered+
    I haven't been to the doctor in about fifteen years, and I've been smoking pot for about the past six..I only seem to get sick about once a year, after that my body's immune system seems to fight off any other bug that's around..I think it depends upon the individual...

In any case, I do believe that anti-biotics weaken one's immune system by doing your immune system's work for you..

I believe cannabis to actually help my immune system, but as I said, everyone's different..
    Pictures and information posted under this username are duplicated, and should in no way be taken seriously, as it is only a joke.(period)

Ron Paul is freedom

"If Tyranny and Oppression Come to this Land, it Will be in the Guise of Fighting a Foreign Enemy" - James Madison

"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

Weedhound is offline Registered+
    I personally think smoking cannabis can cause damage to the body....not because the of mj but because you are inhaling (and holding) several mataerials burned to combustion.....part of which becomes lovely things like carbon monoxide that you are taking up into your lungs along with your ganja. I would consider that harmful.
    Haze(y) Grow Log:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...-grow-log.html

"Your deeds show your character."-StinkyAttic

BuzzLightOne is offline Registered
    That could be. But for me, the medicinal benefits outweigh the risk. Besides, anything good is most always bad for you. And I think cannabis is gooood!

slateman is offline Registered
    Although I love me smoke I was diagnosed with "Marijuana Induced Psychosis" once. I really don't think that was the cause of my temporary insanity however, I just failed to tell the doctor some other substances that were in my body at the time...

Is "Marijuana Induced Psychosis" possible???

As far as the immune system is concerned I always find myself feeling much improved after a few smokes if I am sick.
    Last edited by slateman; Feb-23-2009 at 21:31.

DiabeticWarrior is offline Registered

Question Diabetes

Hello, guys! I am new here. My name is Waleed. I am 32 yrs old from Egypt and I have been diabetic (type 1) since I was 11 years old. I saw the video "Run from the Cure" where he mentions that hemp oil (from buds and leaves not seeds) cure diabetes. Anyone tried this and can confirms it please? Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by elskeetro View Post
    It's hard to say. I smoke every day and i am rarely sick. maybe once every three years. and i NEVER go to the doctor, i NEVER eat right, and i hardly exercise.

skeet.

potlover33 is offline Registered
    Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Studies further suggest that marijuana is a general "immunosuppressant" whose degenerative influence extends beyond the respiratory system. Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker's body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. Obviously, this suggests the conclusion, which is well-supported by scientific studies, that the use of marijuana as a medical therapy can and does have a very serious negative effect on patients with pre-existing immune deficits resulting from AIDS, organ transplantation, or cancer chemotherapy, the very conditions for which marijuana has most often been touted and suggested as a treatment. It has also been shown that marijuana use can accelerate the progression of HIV to full-blown AIDS and increase the occurrence of infections and Kaposi's sarcoma. In addition, patients with weak immune systems will be even less able to defend themselves against the various respiratory cancers and conditions to which consistent marijuana use has been linked, and which are discussed briefly under "Respiratory Illnesses."

In conclusion, it seems that the potential dangers presented by the medical use of marijuana may actually contribute to the dangers of the diseases which it would be used to combat. Marijuana as a therapy, at least until a good deal more conclusive research has been completed concerning its debilitating effect on the immune system, is up to your consent.

greenghost is offline Registered+
    id say yes it does; but there are other factors involved. i happen to have lack of sleep this wk so i think that was contributed to the crappy cold i have now. however i did find an article about therapeutic uses of cannabis.

Potential Therapeutic Uses of Medical Cannabis

Cattsy is offline Registered+
    My two cents... FWIW

I believe, that as a species, our general state of health is MUCH lower than it was in times gone past. Despite our "advances" in medicine, I think that we, and our bodies, have gotten "out of touch" with our natural rythyms.

EVERYTHING weakens the immune system. The smog you breath in from cars and vehicles, the chemicals and crap we use in our homes, the preservatives and shit in our food, the vaccines and antibiotics and drugs we take for our symptoms, the petro-chemical synthetic crap called "vitamins"...

Everytime we breath in, everytime we put something in our mouths, everytime we touch something our immune system is "challenged" we dont' live in bubbles or sterile environments.

I think the arguement that pot "lowers the immune system" is a moot point. Of COURSE it does, it's something "outside" that we are putting into our bodies, which means our bodies have to evaluate it and decide wether it's a risk or not. The more the immune system is "challenged" in artificial ways, the less able it is to defend itself against the most common of challenges. Something like smoking, like someone else mentioned, is also introducing foreign bodies into our lungs, which can cause physical damage, which stimulates the body to gt rid of it, which in turn causes an immune/healing response, which keeps the body from fighting off other challenges...

(I know I'm rambling, I'm stoned I get philosophical when I'm baked)

I guess in summary, sure it lowers the immune system, but its risk vs benefit, just like anything else we put in our bodies (ei "is that fast food meal, thats full of preservatives, additives, chemicals and crap really worth the quick meal" Sure it might be but your guts wll probably hate you later )

Pay It Forward is offline Registered+
    Hi Cattsey, there's nothing wrong with going to MickeyD'S once or twice a month. Think moderation.

Lowering immune system....I've used edibles for years (everyday). I'm now 58 and have an excellent immune system.

PIF

Cattsy is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay It Forward View Post
    Hi Cattsey, there's nothing wrong with going to MickeyD'S once or twice a month. Think moderation.

Lowering immune system....I've used edibles for years (everyday). I'm now 58 and have an excellent immune system.

PIF
    Even I get a craving for Mcrotten's every once and awhile Moderations is defenitely the key, more was trying to make a point that we challenge our immune systems all the time, and a bit of pot is the least of our worries guess that didn't come over very clear lol

FlyinPolynesian is offline Registered+
    You gotta keep in mind Diet affects the immune system on a large level as well. If you mix in a bad diet and heavy smoking I would say its possible. I am not an MD just an RN whoʻs in School for Bio Mechanical Engineering and Neurosciences.

But keep in mind that somewhere around 50% or regular Cannabis Smokers are also Cigarette Smokers as well and Cigarettes for fact lower the immune system.

But there are so many Variables involved itʻs hard to say certain.
    Hahai Ka 'Oia'i'o a me maluhia a Ola
    My First Grow and Log.....My GnarTard Grow log