Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannabis for weight loss?

Purple Banana is offline Registered+

Cannabis for weight loss?

I know, it sounds kind of backward with the whole munchies ordeal, but I think I have worked it out.

Scientists say that compulsive eating, and over eating in general is deemed as addictive as crack, heroin, ect. I don't know if it's completely true, but that would explain the epidemic of obesity in this country. About 75% of the nurses I work with are considered obese- having proper medical training, and knowing full well the consequenses of being overweight, I can see the addiction potential.

Scientists have shown eating stimulates seratonin release in the brain, and all of those other feel-good chemicals as well. The overeater can build a tolerance, persay, to the amount and types of food that trigger these chemical releases in the brain. This leads to eating more to get that feel-good chemical release in the brain, not unlike a heroin addict's need for more heroin to feel the same.

Heroin and overeating can both kill you, though, in a matter of time, the heroin will probably do you in faster. Overeating for a long period of time raises your cholesterol, risk for diabetes, heart issues, and a myriad of problems.

New studies have shown relatively good success in weaning heroin addicts off heroin by using cannabis. Methadone for both crack and heroin users used to be the ideal treatment, but the users simply went from one addiction to the next. Methadone is very bad for the body, but has a lower risk of fatality. Cannabis delivers that feel-good sensation, while helping the body to recover from harder drugs.

Because cannabis delivers those neurotransmitters more effectively than food consumption, could it possibly be used for weight loss?

Munchies come up a good deal as a side effect of smoking cannabis, however, I have found there are some strains that don't give me the munchies; others make me want to eat like a fiend. If we could isolate a certain strain that doesn't cause munchies as severly, this could actually work.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Hey man, you got a joint?

It'd be a lot cooler if you did...

Chainsaw1234 is offline Registered+
    hmm possibility! i might try it, what do i do, smoke when im hungry??

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Well I'm on it!
    I'm on a beer vacation until I lose a bunch of weight. Using the ganj instead. Even with munchies I expect success! And My neighbor is doing it with me. We're having a contest!
    Alcohol is wicked fattening.

MastaChronic is offline Banned
    ive done it, the shrink doctors had me on antidepressants and shit for bipolar and the pills made me gain weight.
    then i quit using them, started eating just one meal a day and started smoking a whole lot more weed. weed raises the metabolism (i think, i could be wrong) and the heightened metablic rate plus the lack of food forced my body to consume its fat reserves and im now skinny as a mofo. i still only eat one meal a day.

I'm assuming find a food you like that's really low calorie, that you can munch on, and drink a lot of a low calorie drink (not diet, diet drinks are bad for you)

I'll have more information as my experiment progresses...

orangeman is offline Banned
    If weed can cause weight lose then I need to quit smoking because I'm already underweight for my age lol.

LOL, I'm nto saying it CAUSES weight loss, but it's a good indicator. This past week, I've been smoking about .5 gm every day (rare for me), and I only eat maybe 400 calories per day? Whereas normally, I'd have to eat about 1500. I've lost like 7 pounds this week, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Banana View Post
    I only eat maybe 400 calories per day?
    That's REALLY unhealthy.
    Your weigfht loss has nothing to do with weed.. you're starving yourself!!!
    You need to eat a MINIMUM of 800 calories a day to not put yourself at risk for malnutrition, etc.
    Consume QUALITY calories instead of fewer.
    If you did a program like weight watchers they would yell at you and say to go home and eat something.

MastaChronic is offline Banned
    GO HOME AND EAT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

dutch.lover is offline Registered+
    If you wanna lose weight do it the healthy way. Eat a well-balanced, low fat (ie healthy) diet, get plenty of exercise, and try to stay as destressed as possible. Not only is this healthier, it is probably more effective and pleasant than starving yourself. Plus, you think eating 400 calories a day is helping you out- guess again. If you get your body used to so little calories, then you get to the weight you want and start eating normally again- you will balloon up. Literally, you will pack on a lot of weight once you quit your 'diet'. You don't want to put yourself into a vicious circle like that.
    New Flowering Log-------> http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post1317077

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Greenjeans View Post
    I like hot makeup sex though, so sometimes I'll pick a fight just to get laid. I know it's wrong, but it's effective.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified

I eat about 3000 calories per day normally, and now I only eat around 2000. I am into competetive swimming, so it ends up being about 400 calories left over at the end, as I burn about 2000 calories per workout

I've been swimming for years, and never lost weight until I started smoking more often as of late. I would never (nor could ever) eat only 400 calories per day. But I believe it does supress hunger.

dutch.lover is offline Registered+
    I munch out really bad at night when i smoke, and i have been doing this every night for the past 4 months- and i haven't gained any weight. i don't particularily get a lot of exercise- so maybe smoking weed is what keeps me svelte.
    New Flowering Log-------> http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/...ml#post1317077

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Greenjeans View Post
    I like hot makeup sex though, so sometimes I'll pick a fight just to get laid. I know it's wrong, but it's effective.

Update!
    I am on day 3 of no alcohol and just the ganj...
    Eating the same... last night I had a big greasy pork roast thing that my neighbor cooked, with spaghetti-squash and potato pancakes.
    Dropped 3 pounds already!
    woot.
    I guess it's true that that beer with dinner DOES make your body metabolize fat differently! It wasn't like I was drinking more than a beer or 2 a night even. So the difference is only about 200 calories a day... but no alcohol.

thcbongman is offline Registered+
    Weight fluctuates given how much water is in your system. Weight yourself at the same point each week (ex. monday, before breakfast) to give yourself the approximate correct weight.

Don't mean to discourage you in anyway!!! Those beers do it for ya, cut that out, and you'll lose weight in no time.

But for those that eat 1 meal, or less than 1000 calories, bad move, you are only weakening your metabolism.

If you want to lose fat, lift weight first, then run. In that order, you'll build muscle, and burn fat at the same time. Just don't do too much cardio that it'll waste your entire strength training for the day.

"Hey, man, after I weight train for about an hour, I have to smoke a blunt. It's part of the new weight loss regimen..."

Yeah, lifting weights allows your body to metabolize things faster and more efficiently, especially glucose.

I weigh myself at the same time of day... always first thing in the morning.

Splifted is offline Registered+
    Everything i've ever read about weight loss suggests that if you lose a lot of weight by starving yourself/eating one meal a day, 6-8 out of 10 of the lbs you lose is muscle. You are much better off eating 5-6 smaller, balanced meals a day. It speeds up the metabolism, eating 1 meal a day slows it down, so although you may lose weight, you will be losing mostly muscle & a little fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizard_king
    i think at one point i might have fed my plant sprite : (
    w00t, finally harvested (01/12/07) 14.6 oz wet

Dutch Pimp is online now Registered+

Wink

...I my opinion...it's the harvest time....not the strain...that causes the munchies.....early harvest= munchies......late havest= no munchies (too stoned to eat)....works that way for me....enjoy..

Clairey is offline Registered
    Before I had my Daughter I lost over 2 stone just by smoking weed daily and I eat like a pig on it lol

Web Smoker is offline Registered+
    Cannibis raises you heatrate soo if you dont eat munchies after you smoke you will lose weight...... try smoking before bed and dont eat
    "If it turns out that cannabis is the cure for cancer and the government suppressed this information for 25 years and continues to suppress it, then the body count alone will make this the biggest holocaust in recorded history," Cushing writes
    <br> any posts made by me are purely fictional and are not real<br>
    Smoke weed every day

Bong Breaker is offline Registered
    Hmmmm, that's interesting. Im 17 and I weigh about 155 lbs, I smoke pot multiple times a day and I find it hard to gain any weight. I've been smoking for 5 years and it's always been hard for me to gain weight. Maybe your on to something.... or maybe im a complete idiot? Most likely both.

someuser is offline Registered+
    I think some of it is also training your mind not to eat after/when smoking. When I first started smoking I would make taco bell runs before crashing out and then McDonald runs in the morning after my 'wake & bake'. Needless to say I put on 10lbs over the next few months.

Lately I've just been focusing on enjoying the mj and not allowing myself to eat too much (usually not at all) when toking. If I really find the need to eat and I dont want to I'll usually do one or two shots of cuervo. Minimum calories yet surprisingly filling

I went from 183lbs to 173lbs over the course of this month. Which is close to the 2lbs per week rule. Best part about it, I didnt have to spend one minute in the gym... I still plan on getting back into a regular workout routine but point is, I think mj can help one lose weight... It's all about focusing your mind

mushypeas is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Banana View Post
    I know, it sounds kind of backward with the whole munchies ordeal, but I think I have worked it out.

Scientists say that compulsive eating, and over eating in general is deemed as addictive as crack, heroin, ect. I don't know if it's completely true, but that would explain the epidemic of obesity in this country. About 75% of the nurses I work with are considered obese- having proper medical training, and knowing full well the consequenses of being overweight, I can see the addiction potential.

Scientists have shown eating stimulates seratonin release in the brain, and all of those other feel-good chemicals as well. The overeater can build a tolerance, persay, to the amount and types of food that trigger these chemical releases in the brain. This leads to eating more to get that feel-good chemical release in the brain, not unlike a heroin addict's need for more heroin to feel the same.

Heroin and overeating can both kill you, though, in a matter of time, the heroin will probably do you in faster. Overeating for a long period of time raises your cholesterol, risk for diabetes, heart issues, and a myriad of problems.

New studies have shown relatively good success in weaning heroin addicts off heroin by using cannabis. Methadone for both crack and heroin users used to be the ideal treatment, but the users simply went from one addiction to the next. Methadone is very bad for the body, but has a lower risk of fatality. Cannabis delivers that feel-good sensation, while helping the body to recover from harder drugs.

Because cannabis delivers those neurotransmitters more effectively than food consumption, could it possibly be used for weight loss?

Munchies come up a good deal as a side effect of smoking cannabis, however, I have found there are some strains that don't give me the munchies; others make me want to eat like a fiend. If we could isolate a certain strain that doesn't cause munchies as severly, this could actually work.

What are your thoughts on this?
    when i smoke i get all hypo i cant sit down or shut up lol it over powers the munchies i exercise so much wen im high i dont wanna eat, if i dont smoke i put weight on i get lazy
    Last edited by mushypeas; Dec-22-2006 at 10:34. Reason: i forgot a comma
    yeah its mushypeas please

apHytHiaTe is offline Registered
    I really don't find it that hard to abstain from eating when high, no matter if I smoke dank or mids or cheap brick regs. I always think "well, if I eat... it'll kill my high" so I usually don't eat. Plus I smoke at night, usually after dinner or later, so the compulsion to eat a lot is rather low. I do sometimes overeat or get munchies, but not very often. And I have very poor self control... Its just easier to not eat when you're really high... because walking downstairs to the fridge is a long way LOL.

Abattoir Dream is offline Registered+
    if you want to lose weight... try some stupid drugs... not sit on your arse and eat food drugs...
    I'm THE Abattoir, abnormal abnormalities
    I have fantasies, while i blab formalities
    and stab happy families in the back with fat calories,
    I'm broke still lookin for contracts and salaries..
    I can, stick to this, ill be doin this forever,
    I tell a fella never to fuck when im under weather
    I severe an acapella, punch holes in a portrait
    preserve words of gold in pottasium sorbate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast