Thread: Cinnamon keeps ants out?

WynOSmokeZ is offline Registered+

Cinnamon keeps ants out?

I just read that cinnamon repels ants in the garden, anyone ever try this? Just put some down on my corn that I'm growin to test it out cause it had some red ants takin from my soil. I just simply sprinkled it on the top of the soil, and watered it. Anyone know how to get rid of these pesty colonies another way?

orangeman is offline Banned
    Ground cinnamon yes, at our house we have ants and it worked there and I put it in my room and it worked great. Ant traps work too. Those little green ant traps with the holes that you bend down with a key or something, those work really great. Used three of them and haven't seen an ant since.

What if i mixed some cinnamon into soil then transplanted my plant into the ground with the cinnamon soil? My biggest fear is transplanting into ground and having these ants take my hard work into their own hands, cause theres a shit load of em around. How bout boric acid? I just dont wanna kill my plants. Write back I need your help.

Orangeman, I used these ant bait traps, but they dont seem to work on these red ants, only the smaller black ones. Seems like these red ants dont like things that are sweet so they don't touch the bait.

orangeman is offline Banned
    I don't have red ants.

Don't stop there, still need some tips from yall.

Storm Crow is offline Registered+
    Indoors, if the little buggers are coming in- find the spot they are entering and plug it with any brand of white mint toothpaste! The detergent in it upsets their tummies, they hate mint, and the abrasive does a job on their jaws! They absolutely will NOT chew through it!

Outdoors, folks used to plant pennyroyal, a member of the mint family by their doors to discourage ants from entering. Any large nursery should have it with the herbs. Lastly, gather up all those cigarette butts and make some nasty "tea". Pour it down the ant hole. Sends them into convulsions!- Granny

Well, I'm not growing indoors, I'm growing outdoors. And to be perfectly honest, there could be a lot of ant hills cause the place im growing at is like a field that hasn't been taken care of. Dried grass, a lotta dirt, hardly any green. So u can imagine any pest around there would want a taste of the only green thing around. So i'm just lookin for something thats gonna draw them away from the grow. Maybe putting a ring around the plant of that white mint toothepaste would help....you think? Or would they simply just go under it LOL. Please write back.....anyone

reality0 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WynOSmokeZ View Post
    What if i mixed some cinnamon into soil then transplanted my plant into the ground with the cinnamon soil? My biggest fear is transplanting into ground and having these ants take my hard work into their own hands, cause theres a shit load of em around..

very interested... anyone know if that would actually work?

im still wondering myself

tandream is offline Registered
    are ants always a problem, only I watch them run up and down mine and they take the black and greenfly away?

highguyinny is offline Registered+
    I'll have to try this out if I end up having any pest problems, but I doubt I will seeing as how I will be growing on a second/third floor balcony of a condo complex.