Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!

Hello all!
    The "what strain should I grow in xxxxxxxxxxx?" question is asked often enough to merit an FAQ entry, but I figured this would be a good place to stick a more interactive list of strains.

Here's the deal:
    Post up the names of strains you have grown successfully, to harvest, in your area, and give the REGION and type of landscape in which you grew them successfully. If you had failures, such as mold, post up the info for that too. Or just copy the little form thing here and fill it out for your standby outdoor strains!

I'll give an example:

Region: US Northeast
    Landscape: SE facing scrubby hillside
    Breeder: BOG
    Strain: SourBubble BX3
    Success/failure?: Success
    Major problem: None
    Finish date: App. October 1
    Comments: Fast finish but bud density is fluffier than the same strain grown outdoors

Got it? Cool.
    Reminder- please don't hotlink to seed vendors.

FrostAie is offline Registered+
    sounds like a pretty good plan i put 4 babies to the ground last night because of the warm weather here.

JADelic is offline Registered
    This would be so much better if there were actual experiences posted... Ima grow some and I"ll post but until then I got no info... :*(

McLovin is offline Registered+
    threw a bagseed in the corner of my florida backyard sometime in january as an experiment to prove to my girlfriend that marijuana is a 'weed' and can really grow with almost no efforts at all. No major problems except for slight yellowing in the leaves around 2 weeks before harvest(Apr27th). Probably from either salts in the dirt, or even chlorine from our close by pool. I watered her maybe 6 times in the 4.5month lifecycle, and she got maybe 6 to 7 hours of light a day.

I was going to post pictures but its a hassle since i took them on my phone i have to email them to myself, then save, and yatta yatta yatta. anyways, its VERY hairy and has lots of trichromes on it. I definitly wish I had more info on maybe what strain it may have originated from. I cured different batches with cherry shisha, coffee shisha, and strawberry daquiri shisha. I am about to smoke a blunt of it now, so nighty night! lol

wskdigital is offline Registered
    Region: Alaska
    Landscape: Spruce Forest
    Strain: Lowryder 2
    Success/Failure: Success
    Finish Date: Mid September
    Problem(s): Rabbits ate about 1/3 of the plants
    Comments: Had to haul in my own soil because the forest soil is nutrient-less and to acidic. Also the plants that were planted with natural barriers (like fallen trees or dense brush) were not touched by the rabbits.

Peace!

choncharoncha is offline Registered

Smallest fully flowered marijuana plant!!

I just harvested the smallest plant ever. Total height of the plant was 6" from the root ball. Total harvest will be somewhere around a gram (dried and cured of course). I do not know the strain but it looks and smells very good. Is it a certain strain that grows like this? I grew it in the same pot as another plant and had a third in its own pot. The other two plants surpassed the little guy "Mini Me", very quickly during vegging. I almost cut it out when I induced flowering but I thought what the hell? So it spit out little white pistols. Female...cool. So I harvested right at 60 days. Trics looked good and ready even thought the plant was only 6 inches tall and the stem was thinner than a 16 penny nail. The other two plants grew perfectly normal. Anyone know why my plant was so small? Anyone ever heard of a smaller fully flowered marijuana plane? Thanks.

greenatik is offline Registered+
    i had 3 GDP clones only get 5 inches tall before the cut. they were from a medical club and obviously did not like the outdoors because they never wanted to grow

i am pretty sure your plant didnt grow from some kind of stress

Teazintoo is offline Registered+
    I'm in the southwest and I've done well w/SuperSilverHaze,Supercrazy,Mistree.This year is crazed.

tomm01 is offline Registered+
    I haven't personally grown but almost everybody says these are perfect for Australian climates.

It is called 'Old Mother Sativa' or Mullum-Madness
    Region: Australia mostly NSW
    Landscape: Warmer, tropical type climate, low humidity
    Breeder: Mullum-Madman
    Strain: Sativa's crossed from Papua New Guinea Gold and Thailand strains. He called it Old Mother Sativa.
    Success/failure?: Success for them, been growing in the town of Nimbin for centuries.
    Major problem: Can't grow indoors, even under strictly controlled climate it just gets too big.
    Finish date: ........
    Comments: This town is the only town in Australia to celebrate weed so openly, they have awards, pubs that sell hash brownies, prohibition protest days every year etc etc

Although I haven't grown this, or at least I don't think so, chances are one of my bagseeds was this.... All the comments about it are great and they say it's the biggest plant ever. Gets to about 20 feet I think was the biggest and it yielded 15 pounds.
    Last edited by tomm01; Jun-30-2008 at 20:31.

LolaGal is offline Registered+
    Region: South
    Landscape: Creek bottom land, hid in middle of pile dead trees.
    Strain: Skunk
    Success/failure: Success
    Major Problem: Poachers, thieves. (only shot 3 lol)
    Finish date: Nov.1
    Comments: 15 + feet tall, 2.5 lbs plant average, planted & left alone to fend for itself

lunarose is offline Registered+
    Region: west S.Ca
    Strains: White Widow, Swiss Miss, bagseed,
    Landscape: greenhouse backyard
    Success/failure: 2 Success 1 failure
    Major Problem: First grow I killed all but one plant from giving them way too many nutes very ugly I also have had problem with some kind of insect that I have never been able to identify whatever it was it lived in the soil and would eat all the leaves off the small seedlings neem oil and other safe sprays did nothing
    Finish date: Oc.1
    Comments: Planted in soil in 15g pots I use miracle grow soil that I mix with earthworm casings, perlite and vermite Feed them Fox Farm products

bcgrown is offline Registered+

Region: "WEST" Southern British Columbia Canada
    Landscape: Farm Field lots of east to west sun coverage.
    Breeder: VSB
    Strain: Kushx
    Major problem: lower Yeild
    Finish date: App. Oct 15
    Comments: Quick flower but smaller compact buds. All ended up at 3.5 feet around 1.5-2 oz a plant.

MY 2007 outdoor Kush grow
    Last edited by bcgrown; Jul-21-2008 at 14:34.

brussels is offline Registered+
    Region: Central Texas costal
    Landscape: 30'x15' bed hidden by deck/house and surrounded by large potted plants. 6 1/2 hours full E to W sun

Strain: C99cNL
    Success/failure?: success
    Major problem: some leaf mold in Sept
    Finish date: mid Oct
    Comments: treated mold w/2 tsp soda + 2 drops liquid dish detergent in quart spray bottle. Incredable yield; i used tent pegs to tie plants horizontally.

Strain: Apollo11xC99
    Comments: All same as above, with a bit more leaf mold, that i had to wash off with fingers and soda solution. About 20% less yield, but made up for it with a very citrus scent and taste

Photos were taken mid Sept, about a month before harvesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-stealth-c99-nl.jpg   Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-stealth-c99-nl-b.jpg   Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-stealth-c99-nl-c.jpg  

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-stealth-c99-nl-d.jpg   Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-c99nl.jpg  

altoids is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by wskdigital View Post
    Region: Alaska
    Landscape: Spruce Forest
    Strain: Lowryder 2
    Success/Failure: Success
    Finish Date: Mid September
    Problem(s): Rabbits ate about 1/3 of the plants
    Comments: Had to haul in my own soil because the forest soil is nutrient-less and to acidic. Also the plants that were planted with natural barriers (like fallen trees or dense brush) were not touched by the rabbits.

Peace!
    Can you give me the Longitude of where you grew?

Also, when in the season did you start?

madeline is offline Registered+
    Luna, it sounds like you have 'leaf cutters' too. They're those long skinny brownish-black bugs with a split tail...about an inch or so long. They live under rocks, leaves and other ground cover but keeping the ground clear won't keep them away. They snip off the seedlings about an 1/8" from ground level leaving a tiny little stump. I use an aluminum can with the ends cut off as a barrier to keep them off of seedlings (they don't bother older plants that have already hardened their 'trunks'). Take your can with the ends cut off (a serrated steak or bread knife works best to saw off the ends) and center it over the seedling or seed if you plant directly into the ground then press gently into the ground a bit so nothing can crawl under it and it'll keep them safe from pretty much all crawling bugs but especially safe from the leaf cutters.

Good Luck
    Last edited by madeline; Oct-02-2008 at 11:05.

midniter is offline Registered+

Smile

US North Carolina
    Landscape: Low spot & 5 plants to a container in Large kiddie pools camflouged,works absolutely great with no bugs to bother it.
    Breeder: Outside
    Strain: BIG BUDDA CHEESE & A.M.S
    Success:great
    Major problem:At the end of budding the limbs started breaking from the weight of the buds had to tie limbs back up
    Finish date: App. October 18th
    Comments:Was my best outdoor grow ever they grew to 11 to 12 foot high and the smoke was absolutely great.I have grown all ways outside and tried planting in ground around here and some kind of worm or bug would always get to them & what did make it through never made much so i went to the pool idea!For anyone having trouble ouside with heavy digging or bug problems this idea will help you just buy caomflouge paint and paint them let them dry take them to your pre spot u choosen make sure to cut holes in botton of pool,& then buy cow manure and perfect mix potting soil with some pete moss & vermiculite,& i assure you that if the creepers dont find them you will be happy in flowering season.LOL
    Last edited by midniter; Nov-28-2008 at 07:14.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by midniter View Post
    US North Carolina
    Landscape: Low spot & 5 plants to a container in Large kiddie pools camflouged,works absolutely great with no bugs to bother it.
    Breeder: Outside
    Strain: BIG BUDDA CHEESE & A.M.S
    Success:great
    Major problem:At the end of budding the limbs started breaking from the weight of the buds had to tie limbs back up
    Finish date: App. October 18th
    Comments:Was my best outdoor grow ever they grew to 11 to 12 foot high and the smoke was absolutely great.I have grown all ways outside and tried planting in ground around here and some kind of worm or bug would always get to them & what did make it through never made much so i went to the pool idea!For anyone having trouble ouside with heavy digging or bug problems this idea will help you just buy caomflouge paint and paint them let them dry take them to your pre spot u choosen make sure to cut holes in botton of pool,& then buy cow manure and perfect mix potting soil with some pete moss & vermiculite,& i assure you that if the creepers dont find them you will be happy in flowering season.LOL
    (I forgot to add that alittle play sand mixed in too & a few cedar bushes cut and layed around to help to hide them.

Dutch Pimp is online now Registered+
    Excellent results, nice tip!...midniter...

I broke two pick axes around here...trying to dig a hole......

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post
    Excellent results, nice tip!...midniter...

I broke two pick axes around here...trying to dig a hole......
    Anytime pimp,i went through the samething hard ground ph balance from ground & critters,so i was washing my big bulldog oneday in the pool and bam it gave me the idea lol!

nysurf is offline Registered
    Kiddie pool. Available on craigslist for like $10 tops? Siiiiick idea. Thank you. Im frankensteining everyones ideas and and putting them together. Will post results in oct. hahaha. tanksl

wman44 is offline Registered+
    Region: US midwest (ohio valley)
    Landscape: west facing, open to the north and south, wooded area to the east
    Breeder: nirvana
    Strain: white widow
    Success/failure?: mixed
    Major problem: drought in august
    Finish date: App. mid-late october
    Comments: nice dense colas, nearly nothing lower down on the plant, finished at about 7 feet tall, yeilds were severly diminished due to drought (dont rely on polymer crystals to get ya through a dry spell )

same location
    strain2: bella chaio
    success failure?: mixed
    Major problem: drought in august
    Finish Date: mid-september
    Comments: small popcorn buds all over plant, main colas were small as well,
    at time of harvest some areas of the plant were so dry i was able to pick a bud off the plant and smoke it right there , i've had much much better results with this strain indoors.

this year im doing white widow, zae, bella chaio, and my own cross im working on that is an afghani x purple kush pollen crossed with a sativa dominant sweet tooth and another indica dominant sweet tooth that turned purple.
    these will be put outside whenever the corn fields are tall enough and the farmers aren't spiking the soil with anhydrous ammonia

mids

michigan mids baby
    i live in michigan and grew some mids here on my porch untill it was 4 foot then moved it to my woods
    put it in a spot in the woods were it gets about 10-4-10 (the 4 being indirect sunlight)
    but its eather a male or a hermie so T_T

... and my own cross im working on that is an afghani x purple kush pollen crossed with a sativa dominant sweet tooth and another indica dominant sweet tooth that turned purple...
    - hey if i could get some of those seeds from u leme know sounds killer

bickeybammer is offline Registered+
    Region: northern cali
    Landscape: backyard next to tomato plants
    Breeder: found the seeds in a 8th of purple urkle i got from the club then the the really skunky smelling pheno Hermied and gave me some nice seeds
    Strainurple urkle
    Major problem: None
    Finish date: looks like late september
    Comments: she work good as a mother for clones.... can produce some nice size nugs with a ton of trichs ... starting to give off a nice purple look and sweet skunk smell... one of my fav strains ever!!!

pics take september 5

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-dscf1103.jpg

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-dscf1105.jpg

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-dscf1104.jpg

Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-dscf1107.jpg

smithy123 is offline Registered+
    grow them big in uk
    cheese 6ft by 6ft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outdoor strain successes by region- post yours!-dscf0098.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast