Thread: the garlic and peppers mix for pests

tha_green_ghost is offline Registered+

the garlic and peppers mix for pests

Well obviously I have a little problem with pests (growing outdoors) and I was checking out the FAQs and saw that the garlic and pepper spray method. It sayz something like not to spray on the bud sites during flowering.....correct?
    Okay well my plant isn't budding yet and my main concern is that these bugs have been eating my leaves...however, when my plant does bud (which should attract them more) how would I keep these darn thangs away from my buds?

Also, when it buds and I use this spray, wouldn't it leave my buds tasting like garlic and hot sauce? Just wondering because I'd really like to keep my plant safe and free of harm.
    THNX

keeko is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_green_ghost View Post
    Well obviously I have a little problem with pests (growing outdoors) and I was checking out the FAQs and saw that the garlic and pepper spray method. It sayz something like not to spray on the bud sites during flowering.....correct?
    Okay well my plant isn't budding yet and my main concern is that these bugs have been eating my leaves...however, when my plant does bud (which should attract them more) how would I keep these darn thangs away from my buds?

Also, when it buds and I use this spray, wouldn't it leave my buds tasting like garlic and hot sauce? Just wondering because I'd really like to keep my plant safe and free of harm.
    THNX
    aside from spraying a flowering plant and getting garlic pepper taste, you will be very supseptable to mold.

your from texas.?....what kind of bugs eating your crop? grasshoppers, thats what gets me a lot here? theres not much you can do but stomp on the lil bastards when you see them.
    " knowledge is not power, knowledge is potential power"

"those who follow the herd step in SHIT"

texas grass is offline Registered+
    Natural Organic Pest Control
    Insecticide and Pesticide Using Herbs and Natural Methods

© Sally Morton

May 29, 2007
    A Safe Garden is a Haven, (c) 2007 Sally Morton
    Methods of pest control, bug control, insecticide, pesticide, and herbs as organic pest and insect control, flea and tick control. Do it yourself gardening pest control.

Insect and pest control does not have to involve commercial poison - there are a wide variety of safer, natural insecticide and pesticide recipes, as well as control any gardening pest with herbs and natural organic pest control. The important thing to remember when you are trying to get rid of the "bad" pests is that there are many good insects, such as lady bugs, bees and butterflies, which may be killed by commercial poisons - even if it was not your intention.

Another thing to bear in mind is that even though a pesticide may be organic, it still might harm beneficial insects. The happy balance is attained when you use natural pest control that harms only the pests and lets the beneficial insects live. It is best to spray directly on any pests you see, or plant the herbs near your vegetables. These are some effective natural and herbal pest control methods:
    Caterpillar Pest Control

Hand picking for caterpillars is very effective. Just pluck them off and remove them from the garden. The garlic and red pepper spray and the wormwood spray below work well for moth caterpillars.
    Garlic and Red Pepper Spray

Cut up one unpeeled onion and one unpeeled head of garlic. Add with one heaping tablespoon of red pepper to three pints water in a saucepan. Cook about 20 minutes on low heat. Let the spray cool. Pour it in glass jars and cover with a lid. It will keep in the refrigerator over a month. When you are ready to use the herbal spray, use one tablespoon per pint of water. Adding Ivory Snow increases effectiveness (soapy water is a good natural pest control by itself if you spray it directly on the insect.)

Rabbit deterrent

Pepper spray is often given as a good rabbit deterrent but consider a wire fence around the perimeter of your garden. That may save you the frustration of having all your leafy greens become gourmet rabbit food. Pepper sprinkled on the ground around your plants may work as a deterrent. Some people recommend bath powder with talc.
    Geranium

Red spider mites steer clear of oil of geranium. Plant it near grapes and corn to repel cabbage worm too.
    Horseradish

Deters potato bugs.

Hyssop

Plant it in vegetable and flower gardens as an insect repellant - particularly good against white butterfly. It is recommended as a good companion planting for cabbages and grapes. But don't plant it near radishes.

Lavender and Lavender Bags

Helps deter mice, ticks and moths. Attracts butterflies.

Mint

Spreads prolifically, so keep it contained. It deters fleas, ants, mice and cabbage butterfly. Don't plant it near parsley.

Oregano

Repels cabbage butterfly and cucumber beetle if planted near cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber and grape vine.

Rue

Repels flies, and deters dogs and cats. It's great planted near strawberries and fig trees.

Tansy

Works to repel ants, flies, fleas and moths, especially good near fruit trees. You can crush the leaves and rub it on an animalís fur to repel fleas.

Thyme

Deters cabbage worm when planted near cole crops (cabbage, collard, broccoli, etc.)

Wormwood

The plant itself is a deterrent to slugs and snails. It can be made into an effective herbal insecticide spray against slugs, snails and caterpillars. To make wormwood insecticide spray, simmer leaves in at least three pints of water. Strain, cool and store in glass jars. You may add soapy water to increase effectiveness.
    More about Herb Gardening and Organic Gardening
    just tryin to live the good life with my friend and wife now its time to and stay and be a
    http://boards.cannabis.com/basic-gro...-dankness.html
    complete guide to mothers clones and trimming roots http://www.cannabase.com/cl/index.html
    these last 2 links have most grow books to read http://greenmanspage.com/guides/ growmoreweed.com

tha_green_ghost is offline Registered+
    Actually (i think) my problem is with these little spiders. I've actually killed two or three of them in the past month or so as they were hiding under the leaves. They can be a challenge to catch by hand since they're so small.
    I'm also thinking there might be something else too, just judging by the damage done to the leaves. There's some leaves with patches missing, and some have a little trail of missing chlorophyll.

I was considering using garlic powder around the perimeter, just for the fact that that's pretty much all I have around the house as of now. However I have no idea how effective it would be. Anyhow....thanx for the advice fellas.

keeko is offline Registered+
    Neem oil will also work and is organic.

hope you dont mean spider mites when you say little spiders. no bueno with those.
    " knowledge is not power, knowledge is potential power"

"those who follow the herd step in SHIT"

ceilingbeds is offline Registered

so...

this will probably frustrate a lot of you as much as I am frustrated, but there is just so many different opinions out there for marijuana cultivation. and when it comes to insecticides it is no different.

I have heard neem oil should only be used in the early stages....heard it will change the taste of your buds. I have heard garlic oil is absolutely the best!!!! but....it is not an insecticide...it doesn't kill them...it prevents them from getting to your plant in the first place....so it needs to applied right away...but the problem is a lot of pests are transplanted with the clones when you buy them so they are already there. a great site i have found for some stuff is Neptune's Harvest All Natural Organic Fertilizer they were advertising in mother earth news. great looking stuff. if you see the garlic spray it talks about how it will not affect the taste of your vegetables...i keep meaning to get a hold of them and ask about marijuana or fruits. i know most people compare tomatoes to marijuana because they are both heat loving plants, but how far does the comparison go is what i've always wondered. and then like the original poster in this thread was saying the FAQ say don't use garlic spray or pepper spray in the flowering stage.

I have heard hot pepper wax type of spray is a great insecticide...does kill the pests.

So i have heard lots of good stuff, seems to be a sound solution for how to prevent, and kill the pests in the veg stage...but what to do in the flower stage..i still don't feel like there is a great recommendation...

anyone got any organic products they have come across that are pesticides that can be used through harvest...i'm pretty sure that would be ideal... definately key though...organic... i'm not worried about spraying and killing the butterflies, bees, and lady bugs...the only reason i would want them in my weed garden is if they were going to do the job better than anything else...and that is rarely the case...they can hang out in my other gardens where i'm not as picky about the product.

thanks.

fluid69 is offline Registered+