Cannabis.com

Thread: Been told to cut the fan leaves??? Please read...

Atrayou is offline Registered+

Exclamation Been told to cut the fan leaves??? Please read...

First off one person said "sucker" leaves the other said to cut the big "fan" leaves. I am assuming they are one of the same. One person is my neighbor who grows also. I have 3 weeks left in my grow season thats it. I can not leave them out in November it will be too cold. So weather they are ready or not they are coming down.
    Question CAN I CUT THE FAN LEAVES???? This will allow more sun to the buds. So I have heard YES and I have heard NO.......what is the correct answer????? What will happen IF I do cut them????
    I need a bunch of different opinions......
    Oh and Stinky if you read this I would especially like your opinion. Thanks everyone.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

GoldenGraham84 is offline Registered+
    from what i understand, the plant uses its leaves to create its energy. my guess would leave them on till you harvest to allow the plant to continue photosynthesis. but i would take stinky's opinion over mine.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around. 'Cause I'm gonna burn one down." - Ben Harper

"America; first we fight for our freedom, then we make laws to take it away." -Alfred E. Newman

jchap is offline Registered+
    i leave them on

the buds take sugars and that from the fan leaves

you could just tuck the fan leaves down and out the way
    all pics posted on this site by me are just random images taken from the interweb

Storm Crow is offline Registered+

Smile Former bio major here!

To put it simply, your friends are misinformed! Leaves produce food for the buds to grow. Now which leaf has the biggest surface area? A tiny "sugar leaf" or a big old "fan leaf"? So which one produces the most food? Your friends are slowing their bud's growth by removing fan leaves!

Fan leaves should be removed only if they are yellow! Tuck those babies out of the way if you feel you must, but don't cut them!

If you feel that the lower buds aren't getting enough light, add a CFL or two down by the bottom of the plant. I just got some ceramic light fixtures, wired them up and screwed them on to a board that is about an inch longer than the tubs I grow in. The lights just sit between two tubs giving light to those "popcorn" buds.

Also, not all buds ripen at the same time! I usually harvest the largest buds and leave about 1/2 of the plant to grow another week or two.

Granny
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

jchap is offline Registered+
    where on the plant do the buds ripen first top or bottom?

i would like to harvest half my plant and let the rest ripen, how should i do it?

i was going to just chop her in half but that's probably wrong
    all pics posted on this site by me are just random images taken from the interweb

WildFire.ca is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by jchap View Post
    i leave them on

the buds take sugars and that from the fan leaves

you could just tuck the fan leaves down and out the way
    What these two tuckers are suggesting is the way I would go also.

Storm Crow is offline Registered+

Smile Harvesting part way

Look at the buds. Generally they are made up in sections of a leaf and a flower cluster. As you go toward the main stem, gaps start to appear where there is stem and no bud. That's where you clip. By leaving the smaller buds, they get a chance to grow larger.

I just did a partial harvest of a Jack's Surprise. I took off about a dozen partial buds that by my calculations should yield about a rather generous 1/3 ounce dry weight. This is the second partial harvest- the first was last week- just 4 buds that dried to maybe 1/4 ounce (more of a taste test than a harvest!). The majority of the buds are still on the plant. Next harvest is the last for that plant. I should get another 1/2 to 1 oz from it. (I live in a county where the sheriff says he'll bust legal MMJ growers if their plants even LOOK like they could produce over 8 oz! I keep my indoor plants small on purpose and produce just enough for me and the hubby.)

Granny
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

Lit Up is offline Registered+
    I happen to know for a fact that stinky would say she doesn't cut anything on her plants until them bitches come down. I trim from time to time though but that's just me.
    "It shouldn't be legal to be as high as I am!!" Petey Blake
    "We bless it, we roll it, we toke it, we pass it." - Kottonmouth Kings
    I am the 1,746th member out of 178,000. And counting, Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by yesoer View Post
    Rhode Island became the 11th medical marijuana state. RHODE ISLAND, NEW YORK SAME SHIT SON

Revanche21 is offline Registered+
    I asked the same question and Stinky told me

Don't cut fan leaves unless they are 80% damaged and are about to fall off anyway

lehua96734 is offline Registered
    don't cut anything off. when its time for the fan leaves to come off, they will fall off. you cut the leaves off when your trimming them to dry.

derrickboi is offline Registered

Talking i wish i read this first

i trimed 4 fan leaves 4 days apart cause someone told me would bring more light to the bottom ones .my top leaves the tips are turning yellow any thoughts

Gatekeeper777 is offline Registered+
    HMMMMMMMMM! lets look at this another way.
    You spend its whole life cycle keepeing it healthy and making it green and get as big as you can, only to cut it when it needs the most energy?
    If you Tjose fan leaves are like its power plants. Cutting them off is like shutting down its main food source. Sucker brances are for trees not weeds!
    I do not condone the illegal use of any substance. I do not grow marijuana however the posts I place here are for informational purposes only nothing more nothing less.

Revanche21 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickboi View Post
    i trimed 4 fan leaves 4 days apart cause someone told me would bring more light to the bottom ones .my top leaves the tips are turning yellow any thoughts
    high times advises against cutting fan leaves as well

and Jorge Cervantes grow Bible says don't

JeffersonBud is offline Registered+
    I cut some fan leaves off in the last week that are covering the tops of the lower buds. I usually don't cut them all off, but if I can't bend them or move them and they are blocking a lot of light, then I take them off. usually the ones that are being taken off have already turned color so they are of little use. I have seen many plants truck along in the same fashion the last week of flowering with most of their leaves taken off. Depends on the plant genetics.
    "Religion is the opiate of the people" - Karl Marx