Thread: Utilitarian?

coledog855 is offline Registered+

Utilitarian?

Anyone care to discuss the application and/or usage of Mill and Bentham's theories in utilitarianism?
    Everything I say is a lie.

Reefer Rogue is offline Registered+
    Well, As Jeremy Bentham professed, happiness is the only thing desirable in itself. The principal of utility is 'the greatest happiness of the greatest number' Live your life to make as many people happy as you can and then your own happiness will follow intuitively. Personally, i prefer Peter Singer's Preference Utilitarianism. We are all subjective, thus we should follow our own utilitarian prefences.
    PEACE

'Why should one be judged by the colour of their skin, instead of the qualities they show from deep within?' - Peter Tosh

If they dont instantly know what you are talking about just walk away.
    Kraloth:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/recreatio...rger-then.html

coledog855 is offline Registered+
    I haven't read about Preference Utilitarianism, but if it is what you say it is then it would seem to conflict with singer's "war and famine" literature about maxi mime distribution of goods that exceed the necessities.
    Everything I say is a lie.

Nixxxon is offline Registered
    I would call myself a utilitarian. Peter Singer is quite an intelligent man, and I would say Rational Utilitarianism is the way to go. Looking at things from a happiness/unhappiness viewpoint is the ultimate way to go. However, certain forms of Utilitarianism are terrible things. We must not let the minority be crushed and oppressed under the heavy fist of this powerful philosophy.

jonassteele is offline Registered
    cant agree with you more nixxxon about certain forms of utilitarianism being terrible. Think about every so called "just" war/ legal murder that has occurred in the last history of mankind that hasn't been justified by utilitarian principles. "I will kill this one man, because he will kill many more" "Dropping the A-Bomb will save thousands more American lives" The fact that any murder/war can be justified at all by anything only serves the purpose of murderers.

melodious fellow is offline Registered+
    Mill however has a built in check on Utilitarianism and attempted justifications of murder, war etc.

Teleology

And Mill also said that we are all free to act as we wish, so long as we do not infringe on another's right to do the same.
    VOTE DR. RON PAUL

Disclaimer: None of the information posted under this screen name or this IP address is to be taken seriously, nor do the authors advocate any illegal activities, as posts in these forums are for entertainment purposes only.