Thread: Stems and Stalk Are Turning Purple, Help! Pics Included

CollieBuddz is offline Registered

Stems and Stalk Are Turning Purple, Help! Pics Included

I've noticed that the stems of my plant are turning purple, also the stalk has some purple showing as well. Does anyone know why this might be? I am using 24-8-16 Miracle Grow every few weeks. I have two 40 watt fluoros that are kept on 24x7. Any replies will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stems and Stalk Are Turning Purple, Help! Pics Included-img_4542.jpg  
    Last edited by CollieBuddz; Aug-24-2007 at 00:54.

Zcomp is offline Registered+
    it looks like calcium def.
    are you using R/O water?
    whats your PH?
    Famous Quote:
    John Sparton:"Do you have the salt?"
    Lenina Huxley:"Salt is not good for you, hence, it is illegal"
    "Demolition Man" 1993
    Disclaimer: I put drug-dealers out of business by growing my own. I do not sell anything! I consume everything. Prosecuting me is supporting terrorism. Do what you think is right, I'll do what I think is.
    Disclaimer: Disclaimer:Everything I post is pure fiction. I am a posting dummy to see if posting here gets you busted.

I've been using tap water since the very first day of growing. I don't have a ph meter to determine the level. Could this be happening because of the tap water?

nah, more probably because of low PH and nute lock out.
    when did you last flush???
    Famous Quote:
    "Demolition Man" 1993
    Disclaimer: I put drug-dealers out of business by growing my own. I do not sell anything! I consume everything. Prosecuting me is supporting terrorism. Do what you think is right, I'll do what I think is.
    Disclaimer: Disclaimer:Everything I post is pure fiction. I am a posting dummy to see if posting here gets you busted.

I have never flushed my plants. I am a first time grower, so everything is new to me. Is flushing recommended every once in a while?

turksteelman is offline Registered+
    I have seen this on a couple of plants also. Only the bottom set of the 4 leave intersection is purple just like yours. Been like that since it was a seedling. Its now well grown.

relax, that 'purpling' is most likely a result of temperature variances, and will do no harm ... later, in flowering, it can indicate a phosphorous deficiency, but I haven't personally encountered that problem (yet) ...

Imagereaper brings up a good Q?
    What are your temps around there? I have warm all year so I never see the cold purpling problem.
    And yes flushing is important at certain times.
    If your going into your last 2 weeks of flower then you want to flush.
    If your PH is wildly off, you probably want to flush.

I'm only assuming the PH thing cause your using MG fert and maybe even MG soil. I used that on my first go and had many PH issues.
    I never saw the PH problems in my plants cause I always detected the falling PH before it was an issue.
    Famous Quote:
    "Demolition Man" 1993

ocbornandrazd is offline Registered+
    don't trip.what kind is it?maybe that is her way?I have this happen and it doesn't seem to do damage,the smoke has still been kickin.Don't look for problems that aren't problems.

I was told that it might be Super Silver or Silver Haze. Could this strain be the result of purple stems and stalks?

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    I have absolutely NO idea how the idea of Ca deficiency came into play here!

Purple petioles and stems are signs of Sulfur deficiency, low temps, or even simply related to the strain.

You need a better fertilizer either way. The MG you are using isn't appropriate for any cannabis life stage, and your dosage rates are no good anyway.

You also need to check the pH of your soil runoff to eliminate lockout.

Without a better pic that shows more of the plant, plus info on your growing conditions (look in the sticky!!!) all this is just guessing.

sk8sativa420 is offline Registered
    how far away are your lights

Ganja Guerrilla is offline Registered+
    You need a better fertilizer either way. The MG you are using isn't appropriate for any cannabis life stage
    I found this ferts 24-8-16 Miracle Grow to be the best thing Ive ever used for the vegatative cycle, it contains all the micro & macro nutes , the high nitrogen content is primarilly urea based (organic form of nitrogen) which makes it almost difficult to burn plants (with the strength I use, 2 LEVEL teaspoons per gallon of water) I feed every other watering and balance the PH of the ferts solution, I expect to see a 1/2 inch a day growth using this

you dont want to use 24-8-16 Miracle Grow if you grow in a confined area

Hennessy1414 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganja Guerrilla View Post
    you dont want to use 24-8-16 Miracle Grow if you grow in a confined area
    why?

Gundari is offline Registered+
    lol he's implying that the growth would be so fast your plant would out grow your confined space :-p
    You can always look back, but you can never change the past.