Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unwanted mushrooms in the weed pots

Opie Yutts is offline Registered+

unwanted mushrooms in the weed pots

This has never happened to me before and I don't really know if it's a problem. After a certain mother has been growing for at least a year in a closet, shrooms started appearing. Is this bad? Is it an emergency? Do I need to transplant or flush like crazy, or can I just pick them out as they appear? How in the world do they show up a year after planting when they are in a closet? The only thing I can think of is I somehow carried some spores into the closet, but that doesn't make sense because if that were true they would be in my other mothers too.

Also, does anyone know what kind of shrooms they are? Can they be consumed for food or recreation? Notice the babies look exactly like little penises. I know most shrooms are deadly so I will probably destroy them and wash my hands very carefully, but I was curious if someone knew about them, as well as if they are a problem in weed soil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unwanted mushrooms in the weed pots-p1010020.jpg   unwanted mushrooms in the weed pots-p1010021.jpg   unwanted mushrooms in the weed pots-p1010022.jpg  

PLEASE STOP BY MY FOGGING THREAD
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    I would not consider them a problem, just remove them so that they do not have a chance to decay and attract insects.
    I also would not eat them. There's exactly ONE species I am confident ID-ing, and that's the Chanterelle- an OBVIOUS one with no poisonous mimics. That is not a Chanterelle, lol.
    Nice pics though.

Ganja Guerrilla is offline Registered+
    they plant isnt looking too healthy can we see a pic of it?

if you have conditions to grow shrooms, your soil is always too wet & too much humidity

if your indoors increase the airflow,water less frequently

they plant isnt looking too healthy can we see a pic of it?
    Yes, and thank you for your concern. I would appreciate any input. I just posted about that plant here: http://boards.cannabis.com/plant-problems/134293-magnesium-mg-deficiency-pics.html

if you have conditions to grow shrooms, your soil is always too wet & too much humidity

if your indoors increase the airflow,water less frequently
    Duh, why didn't I think of that. I have been trying to see how long I could get away with no fan in my mother's closet. Guess I'll slap a small fan in there after all.
    Everything I say in this forum is completely true, and should be construed as fact. I do smoke weed, and sometimes I eat it. Not only that I sell it, along with every other drug known to man and a few that aren't. Everything I do is 100% illegal, and I condone others breaking the law. All pictures that I post are not taken from the internet, but are of my own illegal operation. Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

A general rule of thumb when it comes to the mushrooms....unless you are an expert with mushrooms and your find it in soil or in your yard, leave it or kill it.... i personally dont do mushrooms unless i get them at the store, there are so many varities out there that could kill you that its not worth the risk... just my opinion tho.

killerweed420 is offline Banned
    Get a better picture of that shroom if you can I think I recognise it.
    I've heard you can use dilluted hydrogen peroxide to get rid of fungai.

c/p
    "Helps Plants
    It is this hydrogen peroxide in rainwater that makes it so much more effective than tap water when given to plants. With the increased levels of atmospheric pollution, however, greater amounts of H202 react with air-borne toxins and never reach the ground. To compensate for this, many farmers have been increasing crop yields by spraying them with diluted hydrogen peroxide (5 to 16 ounces of 35% mixed with 20 gallons of water per acre). You can achieve the same beneficial effect with your house plants by adding 1 ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide (or 16 drops of 35% solution) to every quart of water you give your plants. (It can also be made into an excellent safe insecticide. Simply spray your plants with 8 ounces of 3% peroxide mixed with 8 ounces of white sugar and one gallon of water.)"

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I will pick out the shrooms and throw them into the trash. I will also put a fan in with the mothers and see if that solves the problem. I will spray the infected plant and immeadiate area with a H202 solution.

I threw my used soil into a pile outside ... a few months later, I started shoveling it up, to get rid of it ... there was the weirdest looking fungus, looked like the 'mushroom from Mars', lol ... it was about 2-feet across, and WEIRD, man ...

Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    there was the weirdest looking fungus, looked like the 'mushroom from Mars', lol ... it was about 2-feet across, and WEIRD, man ...
    Holy crap! Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like something from the original star trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsuthern View Post
    the shrooms stain blue or no?
    Unfortunately, no.

romdog11 is offline Registered+
    dial 91 and then eat the mushroom and if anything happens dial 1 : p haha im jking dont eat the mushroom!!!!!!! but ive had grass grow in my fox farm potting mix before. not alot but just one blade. i thought it was kinda weird.

Ha Ha. Very funny. I've read that liver failure is one of the most uncomfortable ways to go. Don't even look at those shrooms or they will kill you instantly.

SMOKEnCHOKE is offline Registered+
    I know this thread is old and you probably already have solution, but here it is anyways.

I would for sure try to get rid of them. The mushrooms aren't the problem but the mycelium from which the mushrooms come from is. The older,more colonized, and denser the mycelium gets it will grow all around the roots. When it surrounds the roots it will most likely lock out all nutes and maybe even water. This stuff is truely amazing and spreads incredibly fast. In Oregon one mycelium was responsible for killing an entire forest, although the mycelium was 2,200 years old and the size of 1,655 football fields. This is considered to be the largest organism in the world. I have no ideas on how to get rid of it though. Once mycelium is established well enough to fruit (produce mushrooms) it can survive extreme temperatures and drought. Maybe a fungicide?
    Take It Easy

So would transplanting into new soil help, or would it just spread throughout the new soil? What about washing the roots off and replanting?

SMOKEnCHOKE is offline Registered+
    You would have to get it entirely off the roots somehow because even one small white spec would just overtake the soil if it was brought in. Mycelium does extremely well in transplants. If you washed of the roots thoroughly you might get rid of it. I don't know if spraying with peroxide would hurt it at all. I use it with positive effects. If you do transplant it try to keep the temperature as low as you can with stressing the plant for a week or week and a half. And when the mushrooms come up try to pick them before their veil tears and they open releasing spores, because spores will stick on you and will get everywhere and maybe into other plants.

If it wasn't you mother plant I wouldn't worry about but since she's gonna be around for awhile something needs to be done. Even if the transplant doesn't get rid of it your roots will be better off in less of it.When you dig around in the soil do you notice white thread like almost mold looking growth?
    Take It Easy

Nice info, smoke-n-choke!

pudder is offline Registered+
    I use to grow shrooms. Grew a few pounds at a time.

The conditions for them to grow indoors is very different from growing them outside.

I have to ask what soil are you using to grow with?
    Shroom (with Psilocybin) usually only grow on certain subtrates.

Are these growing from the soil or from the stalk of the plant?

How high is your humidity? Shrooms like a high humidity. I always set between 75 - 80%. Some say higher but my stain seemed to grow best at that range.

Also these could be a pest to your plants. Shroom soak up tons of stuff from the soil(subtrate). Shrooms are know to suck up anything and everything in the soil. This may lead to a deficiency to your plants.

However shrooms require Myc to grow from which is the white area that the shroom groows out from. Once a shroom has grown and nute value has been depleted the myc will die and root. Myc spreads and will suffocate your roots. It will grow threw out the medium that the plant is in and eventually kill it because it will not allow for the plant to get any water or nutes.

Shrooms also attract any different fungi such as cobweb mold and various other things you don't want your plants to ome in contact with?

Shrooms are tricky indoors and providing the right conditions are sometimes tricky.

All I have to say I don't know how your plant is living with the shrooms. 2 totally different conditions for indoors. Outside possible inside no so much.

oh and another thing. If those shrooms are growing in a area where other plants are in the same condition check all your plants. If you used the same soil and all that. Spores from shrooms are microscopics and they drop millions at a time. Believe me your breathing them now if there still there. Watch for more shrooms in other plants.

One more thing if you have shrooms you also have conditions for other fungi. mainly mold. Very easy to get. Believe me mold is easier to grow then shrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEnCHOKE View Post
    You would have to get it entirely off the roots somehow because even one small white spec would just overtake the soil if it was brought in. Mycelium does extremely well in transplants. If you washed of the roots thoroughly you might get rid of it. I don't know if spraying with peroxide would hurt it at all. I use it with positive effects. If you do transplant it try to keep the temperature as low as you can with stressing the plant for a week or week and a half. And when the mushrooms come up try to pick them before their veil tears and they open releasing spores, because spores will stick on you and will get everywhere and maybe into other plants.

If it wasn't you mother plant I wouldn't worry about but since she's gonna be around for awhile something needs to be done. Even if the transplant doesn't get rid of it your roots will be better off in less of it.When you dig around in the soil do you notice white thread like almost mold looking growth?
    peroxide does not kill myc. I used it to control other bacteria and fungi. When shrooms are in there fruiting stage they are hard to kill without force. I never tried killing them so I couldn't tell you what to use on them.

Just remember it is fungus. Something will kill them.

Low humidity and a temp drop should do the trick. But I am not sure about the plants.

ok one more post.

You lay want to think about cloning the hell outta that plant and then ditching it. find another mother. More like a 3rd generation. You prolly wont get rid of the myc.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEnCHOKE View Post
    When you dig around in the soil do you notice white thread like almost mold looking growth?
    I haven't dug around yet except to check for moisture, and I have not seen anything like that. I may transplant tomorrow.

Thank you as well pudder, for chiming in. Your experience is valued here. I'm not sure what soil that is, but if I can remember correctly it was Nature brand potting soil, with about 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite added. This is my normal mix, but the brand varies. Not sure. The shrooms are coming out of the soil, not the stalk. Don't know the humidity, but it's not real high probably around 50%. I put a small fan in there since this started.

I hope that answers your questions, and I appreciate your insight. My plan was to transplant it tomorrow (probably), get it healthy enough for cloning (hopefully), then start another mother and trash the first one. But are you saying the mycelium might be in a cutting from an apparent healthy mother as well? How is this possible unless mycelium is a systemic, and I'm pretty sure it's not.

Pudder, I'm leaving those posts up since thye DO relate to this problem (and they're really good posts!) but FYI we don't talk about 'shrooms' here and if we can all just refer to mushrooms as mushrooms and stay out of the grey areas that get threads deleted it would be best. If you were growing shiitakes or other edibles it would be okay, just stay off the subject of psychoactive ones please.
    Thanks for understanding, I don't want to be a hard ass here.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie Yutts View Post
    Thank you as well pudder, for chiming in. Your experience is valued here. I'm not sure what soil that is, but if I can remember correctly it was Nature brand potting soil, with about 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite added. This is my normal mix, but the brand varies. Not sure. The shrooms are coming out of the soil, not the stalk. Don't know the humidity, but it's not real high probably around 50%. I put a small fan in there since this started.

I hope that answers your questions, and I appreciate your insight. My plan was to transplant it tomorrow (probably), get it healthy enough for cloning (hopefully), then start another mother and trash the first one. But are you saying the mycelium might be in a cutting from an apparent healthy mother as well? How is this possible unless mycelium is a systemic, and I'm pretty sure it's not.
    No it will not be in a cutting just the soil the plant is in. I highly dought it will travel throughout the plant. If it did your plant would prolly be dead.
    Last edited by pudder; Nov-01-2007 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Pudder, I'm leaving those posts up since thye DO relate to this problem (and they're really good posts!) but FYI we don't talk about 'shrooms' here and if we can all just refer to mushrooms as mushrooms and stay out of the grey areas that get threads deleted it would be best. If you were growing shiitakes or other edibles it would be okay, just stay off the subject of psychoactive ones please.
    Thanks for understanding, I don't want to be a hard ass here.
    I understand that StinkyAttic. I would not talk about them on Cannabis.com. I just seen that there may have been a problem with his plant. psychoactive mushrooms grow differently then other edibles. This is why I was leaning towards that side on this discussion. Just in case anyone got th idea to try eating these. Which I wouldn't with what they are growing on.

I am here for marijuana and that is it just seen that there was a little mushrooms involved and it could be a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast