Thread: little black flies.

phixion is offline Registered+

little black flies.

i just looked in on my plant and noticed some small blackflies around it.
    does anybody know what they would be ?
    and what would be the best way of getting rid of them.

thanks...
    anything i post is untrue and completely made up.

HEHEHEHE......new security

LdyMarsRN is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    i just looked in on my plant and noticed some small blackflies around it.
    does anybody know what they would be ?
    and what would be the best way of getting rid of them.

thanks...
    Probably Fungus Gnats. I use no pest strips....the yellow ones, or put a little apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a cup, in the area with your plants. The little buggers will drown themselves in it....
    We are like angels with one wing; we must embrace each other in order to fly.

Storm Crow is offline Registered+

Lightbulb A non-toxic method.....

Frankly, I don't want ANY poisons around my plants. The easiest way to get rid of those pesky fungus gnats is to add about an inch of sand to the soil! FGs lay eggs in the soil and the larvae eat (mostly) decaying plant material. The sand stops the cycle. No soil exposed= no laid eggs = no well fed larvae = no more FGs. If you use white sand, you also get more reflected light.

Also, if the adults are bugging you, a couple of the sticky fly strips in your grow area will trap an amazing number of them. They run about $1 for a pack of 4 at Walmart and the Dollar store sometimes has them too. I wouldn't use the "chemical wonder" ones- there's been some controversy over their safety. - Granny
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

LdyMarsRN is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by LdyMarsRN View Post
    Probably Fungus Gnats. I use no pest strips....the yellow ones, or put a little apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a cup, in the area with your plants. The little buggers will drown themselves in it....
    I meant the sticky ones.....I don't use an poisons either.
    We are like angels with one wing; we must embrace each other in order to fly.

thanks for the info.
    i will go out and get some sticky fly strips and white sand.
    hopefully that will get rid of those pesky flies.

legalize_it420_4ever is offline Registered+
    use booze lol the sweetest most sugary liqure u got i got special traps for it but u could prolly just put some in a bowl they fly in get drunk n drown over n over n over it got rid of the millions of wasps and aphids on my back porch they loved the strawberry shnaps i used in a few days they were all dead seems kinda cruel usin booze to kill little creatures lol but it works n i dont think it can harm ur plants it didnt seem to do nethin to mine

legalize_it420_4ever is offline Registered+
    didnt mean 2 double post srry
    Last edited by legalize_it420_4ever; Mar-09-2008 at 19:22.

sorry didnt get back to this thread but i couldnt remember where it was.

but i used some sticky fly strips and some nice pear cider in a little bowl.
    i have to say that the pear cider seamed to do the better job at getting these little gnats. anyway thanks for the info on how to deal with those pesky critters..
    thought i would throw in a couple of pics of my baby..

ps they have a little heat stress but that has been sorted (for now)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails little black flies.-dsc00070.jpg   little black flies.-dsc00072.jpg   little black flies.-dsc00071.jpg  

little black flies.-dsc00078.jpg  
    Last edited by phixion; Mar-17-2008 at 14:02.

grey1223 is offline Registered+
    I tried the sand on top once and it didn't work for me. Sticky strips, bowl of liquid etc... will take care of the adults but there's lots of larvae in the medium. I tried pretty much all the recommended solutions and found this to work:

30ml of pyrethrum concentrate per gal. of water. Used it once a week for 4 weeks. That was about 18 months ago and haven't had a gnat since. Oh, by the way, the plants never reacted to the pyrethrum. I also know 3 other folks who did the same.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    I agree with grey; pyrethrins are a pretty simple and foolproof way to deal with infestations.
    Keep the gnats from returning by taking away their nice wet homes- standing water in drip trays, muck under pots- they love that. So keep your grow area nice and dry, and they won't be interested in residing there any more.

thanks grey and stinky...

i am at the end of my first grow..(about a week left).
    so when i get all set up for the next set of lucky ladys i will be more carefull and keep the area all clean and dry..
    im learning somthing new each day and it is becoming an obsession.. "but an obsession that i cant tell anybody about."
    which makes it that little bit more frustrating..lol.

chinoaviles is offline Registered

Lightbulb

I was usin insecticidal soap but the flies kept coming bak... But HOLD SHET! I bought some other insecticid spay that contained 0.01% of Pyrethrins and ~POOF~! The war waged on the flies has begun to turn tide... Victory has begun for this noob grower... Also waiting for the top inch of soil to completely dry before watering again is a win win situation, bcuz the larve thrive on wet & moist soil so they die when soil gets dry. & the roots will absorb more nutrients with a wet & dry soil cycle instead of having nutrients run off with the excess water
    Last edited by chinoaviles; May-16-2010 at 00:54.

Dorje113 is offline Registered+
    Nematodes.

Nematode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Order from any greenhouse supply place for about $10 for enough to cover 2-3000 sq. ft. They will eat all the larvae. Water all the plants in your house with it, the fungus gnats will travel and lay eggs in all your plants. If you catch them early enough, a single yellow sticky trap can eliminate them.

This is the easiest of all pests to get rid of, they don't do any damage unless you let them get way out of control.