Thread: HELP!!!! GOT GNATS IN MY SOIL WHAT TO DO???

FREETHEGREEN is offline Registered+

HELP!!!! GOT GNATS IN MY SOIL WHAT TO DO???

I MUST OF OVER WATERED ANY NATURAL WAYS OR SAFE WAYS TO GET RID OF HELP!!!!!

sensilights is offline Registered+
    I found a few tidbits on the interwebs...First is putting a thin layer of sand over the top of your potting soil which inhibits the gnats from reaching the soil, but still allows water to hit your soil. The second is taking about a cup of water and adding a few drops of dish soap...make sure you use something like palmolive which is biodegradable...then agitate slightly to sud and pour on your soil which should kill the gnats...

Mind that these are remedies I found on the internet and havn't actually tried them myself but the sand at least seems safe and fairly inexpensive
    Everything I say is pure fiction and should be completely ignored! All pictures I post were found floating somewhere in cyberspace.

Mr. Clandestine is offline Registered+
    I once thought along the same lines with the sand treatment, but from what I've heard recently, it's not all that reliable. I don't think it will hurt, and you will end up having light reflect off of it, but you'll eventually end up with a sandy mess for a top dressing.

Maybe think about picking up a few of those non-toxic pest strips, and hang them somewhere above the affected pots. If you can keep them near a light, the adults will gravitate right to them. Just be careful that any fans you may have don't blow them into any foliage, or you'll end up tearing the leaves to get them off. For the larvae, best method to kill them is obviously to be careful about not overwatering. Also, make sure that even after a light watering, there is no standing water in the trays beneath the pots. Take away their moisture, and watch their numbers decline!

Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyattic View Post
    Switch to 24/0 light schedule and don't worry... about a thing... every little thing... gonna be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Trichome View Post
    It can be a fine balance between "ok...I need to water later today" and "shit...I should have watered yesterday."
    Plant problems? Fill out the Troubleshooting Form BEFORE asking how you should fix it!

grey1223 is offline Registered+
    I buy pyrethrin concentrate at my local grow shop. Add 30ml (2 tbsp) per gallon and give them a thorough watering. It will kill your gnats and has no adverse effects. If you're dealing with fungus gnats apply once a week for 4 weeks as you have eggs and larvae in your medium and they have about a 30 day life cycle.

I've found unidentified critters on occasion and one application did away with them.

It takes a fairly high population of fungus gnats to affect your plants. I've kept them in check by spraying the adults daily, but if you have more than 2 weeks left I'd go with my first suggestion.

Whatever the reason for using dishsoap, as a surfactant (works great) or as indicated above, (which I've never tried personally...only bugs I get are flies) be sure that it is not antibacterial. If it is an antibacterial soap, it will kill the bioactivity in your soil. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe some dishsoaps can be an unwanted source of various phosphates, so easy does it.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Apr-11-2008 at 11:15.

stick a 'Hot Shot No-Pest Strip' in there ... been using them for years, never had a bug problem yes, they are safe to use
    Last edited by the image reaper; Apr-11-2008 at 11:57.

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    My last two bags of Moisture Control MG had gnats eggs in the potting soil. ( it's suppose to be near sterile.... )

anyways, I don't do anything about them, they don't seem to effect my plants?...and I enjoy trying to catch them...mono a mono...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post
    My last two bags of Moisture Control MG had gnats eggs in the potting soil. ( it's suppose to be near sterile.... )

anyways, I don't do anything about them, they don't seem to effect my plants?...and I enjoy trying to catch them...mono a mono...
    yeah, gnats are cheap entertainment - just slow enough for me to catch, but fast enough to provide some sport ... (my fly-catchin days are behind me ) ...

Dutch Pimp is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by the image reaper View Post
    yeah, gnats are cheap entertainment - just slow enough for me to catch, but fast enough to provide some sport ... (my fly-catchin days are behind me ) ...
    I'm glad you said that....

I was beginning to think it was some sort of psycho thing......with me?

veggii is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Pimp View Post

Ok know, I know where the buggers are coming from Miracle Grow.
    my bags of Miracle Grow Organic Choice also has gnats. grrrrrrrrrr
    California State Law prop 215 Compassionate Use Act of 1996

Federal Law for the Masses

California Co-Ops

California Delivery Services

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507/fulltext.html

Controlled_Substances_Act
    Quote Originally Posted by BillofRights;
    Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Green Love is offline Registered+
    Run for Cover.

ballemason is offline Registered
    My MG had those nasty lil buggers too

Jord0713 is offline Registered+
    fine playground sand works awesome...hang a few sticky traps, 1-2" of playground sand and gnats almost completely go away in 24 hours...I always leave my sand on just to be sure they don't come back

emilya is online now Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by ballemason View Post
    I have to chime in too.. the bugs I saw were indeed gnats and must have come from the miracle grow. Possibly this is from sitting at the hardware store all summer long?
    ---Emmie
    ... learning about life from a weed
    If you go cheap you grow cheap.-Zandor Patience above all else.-Rusty Just be smarter than the plant you're growing.-OldMac Question everything, test what you can.-Weezard

Emmie's First Grow Log * Troubleshooting Form * How to Properly Water a Potted Plant * Harvest and Cure

jon420 is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by ballemason View Post
    It seems that all the MG soils come with gnats included for entertainment lmao

Easiest way I found to get rid of them without covering the dirt with sand is "soda pop, wine, honey, apple cider vinegar". Pour about a half inch worth in a plastic cup, cover with plastic, pokes some holes in plastic, place cup next to plants, and watch the gnats get stuck and die. This works for me but I only ever see a few gnats weekly.

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    Myself when I get them I just use those bug catching fly strips that come in a little tube and are awesome sticky....

Over a couple weeks it gets them, but if you already have viable eggs in the soil it could take a few weeks to get rid of them all.

THEY WILL NOT HARM YOUR PLANT, so don't freak out. They are a nuisance. Any potted mix with holes in the bag that is stored outdoors will get them.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

Saggitaur is offline Registered+

Smile Sand

The sand trick worked great for me.