Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STRANGE WHITE SPOTS!

mistaswift is offline Registered

Question STRANGE WHITE SPOTS!

my babys are 2 weeks into flowering now, i am starting to worry.......

little itty bitty white spots are appearing on some of the itty bitty leaves and the new growths, theese "white spots" seem to be getting bigger im not exactly sure what theese white spots are or what they seem to represent or even if they are somthing i should worry about but i would feel much better if someone knows what they are or why they want to congregate on my plants,

sorry i dont have pics

does any1 have any idea of what theese white spots are??

or how i can get rid of them??

Greenthing is offline Registered+
    Mistaswift This seems to be your problem.
    Spider mites are by far the worst pest to have, because they are the hardest to kill and can literally kill any plant. They are by far more active in warmer climates than cold ones, they also suck sup from the leaves leaving tiny white spots on the leaves from where they suck on.
    Stinkyattic's troubleshooting form.
    Click here

There can be only one. it's the Wife.
    Profit is Vanity, Quality is Sanity

Wobster is offline Registered+
    Check under the leaves with a magnifying glass for mites and eggs. The mites will look black\brown and they are very hard to spot. If you see any small spots..keep youre eye on it for a minute to see if it moves.

The easiest way to check for them is to leave the plant undisturbed so they get a chance to make webs and then spray the plant with water from a fine mister. The water clings to the webs and makes them easier to see. As your plants are in flower... go easy if spraying them to avoid water affecting the buds in a detrimental way (bud rot). I would never reccommend spraying plants that are in flower, only if absolutley necessary or if you want to identify a problem.

You've got many options if it is spidermites but whatever you choose, do it quick because their rate of reproduction is very high and they can devestate ur plant given the chance.

If u have the cash and they are available, I would recommend introducing some natural predators of spidermites. If u can get hold of any ladybirds (ladybugs...whatever), they do a fantastic job of eating the spidermites and do no harm to the plant.

Without pics.. its very hard to be sure of what it is tho so get some pics uploaded.

NoDrugs4Me is offline Registered+
    did you brush the ceiling over them and make that ceiling crap fall on them??

did that once myself...

Storm Crow is offline Registered+

Unhappy The spots look like spray paint "drift"?

You got mites! Bummer. Lower the temperature if you can- slows them down a little. Part of the problem is some strains of mites are becoming resistant to some sprays. I was lucky and a pyrethrum spray took care of my one infestation mites. Even so the harvest was about 1/2 of what I usually get.

DO NOT PUT OFF FOR EVEN ONE DAY, KILLING THOSE LITTLE MF'ERS! They breed like crazy, and suck the life out of your plants amazingly fast! I am pretty easy-going, live and let live....but I make a few exception here and there. Spider mites, fleas, mosquitoes and rattlesnakes are on the exceptions list.
    "If the truth won't do, then something is wrong!"
    Granny's Grandpa- Rev. J. C. Schwabenland

Need MMJ medical studies? Look here!
    http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal...st-2010-a.html

Granny's list's on facebook-
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Granny...0974909?ref=nf

Want your own free copy of the list? email us-
    i.wantgrannyslist(at)greenpassion.org

WTF!!!!!

YOU ALL are scaring me what do i do!! i dont want the spider things round here? how do i eliminate them

Ladybugs

i can obtain some ladybugs, ladybugs will take care care of the spidermites??

i really dont want spidermites, or what do you all suggest?

=mistaswift;1933032]i can obtain some ladybugs, ladybugs will take care care of the spidermites??
    Ladybugs will eat them.

i really dont want spidermites, or what do you all suggest?
    No one wants spidermites, ladybugs are predators so introduce them into your grow space.
    Click here

In this day and age Im sure you can get hold of a digital camera. Use a phone or borrow one. The symptoms sound very much like spidermites but it is not certain that this is your problem.

Have you seen any evidence of the critters... webs or the critters themselves?

Im only saying incase you waste your time trying to solve a problem with the wrong solution and therefore letting the real problem get worse.

A small amount of searching the net by yourself will turn out a vast amount of info regarding spidermites. Ladybugs are great and have worked for me. There are other natural predators that you can introduce to your grow to take care of them.

Thrips are another critter that could be causing ur problem so I stress once again pics.. pics... PICS. Good luck

Spidermites, the damage they do is just like thrips, but with spider mites they pierce the surface of the leaves and can show tiny holesor white speckling damage, unlike with thirps they eat the surface of the chlorophyll. You can tell when you have infestation of spider mites , because you will have distorted growth, shortened internodes and petioles.
    When you have bad infestation you will see webbing with larva in them.
    Click here

Spidermites, what to look for.
    CLICKY
    CLICKY
    CLICKY
    Click here

CRITTERS & PREDATORS

i was looking at my plants through a magnafying glass for at least an hour last night. I was unable to spot the spidermites but i really think that they are around , maybe i need a bigger magnafying glass who knows.

the point is im afraid, very afraid. I dont want to take any chances with somthing as deadly as spidermites so i went ahead and got the ladybugs.

*I will put up some pictures in the next few hours & you can be the judge*

Thrip damage. photos would be good mistaswift.
    CLICKY
    Click here

Critters?

take a look at theese , my camera isnt that great..

spidermites, thrips, thrills, out of control flesh eating disease :0 , or none of the above????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STRANGE WHITE SPOTS!-bud-001.jpg   STRANGE WHITE SPOTS!-bud-002.jpg  

Mistaswift at the bottom of my post there is a link to Stinkyattics troubleshooting form fill it in and wait for Stinkyattic to get back to you.
    Click here

Take a chill pill lol. We didn't mean 2 scare you. That really doesn't look like spidermites or thrips.. its too uniform. I'd say a neutrient problem but I don't know what. Stinkyattic would sus that straight away.....

Troubleshooting answers

okay here we go,

Soil= Promix / & potting Mix
    adding to soil = little bit of perlite, vermiculite, just a sprinkle of dolomite lime
    soil Ph = 6.8 at the moment
    water ph= im not 100% on my water Ph, but its filtered from fridge
    lighting =seven 42watt cfl as close as i get 2 plants without burning them**
    ventilation= twin fan, 2 modes 1 is set to blow in and the other mode sets the other side to blow out, also small fan near the top directing air out
    Temp = lights off around 23degreez celsius & with them on around 25-26cels
    Humidity= humdity i am unsure of , but the area is fairly small so you can imagine what it would be like,
    Ferts = power flower 2-5-4
    age = they are all 5 months approx

Wht do you mean filtered from fridge? That sounds dodgy. Why not use normal tap water?

water/critters?

my water from the fridge is the same water that comes out of the tap and really isnt what is contributing to the problem. The only difference is the water being slightly cleaner.

i am noticing more of the white spots now towards the upper leaves though which cant be good.

The other pictures may have been misleading the camera doesnt really show the little white spots everywhere , but im really hoping it isnt spidermites. The ladybugs can figure it out until i can figure whats causing this problem

=mistaswift;1934005]my water from the fridge is the same water that comes out of the tap and really isnt what is contributing to the problem. The only difference is the water being slightly cleaner.
    What is the temperature of the water out of your fridge, it should be about
    23C if it is cold or too hot it will shock the roots.
    Click here

Hi again Mistaswift. Im pretty sure it's not spidermites that are causing the damage I can see in your pics. The white spots are on the leaf tip marhins and from your description.. it seems to be moving up your plant from the bottom. Spidermite damage creates a random pattern of tiny white flecks on the leaves where the little bastards have sucked the chlorophyl from the leaf from the underside.

Im no expert and I'm suprised a few of the more experienced growers on here haven't nailed it for you. The symptoms look disttinctive to me but I've never come across them personally.

Ive done some searching and the thing that seems to match ur problem is a Zinc deficiency.
    Quote:
    ZINC (Zn)
    White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

Your soil is ph 6.8 you say... which is not a major issue. A ph of 6.4 may be better but I cant see that bieng the prob. I'm wondering if there is any Zinc in tap water and it is bieng removed by the filtration. Or any other metals for that matter.

We need an emergency 'call stinkyattic' button on these forums. She would get to the bottom of it.

Can u take some more pics that show the 'little white spots everyehere' you mentioned in the last post.

We will get to the bottom of it eventually

It may not be causin any probs but I would switch from the fridge water to tap water for now. It wont do your plants any harm and u never know. Tap water has trace amounts of calcium, sodium and magneium I think and maybe other minerals which are beneficial.... I cant help wondering if the fridge filter is removing some of the micro nutrients u need.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
    Tap water has trace amounts of calcium, sodium and magneium I think and maybe other minerals which are beneficial.... I cant help wondering if the fridge filter is removing some of the micro nutrients u need.
    Thats sounds like its worth looking into.
    Check your rep Wobster.
    Click here

Thankyou Greenthing... much appriciated

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    Just switch to plain tap water, at about room temperature- it should be refreshingly cool if you stick your hand in it, but not cold. Cold water can cause funky soil chemistry.
    That's the strangest symptom I've seen yet. It looks like Zinc lockout, but too white!
    Make sure your water is the correct temperature, stop using your Brita or whatever, and only water when the pots feel light.
    Next time the soil gets dry, do a runoff test by testing your water pH, then pouring it through the pot and testing what comes out.
    Report the results of both tests.
    I'm only chiming in now because you described mite damage perfectly, but the pics show something weirder.
    FYI, charcoal filters remove particulates and organic compounds, such as chloramine and other disinfectants, but do not remove dissolved ionic substances such as Ca and Mg in any appreciable amount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast