Thread: what can turn plants male?

detroitfish is offline Registered+

what can turn plants male?

was wondering what conditions if any could make your plants male?ive been growing from seed looking for a female and have had no luck out of 8 plants so far 5 are male and the other 3 im waiting on! any suggestions????

tinytoon is offline Registered+
    growing from seed you are kinda rolling the dice for a female unless you are using feminized seeds. If you were talking Hermie, then I would say number 1 cause for a male outcome from a known female would be light exposure during dark period causing to much stress on the plant.

stinkyattic is offline CultiModerVatorAtor
    While you can't turn a plant genetically male (=give it a Y chromosome), you can force it to grow male flowers with:
    -Light stress
    -Heat stress
    -Insect attack stress
    -Giberellin or colloidal silver
    -Letting the plant go over-ripe

Heat, light, and ripeness stress are the safest and are the only ones that should be used on a plant that you intend to smoke.

bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+

Fem. Seeds

With your bad luck this time, you might order some fem. seeds next time. Just a word of advice, do your research before buying fem. seeds. Look around and see if anyone else has grown the ones you choose, because fem. seeds seem to have a higher rate of hermie than regular seeds. (Not always the case, though, like with my GHS Trainwreck- everyone said it would hermie, but it didnt. If I would have known that they hermied before I bought them, I wouldn't have. Got lucky though!)
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010