Thread: mold is killing me

Mr.GoodMorning02 is offline Registered+

mold is killing me

so there's mold every generation and can't seem to find the source. white mildew tend to coat the leaves every grow. humidity stays around 45-55F and temps are around 75-78F. Can the air circulation be a huge problem? have a 4ft oscillating fan covering a 8x4 area and carbon filter connected to duct vents running through 2 1k hps hoods going outside room. would a dehumidifier help? Possibly the more air flow throughout the area may help by adding another fan? and does wiping a neam oil? on the leaves to clean off the mold work?

thanks,

mgm

Hempsouth is offline Registered+
    Well circulated air would decrease the conditions for mold, is it coming in through an intake and being spread by the fans? Those temps and humidities are near perfect. Is this during veg or flower?

crabbyback is offline Registered+

Talking I have lots of questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GoodMorning02 View Post
    so there's mold every generation and can't seem to find the source. white mildew tend to coat the leaves every grow. humidity stays around 45-55F and temps are around 75-78F. Can the air circulation be a huge problem? have a 4ft oscillating fan covering a 8x4 area and carbon filter connected to duct vents running through 2 1k hps hoods going outside room. would a dehumidifier help? Possibly the more air flow throughout the area may help by adding another fan? and does wiping a neam oil? on the leaves to clean off the mold work?

thanks,

mgm
    I'm not sure that you have mold per se. Are you saying the plant has a white film on the leaves? Is it only the plant affected and everything else in the growroom is mold free? If yes, then you probably have powdery mildew, not mold.

Yes, neem works to wipe off the leaves but it won't cure your problem once you have it. You need to change the plant's environment to remove whatever is contributing to mildew on your plants. More research is in order.

Edit: BTW, where are you exhausting your growroom air?
    Last edited by crabbyback; Jul-30-2009 at 15:19.
    cb
    If you don't run, you rust. - Tom Petty
    “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need”, a scheme to enslave the able to the unable. - Ayn Rand

BeFree is offline Registered+
    I remember someone saying something about white powdery mildew on the leaves is from air born spores and some strains are very vulnerable to it.

I just pulling this out of the dustiest part of my mind, so don't take it for granted.

Your will continue to shine either way.

begood Mgm.

be
    Last edited by BeFree; Jul-30-2009 at 15:23.

killerweed420 is offline Banned
    Other than having good air circulation, which it sounds like you already have, there's probably not much you can do. You can try a dilluted hydrogen peroxide mix and spray the leaves lightly with that. Once your done with the grow your going to need to clean the room with bleach to get rid of the mold.

blazeone08 is offline Registered
    keep your grow room and surrounding area clean and make sure that you and anyone who goes into the area is clean no pets.clothes are a great way to carry spores around if you have to clean your whole house. keep your lower part of your plants pruned so air can circulate properly and make sure your soil is not the cause of the spores , spray the plant with h2o2 and water with h202 to flush the soil of any that might of being in there.here is how much h2o2 to use.

mixing charts for gardening with hydrogen peroxide
    If you want to start gardening with hydrogen peroxide, you need to know how much peroxide to use. Here are charts to tell you how much!

To water or mist plants, to soak seeds, to add to water used to wash sprouts:
    TO THIS AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF
    3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
    1 cup 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 7 to 10 drops
    1 quart 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon

1 gallon 1/2 cup 2 teaspoons
    5 gallons 2 and 1/2 cups 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
    10 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
    20 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
    bathtub (aprox 25 to 35 gallons) * 12 to 17 cups 1 to 1.5 cups

* bathtub sizes vary. It is okay to use more water and/or less peroxide.

To spray on sick or fungusy plants:
    TO THIS AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF
    3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
    1 cup 1 tablespoon 1/4 teaspoon
    1 pint 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon
    1 quart 1/4 cup 1 teaspoon
    1 gallon 1 cup 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
    5 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
    10 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons
    20 gallons 20 cups 1 and 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons

Please be mindful to choose the correct column in the chart depending on whether you are using 3% hydrogen peroxide or 35% hydrogen peroxide!!

As you may notice, the amount of peroxide in the chart for sick and fungusy plants is twice as much as in the first chart. I have heard of people using stronger solutions, but more is NOT always better. So be careful, and when in doubt, stay safe. You can always apply more another day. If you decide to use a bit more, please make it only a bit more, don't get carried away. Gardening with hydrogen peroxide is great, but too much can harm your plants. 10% hydrogen peroxide is recommended as a week killer -- in other words it will kill your plants at that concentration.... hope this helps

Mr.GoodMorning02 is offline Registered+

thank you =]

it's been so long since i've been back here, maybe no one will notice this reply but this thread was very important to me. this problem has persisted until recently. possibly the soil but i feel the whole room needed to be cleaned. so i made it spotless using a light bleach solution throughout one week (drying, repeat, etc) refurbished with hydro, lines with white + some highwall osc-fans in corners. doing well after pruning the lower half. my only prob now is keeping the bushes = clutter from getting out of hand

thank you all again, much appreciated. take care

mgm

TurboALLWD is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by BeFree View Post
    I remember someone saying something about white powdery mildew on the leaves is from air born spores and some strains are very vulnerable to it.

I just pulling this out of the dustiest part of my mind, so don't take it for granted.

Your will continue to shine either way.

begood Mgm.

be

UV light inside an air filter should kill most air born spores. At least that's what I'm thinking.

PaNheAdjay is offline Registered+
    look up treatments for grape vines for powdery mildew

TurboALLWD is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by PaNheAdjay View Post
    look up treatments for grape vines for powdery mildew
    Good thing I'm growing at 85-90 degrees, according to google powdery mildew doesn't particularly like those temps, seems mid 60's to mid 80s is what it likes, and 90+ it pretty much stops growing.

just found this, might help you a bit.

http://www.igrowhydro.com/InfoSheets...deryMildew.pdf
    Last edited by TurboALLWD; Jan-02-2010 at 01:40.