Cannabis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.

sasharose is offline Registered

Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.

Please. Somebody. I can't figure this one out.

It is my crop of white widows that are 11th weeks into flowering. I was so happy two days ago when it came time to harvest. After flushing for a few days, I started snipping away and I hung them in my dark closet to start drying. and thats when it started to happen...

I notice one of the colas shrinking and turning brown in the past three days. A few others began to follow. There is no sweet odor of marijuana, instead it smelled like...well, dried grass. literally. Now the conditions of the drying process? well it there was no light. during the night it drop to 55 degrees. humidity was at at 45%. I was starting to think it was the temp so I moved the buds to the oven (there it stayed at a good 80 degrees) The aroma began to seep everywhere. I was happy thinking that I resolved it. But when I checked on it at the end of the day, the shrinking and browning continued now with ALL the buds. I am thinking I am drying wrong. But I don't know what I'm doing wrong. there's no light. It's the proper temp. and its low humidity...its in an oven!!!

So I'm thinking maybe its Bud Rot. But it then again, there would be signs before harvest. it was nice and pretty before and only started to decline after harvest! I am very sad. my whole harvest gone to waste. I would like to think that the learning experience is worth its value, but I don't even know what the issue is!!

So please, Anyone...can you help me figure this out?! So that I can stop crying myself to sleep?

Take a look. The first two is Before I Harvest. They look okay.
    The second two are after taken two days into drying. They look like little brown shit turds. WHY?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-beforeharvest1.jpg   Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-beforeharvest2.jpg   Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-afterharvest1.jpg  

Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-afterharvest2.jpg  
    Last edited by sasharose; Jan-15-2010 at 00:34.

2. Cannabis Seeds | Cannabis Seeds

Buy Feminised Cannabis Seeds

Cannabis Seeds Delivered World Wide, Top Free Seeds with ALL orders. 

Medical Marijuana Dispensary Finder

Medical Marijuana Directory

jamessr is offline Banned
    It looks like mexi weed to me, not what your saying it is.

Did you use miracle grow by chance?

SinCityPima is offline Registered+
    hey hey hey dont try and blame this on MG. haha there have been many successful grows with that crap. hell im using it and my plants are fine. beautiful and bushy.

jamessr is offline Banned
    Sorry you got pissed but, it happens sometimes with MG. Experiances in life lead too these questions, and conclusions. It is what it is....ya got any other suggestions of wtf? is going on here?

I have seen this exact issue before, 1) mexi weed 2) MG....3) oven was on while drying.lol,lol,lol....I noticed in this post the oven was on was not mentioned...so the only conclusion was the 2 I posted.

Notice also I didn't say the plants looked like some MG shit crap, the plants look awesome, it's how it ended up is the issue here.

MG grows bomb ass big pretty plants without a doubt......no arguements there at all.

bigtopsfinn is offline Registered+
    I don't see anything wrong there, looks like some good smoke to me

You also need to cure the buds to get the full flavors and aromas, the longer the better. Drying & Curing your buds
    99% of the growing info you need can be found here: Cdot grow guide and FAQs

Completed grow logs:
    First grow - LST'd Trainwreck -- Two Trainwrecks in SCRog -- Finn'SCRog 2010

But why does it look like a brown turd. Like what everyone is saying, 'mexi weed.' which I dont think it is because they are beauitful when they where growing.

No I didnt use miracle grow.
    I was using supernatural bloom aqua
    CalMag
    and supernatural bloom maximizer.

Note that it started to turn to this brown turd before I put it in the oven. thats why I put it in the oven.

I have one more plant left. I am afraid to harvest it now. because I am afraid that I am doing something wrong. how could it be so hard. NO light. keep temps around 85. and humidity below 50. this is very discouraging.

Could it be bud rot?

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    Looks like White Widow to me. When I cure WW, it smells like hay for about a month. The smell comes later and is almost ammonia like.

That looks like a very tasty bud, you don't have any issue at all there.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

I've never seen WW buds like this though. I do I know if its bud rot? it is possible I have that because I had spider mites and I would spray the buds with water quite frequently. big grounds for bud rot...But why is it then that the bud starts shrinking and turning shit brown only when it is cut. literally over night.

here is another pic of a bud. that I have still yet to harvest. that is growing in the same room as the rest. Does this look like bud rot? I was thinking that it was lamp burn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-photo-5-.jpg  

jakester is offline Registered+
    Your plants look a bit singed. I wouldn't worry about the buds now, it's too late to do anything about it. Get the tops of your plants greener and happier looking and just let time take care of the harvested buds. I bet after a couple weeks in jars you will forget what the problem even was.

Faddenator is offline Registered+
    I wouldnt trash those pretty nugs either, They look delicious.

First time I harvested I was worried I didn't flush right because the because the bud smelled like crap... but a good amount of curing took care of it.

If your sure its a problem though, try taking higher res close-ups of the problem areas under a whiter light... I can't speak for everyone else but based on your pictures I can't see any brown shitty spots anywhere.

Took another look at that close up... I don't know what the brown is, but any idea what all that white shit is?

WashougalWonder is offline Registered+
    That almost looks like the plant got fertilized.
    Natural Spider Mite Control
    Trouble shooting form

Thank you Lord for this green thumb, I so love to grow your gift of cannabis.

I don't know if that was sarcastic or not, but I don't throw white shit on my plants when I fertilize, so it looks odd to me.

Charbud is offline Registered+
    WHY THE OVEN !!!!!!! hahaaaaaaaaaaa

Should have left it some where around 19c. Drys really slow and tastes delicious ! If i were you i'd either make it into hashish or make it into some space cakes.

Charbud
    Charbud

jamar001 is offline Registered+

send them for diagnosis

If anyone has a problem with their dry finished buds send them to me for a personal assesment.

teamgilly is offline Registered
    i am haveing the same problem with my white widow buds, they end up brown or dark green instead of a nice light green color. i am thinkin it is the way i am drying. i am looking for some insight if anyone has any

irydyum is offline Registered+
    Here's a pic of what my GHS WW looked like after it was cured. I agree with the others when they say don't be discouraged. I remember my widow taking a little longer than some when it came to the curing process. It was much better after it was jarred for 2 months than it was early on.

That last picture, something looks suspicious. Can you get a pic with flash right before lights on, or under white light? It kinda looks burned, possibly rotted, though most of the rot I have seen looks more black than brown.

A rotted bud will literally crumble to dust with just a tiny amount of pressure, and don't forget it works from the inside out so once you see it on the outside, it's pretty well progressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buds turning brown during Drying. Help.-img_1283.jpg  
    ----------------------
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

Current Grow here: Irydyum's Kush Grow
    Past Grows:
    White Widow
    Mango/GreenCrack
    Greenhouse Mixed Indicas

sunbiz1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sasharose View Post
    Please. Somebody. I can't figure this one out.

It is my crop of white widows that are 11th weeks into flowering. I was so happy two days ago when it came time to harvest. After flushing for a few days, I started snipping away and I hung them in my dark closet to start drying. and thats when it started to happen...

I notice one of the colas shrinking and turning brown in the past three days. A few others began to follow. There is no sweet odor of marijuana, instead it smelled like...well, dried grass. literally. Now the conditions of the drying process? well it there was no light. during the night it drop to 55 degrees. humidity was at at 45%. I was starting to think it was the temp so I moved the buds to the oven (there it stayed at a good 80 degrees) The aroma began to seep everywhere. I was happy thinking that I resolved it. But when I checked on it at the end of the day, the shrinking and browning continued now with ALL the buds. I am thinking I am drying wrong. But I don't know what I'm doing wrong. there's no light. It's the proper temp. and its low humidity...its in an oven!!!

So I'm thinking maybe its Bud Rot. But it then again, there would be signs before harvest. it was nice and pretty before and only started to decline after harvest! I am very sad. my whole harvest gone to waste. I would like to think that the learning experience is worth its value, but I don't even know what the issue is!!

So please, Anyone...can you help me figure this out?! So that I can stop crying myself to sleep?

Take a look. The first two is Before I Harvest. They look okay.
    The second two are after taken two days into drying. They look like little brown shit turds. WHY?

You did something wrong with these during flowering stages etc. Your pics show either too much applied H20 or improper temps prior to harvest IMHO.

sunbiz1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sasharose View Post
    But why does it look like a brown turd. Like what everyone is saying, 'mexi weed.' which I dont think it is because they are beauitful when they where growing.

No I didnt use miracle grow.
    I was using supernatural bloom aqua
    CalMag
    and supernatural bloom maximizer.

Note that it started to turn to this brown turd before I put it in the oven. thats why I put it in the oven.

I have one more plant left. I am afraid to harvest it now. because I am afraid that I am doing something wrong. how could it be so hard. NO light. keep temps around 85. and humidity below 50. this is very discouraging.

Could it be bud rot?

OVEN?=why did I even respond to this thread...ROFL!

jakester is offline Registered+
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbiz1 View Post
    OVEN?=why did I even respond to this thread...ROFL!
    I didn't see anyone say the oven was turned on.
    Think of your buds like chocolate chip cookies: some people like em crunchy and some people like em chewy. Personally, I want them tanned golden brown but not crispy....and no one likes cold raw dough in the middle of their cookie.

31steel is offline Registered

I FEEL YA

We are doing somthing wrong for shure. My last batch of WW,K2 and JH all finished brown like that. I am drying this batch right now and doing things a little differently. Will let you know how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 31steel View Post
    We are doing somthing wrong for shure. My last batch of WW,K2 and JH all finished brown like that. I am drying this batch right now and doing things a little differently. Will let you know how this goes.
    Would you happen to have any pics of the brown buds taken with a flash on the camera? just like the pic of the one before it was brown?

From the color/darkness of the first few photos It's very hard to see anything wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing differently? Be sure its dark, warm, and don't put fans directly on the drying plants.

good luck this time around!
    When in doubt, fill it out. :CanCom Troubleshooting Form

Any/all posts made by the person(s) under this username are 100% fictional and are for the purpose of online role play. Any/all images/videos associated with this username are compiled from various locations on the internet and are in no way connected to person(s) under this username. Therefore, any form of media associated with this username should be regarded as solely fictional and for entertainment purposes only.

moody420 is offline Registered+
    I'd have to agree with most and say it dosen't look that bad....the bud looks good to smoke. It takes a few weeks of drying and curing to get the bud to start smelling yummy!

I do have a few questions....why did you flower for 11 weeks??? And what faddenator said "what is that white shit on your plants"? that doesn't look normal....i would be concerned about that....

if you don't feel like your buds are good enough to smoke I would grind them up and either make some nice cannabutter or some bubble hash....no reason to waste it. At least you can still get something out of your harvest!

good luck man!
    Mellow mood has got me, darlin'.
    Let the music rock me, darlin'.
    'Cause I got your love, darlin'.
    Love, sweet love, darlin'.

A tad heavy on the nutes prior to harvest. But 23 responses and nobody could point-out that the pistils (white hairs that capture/transport pollen) color-up as they die...? Changes can go deeper if properly cured. I've seen reds, browns, pinks, oranges...

Once in a while I 'bake' my buds. (doing without is not an option)
    I break 'em down to approximatelly 2 inch buds and use the 'dehydrate' setting on my toaster oven (fan forced 150 degrees) for 15 to 20 minutes for the first round. Stir 'em up, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir again, 5 to 10 minutes. Then I leave 1/2 of 'em out overnight to finish drying, the other half goes into curing jars. Anyone got a problem with that?

Smoking the oven-baked is, of course, harsher than cured buds, but sometimes ya just can't wait.
    Last edited by Rusty Trichome; Feb-25-2010 at 07:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast